The Salvation Army

The Salvation Army Employee Reviews

Fun environment
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 August 2016
A typical day at work is fun well productive. There are always new faces and new finds.Everyone is friendly and encourages one another to bring forth their bests.
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL3 June 2016
The salvation army was a great place to be apart of. As i was attending school in September my position was not offered as part time and due to my scheduled not accommodating the work hours required I had no other choice but to resign.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Unsafe donations
Productive team
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC21 June 2016
I used to worked full time with Salvation Army before I back to school. I enjoyed my worked as being with the team. I worked with incredible team that was my enjoyable part of my job.
Pros
Good team work
Cons
Some time needed to work in donation alone.
Easy place to work hard.
Anchorage Addictions Counselor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 April 2016
A typical work day started at 08:00 and completed at 16:00. A lot of the skills I learned in the network administrator course were reinforced through the problem diagnostic and problem resolution process. I learned a lot about BlackBerry's and their use in government. Keeping track of the various problems and resolution is important since these problems repeat themselves. Remaining approachable with my coworkers is very important in keeping a positive team effort. The hardest part of the job was learning the proprietary government software. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people I worked with, they are very professional and genuinely good people. It was easy to work hard in that environment.
Pros
The people I worked with.
Cons
Only three month term contracts.
No benefits
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON23 July 2016
Cleaned the store in morning, had great co-workers, worked has a cashier/sales associate, customer service. A good place to work
Pros
Got great stuff donated
Cons
No full time positions
what I had to do
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB15 May 2016
I do not like the bar scene personally and I don't drink , but at this time I needed a casual job to help off set cost of living as a single mom of 3 !
I was able to work 3 nights per week after my regular job and the staff were very great and I have to admit it wasn't all bad being a bouncer in a bar in the NWT.
Clean environment, productive workplace
Shelf Stocker, Sales assistant, customer service (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON21 May 2016
The workplace is filled with friendly coworkers and supervisors to be around. The changing atmosphere of the workplace always provided an interesting and enjoyable experience.
Pros
long beraks
Housekeeper/Kitchen Helper (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 August 2016
I've always wanted to work in a kitchen, Salvation Army made that possible. I will always be grateful for them and all the experience they gave me.
Difficult but rewarding
Hostel & Front Desk worker (Former Employee) –  London23 March 2016
Co-workers are incredible for the most part, built a solid relationship with most of them. Very team-oriented environment.
Management seems to be a little out of the loop with what it is like to actually work the floors which results in some less than helpful advice from them.
Can be a little dangerous and difficult at times but overall rewarding.
Pros
Cheap lunches/dinners, team environment
Cons
Long hours, emotionally and mentally draining
Enjoyable staff, great workers and a fun envirorment
Kettle Host (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC19 June 2016
Worked alone, greeted people that donated and passed by. Got to meet a lot of nice people and would differently recommend this job to other people
Pros
Met a lot of people
Volunteer experience
reciever/retail worker (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON15 June 2016
Was good to volunteer but wouldnt prefer to work there as a retail worker, would rather work as a shipper/reciever. I learned what to do and what to not do as a retail worker. Co-workers are very nice.
A fun workplace with a lot of variety.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB23 March 2016
Salvation Army was one of the best workplaces I had worked for.
Even though it was only a summer job, I had enjoyed learning in practice about accounting, saw for the first time a balanced sheet,
took part in the staff meeting and enjoyed my co-workers jokes.
Both management and staff were very inclusive of me, and also very helpful professionally.
Helpful and friendly
Administrative Assistant (co-op) (Current Employee) –  London, ON15 June 2016
This was a 2 week co-op position that was at the end of my administration training. The work I did was mainly through the Microsoft Office tools, such as Word, Excel and Publisher.
Pretty Good overall
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Bells Corners, ON30 June 2016
Simple work, safe, but some customers can be on the annoying side, other than that can't complain. Learned general people skills as well as organisation.
Pros
Easy work
Cons
Easy work
Great Place to Volunteer
Volunteer Clothing Racker (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON27 March 2016
- Go into Salvation Army Thrift Store
- I learned how to be patient with customers
- The Management team was amazing
- Co-Workers were also great
- There was no hard part
- The most enjoyable part of volunteering was helping out and making the customers feel good about themselves
Pros
Great Staff
Productive and Fun
Protection Officer (Former Employee) –  9919 MacDonald Ave17 June 2016
My experience working with Salvation Army was productive, and enjoyable, grate management in overall, as well as excellent team work with entire co-workers,
Good experience
Volunteered at Salvation Army (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 June 2016
Good experience for me to volunteer and work in salvation army
• Handed out sandwiches to the underprivileged in the Salvation Army shelter
Good experience but not a good working environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON5 May 2016
The place was really dirty but i was able to gain some skills in retail services. I learned how to adapt to my surrounding and work to to my fullest potential by completing all assigned task.
Fast paced, friendly environment with everyday opportunites to learn something new.
Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB9 February 2016
There is no such thing as a typical day of work at the Salvation Army. Some days you spend your whole day on the till and assisting customers. Others you would be running around taking donations, and insuring the store remained in good condition. I am thankful for the opportunity to work here as i got to learn may things about all the different products that have come to us in donations. My co-works were friendly and always ready to lend a hand for those in need. Sometimes it became difficult to keep up with the large volumes of the customers but ironically it also became one of my favorite parts of the job.Above all else there was a real satisfaction in giving back to you community,
Dynamic, Fluctuating Workplace
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  Courtenay, BC4 February 2016
A typical day involves the receiving, sorting, and pricing of donations which can range from clothes, books and housewares, to furniture, mattresses, and dressers.
The rate at which you work fluctuates often as it is almost entirely dependent on the amount of donations that are being received and the rate at which items are being sold. This requires a lot of adaptability and thinking on your toes, which may work for some, but not for others.
The hardest part of this job is having to sort through all the garbage and useless junk that often comes with donations.
The most enjoyable part of this job is definitely the satisfaction of having helped someone who was in need.
Pros
Helping those in need
Cons
Excessive garbage, sub-par management

81%