The Salvation Army Employee Reviews

Driver (Former Employee) –  Courtenay, BCMarch 15, 2016
Love the people you work with.
You make a difference in the community you work in.
Lots of room for advancement.
Great benefits.
Bad management, good benefits
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCNovember 18, 2015
I worked at Salvation Army for 2 years. The management was not the best but they did give good benefits. We had to go through raw donations and some of the things we came across were disgusting and half the time they didn't have gloves for us to wear. I even had to pick up a needle that someone had left outside of our store. Obviously I had put gloves on for this, I actually put on about three different pairs.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Bad management
Difficult but rewarding
Hostel & Front Desk worker (Former Employee) –  LondonMarch 23, 2016
Co-workers are incredible for the most part, built a solid relationship with most of them. Very team-oriented environment.
Management seems to be a little out of the loop with what it is like to actually work the floors which results in some less than helpful advice from them.
Can be a little dangerous and difficult at times but overall rewarding.
Pros
Cheap lunches/dinners, team environment
Cons
Long hours, emotionally and mentally draining
great carrer base for people who wish to be in costomer service
Assitant Manager (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCJuly 18, 2016
A day at work is to prepare the daily task ,due to working with donations ,employees ,volunteers and community workers as well as guest\customers.
I have learned to be patient ,working for and being around the less fortunate, i was an auctioneer as well, as many problem solving solver for issues within the store witch as kept me humble/modest
the hardest part of the job was the salary was making 29000/year witch was not sufficient or equivalent to the daily workload on feet 9hours a day ,many lifting of items more than 45lbs,
Most enjoyable part of the job was making a difference in someones filling a new home with furniture ,giving back to the community 93% of profit,helping new immigrants, fire victims, battered woman has really helped me appreciate life
Pros
genuine smiles from guest, great leaders, great benefits, sence of accomplishments
Cons
low salary, high dangerous variable costumer issues
productive and fun experience helping the community and church group.
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  London, ONJuly 24, 2016
I mostly have experience providing volunteer service to the community. I was always on the go for helping people with questions and helping them figure out what they had to do. I learned to communicate efficiently with basically customers of all ages and my co-workers as well. I also learned to work in a fast paced environment where there was always someone in need of what I could offer. I easily adapt to a new environment with new people and always try to work the best of me at all times. I always enjoyed working with people and proving my service to customers.
Pros
had fun helping and communicating with others
Cons
no salary
What I enjoyed working for the Salvation Army,
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BCJune 14, 2016
A typical day at work was providing customer services to Salvation Army clientele. I learned how to prioritize and organize using time management; as well as providing Customer Service. Management was good at all areas relating to Salvation Army services offered and treated the employees well. The newer co workers weren't as educated in the Salvation Army Services long term employees but when any question arrived the Salvation Management team had patience in explaining and showing how to do the task at hand. I didn't find difficulties with the job. The most enjoyable part of the job was building friendship as well as providing services to the community.
Pros
Great people and decent pay
Cons
Miscommuncation sometimes.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJuly 20, 2016
Your main job is to short clothes in the front of the store and as well as in the back. I have learned that one needs to be able to get used to being on ones feet for a long time and as well as communicating with the rest of the employees effectively. The management told us what is needed to be done by the end of the day. My co-workers were friendly and helpful individuals. The hardest part of the job was being on my feet for long hours. I really enjoyed working with my co-workers, they were helpful and understanding.
Pros
Breaks are fairly good
Cons
Being on your feet for long hours
Friendly and Enjoyable Environment
SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMay 5, 2016
My typical day at work includes a short meeting at the beginning of my shift. This meeting usually discusses our daily budget, monthly quota, any health and safety concerns, and the assignment of positions and tasks for each individual. I would have to say working at the Salvation Army has taught me primarily how to properly handle an uncomfortable or stressful situation, both with co-workers and guests. The hardest part of this job is making the most with the resources that are given as Salvation Army is an organization, which has its limitations. The most rewarding part of the job is seeing the positive impact we make on our community and families!
Pros
The diversity of my co-workers and guests.
Cons
Travel distance and time.
Easy place to work hard.
Anchorage Addictions Counselor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 14, 2016
A typical work day started at 08:00 and completed at 16:00. A lot of the skills I learned in the network administrator course were reinforced through the problem diagnostic and problem resolution process. I learned a lot about BlackBerry's and their use in government. Keeping track of the various problems and resolution is important since these problems repeat themselves. Remaining approachable with my coworkers is very important in keeping a positive team effort. The hardest part of the job was learning the proprietary government software. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people I worked with, they are very professional and genuinely good people. It was easy to work hard in that environment.
Pros
The people I worked with.
Cons
Only three month term contracts.
A Good Work Experience
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONApril 26, 2016
Overall, my experience with volunteering at the Salvation Army was a positive one; I learned how to efficiently fold and hang up clothing in a presentable manner. The store was managed very well and all information regarding my tasks was relayed to me clearly. As my experience at the Salvation Army was volunteer work, co-workers were inconsistent, however everyone seemed to be in good spirits and I got along with everyone with no issues. The hardest part of the job was having to remain on my feet for hours at a time, however, I quickly adjusted and managed well. Overall, volunteering was great practice for a potential retail position in the future.
very satisfying
Officer (Former Employee) –  different placesSeptember 25, 2015
Working with The Salvation Army, I could not even explain how a typical day would be, because every day was different.. from being in charge for office work, to youth programs, seniors groups, sunday preparation, organizing events.. very busy, but very rewarding
Pros
great benefits
Dynamic, Fluctuating Workplace
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  Courtenay, BCFebruary 4, 2016
A typical day involves the receiving, sorting, and pricing of donations which can range from clothes, books and housewares, to furniture, mattresses, and dressers.
The rate at which you work fluctuates often as it is almost entirely dependent on the amount of donations that are being received and the rate at which items are being sold. This requires a lot of adaptability and thinking on your toes, which may work for some, but not for others.
The hardest part of this job is having to sort through all the garbage and useless junk that often comes with donations.
The most enjoyable part of this job is definitely the satisfaction of having helped someone who was in need.
Pros
Helping those in need
Cons
Excessive garbage, sub-par management
Challenging, Christian, Child Care Environment
In Cabin Counselor (Former Employee) –  Gibsons, BCOctober 5, 2015
Dynamic atmosphere while working with young kids, yet constant in the practice of procedure. Compensation is too little for such long in-cabin hours.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Long Hours
great people that I worked with
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCSeptember 18, 2016
Opened and closed the cash registers
Daily upkeep of the store
Customer service
Learned to help customers and work with employees in a mmore productive way.
Really got along with the employees there.
Hardest part was the repetitiveness of the physical work.
Interacting with the customers and co workers was enjoyable!
Pros
enjoyed interacting with co workers
Cons
repetitive work
Very Fast Paced Job.
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  London, ONJune 16, 2016
Not a job where i can keep up running on my feet as fast as everyone else. so time to move on and find something more suitable, a typical day at work. start off with a huge bag of donated clothes, and sort through dirty smelly and clean clothes. and pick the best Quality Clothing and to be hung and tagged, by 5:15 and you must be able to find at least 2000 pieces a day or more depending on what donations they receive.
Cons
Sore feet and body at the end of the day
Camp: A Balance of Life Skills and Workplace fun
Cook's Helper (Former Employee) –  Thorburn, NSSeptember 1, 2016
Scotian Glen Camp is the best place to start your working career. This camp that is operated by the Salvation Army is a camp where kids from all over the maritimes enjoy an entire week at camp. I have experience in three different job positions there: Kitchen Support, Cabin Counselor and Cook's Helper. A typical day at work would be long hours, but with the help of my team it was a productive day. It was always fast-paced which I enjoyed. I learned about time management, communication and patience. Most importantly, I learned to enjoy my positions not just for the pay, but for the experiences and fun that it entailed. I found some of the managements I had were tougher than others; however, it was all good learning experiences. Depending on the job, I found at times some of my co-workers would be slacking off and I would have to pull their weight. Other than that, always a great team. The hardest part about my job is when I would have children that would not listen. The best way I responded to that is that I would keep my patience, and find alternative ways to solve the problems. Communication skills played a big role in solving problems at camp. The most enjoyable part of my job is to see how my hard work played a role in the lives of the kids attending the camp.
Pros
Free living, free food, spiritual guidance
Cons
Long hours, stressful
A fun workplace with a lot of variety.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMarch 23, 2016
Salvation Army was one of the best workplaces I had worked for.
Even though it was only a summer job, I had enjoyed learning in practice about accounting, saw for the first time a balanced sheet,
took part in the staff meeting and enjoyed my co-workers jokes.
Both management and staff were very inclusive of me, and also very helpful professionally.
Fast paced, friendly environment with everyday opportunites to learn something new.
Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBFebruary 9, 2016
There is no such thing as a typical day of work at the Salvation Army. Some days you spend your whole day on the till and assisting customers. Others you would be running around taking donations, and insuring the store remained in good condition. I am thankful for the opportunity to work here as i got to learn may things about all the different products that have come to us in donations. My co-works were friendly and always ready to lend a hand for those in need. Sometimes it became difficult to keep up with the large volumes of the customers but ironically it also became one of my favorite parts of the job.Above all else there was a real satisfaction in giving back to you community,
Collecting donations for a good cause.
Kettle Attendant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONSeptember 1, 2016
My job as a kettle attendant involved manning the Salvation Army where people made donations. I also had to incentive people to donate money to a worthy cause - by explaining how the Salvation Army in Ottawa helps the homeless and disenfranchised.
food bank drop in centre
Food insecurity Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 1, 2016
This is a food bank and community organization agency which feeds the blight of the community and people that are in poverty. Also they help with referrals in other agencies.Such as housing and shelters and transitional housing. or ontario works.
Pros
feed the community
Cons
not open on saturdays.

The Salvation Army Reviews by Location