The Salvation Army

The Salvation Army Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Great place to learn
Correctional Worker II (Current Employee), Kitchener ONMay 10, 2014
Throughout working at the Salvation army I have learned quite a bit about the Salvation army itself as well as Corrections in Canada. This is a job where working with people is the main priority and helping individuals reintegrate into society is very important. This is a great place for learning about the criminal justice system.
Volunteer
Volunteer Experiences (Former Employee), Saskatoon, SKMay 7, 2014
For my christian ethic service, I am really enjoying to working at there. I only got 10 hours for volunteer. I learned how to serving the meals and etc, easy job
Good experience
Retail Merchandiser (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 6, 2014
Good brand and company culture due to its non-for-profit environment
Professional Workplace
Salvation Army Thrift Store (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 1, 2014
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: long work hours
It was a good experience, I developed individual responsibility skills and added work experience to my resume, good health benefits, friendly staff, flexible hours and professional workplace.
Meeting new people
Fundraising Coordinator (Former Employee), Toronto, OntarioApril 18, 2014
Pros: flexible work hours
Cons: when there is not enough donation.
what i did was collect donation during the Christmas season. i would just stand there and greet people and its up to them if they want to make a donation. and of course its always nice to meet new people.
Productive and meaningful work place
Residential Support worker (Current Employee), Whitehorse, YTMarch 18, 2014
Pros: good work atmosphere
Cons: night shift
There is a good cooperation and involvement between the workers.
There is a deeper sense connected with that work as we follow the guidelines of the Salvation Army Mission statement. The work requires a vigilance of mind but also kindness of heart, and I like that. I experienced a good management at my place. I like the opportunity to learn about peoples – more... lives and their problems and winning their trust as we try to help them. The work has a meaning for me as one of ways to better a life of individuals and the community. – less
great experience to communicate with new immigrants and to gain teaching experience
French instructor (volunteer) (Current Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 11, 2014
French language class
I learned how to communicate with new immigrants
I prepare and design contents for the class
I work alone
I really enjoy in teaching and communicate with the students
Fun workplace
Community hours (Former Employee), ScarboroughMarch 3, 2014
Pros: very nice environment
Cons: no enough hours
It was a very good experience, I got to learn & go to some very new places. I got the chance to meet some very amazing people, learn time management, also how it feels to be in a work setting.
great place to do your hours or even just volunteer your time :)
Volunteered Hanging Clothes (Former Employee), ONFebruary 27, 2014
I did my Part hanging clothes in milton, than in ajax i had helped feed the other homeless at our soup kitchen.
Will be doing it again this year
Christmas Kettle Worker (Former Employee), Port Colborne, ONFebruary 23, 2014
It was a great way to meet and greet people and inform them about the company. A typical day is standing for 4 or more hours talking to people. Co-workers were great, even though we were all at different locations with-in the town of Port Colborne. Standing outside in the elements were hard at time but was still fun.
Fun place to work
Kettle Coordinator (Former Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 14, 2014
I enjoyed working at Bloor Central. The job was exciting and fast pace, however, it is only seasonal.
productive yet challenging fun workplace
Store Manager (Former Employee), Thunder Bay, ONFebruary 13, 2014
Pros: working with people, great hours
Cons: very physical
a very challenging position, quotas and budgets had to be met
learned to motivate, organize, deligate people best for a position
training staff for a variety of positions so we could place any person in any area of store was difficult
customer service and motivating was the most enjoyable
I love the people
VOLUNTEER AND COMMUNITY (Former Employee), Grande PrairieFebruary 10, 2014
I volunteered at the Salvation Army for a school project and I loved it. The people were very nice and it's a awesome feeling helping others
Volunteer work
Volunteer Work (Former Employee), Scarborough, ONFebruary 9, 2014
Pros: free lunch
A typical day is helping out with events and what ever work needs to be done. I've learned the patience of helping others and that good things will come with dedication. The management there was great as well as the co-workers. The job wasn't hard as it is volunteer work. The pastor is a very friendly guy and made jokes here and there making the working – more... environment a fun place. – less
The are considered the Blacksheep of the Salvation Army Organizationcar
driver (Current Employee), Oakville NROFebruary 4, 2014
When working for the SA do not consider yourself part of the greater organization unless you are working for a church store. The ethics and Mission statement mean very little, its all about money and employees are treated without a great deal of respect, they are simply a means to produce income.
Multi-tasking
Receptionist/Fleet Coordinator/Statistician (Current Employee), Burnaby, BCJanuary 24, 2014
Pros: being apart of a team, not by myself
Cons: upset people calling and i can't help them.
In my office each department has separate times of the year when they reach their overload limit because they are so busy.
What I love most about my position is that I'm able to help them (Program, Business, Public Relations) during that time.

The hardest part of my job is if I have to say no (to their request for help) because I have to much on my – more... plate at the time. – less
Interactive Place to Work
VOLUNTEER & COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 6, 2014
A typical day at work consisted of helping customers, as well as sorting out donations and pricing. Management was organized and methodical in dealings with customers and employees.
Coworkers consisted of a diverse group of people. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping customers.
Working for a worthwhile cause
Count Room Supervisor (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJanuary 2, 2014
This was an annual major fund raising effort by the organization.
Housing resource worker
Housing Resource Worker (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONDecember 31, 2013
- A typical day would include finding accommodations for clients
-I learned how to work from an anti oppressive stand point with clients
-The management was very helpful and always eager to teach me new things about their organization
-Worked with fun loving staff members, very family oriented
-The hardest thing about the job was self care because of – more... the high burn out rate
-The most enjoyable part was doing what i love – less
Enjoyed passing on the information to people about the role of Salvation Army
Fundraiser (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONDecember 28, 2013
Talked to people by seeking donations for Salvation Army. I learned that the donations we get from people change the invisible minority lives like the homeless people. I have passion to do community service work so it was a great experience to work with salvation Army,

About The Salvation Army

Battling to provide social services, The Salvation Army is more than 4 million strong -- including some 3.4 million registered – Read more

The Salvation Army Photos