The Salvation Army
1,953 reviews

The Salvation Army Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Overall a good employer with good employee care
Housing & Community Support Worker (Current Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 9, 2013
Pros: flexible break times.
Cons: mid-morning to late afternnon shifts 2 days a week.
It is not a high pressure work environment,I can work at my own pace most of the time.My day can be planned as I have a significant amount of autonomy.Most of my work is face to face contact with clients, case-management,meetings,policy and program review and data entry.
Great Place
Volunteer (Former Employee), Windsor, ONDecember 7, 2013
Invaluable resource in our community. Loved the knowledge I gained by helping others
A NPO
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Nanaimo, BCDecember 2, 2013
I feel humbled to work for this company. Receipting and Accounts Receivables
Good work place with friendly team players
Store Clerk (Former Employee), Cambridge, ONNovember 28, 2013
Pros: bonus
Cons: short shifts
I worked different shifts. The people I worked with were interesting and easy to work with. We had a set number of clothes to put out, everyone worked well together and helped to finish our production by the end of shift. When I was on as cashier I enjoyed meeting people and helping them find the items they were looking for.Overall it was a good place – more... to work. – less
Working with Transgender people was amazing
Janitor/Housekeeper (Former Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 28, 2013
Pros: insults from clients.
Cons: good management
Everything was superb at salvation Army because it was my first job in Canada.
learn new skills to help other and make a difference
youth mentor (Former Employee), 51 morrow aveNovember 16, 2013
Pros: free lunch at least twice a week
Cons: early shifts
working at the salvation army had a great experiace and a great first job and perfect place to volunteer where i learnt new skills made new friends and met new kids. the management is great and the co-workers are so friendly. hardest part of the job is when taking kids for feild trips during kids club program and the most enjoyable part of the job is – more... planing and preparing for kids club. – less
Rewards for working with the army are beyond the tangible
Corps Officer (Former Employee), Edmonton ABNovember 6, 2013
Pros: personal satisfaction
Cons: can be emotionally draining
Rewards for working with the army are beyond the tangible - working with people in addiction, hurting, suffering or in mental illness is never easy - but the rewards of positive changes seen in their lives will give you a sense of joy like nothing else...the Salvation Army provides a venue to accomplish much in the lives of those who truly need it.
Community Services
Clothing Store Associate (Former Employee), Lloydminster, SKNovember 4, 2013
This was more of a volunteer role that gave me an insight on the needs of my community. This job gave me a perspective of humility; I am very thankful for these lessons learned.
Very rewarding helping others and volunteering my time
Community Representative (Daily volunteer) (Current Employee), St. Thomas, ONOctober 30, 2013
Great work environment and great experience. Helping hands :)
Productive and helped the community
Customer Service (Volunteer) (Former Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 29, 2013
Pros: meeting new people
Cons: being on your feet
Arrive, get my name tag, say hello to all employees. Meet new people everyday because their were new volunteers. Assist customers with their purchases. Management was amazing and made the volunteer time fly by.
It's OK....
Cleaning sales floor, shelves, counters (Former Employee), Jane StreetOctober 27, 2013
Pros: get paid, duh
Cons: surrounded by dirty and possibly infected clothing/merchandise
expect to be switched positions constantly, from cashier to working on the sales floor.

the manager is strict.
Fun to work for
ticket seller (Former Employee), Maple RidgeOctober 20, 2013
As a bell ringer my job was to collect money for donations. Co - Workers were good. Job was relatively easy.
The employers are really easy going
Volunteering (Current Employee), Cranbrook, BCOctober 19, 2013
Pros: free lunches and breaks
Cons: because i only volunteer i don't get paid
A typical day at work is mostly working in the back of the store. The employers are really nice and very helpful whenever I am in need of help. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to work with other people and getting to know them. The hardest part of the job is when I first started because I didn't know where everything in the store was – more... when I had to stack shelves. – less
Great place for making contacs
Court Information Support Worker (Current Employee), Windsor, ONOctober 9, 2013
Pros: helping others in need
Cons: a lot of sitting
 Provide information to those entering the Court House
 Assisting those in need of Emotional support
 Accepting Diversions/Donations
 Informing those in need of service that are provide by the city
- Working will a wide variety of clientele
Diverse atmosphere with colorful patrons
Sales Associate/Daily Supervisor (Former Employee), Smithers, BCOctober 4, 2013
Pros: sundays off, social atmosphere, variety of daily tasks
Cons: stressful situations, lack of hours
While being responsible primarily for Thrift Store Sales I was able to also interact with a variety of customers from myriad walks of life.
I learned a lot of patience and was exposed to situations that tested my inner strength. I have a lot of respect for my co-workers there and the strength it takes to work with the homeless, the needy and the mentally – more... challenged. These people were both my favorite part of the job and also the most trying; Having to keep calm and in control when needing to respond to an emergency caused by a client used a lot of mental and physical energy but some of my volunteers could melt your heart by bringing you a flower and a handwritten note.

I was a PT Employee and didn't interact with management very often as I worked completely unsupervised during my time at The Salvation Army, except when we did the Kettles at Christmas. – less
a challenging position providing a true learning experience.
Manager (Current Employee), 10 Jordan Crescent CharlottetownSeptember 26, 2013
Pros: rewarding working with a recognized charity
Cons: extreme restrictions in operating budget
A typical day would begin with necessary office work before store opening.The day was then spent coaching and assisting staff in the day to day operations.
Though sometimes challenging, working with both paid staff and volunteers from many different backgrounds with many different personalities taught me how to recognize and utilize the strengths of – more... each particular individual to my advantage.
The hardest part of the job would be the restrictions involved with working with a charity.
The most enjoyable part of the job was implementing ideas and seeing positive results! – less
Fast Paced, Enjoyable
General Helper (Former Employee), Toronto,ONSeptember 25, 2013
Pros: good team of staff
Cons: retail is not my type of work
Good workplace, I enjoyed working with the good people there, it gave me good knowledge of what goes on behind the scenes of this type of store. I enjoyed moving things around and feeling important and that I made a difference in my community. My day at work was short, (volunteer position) , putting away stock sorting stock, ensuring stores cleanliness.
Providing gentle care
Health Care Aide (Former Employee), Brandon, MBSeptember 25, 2013
As a health care aide with Salvation army, I would help my elders with their every day routines such as getting up, using the washroom, bathing, shaving, getting dressed and all the other basic necessities that my elders needed. From this type of work I learned that patience is the key to getting all tasks done, even if its not on time. The hardest – more... part of my jobs was not getting emotionally attached to my elders. The most enjoyable part was receiving hugs, smiles and words of thanks from my elders for taking care of them. – less
amazing people
Sorter Reciever (Current Employee), courtenaySeptember 22, 2013
I spent two years as health and safety, the benefits have always been valuable. Every experience has enriched my life
Believe in their overall mission.
Store Manager (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABSeptember 16, 2013
Pros: good benefit plan, great overall causes
Cons: low pay, ever-increasing tasks and responsibilities.
Managers required to wear various hats. Minimal training to start off.
HR (hiring, corrections, coaching, training, schedules, payroll). Numerous reports and statistics,
Annual/Monthly Budget planning, implementing, tracking and projections
Cash procedures including opening, closing, inventory reports, guest services, production monitoring, establishing – more... guidelines and standards. Overseeing donor services.
Day consists of high energy non-stop activities.
As a non-profit, pay scale is quite low.
Best experience was Leadership Intensive Training course.
There was no aspect of my job I didn't like, but found several of the roles should have been a separate position (HR, Budget, CSR) – less

About The Salvation Army

Battling to provide social services, The Salvation Army is more than 4 million strong -- including some 3.4 million registered – Read more

The Salvation Army Photos