The Salvation Army Employee Reviews in Canada

Fun
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 30, 2016
It was fun wrapping gifts for a good cause. Working with co workers was nice. Hardest part of job was around christmas time when there was a lot go gift wrapping to do.
enjoyable and great staff
Facilities Manager (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBApril 26, 2016
working with the army has educated me in what hard ships peole face ,not only day to day ,but also long term. I now do more for people in need and look different at my surroundings
A Good Work Experience
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONApril 26, 2016
Overall, my experience with volunteering at the Salvation Army was a positive one; I learned how to efficiently fold and hang up clothing in a presentable manner. The store was managed very well and all information regarding my tasks was relayed to me clearly. As my experience at the Salvation Army was volunteer work, co-workers were inconsistent, however everyone seemed to be in good spirits and I got along with everyone with no issues. The hardest part of the job was having to remain on my feet for hours at a time, however, I quickly adjusted and managed well. Overall, volunteering was great practice for a potential retail position in the future.
Easy place to work hard.
Anchorage Addictions Counselor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 14, 2016
A typical work day started at 08:00 and completed at 16:00. A lot of the skills I learned in the network administrator course were reinforced through the problem diagnostic and problem resolution process. I learned a lot about BlackBerry's and their use in government. Keeping track of the various problems and resolution is important since these problems repeat themselves. Remaining approachable with my coworkers is very important in keeping a positive team effort. The hardest part of the job was learning the proprietary government software. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people I worked with, they are very professional and genuinely good people. It was easy to work hard in that environment.
Pros
The people I worked with.
Cons
Only three month term contracts.
A1
Relief Residential Counsellor (Current Employee) –  Binbrook, ONApril 12, 2016
Awesome employer! You really feel like you belong to part of the team. It is an employer that you can move up in and gain experience.
A truely giving place to work.
Cook full coursed meals for 300 men (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 4, 2016
Salvation Army helps so many people and I was so lucky to be part of that.
So many caring people all in one place. Beautiful
Great Place to Volunteer
Volunteer Clothing Racker (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONMarch 27, 2016
- Go into Salvation Army Thrift Store
- I learned how to be patient with customers
- The Management team was amazing
- Co-Workers were also great
- There was no hard part
- The most enjoyable part of volunteering was helping out and making the customers feel good about themselves
Pros
Great Staff
work environment great
Family Services(Externship) (Former Employee) –  Bloor CenytralMarch 26, 2016
a lot of room to enhance interpersonal skills as well learning to deal with the public as individuals as a whole. As well as being to understand their needs.
clean work space
FRONTLINE SUPPORT STAFF (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, ONMarch 26, 2016
very nice new building, great place to start your social work career. good staff and a great daily plan for clients to get back on there feet and start a new.
A fun workplace with a lot of variety.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMarch 23, 2016
Salvation Army was one of the best workplaces I had worked for.
Even though it was only a summer job, I had enjoyed learning in practice about accounting, saw for the first time a balanced sheet,
took part in the staff meeting and enjoyed my co-workers jokes.
Both management and staff were very inclusive of me, and also very helpful professionally.
Difficult but rewarding
Hostel & Front Desk worker (Former Employee) –  LondonMarch 23, 2016
Co-workers are incredible for the most part, built a solid relationship with most of them. Very team-oriented environment.
Management seems to be a little out of the loop with what it is like to actually work the floors which results in some less than helpful advice from them.
Can be a little dangerous and difficult at times but overall rewarding.
Pros
Cheap lunches/dinners, team environment
Cons
Long hours, emotionally and mentally draining
clean
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 16, 2016
A lot people come shopping most of them is the old people old people their nice i love helping them and they have a lot of stories to tell plus when they cant pick up heavy stuff i always help them and they love me.
Driver (Former Employee) –  Courtenay, BCMarch 15, 2016
Love the people you work with.
You make a difference in the community you work in.
Lots of room for advancement.
Great benefits.
great organization to work for and build experience
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBFebruary 26, 2016
It is an empowering organization with an amazing value. The goal of people is to help others and I enjoyed working here. Everyone is very understanding and encouraging.
Intensive work environment
Residential Worker (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONFebruary 17, 2016
on the midnight shift I took part in file managemnent, as well as doing house checks and maintaning log books. I enjoyed connecting with clients and helping them complete there goals set out in there case management plans.
great organization to work for.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBFebruary 12, 2016
managed store and employees. Handled organizing of volunteers. Managed area promotions,public relations and quarterly inventories.worked for blue bag it to organize donations.
Pros
helping people in need.
Cons
very human experiences every day
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Chilliwack. b.c.February 12, 2016
serving breakfast and chatting with clientele
discussing possibilities and days events with clientele
problem solving, finding answers, defusing frustration from escalating
verbalizing options of clients and finding avenues for them to follow.
filing, telephone calls, data entry,
interviewing and assessing situations and conditions of people in the moment
calling appropriate agencies, looking up on line for information
in-taking whilst being unprejudiced, non- judgmental or indifferent
showing a compassionate and empathetic attitude, both with body language and voice tones
ensuring safety and cleanliness was upheld, both by staff as well as clientele
being honest and straightforward
Pros
enjoyed the daily challanges, with working amoungst the homeless
Cons
found that after almost 6 years, i was becoming detached and a bit sceptic of others...
Fast paced, friendly environment with everyday opportunites to learn something new.
Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBFebruary 9, 2016
There is no such thing as a typical day of work at the Salvation Army. Some days you spend your whole day on the till and assisting customers. Others you would be running around taking donations, and insuring the store remained in good condition. I am thankful for the opportunity to work here as i got to learn may things about all the different products that have come to us in donations. My co-works were friendly and always ready to lend a hand for those in need. Sometimes it became difficult to keep up with the large volumes of the customers but ironically it also became one of my favorite parts of the job.Above all else there was a real satisfaction in giving back to you community,
Dynamic, Fluctuating Workplace
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  Courtenay, BCFebruary 4, 2016
A typical day involves the receiving, sorting, and pricing of donations which can range from clothes, books and housewares, to furniture, mattresses, and dressers.
The rate at which you work fluctuates often as it is almost entirely dependent on the amount of donations that are being received and the rate at which items are being sold. This requires a lot of adaptability and thinking on your toes, which may work for some, but not for others.
The hardest part of this job is having to sort through all the garbage and useless junk that often comes with donations.
The most enjoyable part of this job is definitely the satisfaction of having helped someone who was in need.
Pros
Helping those in need
Cons
Excessive garbage, sub-par management
Great work environment.
Residential Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCFebruary 1, 2016
This seems to be a bit of a mom and pops operation, a bit behind the times in the way they operate, but a great team and work environment.
Pros
Great team and support
Cons
Small caseload making for long days sometimes.