The Salvation Army
1,736 reviews

The Salvation Army Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
learn new skills to help other and make a difference
youth mentor (Former Employee), 51 morrow aveNovember 16, 2013
Pros: free lunch at least twice a week
Cons: early shifts
working at the salvation army had a great experiace and a great first job and perfect place to volunteer where i learnt new skills made new friends and met new kids. the management is great and the co-workers are so friendly. hardest part of the job is when taking kids for feild trips during kids club program and the most enjoyable part of the job is – more... planing and preparing for kids club. – less
Rewards for working with the army are beyond the tangible
Corps Officer (Former Employee), Edmonton ABNovember 6, 2013
Pros: personal satisfaction
Cons: can be emotionally draining
Rewards for working with the army are beyond the tangible - working with people in addiction, hurting, suffering or in mental illness is never easy - but the rewards of positive changes seen in their lives will give you a sense of joy like nothing else...the Salvation Army provides a venue to accomplish much in the lives of those who truly need it.
Community Services
Clothing Store Associate (Former Employee), Lloydminster, SKNovember 4, 2013
This was more of a volunteer role that gave me an insight on the needs of my community. This job gave me a perspective of humility; I am very thankful for these lessons learned.
Very rewarding helping others and volunteering my time
Community Representative (Daily volunteer) (Current Employee), St. Thomas, ONOctober 30, 2013
Great work environment and great experience. Helping hands :)
Productive and helped the community
Customer Service (Volunteer) (Former Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 29, 2013
Pros: meeting new people
Cons: being on your feet
Arrive, get my name tag, say hello to all employees. Meet new people everyday because their were new volunteers. Assist customers with their purchases. Management was amazing and made the volunteer time fly by.
It's OK....
Cleaning sales floor, shelves, counters (Former Employee), Jane StreetOctober 27, 2013
Pros: get paid, duh
Cons: surrounded by dirty and possibly infected clothing/merchandise
expect to be switched positions constantly, from cashier to working on the sales floor.

the manager is strict.
Fun to work for
ticket seller (Former Employee), Maple RidgeOctober 20, 2013
As a bell ringer my job was to collect money for donations. Co - Workers were good. Job was relatively easy.
The employers are really easy going
Volunteering (Current Employee), Cranbrook, BCOctober 19, 2013
Pros: free lunches and breaks
Cons: because i only volunteer i don't get paid
A typical day at work is mostly working in the back of the store. The employers are really nice and very helpful whenever I am in need of help. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to work with other people and getting to know them. The hardest part of the job is when I first started because I didn't know where everything in the store was – more... when I had to stack shelves. – less
Great place for making contacs
Court Information Support Worker (Current Employee), Windsor, ONOctober 9, 2013
Pros: helping others in need
Cons: a lot of sitting
 Provide information to those entering the Court House
 Assisting those in need of Emotional support
 Accepting Diversions/Donations
 Informing those in need of service that are provide by the city
- Working will a wide variety of clientele
Diverse atmosphere with colorful patrons
Sales Associate/Daily Supervisor (Former Employee), Smithers, BCOctober 4, 2013
Pros: sundays off, social atmosphere, variety of daily tasks
Cons: stressful situations, lack of hours
While being responsible primarily for Thrift Store Sales I was able to also interact with a variety of customers from myriad walks of life.
I learned a lot of patience and was exposed to situations that tested my inner strength. I have a lot of respect for my co-workers there and the strength it takes to work with the homeless, the needy and the mentally – more... challenged. These people were both my favorite part of the job and also the most trying; Having to keep calm and in control when needing to respond to an emergency caused by a client used a lot of mental and physical energy but some of my volunteers could melt your heart by bringing you a flower and a handwritten note.

I was a PT Employee and didn't interact with management very often as I worked completely unsupervised during my time at The Salvation Army, except when we did the Kettles at Christmas. – less
a challenging position providing a true learning experience.
Manager (Current Employee), 10 Jordan Crescent CharlottetownSeptember 26, 2013
Pros: rewarding working with a recognized charity
Cons: extreme restrictions in operating budget
A typical day would begin with necessary office work before store opening.The day was then spent coaching and assisting staff in the day to day operations.
Though sometimes challenging, working with both paid staff and volunteers from many different backgrounds with many different personalities taught me how to recognize and utilize the strengths of – more... each particular individual to my advantage.
The hardest part of the job would be the restrictions involved with working with a charity.
The most enjoyable part of the job was implementing ideas and seeing positive results! – less
Fast Paced, Enjoyable
General Helper (Former Employee), Toronto,ONSeptember 25, 2013
Pros: good team of staff
Cons: retail is not my type of work
Good workplace, I enjoyed working with the good people there, it gave me good knowledge of what goes on behind the scenes of this type of store. I enjoyed moving things around and feeling important and that I made a difference in my community. My day at work was short, (volunteer position) , putting away stock sorting stock, ensuring stores cleanliness.
Providing gentle care
Health Care Aide (Former Employee), Brandon, MBSeptember 25, 2013
As a health care aide with Salvation army, I would help my elders with their every day routines such as getting up, using the washroom, bathing, shaving, getting dressed and all the other basic necessities that my elders needed. From this type of work I learned that patience is the key to getting all tasks done, even if its not on time. The hardest – more... part of my jobs was not getting emotionally attached to my elders. The most enjoyable part was receiving hugs, smiles and words of thanks from my elders for taking care of them. – less
amazing people
Sorter Reciever (Current Employee), courtenaySeptember 22, 2013
I spent two years as health and safety, the benefits have always been valuable. Every experience has enriched my life
Believe in their overall mission.
Store Manager (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABSeptember 16, 2013
Pros: good benefit plan, great overall causes
Cons: low pay, ever-increasing tasks and responsibilities.
Managers required to wear various hats. Minimal training to start off.
HR (hiring, corrections, coaching, training, schedules, payroll). Numerous reports and statistics,
Annual/Monthly Budget planning, implementing, tracking and projections
Cash procedures including opening, closing, inventory reports, guest services, production monitoring, establishing – more... guidelines and standards. Overseeing donor services.
Day consists of high energy non-stop activities.
As a non-profit, pay scale is quite low.
Best experience was Leadership Intensive Training course.
There was no aspect of my job I didn't like, but found several of the roles should have been a separate position (HR, Budget, CSR) – less
Fun and exciting.
Receptionist (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 9, 2013
Pros: i got the chance to help people on the most important day of their life.
Cons: i used to dislike, if i couldn't help a person when he/she really needed our help.
I had lots of fun working in this organization with my co-workers and my manager. I had fun helping people by giving them Christmas hamper and seeing them smile.
Volunteer Work
Volunteer (Former Employee), Chatham-Kent, ONSeptember 6, 2013
Pros: friendly environment
Knowing that your helping the community.
Great place to volunteer.
Friendly people to work with.
Great environment.
Get to meet new people.
job was good job i enjoyed it most days
Store Clerk (Former Employee), Fort Erie, ONAugust 29, 2013
Pros: i got along with my boss great
Cons: it was only a cashier job
it was a good job i worked there for about 7 days after i moved from Toronto i enjoyed but i wasn't something i want to do for ever so i went back to school to do something else.
Interesting place to work which helps support those in need
Store Clerk (Former Employee), Mitchell, ONAugust 23, 2013
Pros: benefit program, employee discount, assisting customers
Cons: heavy lifting of donations and moving furniture, dirty work environment
Donations arrive at all hours day and night. So first thing in the morning after opening the store you bring in the donations to start sorting items. The day is split into shifts so if you are on Cash first thing you would start putting clothing or items out on the shelf. The person that isn't on cash first helps with these tasks and then goes to sort – more... items and prices items for the following day. While in this position I learned to process customers as well as identify there needs. Because of the nature of this job while prices are suggested it is a judgement call when pricing items so everyone has different ideas on what to price things. The hardest part of the job was sorting through the donations which even though people figured there donations were great useful items. The most enjoyable part of this job was assisting customers as well as creating interesting displays – less
Amazing Workplace with friendly outgoing workers
Volunteer (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBAugust 20, 2013
Volunteering at the Salvation Army was a great experience for me, everyone i worked with welcomed me with opened arms. i was treated as if i worked there for years. a typical day working at the Salvation Army involved lots of helping with customers and organizing clothes, putting them away, pricing items and etc. it was very busy and very fast paced – more... which is good because you never got bored! the management there was amazing, the co-workers were also amazing. the job wasn't that hard, i enjoyed it a lot. i enjoyed being able to help the customers find items that they wanted, i love helping people so working at the Salvation Army was a great experience. – less

About The Salvation Army

Battling to provide social services, The Salvation Army is more than 4 million strong -- including some 3.4 million registered – Read more

The Salvation Army Photos