The Salvation Army Employee Reviews

i like working with seniors
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON2 December 2016
i like this place it was a great feeling to help seniors and help them get out of there rooms at time .it was very different for me to deal with that age group .
Fun to work here.
Cashier / Store Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 December 2016
Accommodating and attending to the needs of customers is my daily tasks as a cashier. It helps me build confidence and motivation to do my job well. It is fun to work here sorting donations and arranging them. My co-workers are friendly.
Amazing workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 December 2016
It's Amazing work place because you get to see the team work that everyone is putting in the work place. Also, the co- workers are very friendly they treat you like a family. And all the money goes to all the charity that the Salvation Army supports.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
ok salary
A Welcoming Experience
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Bowmanville, ON29 November 2016
Each day I worked at the Salvation Army, was aways a new and enjoyable experience. Where I was able to meet new people and try new things. I really enjoyed being around the workers and management, they made me feel apart of the team even though I wasnt going to be there long. Being around them helped when the job got tough like unloading and loading trucks for hours on end.
Please see below
Cashier and Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB23 November 2016
I enjoyed my duration with the Salvation Army, I enjoyed customer service and had the opportunity of working with a dynamic bunch of co workers. I learned a great deal from the Manager . Customer service is my most enjoyable aspect of the job.
Pros
At the time, adaptable working hours to accomondate a working mother.
Cons
I can happy report there were no cons.
handing out food
volunteer (Current Employee) –  Salmon Arm, BC22 November 2016
i enjoy helping others through the salvation army and doing the kettle bell when christmas comes around i have currently signed up to do every friday up untill christmas
Excellent place to work
Cashier/ Production Worker (Former Employee) –  London, ON16 November 2016
Run cash, answer phone, sort product
Excellent multitasking and customer service specialist
Management excellent
Co-workers worked as a team and got along well
The physicality
The guests
Pros
Fun team to work with
Cons
Physicality
a lot of great people
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON14 November 2016
the job in itself was not bad. if you are lazy you get praised if you are a worker you get more work. no chance for advancement unless it's full time and that can take months to years. Management was really bad such as not having a clue nor standing up to employee rights worst of all were all the lies from head office. a lot of co-workers were great but as a worker, you saw that the lazy people got away with it and if you spoke to management they would brush it under the rug. it's an ok job if you're a student or homemaker and you don't want to move up. Always keep an eye on your hours and pay because that gets messed up a lot.
Pros
some of the staff members
Cons
on your feet all day
Not a very good environment
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL13 November 2016
Work morale was low and management was terrible, staff and workers were great, and actual job was fine but a lot was expected for not very good pay. Good job for someone in school but not a good life time job.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Poor Management
Enjoyed the work
Cashier/Clothing Sorter (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC10 November 2016
Working within this job, I truly enjoyed the people and staffing, yet management needed some work. The best part of this job was working for the community.
Good place to work for
Supervisor of Quality Control Department (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON5 November 2016
I liked working for the company. Working at the Salvation Army presented me the opportunity to give back to my community and to truly help those in need.
The salvation Army provided Great Communication and Management Skills.
Manager Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC26 October 2016
This position was very demanding. It combined much multitasking, tolerance of stressful situations, and demanding time restraints.

It taught me to achieve far more than I thought myself capable of. It also gave me great satisfaction in the many ways I could help others in need.
Pros
Very Demanding, Stressful
Cons
Very rewarding, gave me confidence
Rewarding work - Terrible Management
Front Desk Agent (Former Employee) –  Halifax Regional Municipality, NS24 October 2016
The work is rewarding. The clients are awesome. Management terrible, and co workers terrible.
They care more about money than clients. Also staff continuously break rules. They play favorites if you believe in God and attend Chapel.
Pros
Free lunch, awesome clients
Cons
Terrible management, lack of secuirty
rather grim but also nurturing workplace
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC23 October 2016
The hardest part of the job is watching people suffer when you cannot help them. The most enjoyable part of the job is having a client come to tell you that working with you saved their life. Another enjoyable part of the job is feeling like you are connect to the core of the community and having people wave and smile at you wherever you go.
Management can be hard to deal with but co-workers are great and change of shift can be a lot of fun, exchanging information and jokes and trying to give each other strength to deal with foreseen and unforeseen challenges that lie ahead for the next shift. When things go wrong it is the clients who are the first to step in and support and encourage.
Pros
building supportive relationships
Cons
low wages
an ok job
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  London, ON30 September 2016
management was to impatient and not friendly, the staff was under union and seemed unfair to new employees. with time and training much more patients need to train new people.
Great learning experience
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON18 September 2016
One can learn a lot about working at a retail store. Worked at the front stocking shelves and assisting customers, as well as in the back organizing and unloading donations. Cleaning and maintenance was also part of the daily work routine.
Genuinely caring people
Strategy & Change Consultant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 September 2016
The staff and managers are great to work with. The salary levels are low but the flexibility and ability to work from home are great.
great people that I worked with
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC18 September 2016
Opened and closed the cash registers
Daily upkeep of the store
Customer service
Learned to help customers and work with employees in a mmore productive way.
Really got along with the employees there.
Hardest part was the repetitiveness of the physical work.
Interacting with the customers and co workers was enjoyable!
Pros
enjoyed interacting with co workers
Cons
repetitive work
Fun place to work
Cashier/ Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC17 September 2016
Co-wokers I enjoy very much
I enjoy every aspect. The management team is good and I like coming to work. I wish I got paid more but what can you do when the CEO only makes 27,000 a year because we give back to the community.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Minium wage
Camp: A Balance of Life Skills and Workplace fun
Cook's Helper (Former Employee) –  Thorburn, NS1 September 2016
Scotian Glen Camp is the best place to start your working career. This camp that is operated by the Salvation Army is a camp where kids from all over the maritimes enjoy an entire week at camp. I have experience in three different job positions there: Kitchen Support, Cabin Counselor and Cook's Helper. A typical day at work would be long hours, but with the help of my team it was a productive day. It was always fast-paced which I enjoyed. I learned about time management, communication and patience. Most importantly, I learned to enjoy my positions not just for the pay, but for the experiences and fun that it entailed. I found some of the managements I had were tougher than others; however, it was all good learning experiences. Depending on the job, I found at times some of my co-workers would be slacking off and I would have to pull their weight. Other than that, always a great team. The hardest part about my job is when I would have children that would not listen. The best way I responded to that is that I would keep my patience, and find alternative ways to solve the problems. Communication skills played a big role in solving problems at camp. The most enjoyable part of my job is to see how my hard work played a role in the lives of the kids attending the camp.
Pros
Free living, free food, spiritual guidance
Cons
Long hours, stressful