The Salvation Army Employee Reviews

a lot of great people
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON14 November 2016
the job in itself was not bad. if you are lazy you get praised if you are a worker you get more work. no chance for advancement unless it's full time and that can take months to years. Management was really bad such as not having a clue nor standing up to employee rights worst of all were all the lies from head office. a lot of co-workers were great but as a worker, you saw that the lazy people got away with it and if you spoke to management they would brush it under the rug. it's an ok job if you're a student or homemaker and you don't want to move up. Always keep an eye on your hours and pay because that gets messed up a lot.
Pros
some of the staff members
Cons
on your feet all day
Camp: A Balance of Life Skills and Workplace fun
Cook's Helper (Former Employee) –  Thorburn, NS1 September 2016
Scotian Glen Camp is the best place to start your working career. This camp that is operated by the Salvation Army is a camp where kids from all over the maritimes enjoy an entire week at camp. I have experience in three different job positions there: Kitchen Support, Cabin Counselor and Cook's Helper. A typical day at work would be long hours, but with the help of my team it was a productive day. It was always fast-paced which I enjoyed. I learned about time management, communication and patience. Most importantly, I learned to enjoy my positions not just for the pay, but for the experiences and fun that it entailed. I found some of the managements I had were tougher than others; however, it was all good learning experiences. Depending on the job, I found at times some of my co-workers would be slacking off and I would have to pull their weight. Other than that, always a great team. The hardest part about my job is when I would have children that would not listen. The best way I responded to that is that I would keep my patience, and find alternative ways to solve the problems. Communication skills played a big role in solving problems at camp. The most enjoyable part of my job is to see how my hard work played a role in the lives of the kids attending the camp.
Pros
Free living, free food, spiritual guidance
Cons
Long hours, stressful
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON20 July 2016
Your main job is to short clothes in the front of the store and as well as in the back. I have learned that one needs to be able to get used to being on ones feet for a long time and as well as communicating with the rest of the employees effectively. The management told us what is needed to be done by the end of the day. My co-workers were friendly and helpful individuals. The hardest part of the job was being on my feet for long hours. I really enjoyed working with my co-workers, they were helpful and understanding.
Pros
Breaks are fairly good
Cons
Being on your feet for long hours
rather grim but also nurturing workplace
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC23 October 2016
The hardest part of the job is watching people suffer when you cannot help them. The most enjoyable part of the job is having a client come to tell you that working with you saved their life. Another enjoyable part of the job is feeling like you are connect to the core of the community and having people wave and smile at you wherever you go.
Management can be hard to deal with but co-workers are great and change of shift can be a lot of fun, exchanging information and jokes and trying to give each other strength to deal with foreseen and unforeseen challenges that lie ahead for the next shift. When things go wrong it is the clients who are the first to step in and support and encourage.
Pros
building supportive relationships
Cons
low wages
Not a very good environment
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL13 November 2016
Work morale was low and management was terrible, staff and workers were great, and actual job was fine but a lot was expected for not very good pay. Good job for someone in school but not a good life time job.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Poor Management
great carrer base for people who wish to be in costomer service
Assitant Manager (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC18 July 2016
A day at work is to prepare the daily task ,due to working with donations ,employees ,volunteers and community workers as well as guest\customers.
I have learned to be patient ,working for and being around the less fortunate, i was an auctioneer as well, as many problem solving solver for issues within the store witch as kept me humble/modest
the hardest part of the job was the salary was making 29000/year witch was not sufficient or equivalent to the daily workload on feet 9hours a day ,many lifting of items more than 45lbs,
Most enjoyable part of the job was making a difference in someones filling a new home with furniture ,giving back to the community 93% of profit,helping new immigrants, fire victims, battered woman has really helped me appreciate life
Pros
genuine smiles from guest, great leaders, great benefits, sence of accomplishments
Cons
low salary, high dangerous variable costumer issues
productive and fun experience helping the community and church group.
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  London, ON24 July 2016
I mostly have experience providing volunteer service to the community. I was always on the go for helping people with questions and helping them figure out what they had to do. I learned to communicate efficiently with basically customers of all ages and my co-workers as well. I also learned to work in a fast paced environment where there was always someone in need of what I could offer. I easily adapt to a new environment with new people and always try to work the best of me at all times. I always enjoyed working with people and proving my service to customers.
Pros
had fun helping and communicating with others
Cons
no salary
What I enjoyed working for the Salvation Army,
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BC14 June 2016
A typical day at work was providing customer services to Salvation Army clientele. I learned how to prioritize and organize using time management; as well as providing Customer Service. Management was good at all areas relating to Salvation Army services offered and treated the employees well. The newer co workers weren't as educated in the Salvation Army Services long term employees but when any question arrived the Salvation Management team had patience in explaining and showing how to do the task at hand. I didn't find difficulties with the job. The most enjoyable part of the job was building friendship as well as providing services to the community.
Pros
Great people and decent pay
Cons
Miscommuncation sometimes.
A Welcoming Experience
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Bowmanville, ON29 November 2016
Each day I worked at the Salvation Army, was aways a new and enjoyable experience. Where I was able to meet new people and try new things. I really enjoyed being around the workers and management, they made me feel apart of the team even though I wasnt going to be there long. Being around them helped when the job got tough like unloading and loading trucks for hours on end.
Difficult but rewarding
Hostel & Front Desk worker (Former Employee) –  London23 March 2016
Co-workers are incredible for the most part, built a solid relationship with most of them. Very team-oriented environment.
Management seems to be a little out of the loop with what it is like to actually work the floors which results in some less than helpful advice from them.
Can be a little dangerous and difficult at times but overall rewarding.
Pros
Cheap lunches/dinners, team environment
Cons
Long hours, emotionally and mentally draining
Rewarding work - Terrible Management
Front Desk Agent (Former Employee) –  Halifax Regional Municipality, NS24 October 2016
The work is rewarding. The clients are awesome. Management terrible, and co workers terrible.
They care more about money than clients. Also staff continuously break rules. They play favorites if you believe in God and attend Chapel.
Pros
Free lunch, awesome clients
Cons
Terrible management, lack of secuirty
Amazing workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 December 2016
It's Amazing work place because you get to see the team work that everyone is putting in the work place. Also, the co- workers are very friendly they treat you like a family. And all the money goes to all the charity that the Salvation Army supports.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
ok salary
Easy place to work hard.
Anchorage Addictions Counselor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 April 2016
A typical work day started at 08:00 and completed at 16:00. A lot of the skills I learned in the network administrator course were reinforced through the problem diagnostic and problem resolution process. I learned a lot about BlackBerry's and their use in government. Keeping track of the various problems and resolution is important since these problems repeat themselves. Remaining approachable with my coworkers is very important in keeping a positive team effort. The hardest part of the job was learning the proprietary government software. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people I worked with, they are very professional and genuinely good people. It was easy to work hard in that environment.
Pros
The people I worked with.
Cons
Only three month term contracts.
Excellent place to work
Cashier/ Production Worker (Former Employee) –  London, ON16 November 2016
Run cash, answer phone, sort product
Excellent multitasking and customer service specialist
Management excellent
Co-workers worked as a team and got along well
The physicality
The guests
Pros
Fun team to work with
Cons
Physicality
Fun place to work
Cashier/ Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC17 September 2016
Co-wokers I enjoy very much
I enjoy every aspect. The management team is good and I like coming to work. I wish I got paid more but what can you do when the CEO only makes 27,000 a year because we give back to the community.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Minium wage
Fun workplace with amazing people!
Donation attendent (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON22 August 2016
This job has its ups and downs just like any other job. They don't pay the greatest but the people are the ones who are down to earth. Over all the work environment with great and everyone is treated the same!
Pros
Great people and okay shifts!
Cons
Long hours!
Enjoyed the work
Cashier/Clothing Sorter (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC10 November 2016
Working within this job, I truly enjoyed the people and staffing, yet management needed some work. The best part of this job was working for the community.
an ok job
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  London, ON30 September 2016
management was to impatient and not friendly, the staff was under union and seemed unfair to new employees. with time and training much more patients need to train new people.
Productive work place
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON14 July 2016
An excellent place to work. The staff are friendly, and bubbly and willing to help where necessary.
I love working with these people....and would love to work with them again in the future.
Pros
lots of room for advancement
Cons
some long shifts
Genuinely caring people
Strategy & Change Consultant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 September 2016
The staff and managers are great to work with. The salary levels are low but the flexibility and ability to work from home are great.

The Salvation Army Reviews by Location