The Salvation Army

3.4K reviews

The Salvation Army Employee Reviews

a challenging position providing a true learning experience.
Manager (Current Employee) –  10 Jordan Crescent CharlottetownSeptember 26, 2013
A typical day would begin with necessary office work before store opening.The day was then spent coaching and assisting staff in the day to day operations.
Though sometimes challenging, working with both paid staff and volunteers from many different backgrounds with many different personalities taught me how to recognize and utilize the strengths of each particular individual to my advantage.
The hardest part of the job would be the restrictions involved with working with a charity.
The most enjoyable part of the job was implementing ideas and seeing positive results!
Pros
rewarding working with a recognized charity
Cons
extreme restrictions in operating budget
stressful but FUN
Cashier/Store Clerk (Current Employee) –  granville, bcMay 14, 2013
I like working at Salvation army, been working there since 2008, loved the people who works there, they're fun to work with, we're like a family working together, the customers (well some) =)
I learned a lot from working here, how salvation army help people, ex. homelessness, kids camp, ambulance, firefighters etc.

The hardest part on working at Salvation army was you work around the store from pricing, sorting, cashier, donation & paperwork but the wages only goes up 1%-2% every year. Sadly, year 2013 my wage is still around $10.71 =( so I think its time for me to find a second job.

It's fun to work here, you'll meet different people from different culture & backgrounds.
Pros
i can take one month vacation
Cons
always nightshift
Amazing Workplace with friendly outgoing workers
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBAugust 20, 2013
Volunteering at the Salvation Army was a great experience for me, everyone i worked with welcomed me with opened arms. i was treated as if i worked there for years. a typical day working at the Salvation Army involved lots of helping with customers and organizing clothes, putting them away, pricing items and etc. it was very busy and very fast paced which is good because you never got bored! the management there was amazing, the co-workers were also amazing. the job wasn't that hard, i enjoyed it a lot. i enjoyed being able to help the customers find items that they wanted, i love helping people so working at the Salvation Army was a great experience.
Volunteering
VOLUNTEER (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONMay 19, 2015
Typically, volunteering for the christmas kettle involves constant flow of enthusiasm and energy. Shifts are three hours long, during all hours of the day and evening. The hardest element to the job was the ability to keep a high energy especially when no one was around, but overall the experience was incredible. The best part about this job was talking to the public and making small talk and communicating a happy and warming atmosphere In such a cold and stressful time in the year. I've had two years of experience with the christmas kettle, and in conclusion I think the opportunity was great and widely accessible to everyone.
Very productive work days. However, extremely poor management and leadreship skills shown by the boss/manager.
Sales Representative/Clerk (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ONJune 4, 2014
At the beginning of a typical day at work, I would begin by sorting clothes which were brought in by donators. Than aftwerwards, go for the first break of the day. Followed by tagging the donations by color coded tags. Once my daily duties were completed, I would than stock the glass case and shelves with the new items.
Pros
meeting new work employees. learning brand new skills to take with me to other work places.
Cons
very, very poor management. the boss was not at all friendly to me, while he was to all the other worker.
I learned a lot while working here.
Cashier / Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mill Bay, BCMay 16, 2013
My job was very busy and there was always work to do. Depending on what job I was doing it was imperative I be taking care of the clients. Management was always watching what the staff was doing in the best interests of the clients. My coworkers were very loyal and studious workers. They believed completely in their jobs. The hardest part of the job was watching the hard road some of our clents were travelling and not being able to do anything for them. The most enjoyable part of the job was the success story of one of our clients.
Pros
free lunches, commaraderie
Cons
hard work and long hours
Playing with children
Resident Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Yellowknife, NTJune 11, 2015
Working with outreach people. Addiction Counselling. At the men shelter serving food and shelter, maintain peace, doing programs.

I learned to,promote the dignity of all persons, meet human needs and being a transforming influence in the communities of our world, striving to be the best at what we do, honesty, trustworthy, and accountablity, Committment etc.,

I enjoying working as a team with co-workers, sharing food, learning culture, being honest and commeted.

Saying No, this is hard part of my life.

I enjoying by working. I feel work is worship.
Pros
According to the shift . lunch / supper
Cons
12hrs
Customers - Feeling Of Satisfaction
Store Clerk (Former Employee) –  Collingwood, ONSeptember 22, 2014
This was a part time position working in the store front.

I enjoyed working with the staff and helping the customers day to day.

This was a second hand store and the majority of the patrons were less fortunate.

I helped in anyway possible, whether it be with offering food bank services or helping with vouchers for clothing.

This was a great learning experience for me as I was not sure where I wanted to go with my career. I work another part time job at the time for A&P in the office and customer service.

The staff at the Salvation army are very caring and wonderful people to work for.
Productive and fun workplace
Summer Student (Former Employee) –  Sault Ste. Marie, ONApril 14, 2013
I have learned a lot from working at Salvation Army.
I got to learn how to pick up boxes the right way so you didn't put your back out. I learned how to deal with customers on a daily basis. The management was great. My co-workers were nice, and fun to be around, they helped me learn new tasks. The hardest part of the job is having to deal with mean customers, and Folding clothes, putting them in boxes and labeling it by the seasons. The most enjoyable part of the job is going on breaks, and lunches. Also I enjoyed when they taught me how to use the cash register.
Pros
lunches, co-workers
Cons
Interesting and rewarding place to volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Lower Sackville, NSJuly 7, 2014
On a typical day of volunteer work i would usually donate about 5 hours of my time during the day to help out. Donations are constantly flowing in and it takes a great team effort to get everything organized and ready to be sold. Replenshing the merchandise is key in keeping the newer items on the shelves and separating the older items to be shipped of to other countries who are need. Overall this was a great experience for me, i had the pleasure of meeting new people daily from all walks of life.
Pros
donate as much or little time as preferred
Cons
slow paced environment
Productive and meaningful work place
Residential Support worker (Current Employee) –  Whitehorse, YTMarch 18, 2014
There is a good cooperation and involvement between the workers.
There is a deeper sense connected with that work as we follow the guidelines of the Salvation Army Mission statement. The work requires a vigilance of mind but also kindness of heart, and I like that. I experienced a good management at my place. I like the opportunity to learn about peoples lives and their problems and winning their trust as we try to help them. The work has a meaning for me as one of ways to better a life of individuals and the community.
Pros
good work atmosphere
Cons
night shift
The Salvation Army
INTAKE ASSOCIATE WORKER (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 15, 2012
A typical day at work deals with alot of interacting with clients, such as problem solving, basic needs, food and sheltering.

ive learned and develop knowledge and understanding about dealing with homeless clients etc

managment was very professional

my co-workers also good with the client, from activities planning to serving clients with food and shelter

the hardest part of the job ...... i dont remember dealing with a defficult moment on the job

the most enjoyable part of the job... Engaging in active listening and problem solving around clients difficulties and needs
Helping other people and greeting people at the same time
Kettle Donation Representative (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONDecember 31, 2012
I took donations which people would drop in the kettle in different amounts. I enjoyed working in the public but I also felt good about the fact that the money being collected was helping other needy families. I had different shifts and times weekly. I was responsible for safeguarding the money at all times. We only had one person on the kettle at a time. The hardest part was standing in one position for the entire shift.
Pros
meeting different people and helping people
Cons
standing in one spot for an extended period of time
Good place to start Retail career with flexible Management and Health benefits.
Store Associate (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBDecember 24, 2014
Customer Service
Sales
Merchandising
Production/Pricing
Inventory Control
Quality Control
Warehouse Experience

Flexible Management/Good and hard working team

Most challenging part of the job is sorting quality items through large amounts of donations in less time and pricing them correctly.

Most enjoyable part of the job is meeting and greeting customers, interacting with them and giving them information on products and items. Selling the best items to customers and making them happy.
Mundane, unfriendly and unrewarding
Cashier/Production Clerk (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SaskatchewanJune 19, 2015
Although I do like customrer service the Salvation Army was mundane and boring. A typical day consisted of sorting clothes, stocking the racks and shelves and assisting customers. I was able to enhance my customer service skills. The management team was unfriendly, rude and disrespectful. My co-workers varied from being very nice to being rude and obnoxious. The hardest part of my job was dealing with the unpleasant social environment. The most enjoyable part of my job was working with the customers.
Pros
Pay check
Cons
Unfriendly, mundane
PRODUCTIVE AND FUN
Aged and disable support worker (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCSeptember 8, 2013
THE SORT OF PLACE YOU CAN'T WAIT TO GET THERE, AND YOU CAN'T HELP TO FEEL GREAT AT THE END OF YOUR SHIFT JUST BECAUSE YOU MADE POSITIVE CONTRIBUTION TO SOMEONE'S LIFE.
I LEARNT SOME THING NEW EVERY TIME I WAS THERE SOME FROM CLIENTS OTHERS FROM CO/WORKERS AND MANAGEMENT.
THE HARDEST PART OF THE JOB IS TO BE EXPOSED TO THE CRUELTY OF AGEING OR THE PHYSICAL, MENTAL AND EMOTIONAL SUFFERING THAT THEY BATTLE BRAVELY IN DAILY BASES AND THE ONLY THING I OFFER IS ADMIRATION EMPATHY, AND WORMS.
THE MOST ENJOYABLE PART OF JOB IS WHEN I PUT SMILE ON CLIENT'S FACE.
Overall
Volunteer / Cook (Former Employee) –  Barrie OntarioDecember 11, 2012
Working for the Salvation army was a great experience.
It was difficult to maintain a sense of stability Menu wise, as all things were day to day and almost 90% on donations.

The people I worked with as well as the ones I got to meet while working there made a huge impression on my life, and left me with many little lessons learned and a better understanding of the Homeless and their situations, as well as their day to day life.
Pros
good people, relaxed environment while prepping
Cons
stressful enviroment while serving. can be dangerous depending on people and day.
I would love to be re-hired at the S.A. Brampton location.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONJanuary 31, 2013
It was a fast-paced environment, I start my day cleaning up my work station, then, filling the book shelves, DVD's, VHS, CD's, Socks, and Hats shelves. I learn to appreciate those less fortunate than others, it brings out the kindness of love for others.I learned what replenishing meant. I felt I was doing a good job, and loved doing it. My co-workers were very friendly (although, I did not spend too much time with them, and really get to know them more), I only worked for December, and truly loved it.
Pros
non
Cons
non
It was a very fun and comfortable place and learning place.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 16, 2012
I have learn how to work with people and how to treat people. I was also able to learn how to manage kids there how to keep them save and play with them. I was a favorable person by every one. The hardest thing is that when I go there people would not want me to go and I my self would not want to leave I just wanted to work until late . The enjoyable thing for me was that every body love me and I have done a lot for them too .
Pros
i was cooking and we have to eat for free too
Cons
i was there for almost the whole day every day
Providing gentle care
Health Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Brandon, MBSeptember 25, 2013
As a health care aide with Salvation army, I would help my elders with their every day routines such as getting up, using the washroom, bathing, shaving, getting dressed and all the other basic necessities that my elders needed. From this type of work I learned that patience is the key to getting all tasks done, even if its not on time. The hardest part of my jobs was not getting emotionally attached to my elders. The most enjoyable part was receiving hugs, smiles and words of thanks from my elders for taking care of them.