The Salvation Army Employee Reviews

Good organization, poor management
Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BC13 November 2017
Not much direction or structure provided by management. Lots of freedom to work as you'd like to, but no clear goals provided...good hearts but not much professionalism
great and productive
VOLUNTEER (Current Employee) –  Ellesmere, ON7 November 2017
Peaceful and cordial working environment.
I learnt to take initiatives and deal with the community with love paying attention to individuals on first come first serve basis
Management is knowledgeable and dedicated to work, treating every individual with warm and cordial approach.
The most enjoyable part is seeing people leaving with a smile and appreciation for the help rendered.
good job
Driver's Helper (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB7 November 2017
I feel good about helping the less fortunate. The people who are donating are very generous. I also enjoy dealing with my fellow employees in our warehouse and our thrift store.
Pros
helping people
Cons
warehouse is too small and needs more dock doors
a really friendly and helpful happy place to work
Data entry (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON7 November 2017
helping clients receive food and goods in a timely and efficient manner. i learned to problem solve and think on my feet i learned data entry and worked with many groups that came to volunteer the management were kind and helpful and always there to help and assist with anything that we needed.
The joy of the Lord is my strength, he gives a living water and I thirst no more
Solider of Christ (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON Canada4 November 2017
Sleep and rise up early.
Learn on the job.
Time management, budgeting, and cost control.
All nationalities are welcome.
Let there be peace on earth, let it begins with me, let there be peace on, its perfect harmony and God as our father and brothers all are we
let there be peace on earth, let it begins with me.
We share our love with one another.
Pros
Share our food, like the book of Act.
Cons
Overtime is necessary.
Day in the life
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 November 2017
Day would be unique and different, no one knew what kind of donations we would get because most of our inventory was majority based on donations, and what the people bring in, we would have to go through the things and decide which items are worth selling and which items would be considered trash.
Great atmosphere
Family Services/Food Bank Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Owen Sound, ON2 November 2017
Great atmosphere, job can get repetitive but, you are helping a lot of people. Organized place to work. Like many social service jobs the pay is not the greatest.
Pros
Good atmosphere
Cons
Pay
Loved it
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Maple Creek, SK31 October 2017
I volunteered at this company such amazing people in this small town and free lunches and discounts on items that I would purchase. I loved helping people find what little treasures
worked all over the store
Cashier/Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC27 October 2017
I enjoy working with people. I had a great time. I had many tings to do to be very busy. I love helping people it is very rewarding. I cant please everyone but I can try,
Pros
helping people with no money
Cons
when people yell
great co workers
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Ontario25 October 2017
People there are lovely and make the environment much more exciting and desirable to be there. I feel that this job has made me knowledgeable on many skills I will need for my future career goals.

Want to know more about The Salvation Army?

Ask a question
Great Job
Resident Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Brantford, ON20 October 2017
Great job with great job security. Could have used a little more training, but I have been learning lots as I have been going. The management here however is amazing thus far. Every encounter with them has been a positive and enlightening experience!
Pros
Unionized, benefits, job security, really nice management
Cons
Co-workers, lack of training
positive beginning into the work force
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BC17 October 2017
This was a really relaxed job, it was my first job and I didn't have any experience handling people so I mostly worked in the back and on the floor! The management was good, people there were awesome but not the most happy, they would treat homeless people like thieves almost 99% of the time, I kind of let a lot of stuff slide because this was donated clothes for free and if i saw a man steal a pair of pants I wasn't going to say anything because we need to check our privilege in times like that. But obviously I realize it's a company and they need to make money but when you sell a dress for 14.99 I think you're doing just fine.
Pros
50% off discount
nice place but wouldn't be my first option
Donation attendant (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC13 October 2017
In my experience working at salvation army, the manager was harsh to her employees and in most cases bullying to the employees (on her bad days, she was quite pleasant when she was in a good mood). the work was straight forward with dividing the donations and loading the truck, as usual, allot of theft and angry customers come in, so stress can be high at times.
Pros
diverse days, no shortage of work
Cons
bad management, theft and bad costumers
Awful
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON12 October 2017
The staff is incredibly rude at the location I worked at, the managers were the definition of useless any serious situation that occurred with the customers the employees would be expected to take care of it the managers would refuse mainly because they didn't know how to deal with it.
Pros
literally nothing
Productive and friendly work enviroment
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC6 October 2017
My typical day at work when I was volunteering at Salvation Army, Usually I would sort and organize the donated clothes from the useless and the useable. They've shown me what to look for in the clothes as in tears, holes, etc.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Consistency, doing the same job everyday
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC5 October 2017
I worked there for a short time due to the location, busing there wasn't ideal for me. The benefits working there were great, I enjoyed my bosses, the work wasn't bad. It was fun checking out all the interesting stuff people would donate.
Decent place to work
Moncton North Location- Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB4 October 2017
You are actively helping the community. The current managers in place are amazing to work for and Human resources as well as the District Manager in this region are wonderful to work with and really care about you as a human. You are not a number there you are valued.
Active, and energetic setting.
Frontline Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 October 2017
My time at the Gateway was an great experience for me. I really enjoy working with people, being able to help, or just a person some one could confide in. We had a very "team" like presence in the building between all the staff(upper to bottom). A day at work would vary from the night( as, I worked both); for example, the drop in piece was mainly a day time event which was open to the public, so it could get very busy. Summarily, the night had different task to tend to: making sure of residents were accounted for, making sure SMIS was properly updated, and keeping an eye on transients who pop by for are washroom services or other basic amenities.
On the other hand, I found it tough watching some of the residents fall on tough times and suffer set-backs.

The job taught me patients(with people, and co-workers), perseverance( understanding there will be set-backs with residents), and persistence( got to keep a positive attitude, and reinforce the good things residents have going for them self's). Apparently, the three "P's".
Pros
free food, flexible schedule, good management
Cons
watching residents fail goals, watching residents loose their beds, watching residents relapse
Excellent work place with great experience
Protections services officer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 October 2017
Great work place with great work experience that has enhanced my verbal communications skills, alertness, and my confidence in dealing with aggressive combative individuals
Pros
Great benifits and managment
Cons
Low Pay increases
Caring workplace
Janitor (Current Employee) –  Williams Lake, BC2 October 2017
A typical day is I clean the dining hall, kitchen, food bank, work on some things during downtime, then clean all of downstairs. I also help as needed.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Salvation Army. Our community is ready to answer.

53.3K