The Salvation Army Employee Reviews in Canada

No benefits
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJuly 23, 2016
Cleaned the store in morning, had great co-workers, worked has a cashier/sales associate, customer service. A good place to work
Pros
Got great stuff donated
Cons
No full time positions
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJuly 20, 2016
Your main job is to short clothes in the front of the store and as well as in the back. I have learned that one needs to be able to get used to being on ones feet for a long time and as well as communicating with the rest of the employees effectively. The management told us what is needed to be done by the end of the day. My co-workers were friendly and helpful individuals. The hardest part of the job was being on my feet for long hours. I really enjoyed working with my co-workers, they were helpful and understanding.
Pros
Breaks are fairly good
Cons
Being on your feet for long hours
Great place to work.
Maintenance Worker (Current Employee) –  Toronto, OntarioJuly 18, 2016
I truly enjoy working at the Salvation Army. My co-workers are like family and helping people to help others recover from their addictions is very rewarding.
Pros
Great place to work.
Cons
Only part-time employment.
great carrer base for people who wish to be in costomer service
Assitant Manager (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCJuly 18, 2016
A day at work is to prepare the daily task ,due to working with donations ,employees ,volunteers and community workers as well as guest\customers.
I have learned to be patient ,working for and being around the less fortunate, i was an auctioneer as well, as many problem solving solver for issues within the store witch as kept me humble/modest
the hardest part of the job was the salary was making 29000/year witch was not sufficient or equivalent to the daily workload on feet 9hours a day ,many lifting of items more than 45lbs,
Most enjoyable part of the job was making a difference in someones filling a new home with furniture ,giving back to the community 93% of profit,helping new immigrants, fire victims, battered woman has really helped me appreciate life
Pros
genuine smiles from guest, great leaders, great benefits, sence of accomplishments
Cons
low salary, high dangerous variable costumer issues
Productive work place
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ONJuly 14, 2016
An excellent place to work. The staff are friendly, and bubbly and willing to help where necessary.
I love working with these people....and would love to work with them again in the future.
Pros
lots of room for advancement
Cons
some long shifts
food bank drop in centre
Food insecurity Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 1, 2016
This is a food bank and community organization agency which feeds the blight of the community and people that are in poverty. Also they help with referrals in other agencies.Such as housing and shelters and transitional housing. or ontario works.
Pros
feed the community
Cons
not open on saturdays.
Pretty Good overall
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Bells Corners, ONJune 30, 2016
Simple work, safe, but some customers can be on the annoying side, other than that can't complain. Learned general people skills as well as organisation.
Pros
Easy work
Cons
Easy work
Good experience
Volunteered at Salvation Army (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 22, 2016
Good experience for me to volunteer and work in salvation army
• Handed out sandwiches to the underprivileged in the Salvation Army shelter
Productive team
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJune 21, 2016
I used to worked full time with Salvation Army before I back to school. I enjoyed my worked as being with the team. I worked with incredible team that was my enjoyable part of my job.
Pros
Good team work
Cons
Some time needed to work in donation alone.
salvation army
Store Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ONJune 21, 2016
working for the salvation army gave me great experience in managing two store locations also it enhanced my customer service experience
Enjoyable staff, great workers and a fun envirorment
Kettle Host (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BCJune 19, 2016
Worked alone, greeted people that donated and passed by. Got to meet a lot of nice people and would differently recommend this job to other people
Pros
Met a lot of people
Productive and Fun
Protection Officer (Former Employee) –  9919 MacDonald AveJune 17, 2016
My experience working with Salvation Army was productive, and enjoyable, grate management in overall, as well as excellent team work with entire co-workers,
Very Fast Paced Job.
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  London, ONJune 16, 2016
Not a job where i can keep up running on my feet as fast as everyone else. so time to move on and find something more suitable, a typical day at work. start off with a huge bag of donated clothes, and sort through dirty smelly and clean clothes. and pick the best Quality Clothing and to be hung and tagged, by 5:15 and you must be able to find at least 2000 pieces a day or more depending on what donations they receive.
Cons
Sore feet and body at the end of the day
Helpful and friendly
Administrative Assistant (co-op) (Current Employee) –  London, ONJune 15, 2016
This was a 2 week co-op position that was at the end of my administration training. The work I did was mainly through the Microsoft Office tools, such as Word, Excel and Publisher.
Volunteer experience
reciever/retail worker (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONJune 15, 2016
Was good to volunteer but wouldnt prefer to work there as a retail worker, would rather work as a shipper/reciever. I learned what to do and what to not do as a retail worker. Co-workers are very nice.
What I enjoyed working for the Salvation Army,
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BCJune 14, 2016
A typical day at work was providing customer services to Salvation Army clientele. I learned how to prioritize and organize using time management; as well as providing Customer Service. Management was good at all areas relating to Salvation Army services offered and treated the employees well. The newer co workers weren't as educated in the Salvation Army Services long term employees but when any question arrived the Salvation Management team had patience in explaining and showing how to do the task at hand. I didn't find difficulties with the job. The most enjoyable part of the job was building friendship as well as providing services to the community.
Pros
Great people and decent pay
Cons
Miscommuncation sometimes.
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NLJune 3, 2016
The salvation army was a great place to be apart of. As i was attending school in September my position was not offered as part time and due to my scheduled not accommodating the work hours required I had no other choice but to resign.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Unsafe donations
Good Place for Volunteering.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 25, 2016
I was a volunteer at the salvation army, it was easy going and fun, the people there were very warm and kindhearted people as well as very welcoming.
Clean environment, productive workplace
Shelf Stocker, Sales assistant, customer service (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ONMay 21, 2016
The workplace is filled with friendly coworkers and supervisors to be around. The changing atmosphere of the workplace always provided an interesting and enjoyable experience.
Pros
long beraks
Great Coworkers
Health Cake Worker (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMay 16, 2016
Although the days are long, it goes by great. I have had the pleasure of having the best coworkers I could ever ask for. Management is supportive.

The Salvation Army Reviews by Location