The Salvation Army Employee Reviews

salvation army
Store Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON21 June 2016
working for the salvation army gave me great experience in managing two store locations also it enhanced my customer service experience
enjoyable place to work
Receptionist/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Belfast, NIR26 January 2016
I enjoyed working at the Salvation Army and I learned many skills here that have helped me work with the public in many situations. I worked my way up from being a dishwasher to being the Head Receptionist and Administrative Assistant. A typical day at work included answering telephones, meeting and greeting the public, using Microsoft Office, Accounts, Inventories, Cashing up Register at the end of the day. I loved working in this type of environment
Good Place for Volunteering.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 May 2016
I was a volunteer at the salvation army, it was easy going and fun, the people there were very warm and kindhearted people as well as very welcoming.
very human experiences every day
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Chilliwack. b.c.12 February 2016
serving breakfast and chatting with clientele
discussing possibilities and days events with clientele
problem solving, finding answers, defusing frustration from escalating
verbalizing options of clients and finding avenues for them to follow.
filing, telephone calls, data entry,
interviewing and assessing situations and conditions of people in the moment
calling appropriate agencies, looking up on line for information
in-taking whilst being unprejudiced, non- judgmental or indifferent
showing a compassionate and empathetic attitude, both with body language and voice tones
ensuring safety and cleanliness was upheld, both by staff as well as clientele
being honest and straightforward
Pros
enjoyed the daily challanges, with working amoungst the homeless
Cons
found that after almost 6 years, i was becoming detached and a bit sceptic of others...
enjoyable and great staff
Facilities Manager (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB26 April 2016
working with the army has educated me in what hard ships peole face ,not only day to day ,but also long term. I now do more for people in need and look different at my surroundings
Fun
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 April 2016
It was fun wrapping gifts for a good cause. Working with co workers was nice. Hardest part of job was around christmas time when there was a lot go gift wrapping to do.
Great Coworkers
Health Cake Worker (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC16 May 2016
Although the days are long, it goes by great. I have had the pleasure of having the best coworkers I could ever ask for. Management is supportive.
Front desk Clerk (Former Employee) –  Weyburn, SK2 May 2016
I loved my co-workers. Everyone became like a family in this work environment and we were always helping the less fortunate
Pros
amazing coworkers
Cons
drive to work
Great place to work and experience such diversity.
Intake & Assessment Worker (part-time) (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON12 January 2016
A constant change in atmospheres due to such challenging situations. Very supportive environment with co-workers and Management. Hardest part of the job is seeing clients unfortunate situations. Most enjoyable part of my job is being able to help and return smiles to my clients faces.
clean
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON16 March 2016
A lot people come shopping most of them is the old people old people their nice i love helping them and they have a lot of stories to tell plus when they cant pick up heavy stuff i always help them and they love me.
Intensive work environment
Residential Worker (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON17 February 2016
on the midnight shift I took part in file managemnent, as well as doing house checks and maintaning log books. I enjoyed connecting with clients and helping them complete there goals set out in there case management plans.
work environment great
Family Services(Externship) (Former Employee) –  Bloor Cenytral26 March 2016
a lot of room to enhance interpersonal skills as well learning to deal with the public as individuals as a whole. As well as being to understand their needs.
kettle worker
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Hagersville, ON19 January 2016
Fun meeting people. And how people are very good at giving money.
I enjoy talking to people. I stand near at kettle and people put money in the kettle. The people l work with are very nine, a helpful. The hardest part of the job is l like walking around. l like help people.
Pros
great lunch
Cons
hour not long alot
Camp: A Balance of Life Skills and Workplace fun
Cook's Helper (Former Employee) –  Thorburn, NS1 September 2016
Scotian Glen Camp is the best place to start your working career. This camp that is operated by the Salvation Army is a camp where kids from all over the maritimes enjoy an entire week at camp. I have experience in three different job positions there: Kitchen Support, Cabin Counselor and Cook's Helper. A typical day at work would be long hours, but with the help of my team it was a productive day. It was always fast-paced which I enjoyed. I learned about time management, communication and patience. Most importantly, I learned to enjoy my positions not just for the pay, but for the experiences and fun that it entailed. I found some of the managements I had were tougher than others; however, it was all good learning experiences. Depending on the job, I found at times some of my co-workers would be slacking off and I would have to pull their weight. Other than that, always a great team. The hardest part about my job is when I would have children that would not listen. The best way I responded to that is that I would keep my patience, and find alternative ways to solve the problems. Communication skills played a big role in solving problems at camp. The most enjoyable part of my job is to see how my hard work played a role in the lives of the kids attending the camp.
Pros
Free living, free food, spiritual guidance
Cons
Long hours, stressful
great organization to work for and build experience
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB26 February 2016
It is an empowering organization with an amazing value. The goal of people is to help others and I enjoyed working here. Everyone is very understanding and encouraging.
Bad management, good benefits
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC18 November 2015
I worked at Salvation Army for 2 years. The management was not the best but they did give good benefits. We had to go through raw donations and some of the things we came across were disgusting and half the time they didn't have gloves for us to wear. I even had to pick up a needle that someone had left outside of our store. Obviously I had put gloves on for this, I actually put on about three different pairs.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Bad management
A truely giving place to work.
Cook full coursed meals for 300 men (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 April 2016
Salvation Army helps so many people and I was so lucky to be part of that.
So many caring people all in one place. Beautiful
fruitful and beneficial employment
a volunteer (Current Employee) –  Wingham, ON22 December 2015
These different jobs helped me to grow and stretch in my understanding and application of the Christian faith. I found opportunity to develop my thinking on the intellectual foundations of my theological position.
Pros
Opportunity to study.
Cons
Sometimes there were interpersonal and sibling conflicts.
clean work space
FRONTLINE SUPPORT STAFF (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, ON26 March 2016
very nice new building, great place to start your social work career. good staff and a great daily plan for clients to get back on there feet and start a new.
Safe enviroment
Store Clerk (Former Employee) –  London, ON1 December 2015
I only volunteered for a week, but over all I managed a better organizing skills. Never really came in contact with co-workers much unless I brought boxes of outdated clothes to the back entrance. I didn't find there was any hard part about this job. Most enjoyable part was being asked the same question over and over again from customers.
Pros
Mcdonalds across street