The Salvation Army

The Salvation Army Employee Reviews

a lot of great people
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON14 November 2016
the job in itself was not bad. if you are lazy you get praised if you are a worker you get more work. no chance for advancement unless it's full time and that can take months to years. Management was really bad such as not having a clue nor standing up to employee rights worst of all were all the lies from head office. a lot of co-workers were great but as a worker, you saw that the lazy people got away with it and if you spoke to management they would brush it under the rug. it's an ok job if you're a student or homemaker and you don't want to move up. Always keep an eye on your hours and pay because that gets messed up a lot.
Pros
some of the staff members
Cons
on your feet all day
rather grim but also nurturing workplace
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC23 October 2016
The hardest part of the job is watching people suffer when you cannot help them. The most enjoyable part of the job is having a client come to tell you that working with you saved their life. Another enjoyable part of the job is feeling like you are connect to the core of the community and having people wave and smile at you wherever you go.
Management can be hard to deal with but co-workers are great and change of shift can be a lot of fun, exchanging information and jokes and trying to give each other strength to deal with foreseen and unforeseen challenges that lie ahead for the next shift. When things go wrong it is the clients who are the first to step in and support and encourage.
Pros
building supportive relationships
Cons
low wages
The salvation Army provided Great Communication and Management Skills.
Manager Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC26 October 2016
This position was very demanding. It combined much multitasking, tolerance of stressful situations, and demanding time restraints.

It taught me to achieve far more than I thought myself capable of. It also gave me great satisfaction in the many ways I could help others in need.
Pros
Very Demanding, Stressful
Cons
Very rewarding, gave me confidence
Please see below
Cashier and Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB23 November 2016
I enjoyed my duration with the Salvation Army, I enjoyed customer service and had the opportunity of working with a dynamic bunch of co workers. I learned a great deal from the Manager . Customer service is my most enjoyable aspect of the job.
Pros
At the time, adaptable working hours to accomondate a working mother.
Cons
I can happy report there were no cons.
A Welcoming Experience
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Bowmanville, ON29 November 2016
Each day I worked at the Salvation Army, was aways a new and enjoyable experience. Where I was able to meet new people and try new things. I really enjoyed being around the workers and management, they made me feel apart of the team even though I wasnt going to be there long. Being around them helped when the job got tough like unloading and loading trucks for hours on end.
great people that I worked with
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC18 September 2016
Opened and closed the cash registers
Daily upkeep of the store
Customer service
Learned to help customers and work with employees in a mmore productive way.
Really got along with the employees there.
Hardest part was the repetitiveness of the physical work.
Interacting with the customers and co workers was enjoyable!
Pros
enjoyed interacting with co workers
Cons
repetitive work
Rewarding work - Terrible Management
Front Desk Agent (Former Employee) –  Halifax Regional Municipality, NS24 October 2016
The work is rewarding. The clients are awesome. Management terrible, and co workers terrible.
They care more about money than clients. Also staff continuously break rules. They play favorites if you believe in God and attend Chapel.
Pros
Free lunch, awesome clients
Cons
Terrible management, lack of secuirty
productive and fun experience helping the community and church group.
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  London, ON24 July 2016
I mostly have experience providing volunteer service to the community. I was always on the go for helping people with questions and helping them figure out what they had to do. I learned to communicate efficiently with basically customers of all ages and my co-workers as well. I also learned to work in a fast paced environment where there was always someone in need of what I could offer. I easily adapt to a new environment with new people and always try to work the best of me at all times. I always enjoyed working with people and proving my service to customers.
Pros
had fun helping and communicating with others
Cons
no salary
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON20 July 2016
Your main job is to short clothes in the front of the store and as well as in the back. I have learned that one needs to be able to get used to being on ones feet for a long time and as well as communicating with the rest of the employees effectively. The management told us what is needed to be done by the end of the day. My co-workers were friendly and helpful individuals. The hardest part of the job was being on my feet for long hours. I really enjoyed working with my co-workers, they were helpful and understanding.
Pros
Breaks are fairly good
Cons
Being on your feet for long hours
Amazing workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 December 2016
It's Amazing work place because you get to see the team work that everyone is putting in the work place. Also, the co- workers are very friendly they treat you like a family. And all the money goes to all the charity that the Salvation Army supports.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
ok salary
Very Fast Paced Job.
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  London, ON16 June 2016
Not a job where i can keep up running on my feet as fast as everyone else. so time to move on and find something more suitable, a typical day at work. start off with a huge bag of donated clothes, and sort through dirty smelly and clean clothes. and pick the best Quality Clothing and to be hung and tagged, by 5:15 and you must be able to find at least 2000 pieces a day or more depending on what donations they receive.
Cons
Sore feet and body at the end of the day
Not a very good environment
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL13 November 2016
Work morale was low and management was terrible, staff and workers were great, and actual job was fine but a lot was expected for not very good pay. Good job for someone in school but not a good life time job.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Poor Management
What I enjoyed working for the Salvation Army,
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BC14 June 2016
A typical day at work was providing customer services to Salvation Army clientele. I learned how to prioritize and organize using time management; as well as providing Customer Service. Management was good at all areas relating to Salvation Army services offered and treated the employees well. The newer co workers weren't as educated in the Salvation Army Services long term employees but when any question arrived the Salvation Management team had patience in explaining and showing how to do the task at hand. I didn't find difficulties with the job. The most enjoyable part of the job was building friendship as well as providing services to the community.
Pros
Great people and decent pay
Cons
Miscommuncation sometimes.
Collecting donations for a good cause.
Kettle Attendant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON1 September 2016
My job as a kettle attendant involved manning the Salvation Army where people made donations. I also had to incentive people to donate money to a worthy cause - by explaining how the Salvation Army in Ottawa helps the homeless and disenfranchised.
Excellent place to work
Cashier/ Production Worker (Former Employee) –  London, ON16 November 2016
Run cash, answer phone, sort product
Excellent multitasking and customer service specialist
Management excellent
Co-workers worked as a team and got along well
The physicality
The guests
Pros
Fun team to work with
Cons
Physicality
Fun to work here.
Cashier / Store Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 December 2016
Accommodating and attending to the needs of customers is my daily tasks as a cashier. It helps me build confidence and motivation to do my job well. It is fun to work here sorting donations and arranging them. My co-workers are friendly.
Fun workplace with amazing people!
Donation attendent (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON22 August 2016
This job has its ups and downs just like any other job. They don't pay the greatest but the people are the ones who are down to earth. Over all the work environment with great and everyone is treated the same!
Pros
Great people and okay shifts!
Cons
Long hours!
Fun place to work
Cashier/ Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC17 September 2016
Co-wokers I enjoy very much
I enjoy every aspect. The management team is good and I like coming to work. I wish I got paid more but what can you do when the CEO only makes 27,000 a year because we give back to the community.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Minium wage
Great learning experience
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON18 September 2016
One can learn a lot about working at a retail store. Worked at the front stocking shelves and assisting customers, as well as in the back organizing and unloading donations. Cleaning and maintenance was also part of the daily work routine.
food bank drop in centre
Food insecurity Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 July 2016
This is a food bank and community organization agency which feeds the blight of the community and people that are in poverty. Also they help with referrals in other agencies.Such as housing and shelters and transitional housing. or ontario works.
Pros
feed the community
Cons
not open on saturdays.