The Salvation Army

The Salvation Army Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
The are considered the Blacksheep of the Salvation Army Organizationcar
driver (Current Employee), Oakville NROFebruary 4, 2014
When working for the SA do not consider yourself part of the greater organization unless you are working for a church store. The ethics and Mission statement mean very little, its all about money and employees are treated without a great deal of respect, they are simply a means to produce income.
Multi-tasking
Receptionist/Fleet Coordinator/Statistician (Current Employee), Burnaby, BCJanuary 24, 2014
Pros: being apart of a team, not by myself
Cons: upset people calling and i can't help them.
In my office each department has separate times of the year when they reach their overload limit because they are so busy.
What I love most about my position is that I'm able to help them (Program, Business, Public Relations) during that time.

The hardest part of my job is if I have to say no (to their request for help) because I have to much on my – more... plate at the time. – less
Interactive Place to Work
VOLUNTEER & COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 6, 2014
A typical day at work consisted of helping customers, as well as sorting out donations and pricing. Management was organized and methodical in dealings with customers and employees.
Coworkers consisted of a diverse group of people. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping customers.
Working for a worthwhile cause
Count Room Supervisor (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJanuary 2, 2014
This was an annual major fund raising effort by the organization.
Housing resource worker
Housing Resource Worker (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONDecember 31, 2013
- A typical day would include finding accommodations for clients
-I learned how to work from an anti oppressive stand point with clients
-The management was very helpful and always eager to teach me new things about their organization
-Worked with fun loving staff members, very family oriented
-The hardest thing about the job was self care because of – more... the high burn out rate
-The most enjoyable part was doing what i love – less
Enjoyed passing on the information to people about the role of Salvation Army
Fundraiser (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONDecember 28, 2013
Talked to people by seeking donations for Salvation Army. I learned that the donations we get from people change the invisible minority lives like the homeless people. I have passion to do community service work so it was a great experience to work with salvation Army,
Overall a good employer with good employee care
Housing & Community Support Worker (Current Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 9, 2013
Pros: flexible break times.
Cons: mid-morning to late afternnon shifts 2 days a week.
It is not a high pressure work environment,I can work at my own pace most of the time.My day can be planned as I have a significant amount of autonomy.Most of my work is face to face contact with clients, case-management,meetings,policy and program review and data entry.
Great Place
Volunteer (Former Employee), Windsor, ONDecember 7, 2013
Invaluable resource in our community. Loved the knowledge I gained by helping others
A NPO
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Nanaimo, BCDecember 2, 2013
I feel humbled to work for this company. Receipting and Accounts Receivables
Good work place with friendly team players
Store Clerk (Former Employee), Cambridge, ONNovember 28, 2013
Pros: bonus
Cons: short shifts
I worked different shifts. The people I worked with were interesting and easy to work with. We had a set number of clothes to put out, everyone worked well together and helped to finish our production by the end of shift. When I was on as cashier I enjoyed meeting people and helping them find the items they were looking for.Overall it was a good place – more... to work. – less
Working with Transgender people was amazing
Janitor/Housekeeper (Former Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 28, 2013
Pros: insults from clients.
Cons: good management
Everything was superb at salvation Army because it was my first job in Canada.
learn new skills to help other and make a difference
youth mentor (Former Employee), 51 morrow aveNovember 16, 2013
Pros: free lunch at least twice a week
Cons: early shifts
working at the salvation army had a great experiace and a great first job and perfect place to volunteer where i learnt new skills made new friends and met new kids. the management is great and the co-workers are so friendly. hardest part of the job is when taking kids for feild trips during kids club program and the most enjoyable part of the job is – more... planing and preparing for kids club. – less
Rewards for working with the army are beyond the tangible
Corps Officer (Former Employee), Edmonton ABNovember 6, 2013
Pros: personal satisfaction
Cons: can be emotionally draining
Rewards for working with the army are beyond the tangible - working with people in addiction, hurting, suffering or in mental illness is never easy - but the rewards of positive changes seen in their lives will give you a sense of joy like nothing else...the Salvation Army provides a venue to accomplish much in the lives of those who truly need it.
Community Services
Clothing Store Associate (Former Employee), Lloydminster, SKNovember 4, 2013
This was more of a volunteer role that gave me an insight on the needs of my community. This job gave me a perspective of humility; I am very thankful for these lessons learned.
Very rewarding helping others and volunteering my time
Community Representative (Daily volunteer) (Current Employee), St. Thomas, ONOctober 30, 2013
Great work environment and great experience. Helping hands :)
Productive and helped the community
Customer Service (Volunteer) (Former Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 29, 2013
Pros: meeting new people
Cons: being on your feet
Arrive, get my name tag, say hello to all employees. Meet new people everyday because their were new volunteers. Assist customers with their purchases. Management was amazing and made the volunteer time fly by.
It's OK....
Cleaning sales floor, shelves, counters (Former Employee), Jane StreetOctober 27, 2013
Pros: get paid, duh
Cons: surrounded by dirty and possibly infected clothing/merchandise
expect to be switched positions constantly, from cashier to working on the sales floor.

the manager is strict.
Fun to work for
ticket seller (Former Employee), Maple RidgeOctober 20, 2013
As a bell ringer my job was to collect money for donations. Co - Workers were good. Job was relatively easy.
The employers are really easy going
Volunteering (Current Employee), Cranbrook, BCOctober 19, 2013
Pros: free lunches and breaks
Cons: because i only volunteer i don't get paid
A typical day at work is mostly working in the back of the store. The employers are really nice and very helpful whenever I am in need of help. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to work with other people and getting to know them. The hardest part of the job is when I first started because I didn't know where everything in the store was – more... when I had to stack shelves. – less
Great place for making contacs
Court Information Support Worker (Current Employee), Windsor, ONOctober 9, 2013
Pros: helping others in need
Cons: a lot of sitting
 Provide information to those entering the Court House
 Assisting those in need of Emotional support
 Accepting Diversions/Donations
 Informing those in need of service that are provide by the city
- Working will a wide variety of clientele

About The Salvation Army

The Salvation Army is a Christian church known for its thrift stores and charity work. It is an international movement that works – Read more

The Salvation Army Photos