The Salvation Army

The Salvation Army Employee Reviews

an ok job
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  London, ON30 September 2016
management was to impatient and not friendly, the staff was under union and seemed unfair to new employees. with time and training much more patients need to train new people.
Easy place to work hard.
Anchorage Addictions Counselor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 April 2016
A typical work day started at 08:00 and completed at 16:00. A lot of the skills I learned in the network administrator course were reinforced through the problem diagnostic and problem resolution process. I learned a lot about BlackBerry's and their use in government. Keeping track of the various problems and resolution is important since these problems repeat themselves. Remaining approachable with my coworkers is very important in keeping a positive team effort. The hardest part of the job was learning the proprietary government software. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people I worked with, they are very professional and genuinely good people. It was easy to work hard in that environment.
Pros
The people I worked with.
Cons
Only three month term contracts.
Genuinely caring people
Strategy & Change Consultant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 September 2016
The staff and managers are great to work with. The salary levels are low but the flexibility and ability to work from home are great.
Productive work place
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON14 July 2016
An excellent place to work. The staff are friendly, and bubbly and willing to help where necessary.
I love working with these people....and would love to work with them again in the future.
Pros
lots of room for advancement
Cons
some long shifts
good atmosphere
Cashier/Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Dawson Creek, BC10 December 2016
Sorting donations that come in. then running cash and then into pricing or hanging area.
What I learned is it's never the same thing twice. You never know what some people will donate.
The people that volunteer and work there are all good people. We all get along. it's a happy atmosphere.
Some of the things people donate.
Seeing old faces that I recognize
Pros
free water and some food
The salvation Army provided Great Communication and Management Skills.
Manager Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC26 October 2016
This position was very demanding. It combined much multitasking, tolerance of stressful situations, and demanding time restraints.

It taught me to achieve far more than I thought myself capable of. It also gave me great satisfaction in the many ways I could help others in need.
Pros
Very Demanding, Stressful
Cons
Very rewarding, gave me confidence
Please see below
Cashier and Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB23 November 2016
I enjoyed my duration with the Salvation Army, I enjoyed customer service and had the opportunity of working with a dynamic bunch of co workers. I learned a great deal from the Manager . Customer service is my most enjoyable aspect of the job.
Pros
At the time, adaptable working hours to accomondate a working mother.
Cons
I can happy report there were no cons.
Chill little summer position!
Summer Student (Former Employee) –  Creston North, NL1 January 2017
Very quiet and serene. Super chill atmosphere just sorting through donations and stocking the shelves. The volunteers you work with are generally pretty cool and will help you create a 'hope chest' for when you move out or get married. It's fun and cool.
Pros
50% off already inexpensive merchandise.
great people that I worked with
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC18 September 2016
Opened and closed the cash registers
Daily upkeep of the store
Customer service
Learned to help customers and work with employees in a mmore productive way.
Really got along with the employees there.
Hardest part was the repetitiveness of the physical work.
Interacting with the customers and co workers was enjoyable!
Pros
enjoyed interacting with co workers
Cons
repetitive work
Outstanding global Organization
Graphic Designer (Freelance) (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC15 January 2017
The Salvation Army is an excellent Organization that treats its employees with the utmost highest regard. My job allows lots of creative freedom from the company and provides me a sense of fulfillment to be part of such an outstanding group of people.
Productive and Fun
Protection Officer (Former Employee) –  9919 MacDonald Ave17 June 2016
My experience working with Salvation Army was productive, and enjoyable, grate management in overall, as well as excellent team work with entire co-workers,
Driver (Former Employee) –  Courtenay, BC15 March 2016
Love the people you work with.
You make a difference in the community you work in.
Lots of room for advancement.
Great benefits.
Good place to work for
Supervisor of Quality Control Department (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON5 November 2016
I liked working for the company. Working at the Salvation Army presented me the opportunity to give back to my community and to truly help those in need.
Enjoyable staff, great workers and a fun envirorment
Kettle Host (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC19 June 2016
Worked alone, greeted people that donated and passed by. Got to meet a lot of nice people and would differently recommend this job to other people
Pros
Met a lot of people
Fun to work here.
Cashier / Store Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 December 2016
Accommodating and attending to the needs of customers is my daily tasks as a cashier. It helps me build confidence and motivation to do my job well. It is fun to work here sorting donations and arranging them. My co-workers are friendly.
i just volunteered there it was fine
Food Bank Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC16 January 2017
i was a volunteer it was fine i learned how to work well with others i had to organize lots of things the most enjoyable part was everyone was very nice to work with
Dynamic, Fluctuating Workplace
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  Courtenay, BC4 February 2016
A typical day involves the receiving, sorting, and pricing of donations which can range from clothes, books and housewares, to furniture, mattresses, and dressers.
The rate at which you work fluctuates often as it is almost entirely dependent on the amount of donations that are being received and the rate at which items are being sold. This requires a lot of adaptability and thinking on your toes, which may work for some, but not for others.
The hardest part of this job is having to sort through all the garbage and useless junk that often comes with donations.
The most enjoyable part of this job is definitely the satisfaction of having helped someone who was in need.
Pros
Helping those in need
Cons
Excessive garbage, sub-par management
i like working with seniors
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON2 December 2016
i like this place it was a great feeling to help seniors and help them get out of there rooms at time .it was very different for me to deal with that age group .
Clean environment, productive workplace
Shelf Stocker, Sales assistant, customer service (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON21 May 2016
The workplace is filled with friendly coworkers and supervisors to be around. The changing atmosphere of the workplace always provided an interesting and enjoyable experience.
Pros
long beraks
handing out food
volunteer (Current Employee) –  Salmon Arm, BC22 November 2016
i enjoy helping others through the salvation army and doing the kettle bell when christmas comes around i have currently signed up to do every friday up untill christmas