The Salvation Army Employee Reviews in Canada

Difficult but rewarding
Hostel & Front Desk worker (Former Employee) –  LondonMarch 23, 2016
Co-workers are incredible for the most part, built a solid relationship with most of them. Very team-oriented environment.
Management seems to be a little out of the loop with what it is like to actually work the floors which results in some less than helpful advice from them.
Can be a little dangerous and difficult at times but overall rewarding.
Pros
Cheap lunches/dinners, team environment
Cons
Long hours, emotionally and mentally draining
Driver (Former Employee) –  Courtenay, BCMarch 15, 2016
Love the people you work with.
You make a difference in the community you work in.
Lots of room for advancement.
Great benefits.
Dynamic, Fluctuating Workplace
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  Courtenay, BCFebruary 4, 2016
A typical day involves the receiving, sorting, and pricing of donations which can range from clothes, books and housewares, to furniture, mattresses, and dressers.
The rate at which you work fluctuates often as it is almost entirely dependent on the amount of donations that are being received and the rate at which items are being sold. This requires a lot of adaptability and thinking on your toes, which may work for some, but not for others.
The hardest part of this job is having to sort through all the garbage and useless junk that often comes with donations.
The most enjoyable part of this job is definitely the satisfaction of having helped someone who was in need.
Pros
Helping those in need
Cons
Excessive garbage, sub-par management
Bad management, good benefits
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCNovember 18, 2015
I worked at Salvation Army for 2 years. The management was not the best but they did give good benefits. We had to go through raw donations and some of the things we came across were disgusting and half the time they didn't have gloves for us to wear. I even had to pick up a needle that someone had left outside of our store. Obviously I had put gloves on for this, I actually put on about three different pairs.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Bad management
A fun workplace with a lot of variety.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMarch 23, 2016
Salvation Army was one of the best workplaces I had worked for.
Even though it was only a summer job, I had enjoyed learning in practice about accounting, saw for the first time a balanced sheet,
took part in the staff meeting and enjoyed my co-workers jokes.
Both management and staff were very inclusive of me, and also very helpful professionally.
Great Place to Volunteer
Volunteer Clothing Racker (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONMarch 27, 2016
- Go into Salvation Army Thrift Store
- I learned how to be patient with customers
- The Management team was amazing
- Co-Workers were also great
- There was no hard part
- The most enjoyable part of volunteering was helping out and making the customers feel good about themselves
Pros
Great Staff
What I enjoyed working for the Salvation Army,
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BCJune 14, 2016
A typical day at work was providing customer services to Salvation Army clientele. I learned how to prioritize and organize using time management; as well as providing Customer Service. Management was good at all areas relating to Salvation Army services offered and treated the employees well. The newer co workers weren't as educated in the Salvation Army Services long term employees but when any question arrived the Salvation Management team had patience in explaining and showing how to do the task at hand. I didn't find difficulties with the job. The most enjoyable part of the job was building friendship as well as providing services to the community.
Pros
Great people and decent pay
Cons
Miscommuncation sometimes.
Friendly and Enjoyable Environment
SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMay 5, 2016
My typical day at work includes a short meeting at the beginning of my shift. This meeting usually discusses our daily budget, monthly quota, any health and safety concerns, and the assignment of positions and tasks for each individual. I would have to say working at the Salvation Army has taught me primarily how to properly handle an uncomfortable or stressful situation, both with co-workers and guests. The hardest part of this job is making the most with the resources that are given as Salvation Army is an organization, which has its limitations. The most rewarding part of the job is seeing the positive impact we make on our community and families!
Pros
The diversity of my co-workers and guests.
Cons
Travel distance and time.
Easy place to work hard.
Anchorage Addictions Counselor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 14, 2016
A typical work day started at 08:00 and completed at 16:00. A lot of the skills I learned in the network administrator course were reinforced through the problem diagnostic and problem resolution process. I learned a lot about BlackBerry's and their use in government. Keeping track of the various problems and resolution is important since these problems repeat themselves. Remaining approachable with my coworkers is very important in keeping a positive team effort. The hardest part of the job was learning the proprietary government software. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people I worked with, they are very professional and genuinely good people. It was easy to work hard in that environment.
Pros
The people I worked with.
Cons
Only three month term contracts.
Great place to work and experience such diversity.
Intake & Assessment Worker (part-time) (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJanuary 12, 2016
A constant change in atmospheres due to such challenging situations. Very supportive environment with co-workers and Management. Hardest part of the job is seeing clients unfortunate situations. Most enjoyable part of my job is being able to help and return smiles to my clients faces.
A Good Work Experience
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONApril 26, 2016
Overall, my experience with volunteering at the Salvation Army was a positive one; I learned how to efficiently fold and hang up clothing in a presentable manner. The store was managed very well and all information regarding my tasks was relayed to me clearly. As my experience at the Salvation Army was volunteer work, co-workers were inconsistent, however everyone seemed to be in good spirits and I got along with everyone with no issues. The hardest part of the job was having to remain on my feet for hours at a time, however, I quickly adjusted and managed well. Overall, volunteering was great practice for a potential retail position in the future.
Fast paced, friendly environment with everyday opportunites to learn something new.
Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBFebruary 9, 2016
There is no such thing as a typical day of work at the Salvation Army. Some days you spend your whole day on the till and assisting customers. Others you would be running around taking donations, and insuring the store remained in good condition. I am thankful for the opportunity to work here as i got to learn may things about all the different products that have come to us in donations. My co-works were friendly and always ready to lend a hand for those in need. Sometimes it became difficult to keep up with the large volumes of the customers but ironically it also became one of my favorite parts of the job.Above all else there was a real satisfaction in giving back to you community,
clean work space
FRONTLINE SUPPORT STAFF (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, ONMarch 26, 2016
very nice new building, great place to start your social work career. good staff and a great daily plan for clients to get back on there feet and start a new.
very human experiences every day
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Chilliwack. b.c.February 12, 2016
serving breakfast and chatting with clientele
discussing possibilities and days events with clientele
problem solving, finding answers, defusing frustration from escalating
verbalizing options of clients and finding avenues for them to follow.
filing, telephone calls, data entry,
interviewing and assessing situations and conditions of people in the moment
calling appropriate agencies, looking up on line for information
in-taking whilst being unprejudiced, non- judgmental or indifferent
showing a compassionate and empathetic attitude, both with body language and voice tones
ensuring safety and cleanliness was upheld, both by staff as well as clientele
being honest and straightforward
Pros
enjoyed the daily challanges, with working amoungst the homeless
Cons
found that after almost 6 years, i was becoming detached and a bit sceptic of others...
Intensive work environment
Residential Worker (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONFebruary 17, 2016
on the midnight shift I took part in file managemnent, as well as doing house checks and maintaning log books. I enjoyed connecting with clients and helping them complete there goals set out in there case management plans.
great organization to work for.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBFebruary 12, 2016
managed store and employees. Handled organizing of volunteers. Managed area promotions,public relations and quarterly inventories.worked for blue bag it to organize donations.
Pros
helping people in need.
very satisfying
Officer (Former Employee) –  different placesSeptember 25, 2015
Working with The Salvation Army, I could not even explain how a typical day would be, because every day was different.. from being in charge for office work, to youth programs, seniors groups, sunday preparation, organizing events.. very busy, but very rewarding
Pros
great benefits
Very Fast Paced Job.
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  London, ONJune 16, 2016
Not a job where i can keep up running on my feet as fast as everyone else. so time to move on and find something more suitable, a typical day at work. start off with a huge bag of donated clothes, and sort through dirty smelly and clean clothes. and pick the best Quality Clothing and to be hung and tagged, by 5:15 and you must be able to find at least 2000 pieces a day or more depending on what donations they receive.
Cons
Sore feet and body at the end of the day
Challenging, Christian, Child Care Environment
In Cabin Counselor (Former Employee) –  Gibsons, BCOctober 5, 2015
Dynamic atmosphere while working with young kids, yet constant in the practice of procedure. Compensation is too little for such long in-cabin hours.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Long Hours
Fun work place
Store Associate/Floater (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 2, 2016
Salvation Army was a place that i loved to work at. The pay wasn't the best, but the people that i worked with i wouldn't forget.
i learned that sometimes money isn't what you want when you can work with awesome people and make the day go by faster
Pros
Understanding management.
Cons
Drama