The Salvation Army

The Salvation Army Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Rewarding volunteer work
General Helper (Former Employee), Brampton, ONJune 9, 2014
Got to meet many people, and perform many tasks. This includes shelf stocking, packing clothes, and cleaning.
Good job, volunteering server
Volunteer Server (Former Employee), HamiltonJune 7, 2014
Helping other
Postive atitude
Good communication skills
Good leadership skills
Assertive
Very productive work days. However, extremely poor management and leadreship skills shown by the boss/manager.
Sales Representative/Clerk (Former Employee), Brantford, ONJune 4, 2014
Pros: meeting new work employees. learning brand new skills to take with me to other work places.
Cons: very, very poor management. the boss was not at all friendly to me, while he was to all the other worker.
At the beginning of a typical day at work, I would begin by sorting clothes which were brought in by donators. Than aftwerwards, go for the first break of the day. Followed by tagging the donations by color coded tags. Once my daily duties were completed, I would than stock the glass case and shelves with the new items.
Productivity was a major part of your day,,, not much time for Customer service.
Store Manager (Former Employee), Halifax, NSMay 23, 2014
Pros: helping those in need..
Cons: not helping enough in need :(
I was recruited from another company (Penningtons after being there only 4 weeks.). Was literally hired on the spot.!!. and made an Assistant Manager at the store in Bayers Lake… when that store closed out, I managed the Thrift Store in Lower Sackville for 2 years and then moved to the Herring Cove Store for another 2 years… The National Recycling Organization – more... was going through a lot of changes just before I left and there was no room for advancement, as they were taking the bigger jobs to Moncton, and I was not prepared to move at that time.. The best part of the job was the interaction with the customers and helping out and "giving back" which is what the stores were all about.. Getting the merchandise out to the floor in a timely manner was a challenge,, but I love a challenge, and thoroughly enjoyed my time with that Company… – less
my co-workers are kind, helpful and good management
Store Clerk (Current Employee), Brossard, QCMay 18, 2014
the working condition is excellent and teamwork, camaraderie exists between the co-workers
Awesome place to work!
Server (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONMay 12, 2014
Pros: free lunches
Cons: hours
GOOD
5STAR
Things to know about I learned in this job
GOOD
GOOD
Really Great Place To Work
Great place to learn
Correctional Worker II (Current Employee), Kitchener ONMay 10, 2014
Throughout working at the Salvation army I have learned quite a bit about the Salvation army itself as well as Corrections in Canada. This is a job where working with people is the main priority and helping individuals reintegrate into society is very important. This is a great place for learning about the criminal justice system.
Volunteer
Volunteer Experiences (Former Employee), Saskatoon, SKMay 7, 2014
For my christian ethic service, I am really enjoying to working at there. I only got 10 hours for volunteer. I learned how to serving the meals and etc, easy job
Good experience
Retail Merchandiser (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 6, 2014
Good brand and company culture due to its non-for-profit environment
Professional Workplace
Salvation Army Thrift Store (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 1, 2014
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: long work hours
It was a good experience, I developed individual responsibility skills and added work experience to my resume, good health benefits, friendly staff, flexible hours and professional workplace.
Meeting new people
Fundraising Coordinator (Former Employee), Toronto, OntarioApril 18, 2014
Pros: flexible work hours
Cons: when there is not enough donation.
what i did was collect donation during the Christmas season. i would just stand there and greet people and its up to them if they want to make a donation. and of course its always nice to meet new people.
Productive and meaningful work place
Residential Support worker (Current Employee), Whitehorse, YTMarch 18, 2014
Pros: good work atmosphere
Cons: night shift
There is a good cooperation and involvement between the workers.
There is a deeper sense connected with that work as we follow the guidelines of the Salvation Army Mission statement. The work requires a vigilance of mind but also kindness of heart, and I like that. I experienced a good management at my place. I like the opportunity to learn about peoples – more... lives and their problems and winning their trust as we try to help them. The work has a meaning for me as one of ways to better a life of individuals and the community. – less
great experience to communicate with new immigrants and to gain teaching experience
French instructor (volunteer) (Current Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 11, 2014
French language class
I learned how to communicate with new immigrants
I prepare and design contents for the class
I work alone
I really enjoy in teaching and communicate with the students
Fun workplace
Community hours (Former Employee), ScarboroughMarch 3, 2014
Pros: very nice environment
Cons: no enough hours
It was a very good experience, I got to learn & go to some very new places. I got the chance to meet some very amazing people, learn time management, also how it feels to be in a work setting.
great place to do your hours or even just volunteer your time :)
Volunteered Hanging Clothes (Former Employee), ONFebruary 27, 2014
I did my Part hanging clothes in milton, than in ajax i had helped feed the other homeless at our soup kitchen.
Will be doing it again this year
Christmas Kettle Worker (Former Employee), Port Colborne, ONFebruary 23, 2014
It was a great way to meet and greet people and inform them about the company. A typical day is standing for 4 or more hours talking to people. Co-workers were great, even though we were all at different locations with-in the town of Port Colborne. Standing outside in the elements were hard at time but was still fun.
Fun place to work
Kettle Coordinator (Former Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 14, 2014
I enjoyed working at Bloor Central. The job was exciting and fast pace, however, it is only seasonal.
productive yet challenging fun workplace
Store Manager (Former Employee), Thunder Bay, ONFebruary 13, 2014
Pros: working with people, great hours
Cons: very physical
a very challenging position, quotas and budgets had to be met
learned to motivate, organize, deligate people best for a position
training staff for a variety of positions so we could place any person in any area of store was difficult
customer service and motivating was the most enjoyable
I love the people
VOLUNTEER AND COMMUNITY (Former Employee), Grande PrairieFebruary 10, 2014
I volunteered at the Salvation Army for a school project and I loved it. The people were very nice and it's a awesome feeling helping others
Volunteer work
Volunteer Work (Former Employee), Scarborough, ONFebruary 9, 2014
Pros: free lunch
A typical day is helping out with events and what ever work needs to be done. I've learned the patience of helping others and that good things will come with dedication. The management there was great as well as the co-workers. The job wasn't hard as it is volunteer work. The pastor is a very friendly guy and made jokes here and there making the working – more... environment a fun place. – less

About The Salvation Army

The Salvation Army is a Christian church known for its thrift stores and charity work. It is an international movement that works – Read more

The Salvation Army Photos