The Salvation Army Employee Reviews

Volunteer experience
reciever/retail worker (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON15 June 2016
Was good to volunteer but wouldnt prefer to work there as a retail worker, would rather work as a shipper/reciever. I learned what to do and what to not do as a retail worker. Co-workers are very nice.
What I enjoyed working for the Salvation Army,
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BC14 June 2016
A typical day at work was providing customer services to Salvation Army clientele. I learned how to prioritize and organize using time management; as well as providing Customer Service. Management was good at all areas relating to Salvation Army services offered and treated the employees well. The newer co workers weren't as educated in the Salvation Army Services long term employees but when any question arrived the Salvation Management team had patience in explaining and showing how to do the task at hand. I didn't find difficulties with the job. The most enjoyable part of the job was building friendship as well as providing services to the community.
Pros
Great people and decent pay
Cons
Miscommuncation sometimes.
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL3 June 2016
The salvation army was a great place to be apart of. As i was attending school in September my position was not offered as part time and due to my scheduled not accommodating the work hours required I had no other choice but to resign.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Unsafe donations
Good Place for Volunteering.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 May 2016
I was a volunteer at the salvation army, it was easy going and fun, the people there were very warm and kindhearted people as well as very welcoming.
Clean environment, productive workplace
Shelf Stocker, Sales assistant, customer service (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON21 May 2016
The workplace is filled with friendly coworkers and supervisors to be around. The changing atmosphere of the workplace always provided an interesting and enjoyable experience.
Pros
long beraks
Great Coworkers
Health Cake Worker (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC16 May 2016
Although the days are long, it goes by great. I have had the pleasure of having the best coworkers I could ever ask for. Management is supportive.
what I had to do
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB15 May 2016
I do not like the bar scene personally and I don't drink , but at this time I needed a casual job to help off set cost of living as a single mom of 3 !
I was able to work 3 nights per week after my regular job and the staff were very great and I have to admit it wasn't all bad being a bouncer in a bar in the NWT.
Friendly and Enjoyable Environment
SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON5 May 2016
My typical day at work includes a short meeting at the beginning of my shift. This meeting usually discusses our daily budget, monthly quota, any health and safety concerns, and the assignment of positions and tasks for each individual. I would have to say working at the Salvation Army has taught me primarily how to properly handle an uncomfortable or stressful situation, both with co-workers and guests. The hardest part of this job is making the most with the resources that are given as Salvation Army is an organization, which has its limitations. The most rewarding part of the job is seeing the positive impact we make on our community and families!
Pros
The diversity of my co-workers and guests.
Cons
Travel distance and time.
Good experience but not a good working environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON5 May 2016
The place was really dirty but i was able to gain some skills in retail services. I learned how to adapt to my surrounding and work to to my fullest potential by completing all assigned task.
Front desk Clerk (Former Employee) –  Weyburn, SK2 May 2016
I loved my co-workers. Everyone became like a family in this work environment and we were always helping the less fortunate
Pros
amazing coworkers
Cons
drive to work
Fun
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 April 2016
It was fun wrapping gifts for a good cause. Working with co workers was nice. Hardest part of job was around christmas time when there was a lot go gift wrapping to do.
enjoyable and great staff
Facilities Manager (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB26 April 2016
working with the army has educated me in what hard ships peole face ,not only day to day ,but also long term. I now do more for people in need and look different at my surroundings
A Good Work Experience
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON26 April 2016
Overall, my experience with volunteering at the Salvation Army was a positive one; I learned how to efficiently fold and hang up clothing in a presentable manner. The store was managed very well and all information regarding my tasks was relayed to me clearly. As my experience at the Salvation Army was volunteer work, co-workers were inconsistent, however everyone seemed to be in good spirits and I got along with everyone with no issues. The hardest part of the job was having to remain on my feet for hours at a time, however, I quickly adjusted and managed well. Overall, volunteering was great practice for a potential retail position in the future.
Easy place to work hard.
Anchorage Addictions Counselor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 April 2016
A typical work day started at 08:00 and completed at 16:00. A lot of the skills I learned in the network administrator course were reinforced through the problem diagnostic and problem resolution process. I learned a lot about BlackBerry's and their use in government. Keeping track of the various problems and resolution is important since these problems repeat themselves. Remaining approachable with my coworkers is very important in keeping a positive team effort. The hardest part of the job was learning the proprietary government software. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people I worked with, they are very professional and genuinely good people. It was easy to work hard in that environment.
Pros
The people I worked with.
Cons
Only three month term contracts.
A1
Relief Residential Counsellor (Current Employee) –  Binbrook, ON12 April 2016
Awesome employer! You really feel like you belong to part of the team. It is an employer that you can move up in and gain experience.
A truely giving place to work.
Cook full coursed meals for 300 men (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 April 2016
Salvation Army helps so many people and I was so lucky to be part of that.
So many caring people all in one place. Beautiful
Great Place to Volunteer
Volunteer Clothing Racker (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON27 March 2016
- Go into Salvation Army Thrift Store
- I learned how to be patient with customers
- The Management team was amazing
- Co-Workers were also great
- There was no hard part
- The most enjoyable part of volunteering was helping out and making the customers feel good about themselves
Pros
Great Staff
work environment great
Family Services(Externship) (Former Employee) –  Bloor Cenytral26 March 2016
a lot of room to enhance interpersonal skills as well learning to deal with the public as individuals as a whole. As well as being to understand their needs.
clean work space
FRONTLINE SUPPORT STAFF (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, ON26 March 2016
very nice new building, great place to start your social work career. good staff and a great daily plan for clients to get back on there feet and start a new.
A fun workplace with a lot of variety.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB23 March 2016
Salvation Army was one of the best workplaces I had worked for.
Even though it was only a summer job, I had enjoyed learning in practice about accounting, saw for the first time a balanced sheet,
took part in the staff meeting and enjoyed my co-workers jokes.
Both management and staff were very inclusive of me, and also very helpful professionally.