The Salvation Army Employee Reviews

clean work space
FRONTLINE SUPPORT STAFF (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, ON26 March 2016
very nice new building, great place to start your social work career. good staff and a great daily plan for clients to get back on there feet and start a new.
A fun workplace with a lot of variety.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB23 March 2016
Salvation Army was one of the best workplaces I had worked for.
Even though it was only a summer job, I had enjoyed learning in practice about accounting, saw for the first time a balanced sheet,
took part in the staff meeting and enjoyed my co-workers jokes.
Both management and staff were very inclusive of me, and also very helpful professionally.
Difficult but rewarding
Hostel & Front Desk worker (Former Employee) –  London23 March 2016
Co-workers are incredible for the most part, built a solid relationship with most of them. Very team-oriented environment.
Management seems to be a little out of the loop with what it is like to actually work the floors which results in some less than helpful advice from them.
Can be a little dangerous and difficult at times but overall rewarding.
Pros
Cheap lunches/dinners, team environment
Cons
Long hours, emotionally and mentally draining
clean
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON16 March 2016
A lot people come shopping most of them is the old people old people their nice i love helping them and they have a lot of stories to tell plus when they cant pick up heavy stuff i always help them and they love me.
Driver (Former Employee) –  Courtenay, BC15 March 2016
Love the people you work with.
You make a difference in the community you work in.
Lots of room for advancement.
Great benefits.
great organization to work for and build experience
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB26 February 2016
It is an empowering organization with an amazing value. The goal of people is to help others and I enjoyed working here. Everyone is very understanding and encouraging.
Intensive work environment
Residential Worker (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON17 February 2016
on the midnight shift I took part in file managemnent, as well as doing house checks and maintaning log books. I enjoyed connecting with clients and helping them complete there goals set out in there case management plans.
great organization to work for.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB12 February 2016
managed store and employees. Handled organizing of volunteers. Managed area promotions,public relations and quarterly inventories.worked for blue bag it to organize donations.
Pros
helping people in need.
Cons
very human experiences every day
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Chilliwack. b.c.12 February 2016
serving breakfast and chatting with clientele
discussing possibilities and days events with clientele
problem solving, finding answers, defusing frustration from escalating
verbalizing options of clients and finding avenues for them to follow.
filing, telephone calls, data entry,
interviewing and assessing situations and conditions of people in the moment
calling appropriate agencies, looking up on line for information
in-taking whilst being unprejudiced, non- judgmental or indifferent
showing a compassionate and empathetic attitude, both with body language and voice tones
ensuring safety and cleanliness was upheld, both by staff as well as clientele
being honest and straightforward
Pros
enjoyed the daily challanges, with working amoungst the homeless
Cons
found that after almost 6 years, i was becoming detached and a bit sceptic of others...
Fast paced, friendly environment with everyday opportunites to learn something new.
Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB9 February 2016
There is no such thing as a typical day of work at the Salvation Army. Some days you spend your whole day on the till and assisting customers. Others you would be running around taking donations, and insuring the store remained in good condition. I am thankful for the opportunity to work here as i got to learn may things about all the different products that have come to us in donations. My co-works were friendly and always ready to lend a hand for those in need. Sometimes it became difficult to keep up with the large volumes of the customers but ironically it also became one of my favorite parts of the job.Above all else there was a real satisfaction in giving back to you community,
Dynamic, Fluctuating Workplace
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  Courtenay, BC4 February 2016
A typical day involves the receiving, sorting, and pricing of donations which can range from clothes, books and housewares, to furniture, mattresses, and dressers.
The rate at which you work fluctuates often as it is almost entirely dependent on the amount of donations that are being received and the rate at which items are being sold. This requires a lot of adaptability and thinking on your toes, which may work for some, but not for others.
The hardest part of this job is having to sort through all the garbage and useless junk that often comes with donations.
The most enjoyable part of this job is definitely the satisfaction of having helped someone who was in need.
Pros
Helping those in need
Cons
Excessive garbage, sub-par management
Great work environment.
Residential Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC1 February 2016
This seems to be a bit of a mom and pops operation, a bit behind the times in the way they operate, but a great team and work environment.
Pros
Great team and support
Cons
Small caseload making for long days sometimes.
enjoyable place to work
Receptionist/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Belfast, NIR26 January 2016
I enjoyed working at the Salvation Army and I learned many skills here that have helped me work with the public in many situations. I worked my way up from being a dishwasher to being the Head Receptionist and Administrative Assistant. A typical day at work included answering telephones, meeting and greeting the public, using Microsoft Office, Accounts, Inventories, Cashing up Register at the end of the day. I loved working in this type of environment
kettle worker
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Hagersville, ON19 January 2016
Fun meeting people. And how people are very good at giving money.
I enjoy talking to people. I stand near at kettle and people put money in the kettle. The people l work with are very nine, a helpful. The hardest part of the job is l like walking around. l like help people.
Pros
great lunch
Cons
hour not long alot
Great place to work and experience such diversity.
Intake & Assessment Worker (part-time) (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON12 January 2016
A constant change in atmospheres due to such challenging situations. Very supportive environment with co-workers and Management. Hardest part of the job is seeing clients unfortunate situations. Most enjoyable part of my job is being able to help and return smiles to my clients faces.
Fun Place to work
DZ Driver (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON10 January 2016
Dz driver loading and unloading materials and furniture in the Toronto and Mississauga area

Wonderful and supportive staff
volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  st. vincent8 January 2016
it was a great place to volunteer, to help those who couldn't help themselves and provide for those who needed it the most.
Interesting and challenging very rewarding
Certified Nursing Attendant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 January 2016
Refer to resume please it has all of the pertinent clinical detailed information for each career outlined. Thank you for your time.
Fun work place
Store Associate/Floater (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 January 2016
Salvation Army was a place that i loved to work at. The pay wasn't the best, but the people that i worked with i wouldn't forget.
i learned that sometimes money isn't what you want when you can work with awesome people and make the day go by faster
Pros
Understanding management.
Cons
Drama
fruitful and beneficial employment
a volunteer (Current Employee) –  Wingham, ON22 December 2015
These different jobs helped me to grow and stretch in my understanding and application of the Christian faith. I found opportunity to develop my thinking on the intellectual foundations of my theological position.
Pros
Opportunity to study.
Cons
Sometimes there were interpersonal and sibling conflicts.

The Salvation Army Reviews by Location