The Salvation Army Employee Reviews

The boss was running a tight ship but some employees were intolerant and discriminatory towards visible minirities
Shipper and Receiver (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB Empress location3 February 2017
Typical day would consist of intake of donations and sorting through the donations, Work place environment was good with most employees. The hardest part of the job is the maturity level and discrimination that went on. Most enjoyable was the interaction with the customers and the boss, she was a good boss. The GM told me to watch were I stepped when I raised a concern about the dumping of hazardous products from other people. The GM didn't have the safety of the workers in mind.
Pros
Lots of books
Cons
Toxic employees
Enjoyable place to be
Volunteer - Customer Support (Former Employee) –  Tweed, ON18 January 2017
A typical day would be, greeting customers, organizing the clothes, pricing the clothing and working the cash if needed.
Everything I did there was a new learning experience. It was my first customer service placement. The hardest part of the job was keeping the clothes in the right section as people would move them around. I enjoyed everything about that placement and I enjoyed meeting all sorts of new people.
Pros
Nice co-workers
Cons
great rewarding Job, would recommend anyone to try
store manager (Former Employee) –  Mission, BC22 January 2017
My job at the Salvation Army Thrift Store was very rewarding, challenging, and enjoyable.
Every day was different with the donations that came in and I it was never boring.
I learned a lot about people with working the marginalized and , I this what was so rewarding was to see how you could help in a way that made their day brighter.
Pros
never boring, good benefits.
Cons
it closed down because of bidding wars and competition
Warm people with good intentions
Clothing Organizer (Former Employee) –  Shawnigan Lake, BC30 December 2016
I volunteered at a Salvation Army thrift store for a year and had a fun time. I sorted clothes and shelved new items. It was nice to spend a few hours every week doing something fairly mindless to relieve stress. In the back room there were three older ladies working who were super sweet and I enjoyed talking to. The only downfall was that I often had allergies due to cat hair or dust on old items that had been donated. I got a 30% staff discount on store items which was also very nice.
a lot of great people
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON14 November 2016
the job in itself was not bad. if you are lazy you get praised if you are a worker you get more work. no chance for advancement unless it's full time and that can take months to years. Management was really bad such as not having a clue nor standing up to employee rights worst of all were all the lies from head office. a lot of co-workers were great but as a worker, you saw that the lazy people got away with it and if you spoke to management they would brush it under the rug. it's an ok job if you're a student or homemaker and you don't want to move up. Always keep an eye on your hours and pay because that gets messed up a lot.
Pros
some of the staff members
Cons
on your feet all day
good atmosphere
Cashier/Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Dawson Creek, BC10 December 2016
Sorting donations that come in. then running cash and then into pricing or hanging area.
What I learned is it's never the same thing twice. You never know what some people will donate.
The people that volunteer and work there are all good people. We all get along. it's a happy atmosphere.
Some of the things people donate.
Seeing old faces that I recognize
Pros
free water and some food
A Welcoming Experience
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Bowmanville, ON29 November 2016
Each day I worked at the Salvation Army, was aways a new and enjoyable experience. Where I was able to meet new people and try new things. I really enjoyed being around the workers and management, they made me feel apart of the team even though I wasnt going to be there long. Being around them helped when the job got tough like unloading and loading trucks for hours on end.
Please see below
Cashier and Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB23 November 2016
I enjoyed my duration with the Salvation Army, I enjoyed customer service and had the opportunity of working with a dynamic bunch of co workers. I learned a great deal from the Manager . Customer service is my most enjoyable aspect of the job.
Pros
At the time, adaptable working hours to accomondate a working mother.
Cons
I can happy report there were no cons.
The salvation Army provided Great Communication and Management Skills.
Manager Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC26 October 2016
This position was very demanding. It combined much multitasking, tolerance of stressful situations, and demanding time restraints.

It taught me to achieve far more than I thought myself capable of. It also gave me great satisfaction in the many ways I could help others in need.
Pros
Very Demanding, Stressful
Cons
Very rewarding, gave me confidence
rather grim but also nurturing workplace
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC23 October 2016
The hardest part of the job is watching people suffer when you cannot help them. The most enjoyable part of the job is having a client come to tell you that working with you saved their life. Another enjoyable part of the job is feeling like you are connect to the core of the community and having people wave and smile at you wherever you go.
Management can be hard to deal with but co-workers are great and change of shift can be a lot of fun, exchanging information and jokes and trying to give each other strength to deal with foreseen and unforeseen challenges that lie ahead for the next shift. When things go wrong it is the clients who are the first to step in and support and encourage.
Pros
building supportive relationships
Cons
low wages
Chill little summer position!
Summer Student (Former Employee) –  Creston North, NL1 January 2017
Very quiet and serene. Super chill atmosphere just sorting through donations and stocking the shelves. The volunteers you work with are generally pretty cool and will help you create a 'hope chest' for when you move out or get married. It's fun and cool.
Pros
50% off already inexpensive merchandise.
Outstanding global Organization
Graphic Designer (Freelance) (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC15 January 2017
The Salvation Army is an excellent Organization that treats its employees with the utmost highest regard. My job allows lots of creative freedom from the company and provides me a sense of fulfillment to be part of such an outstanding group of people.
great people that I worked with
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC18 September 2016
Opened and closed the cash registers
Daily upkeep of the store
Customer service
Learned to help customers and work with employees in a mmore productive way.
Really got along with the employees there.
Hardest part was the repetitiveness of the physical work.
Interacting with the customers and co workers was enjoyable!
Pros
enjoyed interacting with co workers
Cons
repetitive work
Rewarding work - Terrible Management
Front Desk Agent (Former Employee) –  Halifax Regional Municipality, NS24 October 2016
The work is rewarding. The clients are awesome. Management terrible, and co workers terrible.
They care more about money than clients. Also staff continuously break rules. They play favorites if you believe in God and attend Chapel.
Pros
Free lunch, awesome clients
Cons
Terrible management, lack of secuirty
This is a great organization to work for. . .
Executive Director (Former Employee) –  Brantford ON6 February 2017
The work with this great organization is always challenging and give you a wonderfully sense of being able to help and motivate others in their journey. .
Pros
You have an opportunity to really make a difference
Cons
I really didn't see any.
Good hourly wage with alot of hours
Residential Relief Counselor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON22 February 2017
Working with the clients was abit challenging as you never know what to expect each day. Logging, bathing, and taking care of clients overall health was the basis of this employment.
Pros
employees
Cons
long hours, always on call
Amazing workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 December 2016
It's Amazing work place because you get to see the team work that everyone is putting in the work place. Also, the co- workers are very friendly they treat you like a family. And all the money goes to all the charity that the Salvation Army supports.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
ok salary
Cook/Server (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON6 January 2017
It was a good day to volenteer there. Ive learned how to cook and serve.The most hardest part was trying to co-opperate with some different people. But the good part was that you can help out with the homeless and poeple who didn't get to eat
Pros
Free lunches
Daily work
Donor Greeter (Former Employee) –  London, ON28 January 2017
Received donations and assisted customers with donations
Sorted donations based on type: clothing, furniture and cookware
Loaded and unloaded trucks using a pump jack
Cleaned washrooms and swept and mopped store at the end of closing shift
It was alright
Temporary Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON27 January 2017
The head manager at the time wanted to be able to hear you from her office- I don't think shouting on the phone is good for anyone. I learned that a lot of employees there didn't really have relevant jobs.
Pros
I had a job for a week

The Salvation Army Reviews by Location