The Salvation Army Employee Reviews in Canada

good
home support worker (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABOctober 8, 2015
It was nice helping people who really need some help and support. it was quite challenging at times but overall it was a good experience.
Good place to practice using people skills.
Kitchen Steward (Former Employee) –  Williams Lake, BCMay 4, 2015
I volunteered with them a long time ago and still remember working behind the counter with a co-worker. I worked on morning shift and afternoon shift. I also stayed until I was the second last person out of the Drop-in because, my co-worker was the person that had to lock the door after work. I love working with others and don't find it hard to help anybody.
Pros
Nice people to work with.
Cons
To volunteer means I can not get money for being a volunteer.
good work
Stock Person (Former Employee) –  Duncan, BCMay 14, 2015
when I was in middle school I was looking for a start in work experience and my friend did volunteer work here. I didn't start here but when I did work here I was happy to wake up early and working independently. I wake up early as 5:30 and try to be flexible for work I want to be prepared and will take any job. no excuses I will learn how to do my work.
Pros
I am helping others
Cons
not too sure.
Great teamwork with my co-workers
Part Time Thrift Store Worker (Current Employee) –  Bridgetown, NSApril 26, 2015
Our team of staff is amazing and has the ability to meet customer needs and provide friendly customer service and satisfaction.

We face challenges everyday as staff that no one sees behind the scenes, such as digging through dusty and sometimes dirty or hazardous donations that come into our store in order to find the good stuff that we need to sell to our customers and to keep the store running on a daily basis. We are also a religious organization, so we must always remember to show compassion and sensitivity to those who sometimes come into our store seeking help from the church.

We enjoy dealing with customers and knowing that our hard work is also contributing towards helping the community as well.
Janitorial Cleaner (Former Employee) –  EdmontonABSeptember 17, 2015
ITS real fun working with the salvation Army with Seniors .

Enjoy it . but i have to move on . Thanks ?

Doing mopping dusting make the beds up .

Empty garbagge
Underappreciated and underpaid
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Pine Lake, ABApril 11, 2015
Although I met great people I felt severely underappreciated for the hard work and long hours I put in. I was not made aware of many important facts such as my shift times (I assumed I worked until I was done, apparently I only got paid until 5 however actually worked until 11pm sometimes after starting at 8am) my partner was consistently late and faced no penalties. Overall wasn't worth the great people I met. I was unpaid for awhile due to an error they could not fix.
Cons
Underappreciated, overworked
Friendly and and an excellant learning experience
Floor Counsellor (Current Employee) –  Harbour LightsApril 30, 2015
It is a wonderful place to work. Co-workers are friendly and helpful and provided the best training. I have learnt more about Case management, note taking and providing one on one counselling to the residential clients during my short time at Harbour Lights
Pros
Possiblity for advancement
Cons
Some shifts are long
Good volunteer work
VOLUNTEER (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONJuly 3, 2015
great volunteer work for youth and friendly helplful supervisors. Learn the importance of giving back. Hard to know exactly how supervisors want tasks to be done.
Pros
Friendly supervisors
Cons
rarely but at times confusing instructions
Team members lacked sense of urgency and professionalism
Donations attendant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJuly 12, 2015
I enjoyed working within the salvation army, the people on the other hand were something else. very unprofessional and mean.
Pros
Outside all day
Cons
Childish management team
Horrible Manager
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCApril 22, 2015
Manager was lazy and demanding. Work was generally carried by one or two people, while the manager took smoke breaks and sat in her office the entire day. She also came in late many days saying "she deserved it for working so hard". The only good part about working for the Salvation Army is experience for resume. Pay wasn't enough for the slaves we were treated like.
not good
Volunteer Janitor (Former Employee) –  Williams Lake, BCJuly 27, 2015
I am not impressed with the new captain and wife running the Salvation Army in Williams Lake. I did enjoy meeting all the new people and seeing them smile most of the time
Pros
meet people
Cons
not enough hours
Good place to work and grow your faith
Cabin Leader (Former Employee) –  Jacksons Point, ONJune 3, 2015
You are responsible for watching over young kids and leading them to activities like hockey, canoeing and crafts.The hardest part of the job is dealing with the stress of watching over so many kids 24/7 but its worth it for the experience you get out of it.
A great work and learning experience
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONMarch 29, 2015
At each of these places, i was able to improve my job skills and get some new ones such as multicultural sensitivity and technical skills . They both had very friendly and cooperative management teams which i learnt a lot from. The hardest part was trying to balance school work with it and also coming to terms with the work load which i eventually succeed in doing. overall, every other thing was very enjoyable.
Pros
volunteer hours and the acknowledgment
Cons
work load
Cook (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ONApril 17, 2015
a typical day is a serve a lot of people free food. I learned a lot about compassion for all people. Management is excellent, my co-workers are great. The hardest part of the job is not giving everything we have away to the people who come to us for help, moderation. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping people.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
hard to organize donations
Enjoy working for the Salvation Army
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  TORONTO, ONJuly 23, 2015
The Salvation Army is an outstanding place to work - Management is great to work for and with.

Enjoy company's BBQ and celebration
Pros
Enjoy company's BBQ and celebration
Cons
N/A
always will love the sally
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ONAugust 12, 2015
Great place to work, with amazing employees and management.
always loved working on tills and talking with all the customers.
Pretty good place to work
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Fort St John, BCJuly 10, 2015
Captains at the Salvation Army are caring and compassionate and not only help the broad community, but will do whatever they can for employees
Pros
Good atmosphere
Cons
Poor Pay
Professional, friendly environment
Case Worker (Former Employee) –  Dunnville, ONApril 6, 2015
I have loved every minute of my placement at the Salvation Army. All staff has welcomed me with open arms and taught me so much. I have appreciated the time they have spent with me and the skills I have been able to take home and use in my future career in the Social Services field.
Well organized and fun environment to work in.
Youth Mentor/Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 31, 2015
A typical day at the Salvation army would be picking up kids after school, feeding them, helping them with their homework and then have fun after. Learning how to manage my time in order for me to help the kids has helped me a lot. Since there was no hard part in this volunteer experience I enjoyed every minute of helping the children and speaking with them personally.
Pros
free snacks
Cons
Shelter for women and children who have gone through abuse
Child Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONJanuary 27, 2015
Safe and welcoming enviroment with supportive and careing people working with you and for you. At the Salvation Army it is their job to provide women and children who have dealt in abusive situations, with shelter, food, clothes, and most importantly support and a new start. It is one of the top ranking shelters. My time their was amazing and never wasted. They are good people doing good things.
Pros
working woth children, great experiance, wonderful people
Cons
had to bus it home