The Salvation Army

The Salvation Army Employee Reviews

i just volunteered there it was fine
Food Bank Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC16 January 2017
i was a volunteer it was fine i learned how to work well with others i had to organize lots of things the most enjoyable part was everyone was very nice to work with
Outstanding global Organization
Graphic Designer (Freelance) (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC15 January 2017
The Salvation Army is an excellent Organization that treats its employees with the utmost highest regard. My job allows lots of creative freedom from the company and provides me a sense of fulfillment to be part of such an outstanding group of people.
Exciting and rewarding job, where we get to help kids with special needs, learn life and social skills.
Respite Care Worker (Current Employee) –  London, ON13 January 2017
This job has its challenges and its rewards, At this job I support kids and adults with behavioural, physical, or special needs. Our program is to provide relief to families for a weekend or week at a time. In a typical day, I administer medications, provide personal care (bathing, changing etc...), as well I take kids out into the community to do lots of different activities. My co-workers are the best in this job its very important to have each others backs, and to work as a team, in order for a shift to go smooth. Some of the challenges of this job are to learn the different techniques, to deal with different behaviours, and to avoid getting into a power struggle. Especially out in public it can be difficult to de-escalate, therefore determining what each kid can handle when planning an outing is very important so we set them up to succeed and not fail. The best part of this job is the kids, this job has taught me to be patient, it has taught me to see how important it is to not judge someone for being different. I have learned to know when some of my non-verbal kids act out, thats their way of telling us something is wrong and they just cant verbally say it. Which is super frustrating for them, so it teaches me to be patient, and to do my best to communicate with them and try to help them through their anxiety in that time. Overall this job has way more rewards then challenges, it continues to shape me into a better person through all the different participants I meet. I think most times I learn more from them, then they do from me.
Pros
Get to take part in all activities with the kids for free (movies, swimming etc...)
Cons
Not stable job, one week can have lots of hours, the next week could have little to none.
Exciting
Organizer (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB7 January 2017
It was an exciting place because you get to meet a lot of new people and hear their stories, and also get to help people in need.
Pros
Met awesome people
Cons
short hours
Cook/Server (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON6 January 2017
It was a good day to volenteer there. Ive learned how to cook and serve.The most hardest part was trying to co-opperate with some different people. But the good part was that you can help out with the homeless and poeple who didn't get to eat
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Chill little summer position!
Summer Student (Former Employee) –  Creston North, NL1 January 2017
Very quiet and serene. Super chill atmosphere just sorting through donations and stocking the shelves. The volunteers you work with are generally pretty cool and will help you create a 'hope chest' for when you move out or get married. It's fun and cool.
Pros
50% off already inexpensive merchandise.
Warm people with good intentions
Clothing Organizer (Former Employee) –  Shawnigan Lake, BC30 December 2016
I volunteered at a Salvation Army thrift store for a year and had a fun time. I sorted clothes and shelved new items. It was nice to spend a few hours every week doing something fairly mindless to relieve stress. In the back room there were three older ladies working who were super sweet and I enjoyed talking to. The only downfall was that I often had allergies due to cat hair or dust on old items that had been donated. I got a 30% staff discount on store items which was also very nice.
productive and busy involving heavy lifting
Cashier and Dock Attendant (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC12 December 2016
A typical day at work would involve assisting opening the store early in the morning where your daily duties would include opening the loading dock, checking the side of the building for new donations and bringing them to the back of the store, using a pallet jack to bring out triplewall corrugated pallet boxes of donations out into the back of the stores sorting station, sweeping the back sorting stations and walkways, assist bringing out the front merchandise to the front of the store, unlocking the side gates, and for the rest of the day removing garbage from the sorters stations, and removing and bringing the sorters newly filled triplewall corrugated pallet boxes full of donations to be sorted. I learned organization skills cooperation skills and time management skills while working at this job, the management was always fair and helpful and includes all of the workers in decisions regarding the store and how to make things run more smoothly, my coworkers were energetic fun people with good humor and strong work ethics. the hardest part of the job would have to be long hours of heavy lifting, difficult weather, and early morning shifts, the most enjoyable part of the job would have to be that with all the heavy lifting you get into shape quickly and the people I worked with were always kind and no matter the day there was always a laugh to be had in regards to some of the random donations that we received.
Pros
entertainment, wages, fair management.
Cons
long hours, heavy lifting, weather.
good atmosphere
Cashier/Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Dawson Creek, BC10 December 2016
Sorting donations that come in. then running cash and then into pricing or hanging area.
What I learned is it's never the same thing twice. You never know what some people will donate.
The people that volunteer and work there are all good people. We all get along. it's a happy atmosphere.
Some of the things people donate.
Seeing old faces that I recognize
Pros
free water and some food
it was an alright place to work
Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Fort St John, BC7 December 2016
learned how to work the till and do cash outs.The management was okay.co-workers were nice.hardest part was being on feet all day.pricing out things was good.
Pros
discount on clothing
Cons
low pay
Fun experience
Cleaning (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON7 December 2016
The people at salvation army was nice and fun to work with they were really encouraging in term of help me figure out what i have to do that is how to do tge job correctly and so on.
i like working with seniors
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON2 December 2016
i like this place it was a great feeling to help seniors and help them get out of there rooms at time .it was very different for me to deal with that age group .
Fun to work here.
Cashier / Store Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 December 2016
Accommodating and attending to the needs of customers is my daily tasks as a cashier. It helps me build confidence and motivation to do my job well. It is fun to work here sorting donations and arranging them. My co-workers are friendly.
Amazing workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 December 2016
It's Amazing work place because you get to see the team work that everyone is putting in the work place. Also, the co- workers are very friendly they treat you like a family. And all the money goes to all the charity that the Salvation Army supports.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
ok salary
A Welcoming Experience
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Bowmanville, ON29 November 2016
Each day I worked at the Salvation Army, was aways a new and enjoyable experience. Where I was able to meet new people and try new things. I really enjoyed being around the workers and management, they made me feel apart of the team even though I wasnt going to be there long. Being around them helped when the job got tough like unloading and loading trucks for hours on end.
Please see below
Cashier and Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB23 November 2016
I enjoyed my duration with the Salvation Army, I enjoyed customer service and had the opportunity of working with a dynamic bunch of co workers. I learned a great deal from the Manager . Customer service is my most enjoyable aspect of the job.
Pros
At the time, adaptable working hours to accomondate a working mother.
Cons
I can happy report there were no cons.
handing out food
volunteer (Current Employee) –  Salmon Arm, BC22 November 2016
i enjoy helping others through the salvation army and doing the kettle bell when christmas comes around i have currently signed up to do every friday up untill christmas
Excellent place to work
Cashier/ Production Worker (Former Employee) –  London, ON16 November 2016
Run cash, answer phone, sort product
Excellent multitasking and customer service specialist
Management excellent
Co-workers worked as a team and got along well
The physicality
The guests
Pros
Fun team to work with
Cons
Physicality
a lot of great people
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON14 November 2016
the job in itself was not bad. if you are lazy you get praised if you are a worker you get more work. no chance for advancement unless it's full time and that can take months to years. Management was really bad such as not having a clue nor standing up to employee rights worst of all were all the lies from head office. a lot of co-workers were great but as a worker, you saw that the lazy people got away with it and if you spoke to management they would brush it under the rug. it's an ok job if you're a student or homemaker and you don't want to move up. Always keep an eye on your hours and pay because that gets messed up a lot.
Pros
some of the staff members
Cons
on your feet all day
Not a very good environment
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL13 November 2016
Work morale was low and management was terrible, staff and workers were great, and actual job was fine but a lot was expected for not very good pay. Good job for someone in school but not a good life time job.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Poor Management

The Salvation Army Reviews by Location