The Salvation Army

The Salvation Army Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Stressful place to work
Sales clerk (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 3, 2013
Pros: few
Cons: very unhealthy work environment
Tag clothes, sort, hang in retail store.
uneducated
very good atmosphere
Sorter in back (Former Employee), Miramichi, NBJune 22, 2013
Pros: got to see people face to face and find out what they were looking for.
Cons: i don't know there were any cons.
loved working with all those people. It was a very enjoyable experience.
Great Organization
Human Resources Representative (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MB.June 10, 2013
A great organization dedicating to helping others. Opportunity for growth and advancement.
Good Costomer service
Sales associate (Current Employee), Scarborough, canadaJune 8, 2013
Pros: good expereance
Cons: lern more
Good Sales
Costomer service
hard working
Frienly
good expereance in canada. friendy and fun work. good management. helping to peoples
great place to work with awesome staff and clientel
Residential Care Worker (Current Employee), Windsor, ONJune 7, 2013
Pros: great people
Cons: i'm on call
I love my job I work with only man that have mental disabilities they are very respectable. My work place holds confidentiality very high and is a Christian based organization.
The staff and managers I worked with over the years were great.
SALES ASSOCIATE/STORE ASSISTANT MANAGER (Former Employee), Langley & Surrey BCJune 6, 2013
Pros: finding unique treasure and meeting new people
Cons: finding unique treasure and meeting unique people
There were a couple of managers that I worked under that made all the difference in making it a great job. We also had some great team members that we managed at the various stores we managed. Upper management at Head office wasn't always a pleasure to work with or for, but it's the team you work with on a daily basis that really matters. Salary was – more... average and there was opportunity to move up as a store manager but not anywhere beyond that. The hardest part of the job was probably dealing with customers, but it was also the most rewarding. A typical day working in a Thrift store was ensuring that donations were sorted and what was salable was priced and then put onto the sales floor. It was not an easy job but was truly fun because you never knew what you'd find in that next box! – less
Concern for clients, acceptable working conditions, listens to concerns but are sometimes slow to re-act.
Supervisor (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 23, 2013
Pros: management generally available to staff for assistance whether job or personal related.
Cons: slow to re-act to some situations that had a negative impact down the road.
- Interactions with clients
- Learned all aspects of C.S.C. paroles policies & procedures & set up most internal procedures.
- Internal communication was an issue at times. Not everyone was on the same page
- Learned all aspects of the City's SMIS system & trained staff on this system.
- Learned every aspect of any new job or situation put to me. Much – more... of this was self taught
- Always was excited when a client moved on whether it was finding a place, job, ongoing work with addictions etc. – less
I learned a lot while working here.
Cashier / Sales Clerk (Former Employee), Mill Bay, BCMay 16, 2013
Pros: free lunches, commaraderie
Cons: hard work and long hours
My job was very busy and there was always work to do. Depending on what job I was doing it was imperative I be taking care of the clients. Management was always watching what the staff was doing in the best interests of the clients. My coworkers were very loyal and studious workers. They believed completely in their jobs. The hardest part of the job – more... was watching the hard road some of our clents were travelling and not being able to do anything for them. The most enjoyable part of the job was the success story of one of our clients. – less
stressful but FUN
Cashier/Store Clerk (Current Employee), granville, bcMay 14, 2013
Pros: i can take one month vacation
Cons: always nightshift
I like working at Salvation army, been working there since 2008, loved the people who works there, they're fun to work with, we're like a family working together, the customers (well some) =)
I learned a lot from working here, how salvation army help people, ex. homelessness, kids camp, ambulance, firefighters etc.

The hardest part on working at Salvation – more... army was you work around the store from pricing, sorting, cashier, donation & paperwork but the wages only goes up 1%-2% every year. Sadly, year 2013 my wage is still around $10.71 =( so I think its time for me to find a second job.

It's fun to work here, you'll meet different people from different culture & backgrounds. – less
review on my volunteer exp at Salvation Army
Merchandiser (Former Employee), 1225 Kennedy Rd, Scarborough, ON M1P 4Y1May 14, 2013
Pros: good community
Cons: no cons
A typical work day consists of me making sure clothes are in proper place and helping customers find what they need. I have learned patience from having to deal with customers & my boss. The most enjoyable part of my job was how kind the co-workers treated me.
Volunteering for Salvation Army
volunteer (Former Employee), Prince George, BCMay 8, 2013
Pros: free lunch
I worked a lot of types of job in Salvation Army. Sometimes I served food to the people in need while other time I handed out basic life's need to homeless individuals. Although I was not paid at all, I enjoyed working there as my managers and coworkers were all very nice individuals.
good setting
sales associate (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONMay 7, 2013
Pros: flexible schedule
Cons: no room for advancement
Very busy job. Day went fast. Enjoyed the interaction with customers.
Volunteering.
Childcare (Former Employee), Halifax, NSMay 2, 2013
The people were all very friendly, and treat me with respect.
Productive and fun workplace
Summer Student (Former Employee), Sault Ste. Marie, ONApril 14, 2013
Pros: lunches, co-workers
Cons: long hours
I have learned a lot from working at Salvation Army.
I got to learn how to pick up boxes the right way so you didn't put your back out. I learned how to deal with customers on a daily basis. The management was great. My co-workers were nice, and fun to be around, they helped me learn new tasks. The hardest part of the job is having to deal with mean – more... customers, and Folding clothes, putting them in boxes and labeling it by the seasons. The most enjoyable part of the job is going on breaks, and lunches. Also I enjoyed when they taught me how to use the cash register. – less
Great tenant
Residential Counsellor (Current Employee), hamilton onMarch 21, 2013
The most enjoyable part of my job is see my clients faces.They really appreciated what wee do for them.
Fun work place
Sales Clerk and Cashier (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBMarch 19, 2013
An inviting workplace, where all team members are really fun to be with.
A positive work enviroment with great learning experinces
Salvation Army Booth Center (Former Employee), St. Catharines, ONMarch 15, 2013
Pros: working with the clients and staff
My day at work would start out with signing into the log book to show that I am there. I would read through what has taken place with the clients in the log book during the hours I was not there. I then would present myself to the counselor to learn about what was happening for the day. I would help the clients and the staff would also help in a great – more... way. The staff took good care of each person no matter who they were or where they were from. My day then would end with me signing myself out of the log book when I completed my shift.
Every day was different and I learned allot from the staff and management while I completed my workplace training. I believe the Salvation Army is one of the most needed agencies in my region.
Five stars all the way for the work of the Salvation Army Booth Center. – less
fun workplace, friendly staff
I volunteer (Current Employee), Prince George, BCMarch 8, 2013
Pros: helping those in need
Cons: long hours, no pay
I volunteer with the Emergency Disaster Response. Here we supply food, clothing, and shelter for those in need during a disaster situation. Management and the co-workers are friendly outgoing people who have a to help those who are in need.
fun work place
Store Clerk (Former Employee), port elgin OnFebruary 27, 2013
Pros: 3 weeks vacatin pay upon hiring
Cons: lousy pay
Learned so much....wonderful managemt....fun girls to work with
My co-workers are great
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), North Bay, ONFebruary 24, 2013
Pros: my co-workers are great
Cons: the pay isn't so great and the big boss can be an unfair brute!!!
My co-workers are great however the "major" that runs our thrift store is biased and unfair when it comes to certain employees.

About The Salvation Army

The Salvation Army is a Christian church known for its thrift stores and charity work. It is an international movement that works – Read more

The Salvation Army Photos