The Salvation Army Employee Reviews

Good hourly wage with alot of hours
Residential Relief Counselor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON22 February 2017
Working with the clients was abit challenging as you never know what to expect each day. Logging, bathing, and taking care of clients overall health was the basis of this employment.
Pros
employees
Cons
long hours, always on call
Productive fun place to work
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON14 February 2017
I liked volunteering at Salvation Army. Everyone was nice and fun to work with. It was a very good experience. i would go back to working with them in the future.
This is a great organization to work for. . .
Executive Director (Former Employee) –  Brantford ON6 February 2017
The work with this great organization is always challenging and give you a wonderfully sense of being able to help and motivate others in their journey. .
Pros
You have an opportunity to really make a difference
Cons
I really didn't see any.
The boss was running a tight ship but some employees were intolerant and discriminatory towards visible minirities
Shipper and Receiver (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB Empress location3 February 2017
Typical day would consist of intake of donations and sorting through the donations, Work place environment was good with most employees. The hardest part of the job is the maturity level and discrimination that went on. Most enjoyable was the interaction with the customers and the boss, she was a good boss. The GM told me to watch were I stepped when I raised a concern about the dumping of hazardous products from other people. The GM didn't have the safety of the workers in mind.
Pros
Lots of books
Cons
Toxic employees
Fun
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB1 February 2017
I had a fun experience working at the salvation army. It had helped make me feel more mentally stable and secure. and it was worth the experience
good job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  jane and lawrence30 January 2017
i liked the atmosphere the ppl and also enjoyed working there ;;it was a good experience; for me to learn had to clean store before closing and count money and ;;talk to customers.
Pros
the staff
Cons
customers yelling
Daily work
Donor Greeter (Former Employee) –  London, ON28 January 2017
Received donations and assisted customers with donations
Sorted donations based on type: clothing, furniture and cookware
Loaded and unloaded trucks using a pump jack
Cleaned washrooms and swept and mopped store at the end of closing shift
It was alright
Temporary Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON27 January 2017
The head manager at the time wanted to be able to hear you from her office- I don't think shouting on the phone is good for anyone. I learned that a lot of employees there didn't really have relevant jobs.
Pros
I had a job for a week
Nice place to work
Driver/Stockperson (on-call) (Current Employee) –  Woodstock, ON25 January 2017
Nice place to work. Friendly atmosphere. Good people. More people should volunteer here, I learned how important it is to be able to interact with the customer.
great rewarding Job, would recommend anyone to try
store manager (Former Employee) –  Mission, BC22 January 2017
My job at the Salvation Army Thrift Store was very rewarding, challenging, and enjoyable.
Every day was different with the donations that came in and I it was never boring.
I learned a lot about people with working the marginalized and , I this what was so rewarding was to see how you could help in a way that made their day brighter.
Pros
never boring, good benefits.
Cons
it closed down because of bidding wars and competition
Good beginner
Residential Worker (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 January 2017
Good starting job in the social services field. Responsibilities are balanced however long hours and nights are difficult. Rules and regulations are good.
Pros
Balanced responsibilities
Cons
Long hours and nights
Enjoyable place to be
Volunteer - Customer Support (Former Employee) –  Tweed, ON18 January 2017
A typical day would be, greeting customers, organizing the clothes, pricing the clothing and working the cash if needed.
Everything I did there was a new learning experience. It was my first customer service placement. The hardest part of the job was keeping the clothes in the right section as people would move them around. I enjoyed everything about that placement and I enjoyed meeting all sorts of new people.
Pros
Nice co-workers
Cons
i just volunteered there it was fine
Food Bank Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC16 January 2017
i was a volunteer it was fine i learned how to work well with others i had to organize lots of things the most enjoyable part was everyone was very nice to work with
Outstanding global Organization
Graphic Designer (Freelance) (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC15 January 2017
The Salvation Army is an excellent Organization that treats its employees with the utmost highest regard. My job allows lots of creative freedom from the company and provides me a sense of fulfillment to be part of such an outstanding group of people.
Exciting and rewarding job, where we get to help kids with special needs, learn life and social skills.
Respite Care Worker (Current Employee) –  London, ON13 January 2017
This job has its challenges and its rewards, At this job I support kids and adults with behavioural, physical, or special needs. Our program is to provide relief to families for a weekend or week at a time. In a typical day, I administer medications, provide personal care (bathing, changing etc...), as well I take kids out into the community to do lots of different activities. My co-workers are the best in this job its very important to have each others backs, and to work as a team, in order for a shift to go smooth. Some of the challenges of this job are to learn the different techniques, to deal with different behaviours, and to avoid getting into a power struggle. Especially out in public it can be difficult to de-escalate, therefore determining what each kid can handle when planning an outing is very important so we set them up to succeed and not fail. The best part of this job is the kids, this job has taught me to be patient, it has taught me to see how important it is to not judge someone for being different. I have learned to know when some of my non-verbal kids act out, thats their way of telling us something is wrong and they just cant verbally say it. Which is super frustrating for them, so it teaches me to be patient, and to do my best to communicate with them and try to help them through their anxiety in that time. Overall this job has way more rewards then challenges, it continues to shape me into a better person through all the different participants I meet. I think most times I learn more from them, then they do from me.
Pros
Get to take part in all activities with the kids for free (movies, swimming etc...)
Cons
Not stable job, one week can have lots of hours, the next week could have little to none.
Exciting
Organizer (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB7 January 2017
It was an exciting place because you get to meet a lot of new people and hear their stories, and also get to help people in need.
Pros
Met awesome people
Cons
short hours
Cook/Server (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON6 January 2017
It was a good day to volenteer there. Ive learned how to cook and serve.The most hardest part was trying to co-opperate with some different people. But the good part was that you can help out with the homeless and poeple who didn't get to eat
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Chill little summer position!
Summer Student (Former Employee) –  Creston North, NL1 January 2017
Very quiet and serene. Super chill atmosphere just sorting through donations and stocking the shelves. The volunteers you work with are generally pretty cool and will help you create a 'hope chest' for when you move out or get married. It's fun and cool.
Pros
50% off already inexpensive merchandise.
Warm people with good intentions
Clothing Organizer (Former Employee) –  Shawnigan Lake, BC30 December 2016
I volunteered at a Salvation Army thrift store for a year and had a fun time. I sorted clothes and shelved new items. It was nice to spend a few hours every week doing something fairly mindless to relieve stress. In the back room there were three older ladies working who were super sweet and I enjoyed talking to. The only downfall was that I often had allergies due to cat hair or dust on old items that had been donated. I got a 30% staff discount on store items which was also very nice.
productive and busy involving heavy lifting
Cashier and Dock Attendant (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC12 December 2016
A typical day at work would involve assisting opening the store early in the morning where your daily duties would include opening the loading dock, checking the side of the building for new donations and bringing them to the back of the store, using a pallet jack to bring out triplewall corrugated pallet boxes of donations out into the back of the stores sorting station, sweeping the back sorting stations and walkways, assist bringing out the front merchandise to the front of the store, unlocking the side gates, and for the rest of the day removing garbage from the sorters stations, and removing and bringing the sorters newly filled triplewall corrugated pallet boxes full of donations to be sorted. I learned organization skills cooperation skills and time management skills while working at this job, the management was always fair and helpful and includes all of the workers in decisions regarding the store and how to make things run more smoothly, my coworkers were energetic fun people with good humor and strong work ethics. the hardest part of the job would have to be long hours of heavy lifting, difficult weather, and early morning shifts, the most enjoyable part of the job would have to be that with all the heavy lifting you get into shape quickly and the people I worked with were always kind and no matter the day there was always a laugh to be had in regards to some of the random donations that we received.
Pros
entertainment, wages, fair management.
Cons
long hours, heavy lifting, weather.

The Salvation Army Reviews by Location