The Salvation Army

The Salvation Army Employee Reviews

Warm people with good intentions
Clothing Organizer (Former Employee) –  Shawnigan Lake, BC30 December 2016
I volunteered at a Salvation Army thrift store for a year and had a fun time. I sorted clothes and shelved new items. It was nice to spend a few hours every week doing something fairly mindless to relieve stress. In the back room there were three older ladies working who were super sweet and I enjoyed talking to. The only downfall was that I often had allergies due to cat hair or dust on old items that had been donated. I got a 30% staff discount on store items which was also very nice.
Enjoyable place to be
Volunteer - Customer Support (Former Employee) –  Tweed, ON18 January 2017
A typical day would be, greeting customers, organizing the clothes, pricing the clothing and working the cash if needed.
Everything I did there was a new learning experience. It was my first customer service placement. The hardest part of the job was keeping the clothes in the right section as people would move them around. I enjoyed everything about that placement and I enjoyed meeting all sorts of new people.
Pros
Nice co-workers
a lot of great people
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON14 November 2016
the job in itself was not bad. if you are lazy you get praised if you are a worker you get more work. no chance for advancement unless it's full time and that can take months to years. Management was really bad such as not having a clue nor standing up to employee rights worst of all were all the lies from head office. a lot of co-workers were great but as a worker, you saw that the lazy people got away with it and if you spoke to management they would brush it under the rug. it's an ok job if you're a student or homemaker and you don't want to move up. Always keep an eye on your hours and pay because that gets messed up a lot.
Pros
some of the staff members
Cons
on your feet all day
good atmosphere
Cashier/Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Dawson Creek, BC10 December 2016
Sorting donations that come in. then running cash and then into pricing or hanging area.
What I learned is it's never the same thing twice. You never know what some people will donate.
The people that volunteer and work there are all good people. We all get along. it's a happy atmosphere.
Some of the things people donate.
Seeing old faces that I recognize
Pros
free water and some food
Please see below
Cashier and Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB23 November 2016
I enjoyed my duration with the Salvation Army, I enjoyed customer service and had the opportunity of working with a dynamic bunch of co workers. I learned a great deal from the Manager . Customer service is my most enjoyable aspect of the job.
Pros
At the time, adaptable working hours to accomondate a working mother.
Cons
I can happy report there were no cons.
rather grim but also nurturing workplace
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC23 October 2016
The hardest part of the job is watching people suffer when you cannot help them. The most enjoyable part of the job is having a client come to tell you that working with you saved their life. Another enjoyable part of the job is feeling like you are connect to the core of the community and having people wave and smile at you wherever you go.
Management can be hard to deal with but co-workers are great and change of shift can be a lot of fun, exchanging information and jokes and trying to give each other strength to deal with foreseen and unforeseen challenges that lie ahead for the next shift. When things go wrong it is the clients who are the first to step in and support and encourage.
Pros
building supportive relationships
Cons
low wages
A Welcoming Experience
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Bowmanville, ON29 November 2016
Each day I worked at the Salvation Army, was aways a new and enjoyable experience. Where I was able to meet new people and try new things. I really enjoyed being around the workers and management, they made me feel apart of the team even though I wasnt going to be there long. Being around them helped when the job got tough like unloading and loading trucks for hours on end.
The salvation Army provided Great Communication and Management Skills.
Manager Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC26 October 2016
This position was very demanding. It combined much multitasking, tolerance of stressful situations, and demanding time restraints.

It taught me to achieve far more than I thought myself capable of. It also gave me great satisfaction in the many ways I could help others in need.
Pros
Very Demanding, Stressful
Cons
Very rewarding, gave me confidence
great people that I worked with
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC18 September 2016
Opened and closed the cash registers
Daily upkeep of the store
Customer service
Learned to help customers and work with employees in a mmore productive way.
Really got along with the employees there.
Hardest part was the repetitiveness of the physical work.
Interacting with the customers and co workers was enjoyable!
Pros
enjoyed interacting with co workers
Cons
repetitive work
Chill little summer position!
Summer Student (Former Employee) –  Creston North, NL1 January 2017
Very quiet and serene. Super chill atmosphere just sorting through donations and stocking the shelves. The volunteers you work with are generally pretty cool and will help you create a 'hope chest' for when you move out or get married. It's fun and cool.
Pros
50% off already inexpensive merchandise.
Rewarding work - Terrible Management
Front Desk Agent (Former Employee) –  Halifax Regional Municipality, NS24 October 2016
The work is rewarding. The clients are awesome. Management terrible, and co workers terrible.
They care more about money than clients. Also staff continuously break rules. They play favorites if you believe in God and attend Chapel.
Pros
Free lunch, awesome clients
Cons
Terrible management, lack of secuirty
Outstanding global Organization
Graphic Designer (Freelance) (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC15 January 2017
The Salvation Army is an excellent Organization that treats its employees with the utmost highest regard. My job allows lots of creative freedom from the company and provides me a sense of fulfillment to be part of such an outstanding group of people.
Amazing workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 December 2016
It's Amazing work place because you get to see the team work that everyone is putting in the work place. Also, the co- workers are very friendly they treat you like a family. And all the money goes to all the charity that the Salvation Army supports.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
ok salary
productive and fun experience helping the community and church group.
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  London, ON24 July 2016
I mostly have experience providing volunteer service to the community. I was always on the go for helping people with questions and helping them figure out what they had to do. I learned to communicate efficiently with basically customers of all ages and my co-workers as well. I also learned to work in a fast paced environment where there was always someone in need of what I could offer. I easily adapt to a new environment with new people and always try to work the best of me at all times. I always enjoyed working with people and proving my service to customers.
Pros
had fun helping and communicating with others
Cons
no salary
Cook/Server (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON6 January 2017
It was a good day to volenteer there. Ive learned how to cook and serve.The most hardest part was trying to co-opperate with some different people. But the good part was that you can help out with the homeless and poeple who didn't get to eat
Pros
Free lunches
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON20 July 2016
Your main job is to short clothes in the front of the store and as well as in the back. I have learned that one needs to be able to get used to being on ones feet for a long time and as well as communicating with the rest of the employees effectively. The management told us what is needed to be done by the end of the day. My co-workers were friendly and helpful individuals. The hardest part of the job was being on my feet for long hours. I really enjoyed working with my co-workers, they were helpful and understanding.
Pros
Breaks are fairly good
Cons
Being on your feet for long hours
Not a very good environment
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL13 November 2016
Work morale was low and management was terrible, staff and workers were great, and actual job was fine but a lot was expected for not very good pay. Good job for someone in school but not a good life time job.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Poor Management
Excellent place to work
Cashier/ Production Worker (Former Employee) –  London, ON16 November 2016
Run cash, answer phone, sort product
Excellent multitasking and customer service specialist
Management excellent
Co-workers worked as a team and got along well
The physicality
The guests
Pros
Fun team to work with
Cons
Physicality
Fun to work here.
Cashier / Store Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 December 2016
Accommodating and attending to the needs of customers is my daily tasks as a cashier. It helps me build confidence and motivation to do my job well. It is fun to work here sorting donations and arranging them. My co-workers are friendly.
Collecting donations for a good cause.
Kettle Attendant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON1 September 2016
My job as a kettle attendant involved manning the Salvation Army where people made donations. I also had to incentive people to donate money to a worthy cause - by explaining how the Salvation Army in Ottawa helps the homeless and disenfranchised.

The Salvation Army Reviews by Location