The Salvation Army Employee Reviews

Great place overall
Store Associate (Current Employee) –  Brantford, ON18 August 2017
The management is good. The workload is pretty heavy for the little training I personally have received in the last six weeks. Overall I enjoy the environment and the majority of the that people I work with.
Pros
Salary is good for part time work
Good environment, lots of interesting people
Volunteer work at food bank and thrift shop (Former Employee) –  Dawson Creek, BC17 August 2017
A little unorganized but meeting people makes up for it. Good place to volunteer and gain experience. Must be a self-motivated worker that can effectively manage many tasks at once.
Pros
Flexible work
Cons
Poor management
Salvation Army Thrift store, now closed
Inventory Management (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, AB16 August 2017
St. Albert Salvation Army Thrift store, closed due to Value Village opening.
Duties included the following; thoroughly inspected and accepted merchandise delivery. Accurately priced, displayed and stocked merchandise, reorganized floor space, increased sales by optimizing merchandise placement.
Productive and nice people to be around
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Wiarton, ON16 August 2017
Working at The Salvation Army you learn about helping people. The volunteering staff are really nice and if you need anything they are always there to help when needed. Volunteering for The Salvation Army isn't a hard job, you just have to be willing to help whenever is needed. The best part of the job is knowing at the end of the day you made people smile.
Review
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 August 2017
In my days working at salvation army, i found it very enjoyable as a first job where i can learn how to work and grow as an individual. I believe it is a great first job for anyone needing any knowledge about retail in life.
Great staff and good relations, just didn't work with my changing life.
store associate (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK6 August 2017
Working at the Salvation Army provides a great opportunity for those looking for a solid job with reliable hours. The staff are great and the customers are alright. It is a great place to work.
Great work culture and challenging
Mental Health and Addictions Coordinator/Counselor (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC2 August 2017
A day at work is challenging when working with vulnerable clients but the support and encouragement from the team is commendable. The hardest part of the job is leaving work at work and disconnecting when you get home. The most enjoyable part of the job is making connections with clients and seeing progress in the work we do.
Move On Quickly
Store Clerk (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC2 August 2017
The job is fine for a few months (MAX a year) before the toxic job culture begins to take its toll. People gossip and backbite day and night. There's a lot of catty behavior that is left unchecked by both management and staff alike. For students who want a steady job that works around their school schedule, this is a great job. However, move on quickly to prevent the inevitable stress and extreme negative energy that isn't worth it.

You can only expect to advance if you find favor with management. And even then it is extremely limited. Overall, great for a couple months but move on when you find something better.
Pros
Flexible hours, steady
Cons
Negative environment, No advancement opportunities
Working in the backroom at Salvation Army Thrift Store
Back Room Supervisor Production Team Member (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON31 July 2017
For the most part business as usual , lots of donations and mostly regular customers . I learned people will buy almost anything if priced accordingly .The management were very easy to get along with, and enjoyed hearing our input on ways to improve sales .A small group of employees , that all worked as a group very well to meet productivity and serve customers to the best of their ability .The hardest part was trying to tell people that the prices were set and could not be lowered , knowing that they could not afford the item .I enjoyed finding unique items and meeting customers and finding out their intrest .
Pros
Full benifits at start of employment
Cons
Dealing with violent customers
Best place ever
Greeter (Former Employee) –  Cornwall, ON31 July 2017
Great ppl and they understand and never had any problem plus I always gave them help hand plus they gave me helping greats job in life never had any problem
Physical and exhausting, environment is okay
Store Associate / Grader (Current Employee) –  Stoney Creek, ON23 July 2017
I enjoy working with the public, I like the job, although the physical aspect is tough and after a day of work I am exhausted, management can be tough to work with especially the district manager.. push push push, meeting high production quota's can be very difficult
Pros
like my hours of 8 to 4:30
Cons
very physical
Best place to meet people from different backgrounds
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC23 July 2017
I like this place because of polite nature of employers and volunteers or people coming there. I come in contact with new persons every day and by talking with them i really feel very happy.
More than meets the eye
Employee (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS20 July 2017
Lots of services offered at the building and in the community. Food bank, men's shelter, addictions, women's meetings, bible study, youth camps, help with heat and power and so much more.
full time work
Secretary/Receptionist, Dates (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON19 July 2017
low pay, full time work at office hours. no chance of advancement or raises. Religious environment. good people to work with mostly. a lot of paper work and red tape
Hard place to work and no support
Maintenance Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 July 2017
It's hard to do your job when your supervisor knows very little on how the job is to be done. The person in H.R. did not understand how thing get done. No support, from upper staff. Lots of work to do, little time to do it, hurry get it done. Staff could care less how it looked when told to go back and fix it they would go to the manager and cry, that they had to go back.
Pros
free coffee and treats, some nice people.
Cons
no support
Hard work with no acknowledgement for it.
Inventory Organizor (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB14 July 2017
Working alone a good part of my shift. Unfortunately the amount of work needed to be completed daily was next to impossible to complete. Work conditions were not ideal for anyone. Freezing cold in the winter, extremely hot in the summer. Heavy lifting, searching for items for customers.
Pros
Worked alone
Cons
Short hours, too much work for short period of time.
different every day.
Cashier and Customer service (Current Employee) –  Kelowna Rutland Thrift Store12 July 2017
Love working here, but I need more hours than are available. The group atmosphere is great. As I work as part of the receiving end of the store we take donations and meet different people every day. I am also a cashier and sales associate so iI ring through sales and returns, help customers on the sales floor and tidy up.
Pros
training programs on how to handle situations with different types of customers.
Cons
very warm at the receiving end of the store as you spend most of the days outdoors .
Not a good place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON10 July 2017
I currently work here, and i regret taking the job. All of my coworkers are incredibly hard working and very friendly people, but there is too much gossip in the workplace. The manager is very rude and ignorant. Also, the manager shows favoritism and does not care for your well being. In the job interview, it was stated that you will be alternated from cash to floor, to donations. That is all BS. I have been stuck in the donation center since i started 3 months ago and the management and other co-workers refuse to train me for cash because i do so well with taking donations. It is unfair and very tiring emotionally and physically. I suggest to anyone deciding to take up a job here, to know what you're getting into. The pay is good and the people are really easy to work with, but the work is very unfair and hard.
Pros
Good pay, long lunches
Cons
Long Hours, rude management, favoritism
Productive and fun workplace
Salvation Army Kettle Collector and Meal Provision (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 July 2017
I had a wonderful time working at North Toronto Tennis Club. Many friendships were made and the season went smoothly. If given the chance, I would return there.
Nice place
Driver's Assistant (Current Employee) –  Strathroy, ON3 July 2017
Great store, great people, great environment, great owners (majors), really easy to work with the people, as a whole its a great place to work at for anyone.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Salvation Army. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval