The Salvation Army Employee Reviews

volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  st. vincentJanuary 8, 2016
it was a great place to volunteer, to help those who couldn't help themselves and provide for those who needed it the most.
Boring job
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 31, 2015
a typical day at salvation army would require me to constantly re arrange the clothes, i would have to help the customers wh come in, i would also have to help out in the store with sorting out the clothes. the management wasn't that good, i was pretty much not doing anything for ht most part because the management would run out of things for me to do. my co workers and i never really spoke much, the hardest part of the job was how boring it was and the most enjoyable part of the job was nothing.
Enjoyable Workplace
Casual Front Line Worker (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONJanuary 16, 2013
When I attend work, we start off with "shift change" which consists of the previous shift passing on any information that the starting shift need to know in regards to the facility, clients and staff. The rest of the shift consists of clerical work including but not limited to:

- Filing
- Client intake and discharge
- Distributing necessary supplies to clients
- Building security
- Counselling
- Serving meals
- Answering phone calls

I learned great customer service skills as well as crisis intervention and to work well alone as well as within a team.

Management staff at The Salvation Army are very supportive and eager to teach other staff.

My co-workers work well together and are very reliable. They are very inspirational and work hard to make sure clients are satisfied and so that work is distributed evenly.

The hardest part of my job is feeling for the clients that I am in contact with, they come from all walks of life and some have a very traumatizing history and its hard not to sympathize too much.

The most enjoyable part of my job is knowing that I am helping people get back on their feet and lending them a hand up.
Pros
very fulfilling job
Cons
not enough shifts
always will love the sally
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ONAugust 12, 2015
Great place to work, with amazing employees and management.
always loved working on tills and talking with all the customers.
seasonal employment review
Advertising Advocate (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONJune 12, 2015
The position is seasonal and offers no permanent work. Due to the charity nature of the work, the wages are low.

I interacted with the public to increase donations, which I really enjoyed.

The work was part time which allowed personal time.

The management team was accessible online through email and punctual at work.

The short term nature of the work was the hardest part of the job.
Daily work
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  ottawaJuly 6, 2015
My day starts with cleaning the cash area, then at nine i open the doors to stores. Im often at cash or work on floor. coworkers are amazing. Hardest part of the job lack of appreciation and repetitive work. Management can definitely improve.
I have learn about various brands and giving customer service.
Pros
50% employee discount
Cons
repetitive work
Average retail job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Vernon, BCDecember 9, 2015
Worked the cash most of the time. Was always dusty but it wasn't a bad place to work. Everyone treated each other well. Just wasn't a long term job for me after high school
good work place
Cleaner/Maintenance/ stocking sehelf (Former Employee) –  Elliot Lake, ONOctober 26, 2015
all ways leaning new things each day and how to deal with it.Do your best and work well with co-worker and you will enjoy your job and the day will go by fast.And help other as you can and it makes you fell good about your self.
Underappreciated and underpaid
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Pine Lake, ABApril 11, 2015
Although I met great people I felt severely underappreciated for the hard work and long hours I put in. I was not made aware of many important facts such as my shift times (I assumed I worked until I was done, apparently I only got paid until 5 however actually worked until 11pm sometimes after starting at 8am) my partner was consistently late and faced no penalties. Overall wasn't worth the great people I met. I was unpaid for awhile due to an error they could not fix.
Cons
Underappreciated, overworked
fun place to work and rewarding
Key holder, Full time production (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NBNovember 2, 2015
The Salvation Army was a great experience, it was a busy store. It was rewarding helping those in need. There was always something to do and we were faced with different challenges everyday.I enjoyed the problem solving and teamwork it involved
a great place to work at
Customer service - Food Bank Consultant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 1, 2013
it has been a great. ive meet so many vulnerable people who are willing to give a helping hand, there has been a poor management at a place i was working at, great atmosphere, the hardest part of the was working long hours, and the most enjoyable was the people i work with..
Pros
working at your own pace
Cons
poor management
Work was good
Custodian (Current Employee) –  Gravenhurst, ONNovember 13, 2015
No money and no increases. Receive and process donations, Dump run with company vehicle. The actual job is worth more than minimum wage.
Pros
For a good cause
Cons
part time-no money
Productive and Friendly Employees
Supervisor - Julia Parker (Former Employee) –  London, ONNovember 17, 2015
My day was always filled with friendliness and support from staff. A very giving and charitable organization and it was a privilege to have worked with them.
A great work and learning experience
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONMarch 29, 2015
At each of these places, i was able to improve my job skills and get some new ones such as multicultural sensitivity and technical skills . They both had very friendly and cooperative management teams which i learnt a lot from. The hardest part was trying to balance school work with it and also coming to terms with the work load which i eventually succeed in doing. overall, every other thing was very enjoyable.
Pros
volunteer hours and the acknowledgment
Cons
work load
Fun meet new people and understanding new culture
Working as volunteer (Former Employee) –  RidgetownMay 19, 2015
Since,I was new to the country,working at salvation help me understand the culture. My boss and other employees were very friendly and co-operative with me. I had two bosses, from one I learned discipline and the other Customer Service skills.Tough part of my job was lifting heavy weights and the best part is i have many really good friends.
Enjoy working for the Salvation Army
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  TORONTO, ONJuly 23, 2015
The Salvation Army is an outstanding place to work - Management is great to work for and with.

Enjoy company's BBQ and celebration
Pros
Enjoy company's BBQ and celebration
Cons
N/A
Cook (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ONApril 17, 2015
a typical day is a serve a lot of people free food. I learned a lot about compassion for all people. Management is excellent, my co-workers are great. The hardest part of the job is not giving everything we have away to the people who come to us for help, moderation. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping people.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
hard to organize donations
Team members lacked sense of urgency and professionalism
Donations attendant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJuly 12, 2015
I enjoyed working within the salvation army, the people on the other hand were something else. very unprofessional and mean.
Pros
Outside all day
Cons
Childish management team
An alright place to work, feels good after a shift
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  263 Queen street eastJune 29, 2014
I volunteered here as reference.
My experience with the Salvation Army was good.
A day usually for me just went like moving stuff to a display area to sell it, organizing clothing racks and talking with customers.
I learned that the customer is always right and it's my duty to help them in whichever way they need, with a good attitude.
The management is a little haphazard, but here it's good to take initiative and figure out what needs to be done.
The co-workers all have their tasks and were generally nice, not a bad group to joke around with and have fun while you work.
The hardest part of the job I'd say is finding where to put things, and even that's not that hard.
I enjoyed meeting people and putting smiles on faces.
Pros
relatively simple work
Cons
trying to find a place for things can be difficult
Productive and fun workplace
SERVER/SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BCMay 4, 2012
- very busy
- learned to manage my chores to save many trips
- very poorly managed
- very young employees (14 years old)
- keeping the young ones on task without being too hard on them
- serving great food to very nice customers
Pros
free lunches, free suppers
Cons
long hours, late night shifts, no benefits, low pay

The Salvation Army Reviews by Location