The Salvation Army Employee Reviews

Physical and exhausting, environment is okay
Store Associate / Grader (Current Employee) –  Stoney Creek, ON23 July 2017
I enjoy working with the public, I like the job, although the physical aspect is tough and after a day of work I am exhausted, management can be tough to work with especially the district manager.. push push push, meeting high production quota's can be very difficult
Pros
like my hours of 8 to 4:30
Cons
very physical
Best place to meet people from different backgrounds
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC23 July 2017
I like this place because of polite nature of employers and volunteers or people coming there. I come in contact with new persons every day and by talking with them i really feel very happy.
More than meets the eye
Employee (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS20 July 2017
Lots of services offered at the building and in the community. Food bank, men's shelter, addictions, women's meetings, bible study, youth camps, help with heat and power and so much more.
full time work
Secretary/Receptionist, Dates (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON19 July 2017
low pay, full time work at office hours. no chance of advancement or raises. Religious environment. good people to work with mostly. a lot of paper work and red tape
Hard place to work and no support
Maintenance Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 July 2017
It's hard to do your job when your supervisor knows very little on how the job is to be done. The person in H.R. did not understand how thing get done. No support, from upper staff. Lots of work to do, little time to do it, hurry get it done. Staff could care less how it looked when told to go back and fix it they would go to the manager and cry, that they had to go back.
Pros
free coffee and treats, some nice people.
Cons
no support
Hard work with no acknowledgement for it.
Inventory Organizor (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB14 July 2017
Working alone a good part of my shift. Unfortunately the amount of work needed to be completed daily was next to impossible to complete. Work conditions were not ideal for anyone. Freezing cold in the winter, extremely hot in the summer. Heavy lifting, searching for items for customers.
Pros
Worked alone
Cons
Short hours, too much work for short period of time.
different every day.
Cashier and Customer service (Current Employee) –  Kelowna Rutland Thrift Store12 July 2017
Love working here, but I need more hours than are available. The group atmosphere is great. As I work as part of the receiving end of the store we take donations and meet different people every day. I am also a cashier and sales associate so iI ring through sales and returns, help customers on the sales floor and tidy up.
Pros
training programs on how to handle situations with different types of customers.
Cons
very warm at the receiving end of the store as you spend most of the days outdoors .
Not a good place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON10 July 2017
I currently work here, and i regret taking the job. All of my coworkers are incredibly hard working and very friendly people, but there is too much gossip in the workplace. The manager is very rude and ignorant. Also, the manager shows favoritism and does not care for your well being. In the job interview, it was stated that you will be alternated from cash to floor, to donations. That is all BS. I have been stuck in the donation center since i started 3 months ago and the management and other co-workers refuse to train me for cash because i do so well with taking donations. It is unfair and very tiring emotionally and physically. I suggest to anyone deciding to take up a job here, to know what you're getting into. The pay is good and the people are really easy to work with, but the work is very unfair and hard.
Pros
Good pay, long lunches
Cons
Long Hours, rude management, favoritism
Productive and fun workplace
Salvation Army Kettle Collector and Meal Provision (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 July 2017
I had a wonderful time working at North Toronto Tennis Club. Many friendships were made and the season went smoothly. If given the chance, I would return there.
Nice place
Driver's Assistant (Current Employee) –  Strathroy, ON3 July 2017
Great store, great people, great environment, great owners (majors), really easy to work with the people, as a whole its a great place to work at for anyone.
Good work-place
Assistant Manager, Retail Operations (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 June 2017
Its a good place to start the career but not up to the mark in terms of salary. The management needs to be more understanding of the financial needs of employees
Pros
Friendly atmosphere
Cons
Poor compensation
learned a lot
Machine Operator/Labourer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 June 2017
its was allright job just doing snow removal but since there would only be work when there is a lot of snow then it was hard to connect with the current boss to go with him to work.
Great job.
Community Access Worker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 June 2017
My job entailed assisting people to have access to resources and services for basic needs such as housing, employment, food hampers, bus tickets etc. I found this job to be very rewarding.
Pros
Lots of support for staff.
Fun and rewarding
ASSISTANT KITCHEN MANAGER - THE BLIND MONK (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 June 2017
I really enjoyed cooking and serving my clients ( homeless). It always a treat to make sure my clients had food in them so they could carry on with their day or share their stories by end of the day.
Pros
Helping people out
Cons
Be treat like noone cares some days
soul fulfilling career
Distribution and recycling manager (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC17 June 2017
Excellent job for soul fulfillment. Great people great cause. Had I not been re locating I would have happily stayed. A transfer was not available in my new area.
Great Experience
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  London, ON13 June 2017
Was A wonderful place to feel you were making a difference. Just wish that you had a chance to try different stations instead of just sorting cloths. Unless you were friends with Management you stayed in one place and didn't get to rotate any where.
Great work environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Gananoque, ON7 June 2017
working here there was always a positive attitude i loved coming here, there was never a day i dreaded coming in. staff is amazing, wish i could go back.
Temp
Kettle Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Lindsay, ON7 June 2017
This was a Seasonal job. I handled the operations of the Kettles and all the volunteers to make sure all shifts were filled. Drop off the kettles at the locations each day and sometime pick them up at the end of the day. Sometimes had to fill in.
Chef (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 June 2017
Very Good Environment to work. Good Staff with very good caring . there is a so many programme for all kind of people (kids,older and youngest , ) they also take any donation and give away lots of stuff
Productive and great place to work.
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON25 May 2017
The Salvation Army fosters learning and personal growth.The company is a great place to work.The environment is competitive and fast paced, Many opportunities to grow and train.
I would recommend this workplace to others.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Salvation Army. Our community is ready to answer.