The Salvation Army Employee Reviews in Canada

Mundane, unfriendly and unrewarding
Cashier/Production Clerk (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SaskatchewanJune 19, 2015
Although I do like customrer service the Salvation Army was mundane and boring. A typical day consisted of sorting clothes, stocking the racks and shelves and assisting customers. I was able to enhance my customer service skills. The management team was unfriendly, rude and disrespectful. My co-workers varied from being very nice to being rude and obnoxious. The hardest part of my job was dealing with the unpleasant social environment. The most enjoyable part of my job was working with the customers.
Pros
Pay check
Cons
Unfriendly, mundane
Productive and Friendly Employees
Supervisor - Julia Parker (Former Employee) –  London, ONNovember 17, 2015
My day was always filled with friendliness and support from staff. A very giving and charitable organization and it was a privilege to have worked with them.
it was a community service job
Floor Hand (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ONNovember 2, 2015
often i was tagging clothes or i was on the floor generally easy. the other members of the company were all nice, i was doing school hours at this busenuiess and that is all.
Productive and fun workplace
SERVER/SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BCMay 4, 2012
- very busy
- learned to manage my chores to save many trips
- very poorly managed
- very young employees (14 years old)
- keeping the young ones on task without being too hard on them
- serving great food to very nice customers
Pros
free lunches, free suppers
Cons
long hours, late night shifts, no benefits, low pay
Playing with children
Resident Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Yellowknife, NTJune 11, 2015
Working with outreach people. Addiction Counselling. At the men shelter serving food and shelter, maintain peace, doing programs.

I learned to,promote the dignity of all persons, meet human needs and being a transforming influence in the communities of our world, striving to be the best at what we do, honesty, trustworthy, and accountablity, Committment etc.,

I enjoying working as a team with co-workers, sharing food, learning culture, being honest and commeted.

Saying No, this is hard part of my life.

I enjoying by working. I feel work is worship.
Pros
According to the shift . lunch / supper
Cons
12hrs
excellent interpersonal skills
Residential care worker (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBOctober 26, 2015
learned how to communicate and accomplish alot as being apart of a team member. I did daily intake, distribute mail, answer phones and redirected them to apporiate departments.
such a rewarding place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONAugust 25, 2015
The salvation Army was a great place to work. I felt like I was really giving back to the community. The staff was very helpful towards me being new to the team, made me feel very welcome.
Although I felt as though some of the tasks they would assign needed extra protection such as gloves and cleaning products and they would not supply such things to do these jobs.
Pros
very fullfilling working with community
Review summary
Christmas Hamper Help (Former Employee) –  Chilliwack, BCOctober 26, 2015
Volunteering for the Christmas Hamper at Salvation army was such a great experiance, i felt like I was really helping. Picking out toys and clothings for the children was a really great time.
productive and fun working environment in the kitchen
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BCOctober 1, 2015
I worked mostly with the sheaf at the Salvation army to make the food, prepare the food, pack the food and fruit to distribute among the public. It was fun and rewarding to be able to connect with the public and engage with them.
great place to work
Kettle Attendant (Former Employee) –  Beamsville, ONOctober 19, 2015
its good to help people out and give them the help they need. sometimes just helping out a little helps a lot. easy work as well
Unsteady hours
Sales Associate/ Cashier/ Part-time Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCSeptember 11, 2015
This work environment was dysfunctional at best, and the hours were not always consistent with what was promised. Not being paid for overtime also seemed to be a huge issue while working for this company.
Friendly and and an excellant learning experience
Floor Counsellor (Current Employee) –  Harbour LightsApril 30, 2015
It is a wonderful place to work. Co-workers are friendly and helpful and provided the best training. I have learnt more about Case management, note taking and providing one on one counselling to the residential clients during my short time at Harbour Lights
Pros
Possiblity for advancement
Cons
Some shifts are long
Nice place to work for a short time.
Production Worker/Cashier (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NLNovember 12, 2014
The benefits package at the Salvation Army are wonderful, but the work is very hard, physically demanding, repetitive and uninteresting.
Boring job
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 31, 2015
a typical day at salvation army would require me to constantly re arrange the clothes, i would have to help the customers wh come in, i would also have to help out in the store with sorting out the clothes. the management wasn't that good, i was pretty much not doing anything for ht most part because the management would run out of things for me to do. my co workers and i never really spoke much, the hardest part of the job was how boring it was and the most enjoyable part of the job was nothing.
A nice place to work
Donor Administrator (Former Employee) –  CalgaryOctober 1, 2015
You will never be rich working for the Salvation Army, but there were nice people and minimal stress. A day would start with greeting, prepping and starting the day.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Did not pay well
Underappreciated and underpaid
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Pine Lake, ABApril 11, 2015
Although I met great people I felt severely underappreciated for the hard work and long hours I put in. I was not made aware of many important facts such as my shift times (I assumed I worked until I was done, apparently I only got paid until 5 however actually worked until 11pm sometimes after starting at 8am) my partner was consistently late and faced no penalties. Overall wasn't worth the great people I met. I was unpaid for awhile due to an error they could not fix.
Cons
Underappreciated, overworked
Daily work
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  ottawaJuly 6, 2015
My day starts with cleaning the cash area, then at nine i open the doors to stores. Im often at cash or work on floor. coworkers are amazing. Hardest part of the job lack of appreciation and repetitive work. Management can definitely improve.
I have learn about various brands and giving customer service.
Pros
50% employee discount
Cons
repetitive work
Great experience
Clothing Associate in the donation center (Former Employee) –  Deer Lake, NLSeptember 14, 2015
Working at The Salvation Army Thrift Store was a great experience. the organization helped out the community in so many ways and i am grateful having to experience it.
Pros
Life lessons learnt
seasonal employment review
Advertising Advocate (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONJune 12, 2015
The position is seasonal and offers no permanent work. Due to the charity nature of the work, the wages are low.

I interacted with the public to increase donations, which I really enjoyed.

The work was part time which allowed personal time.

The management team was accessible online through email and punctual at work.

The short term nature of the work was the hardest part of the job.
Very demanding and a lot of pressure
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONSeptember 26, 2014
Good benefits and paycheck, however you do work a lot and sometimes it fells like you live there. It possesses you completely.
Pros
closed sundays
Cons
too much pressure