The Salvation Army Employee Reviews

Safe enviroment
Store Clerk (Former Employee) –  London, ON1 December 2015
I only volunteered for a week, but over all I managed a better organizing skills. Never really came in contact with co-workers much unless I brought boxes of outdated clothes to the back entrance. I didn't find there was any hard part about this job. Most enjoyable part was being asked the same question over and over again from customers.
Pros
Mcdonalds across street
Bad management, good benefits
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC18 November 2015
I worked at Salvation Army for 2 years. The management was not the best but they did give good benefits. We had to go through raw donations and some of the things we came across were disgusting and half the time they didn't have gloves for us to wear. I even had to pick up a needle that someone had left outside of our store. Obviously I had put gloves on for this, I actually put on about three different pairs.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Bad management
Productive and Friendly Employees
Supervisor - Julia Parker (Former Employee) –  London, ON17 November 2015
My day was always filled with friendliness and support from staff. A very giving and charitable organization and it was a privilege to have worked with them.
Work was good
Custodian (Current Employee) –  Gravenhurst, ON13 November 2015
No money and no increases. Receive and process donations, Dump run with company vehicle. The actual job is worth more than minimum wage.
Pros
For a good cause
Cons
part time-no money
Fun in the workplace
Camp Counsellor (summer employment) (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON13 November 2015
On a typical day I would teach arts and crafts along with bible stories to children of all ages.

I learned how to discipline people differently because everyone has a different mental capacity and it was about finding that balance

Played games with all children on a daily basis
Pros
I got to be a kid all day at work
Cons
Challenging to deal with some children on a day to day basis
it was a community service job
Floor Hand (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON2 November 2015
often i was tagging clothes or i was on the floor generally easy. the other members of the company were all nice, i was doing school hours at this busenuiess and that is all.
fun place to work and rewarding
Key holder, Full time production (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB2 November 2015
The Salvation Army was a great experience, it was a busy store. It was rewarding helping those in need. There was always something to do and we were faced with different challenges everyday.I enjoyed the problem solving and teamwork it involved
Review summary
Christmas Hamper Help (Former Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC26 October 2015
Volunteering for the Christmas Hamper at Salvation army was such a great experiance, i felt like I was really helping. Picking out toys and clothings for the children was a really great time.
excellent interpersonal skills
Residential care worker (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB26 October 2015
learned how to communicate and accomplish alot as being apart of a team member. I did daily intake, distribute mail, answer phones and redirected them to apporiate departments.
good work place
Cleaner/Maintenance/ stocking sehelf (Former Employee) –  Elliot Lake, ON26 October 2015
all ways leaning new things each day and how to deal with it.Do your best and work well with co-worker and you will enjoy your job and the day will go by fast.And help other as you can and it makes you fell good about your self.
great place to work
Kettle Attendant (Former Employee) –  Beamsville, ON19 October 2015
its good to help people out and give them the help they need. sometimes just helping out a little helps a lot. easy work as well
Residential Counsellor (Current Employee) –  Dundas, ON16 October 2015
I found this agency very accommodating for my work schedule and the management very supportive ! They provide training when needed and communication with employees is superior.
Pros
Working with clients
Cons
nights not great to work ....
good
home support worker (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB8 October 2015
It was nice helping people who really need some help and support. it was quite challenging at times but overall it was a good experience.
Challenging, Christian, Child Care Environment
In Cabin Counselor (Former Employee) –  Gibsons, BC5 October 2015
Dynamic atmosphere while working with young kids, yet constant in the practice of procedure. Compensation is too little for such long in-cabin hours.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Long Hours
Interesting place to work at
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON3 October 2015
I really enjoyed working at Salvation Army because I had the opportunity to provide customer service to people with disabilities and that was a very rewarding experience.
Pros
there was always something to do
Cons
productive and fun working environment in the kitchen
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC1 October 2015
I worked mostly with the sheaf at the Salvation army to make the food, prepare the food, pack the food and fruit to distribute among the public. It was fun and rewarding to be able to connect with the public and engage with them.
A nice place to work
Donor Administrator (Former Employee) –  Calgary1 October 2015
You will never be rich working for the Salvation Army, but there were nice people and minimal stress. A day would start with greeting, prepping and starting the day.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Did not pay well
life/work balance was the best part
Food Bank Coordinator/Thrift Store Clerk (Current Employee) –  Ingersoll, ON30 September 2015
The life/work balance was good as it was a five day work week and allowed me time with my young son on weekends. The customers/clients were wonderful to interact with and I earned several new skills.
Pros
wonderful customers
Cons
no direction from supervisers/management
very satisfying
Officer (Former Employee) –  different places25 September 2015
Working with The Salvation Army, I could not even explain how a typical day would be, because every day was different.. from being in charge for office work, to youth programs, seniors groups, sunday preparation, organizing events.. very busy, but very rewarding
Pros
great benefits
Cons
A miserable place to work.
Residential Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC19 September 2015
I was not called upon to use my skills. I was not respected and the position caused me a great deal of stress, which manifested itself physically.
Pros
None.
Cons
Working there