The Salvation Army Employee Reviews

Hard work with no acknowledgement for it.
Inventory Organizor (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB14 July 2017
Working alone a good part of my shift. Unfortunately the amount of work needed to be completed daily was next to impossible to complete. Work conditions were not ideal for anyone. Freezing cold in the winter, extremely hot in the summer. Heavy lifting, searching for items for customers.
Pros
Worked alone
Cons
Short hours, too much work for short period of time.
different every day.
Cashier and Customer service (Current Employee) –  Kelowna Rutland Thrift Store12 July 2017
Love working here, but I need more hours than are available. The group atmosphere is great. As I work as part of the receiving end of the store we take donations and meet different people every day. I am also a cashier and sales associate so iI ring through sales and returns, help customers on the sales floor and tidy up.
Pros
training programs on how to handle situations with different types of customers.
Cons
very warm at the receiving end of the store as you spend most of the days outdoors .
Not a good place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON10 July 2017
I currently work here, and i regret taking the job. All of my coworkers are incredibly hard working and very friendly people, but there is too much gossip in the workplace. The manager is very rude and ignorant. Also, the manager shows favoritism and does not care for your well being. In the job interview, it was stated that you will be alternated from cash to floor, to donations. That is all BS. I have been stuck in the donation center since i started 3 months ago and the management and other co-workers refuse to train me for cash because i do so well with taking donations. It is unfair and very tiring emotionally and physically. I suggest to anyone deciding to take up a job here, to know what you're getting into. The pay is good and the people are really easy to work with, but the work is very unfair and hard.
Pros
Good pay, long lunches
Cons
Long Hours, rude management, favoritism
Productive and fun workplace
Salvation Army Kettle Collector and Meal Provision (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 July 2017
I had a wonderful time working at North Toronto Tennis Club. Many friendships were made and the season went smoothly. If given the chance, I would return there.
Nice place
Driver's Assistant (Current Employee) –  Strathroy, ON3 July 2017
Great store, great people, great environment, great owners (majors), really easy to work with the people, as a whole its a great place to work at for anyone.
Good work-place
Assistant Manager, Retail Operations (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 June 2017
Its a good place to start the career but not up to the mark in terms of salary. The management needs to be more understanding of the financial needs of employees
Pros
Friendly atmosphere
Cons
Poor compensation
learned a lot
Machine Operator/Labourer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 June 2017
its was allright job just doing snow removal but since there would only be work when there is a lot of snow then it was hard to connect with the current boss to go with him to work.
Great job.
Community Access Worker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 June 2017
My job entailed assisting people to have access to resources and services for basic needs such as housing, employment, food hampers, bus tickets etc. I found this job to be very rewarding.
Pros
Lots of support for staff.
Fun and rewarding
ASSISTANT KITCHEN MANAGER - THE BLIND MONK (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 June 2017
I really enjoyed cooking and serving my clients ( homeless). It always a treat to make sure my clients had food in them so they could carry on with their day or share their stories by end of the day.
Pros
Helping people out
Cons
Be treat like noone cares some days
soul fulfilling career
Distribution and recycling manager (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC17 June 2017
Excellent job for soul fulfillment. Great people great cause. Had I not been re locating I would have happily stayed. A transfer was not available in my new area.
Great Experience
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  London, ON13 June 2017
Was A wonderful place to feel you were making a difference. Just wish that you had a chance to try different stations instead of just sorting cloths. Unless you were friends with Management you stayed in one place and didn't get to rotate any where.
Great work environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Gananoque, ON7 June 2017
working here there was always a positive attitude i loved coming here, there was never a day i dreaded coming in. staff is amazing, wish i could go back.
Temp
Kettle Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Lindsay, ON7 June 2017
This was a Seasonal job. I handled the operations of the Kettles and all the volunteers to make sure all shifts were filled. Drop off the kettles at the locations each day and sometime pick them up at the end of the day. Sometimes had to fill in.
Chef (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 June 2017
Very Good Environment to work. Good Staff with very good caring . there is a so many programme for all kind of people (kids,older and youngest , ) they also take any donation and give away lots of stuff
Productive and great place to work.
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON25 May 2017
The Salvation Army fosters learning and personal growth.The company is a great place to work.The environment is competitive and fast paced, Many opportunities to grow and train.
I would recommend this workplace to others.
Community service review
Community Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON24 May 2017
It is a good place to get community service done, the staff there were very friendly and they will accept any who come there. If you are a student in need of doing some community service hours to get your resume, this would be a great place to do so.
Fun and it was to help others
Kettle Host (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BC17 May 2017
I enjoyed it because the funds went to help others in need. Therefore it was task I knew went to people who needed it the most during Christmas. The company laid out the work needed done in a simple matter and was straight forward which I enjoyed.
fun place to work
Store Associate (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC17 May 2017
A lot of organizing, but other than that everyone is cool. One thing I dislike is the place itself. The place is so duty with too much dust. No major sweeping is ever made. Every day is dusty. We could get sick one day.
Pros
nice people
Cons
dusty
Interesting
Relief Worker (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK12 May 2017
This was a great job until management made questionable changes. But its a job that really makes you feel good about things. You get yo help the homeless and try and make someones day a little better.
Pros
Good benifits
Cons
No comment
Good organization
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC8 May 2017
Good organization to work for. Many opportunities to learn and develop skills and connections. Was able to network with different people. Would recommend.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Salvation Army. Our community is ready to answer.