The Salvation Army Employee Reviews in Canada

The staff and managers I worked with over the years were great.
SALES ASSOCIATE/STORE ASSISTANT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Langley & Surrey BCJune 6, 2013
There were a couple of managers that I worked under that made all the difference in making it a great job. We also had some great team members that we managed at the various stores we managed. Upper management at Head office wasn't always a pleasure to work with or for, but it's the team you work with on a daily basis that really matters. Salary was average and there was opportunity to move up as a store manager but not anywhere beyond that. The hardest part of the job was probably dealing with customers, but it was also the most rewarding. A typical day working in a Thrift store was ensuring that donations were sorted and what was salable was priced and then put onto the sales floor. It was not an easy job but was truly fun because you never knew what you'd find in that next box!
Pros
finding unique treasure and meeting new people
Cons
finding unique treasure and meeting unique people
Residential Counsellor (Current Employee) –  Dundas, ONOctober 16, 2015
I found this agency very accommodating for my work schedule and the management very supportive ! They provide training when needed and communication with employees is superior.
Pros
Working with clients
Cons
nights not great to work ....
Salvation
TELEMARKETER/CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONDecember 12, 2015
This was a voluntary base job. Good environment and friendly people all working for a good cause. Learned many strong qualifications that are embedded into my work style. Overall a good learning experience.
Average retail job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Vernon, BCDecember 9, 2015
Worked the cash most of the time. Was always dusty but it wasn't a bad place to work. Everyone treated each other well. Just wasn't a long term job for me after high school
Fun Place to work
DZ Driver (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJanuary 10, 2016
Dz driver loading and unloading materials and furniture in the Toronto and Mississauga area

Wonderful and supportive staff
volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  st. vincentJanuary 8, 2016
it was a great place to volunteer, to help those who couldn't help themselves and provide for those who needed it the most.
No place for growth with company
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONSeptember 21, 2014
Day stars off as sorting through customer donations. Meeting store quotas for the day. I learned throughout the years about the necessity of the people in our community that need help and support in order to survive. They strive to make ends meet with the little they have. It is quite the emotional roller coaster to hear some of the things they have gone and are still going through. Management has a very poor work ethic , not following procedures, and poorly leadership skills to maintain an open door policy when it comes down to it's employees. Many employees from different backgrounds, learned about their culture. Since there was not much involvement from management on fulfilling things in the store, basically the co workers each manage their tasks alone, not as a team. They prioritized things as they saw fit from the lack of input from management. No support from management and human resources just makes anyone not be happy to even continue to be in a toxic and where respect and equalized standards are not being met. Throughout the years had the opportunity to meet and work closely with some members of the community, even if it meant just listening to them i am glad i had the chance to make a difference in someone's life.
Pros
diversity of cultures
Cons
poor salary, no room for advancement, poor management, standing long hours
good work place
Cleaner/Maintenance/ stocking sehelf (Former Employee) –  Elliot Lake, ONOctober 26, 2015
all ways leaning new things each day and how to deal with it.Do your best and work well with co-worker and you will enjoy your job and the day will go by fast.And help other as you can and it makes you fell good about your self.
fun place to work and rewarding
Key holder, Full time production (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NBNovember 2, 2015
The Salvation Army was a great experience, it was a busy store. It was rewarding helping those in need. There was always something to do and we were faced with different challenges everyday.I enjoyed the problem solving and teamwork it involved
Mundane, unfriendly and unrewarding
Cashier/Production Clerk (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SaskatchewanJune 19, 2015
Although I do like customrer service the Salvation Army was mundane and boring. A typical day consisted of sorting clothes, stocking the racks and shelves and assisting customers. I was able to enhance my customer service skills. The management team was unfriendly, rude and disrespectful. My co-workers varied from being very nice to being rude and obnoxious. The hardest part of my job was dealing with the unpleasant social environment. The most enjoyable part of my job was working with the customers.
Pros
Pay check
Cons
Unfriendly, mundane
Productive and Friendly Employees
Supervisor - Julia Parker (Former Employee) –  London, ONNovember 17, 2015
My day was always filled with friendliness and support from staff. A very giving and charitable organization and it was a privilege to have worked with them.
it was a community service job
Floor Hand (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ONNovember 2, 2015
often i was tagging clothes or i was on the floor generally easy. the other members of the company were all nice, i was doing school hours at this busenuiess and that is all.
such a rewarding place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONAugust 25, 2015
The salvation Army was a great place to work. I felt like I was really giving back to the community. The staff was very helpful towards me being new to the team, made me feel very welcome.
Although I felt as though some of the tasks they would assign needed extra protection such as gloves and cleaning products and they would not supply such things to do these jobs.
Pros
very fullfilling working with community
Playing with children
Resident Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Yellowknife, NTJune 11, 2015
Working with outreach people. Addiction Counselling. At the men shelter serving food and shelter, maintain peace, doing programs.

I learned to,promote the dignity of all persons, meet human needs and being a transforming influence in the communities of our world, striving to be the best at what we do, honesty, trustworthy, and accountablity, Committment etc.,

I enjoying working as a team with co-workers, sharing food, learning culture, being honest and commeted.

Saying No, this is hard part of my life.

I enjoying by working. I feel work is worship.
Pros
According to the shift . lunch / supper
Cons
12hrs
excellent interpersonal skills
Residential care worker (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBOctober 26, 2015
learned how to communicate and accomplish alot as being apart of a team member. I did daily intake, distribute mail, answer phones and redirected them to apporiate departments.
Review summary
Christmas Hamper Help (Former Employee) –  Chilliwack, BCOctober 26, 2015
Volunteering for the Christmas Hamper at Salvation army was such a great experiance, i felt like I was really helping. Picking out toys and clothings for the children was a really great time.
productive and fun working environment in the kitchen
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BCOctober 1, 2015
I worked mostly with the sheaf at the Salvation army to make the food, prepare the food, pack the food and fruit to distribute among the public. It was fun and rewarding to be able to connect with the public and engage with them.
Unsteady hours
Sales Associate/ Cashier/ Part-time Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCSeptember 11, 2015
This work environment was dysfunctional at best, and the hours were not always consistent with what was promised. Not being paid for overtime also seemed to be a huge issue while working for this company.
great place to work
Kettle Attendant (Former Employee) –  Beamsville, ONOctober 19, 2015
its good to help people out and give them the help they need. sometimes just helping out a little helps a lot. easy work as well
Boring job
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 31, 2015
a typical day at salvation army would require me to constantly re arrange the clothes, i would have to help the customers wh come in, i would also have to help out in the store with sorting out the clothes. the management wasn't that good, i was pretty much not doing anything for ht most part because the management would run out of things for me to do. my co workers and i never really spoke much, the hardest part of the job was how boring it was and the most enjoyable part of the job was nothing.