The Salvation Army Employee Reviews

a lot of great people
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON14 November 2016
the job in itself was not bad. if you are lazy you get praised if you are a worker you get more work. no chance for advancement unless it's full time and that can take months to years. Management was really bad such as not having a clue nor standing up to employee rights worst of all were all the lies from head office. a lot of co-workers were great but as a worker, you saw that the lazy people got away with it and if you spoke to management they would brush it under the rug. it's an ok job if you're a student or homemaker and you don't want to move up. Always keep an eye on your hours and pay because that gets messed up a lot.
Pros
some of the staff members
Cons
on your feet all day
The boss was running a tight ship but some employees were intolerant and discriminatory towards visible minirities
Shipper and Receiver (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB Empress location3 February 2017
Typical day would consist of intake of donations and sorting through the donations, Work place environment was good with most employees. The hardest part of the job is the maturity level and discrimination that went on. Most enjoyable was the interaction with the customers and the boss, she was a good boss. The GM told me to watch were I stepped when I raised a concern about the dumping of hazardous products from other people. The GM didn't have the safety of the workers in mind.
Pros
Lots of books
Cons
Toxic employees
great rewarding Job, would recommend anyone to try
store manager (Former Employee) –  Mission, BC22 January 2017
My job at the Salvation Army Thrift Store was very rewarding, challenging, and enjoyable.
Every day was different with the donations that came in and I it was never boring.
I learned a lot about people with working the marginalized and , I this what was so rewarding was to see how you could help in a way that made their day brighter.
Pros
never boring, good benefits.
Cons
it closed down because of bidding wars and competition
productive and fun experience helping the community and church group.
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  London, ON24 July 2016
I mostly have experience providing volunteer service to the community. I was always on the go for helping people with questions and helping them figure out what they had to do. I learned to communicate efficiently with basically customers of all ages and my co-workers as well. I also learned to work in a fast paced environment where there was always someone in need of what I could offer. I easily adapt to a new environment with new people and always try to work the best of me at all times. I always enjoyed working with people and proving my service to customers.
Pros
had fun helping and communicating with others
Cons
no salary
great carrer base for people who wish to be in costomer service
Assitant Manager (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC18 July 2016
A day at work is to prepare the daily task ,due to working with donations ,employees ,volunteers and community workers as well as guest\customers.
I have learned to be patient ,working for and being around the less fortunate, i was an auctioneer as well, as many problem solving solver for issues within the store witch as kept me humble/modest
the hardest part of the job was the salary was making 29000/year witch was not sufficient or equivalent to the daily workload on feet 9hours a day ,many lifting of items more than 45lbs,
Most enjoyable part of the job was making a difference in someones filling a new home with furniture ,giving back to the community 93% of profit,helping new immigrants, fire victims, battered woman has really helped me appreciate life
Pros
genuine smiles from guest, great leaders, great benefits, sence of accomplishments
Cons
low salary, high dangerous variable costumer issues
Not a very good environment
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL13 November 2016
Work morale was low and management was terrible, staff and workers were great, and actual job was fine but a lot was expected for not very good pay. Good job for someone in school but not a good life time job.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Poor Management
Amazing workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 December 2016
It's Amazing work place because you get to see the team work that everyone is putting in the work place. Also, the co- workers are very friendly they treat you like a family. And all the money goes to all the charity that the Salvation Army supports.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
ok salary
Genuinely caring people
Strategy & Change Consultant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 September 2016
The staff and managers are great to work with. The salary levels are low but the flexibility and ability to work from home are great.
Camp: A Balance of Life Skills and Workplace fun
Cook's Helper (Former Employee) –  Thorburn, NS1 September 2016
Scotian Glen Camp is the best place to start your working career. This camp that is operated by the Salvation Army is a camp where kids from all over the maritimes enjoy an entire week at camp. I have experience in three different job positions there: Kitchen Support, Cabin Counselor and Cook's Helper. A typical day at work would be long hours, but with the help of my team it was a productive day. It was always fast-paced which I enjoyed. I learned about time management, communication and patience. Most importantly, I learned to enjoy my positions not just for the pay, but for the experiences and fun that it entailed. I found some of the managements I had were tougher than others; however, it was all good learning experiences. Depending on the job, I found at times some of my co-workers would be slacking off and I would have to pull their weight. Other than that, always a great team. The hardest part about my job is when I would have children that would not listen. The best way I responded to that is that I would keep my patience, and find alternative ways to solve the problems. Communication skills played a big role in solving problems at camp. The most enjoyable part of my job is to see how my hard work played a role in the lives of the kids attending the camp.
Pros
Free living, free food, spiritual guidance
Cons
Long hours, stressful
rather grim but also nurturing workplace
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC23 October 2016
The hardest part of the job is watching people suffer when you cannot help them. The most enjoyable part of the job is having a client come to tell you that working with you saved their life. Another enjoyable part of the job is feeling like you are connect to the core of the community and having people wave and smile at you wherever you go.
Management can be hard to deal with but co-workers are great and change of shift can be a lot of fun, exchanging information and jokes and trying to give each other strength to deal with foreseen and unforeseen challenges that lie ahead for the next shift. When things go wrong it is the clients who are the first to step in and support and encourage.
Pros
building supportive relationships
Cons
low wages
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON20 July 2016
Your main job is to short clothes in the front of the store and as well as in the back. I have learned that one needs to be able to get used to being on ones feet for a long time and as well as communicating with the rest of the employees effectively. The management told us what is needed to be done by the end of the day. My co-workers were friendly and helpful individuals. The hardest part of the job was being on my feet for long hours. I really enjoyed working with my co-workers, they were helpful and understanding.
Pros
Breaks are fairly good
Cons
Being on your feet for long hours
Enjoyable place to be
Volunteer - Customer Support (Former Employee) –  Tweed, ON18 January 2017
A typical day would be, greeting customers, organizing the clothes, pricing the clothing and working the cash if needed.
Everything I did there was a new learning experience. It was my first customer service placement. The hardest part of the job was keeping the clothes in the right section as people would move them around. I enjoyed everything about that placement and I enjoyed meeting all sorts of new people.
Pros
Nice co-workers
Cook/Server (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON6 January 2017
It was a good day to volenteer there. Ive learned how to cook and serve.The most hardest part was trying to co-opperate with some different people. But the good part was that you can help out with the homeless and poeple who didn't get to eat
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
productive and busy involving heavy lifting
Cashier and Dock Attendant (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC12 December 2016
A typical day at work would involve assisting opening the store early in the morning where your daily duties would include opening the loading dock, checking the side of the building for new donations and bringing them to the back of the store, using a pallet jack to bring out triplewall corrugated pallet boxes of donations out into the back of the stores sorting station, sweeping the back sorting stations and walkways, assist bringing out the front merchandise to the front of the store, unlocking the side gates, and for the rest of the day removing garbage from the sorters stations, and removing and bringing the sorters newly filled triplewall corrugated pallet boxes full of donations to be sorted. I learned organization skills cooperation skills and time management skills while working at this job, the management was always fair and helpful and includes all of the workers in decisions regarding the store and how to make things run more smoothly, my coworkers were energetic fun people with good humor and strong work ethics. the hardest part of the job would have to be long hours of heavy lifting, difficult weather, and early morning shifts, the most enjoyable part of the job would have to be that with all the heavy lifting you get into shape quickly and the people I worked with were always kind and no matter the day there was always a laugh to be had in regards to some of the random donations that we received.
Pros
entertainment, wages, fair management.
Cons
long hours, heavy lifting, weather.
Good hourly wage with alot of hours
Residential Relief Counselor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON22 February 2017
Working with the clients was abit challenging as you never know what to expect each day. Logging, bathing, and taking care of clients overall health was the basis of this employment.
Pros
employees
Cons
long hours, always on call
A Welcoming Experience
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Bowmanville, ON29 November 2016
Each day I worked at the Salvation Army, was aways a new and enjoyable experience. Where I was able to meet new people and try new things. I really enjoyed being around the workers and management, they made me feel apart of the team even though I wasnt going to be there long. Being around them helped when the job got tough like unloading and loading trucks for hours on end.
Warm people with good intentions
Clothing Organizer (Former Employee) –  Shawnigan Lake, BC30 December 2016
I volunteered at a Salvation Army thrift store for a year and had a fun time. I sorted clothes and shelved new items. It was nice to spend a few hours every week doing something fairly mindless to relieve stress. In the back room there were three older ladies working who were super sweet and I enjoyed talking to. The only downfall was that I often had allergies due to cat hair or dust on old items that had been donated. I got a 30% staff discount on store items which was also very nice.
Good beginner
Residential Worker (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 January 2017
Good starting job in the social services field. Responsibilities are balanced however long hours and nights are difficult. Rules and regulations are good.
Pros
Balanced responsibilities
Cons
Long hours and nights
Rewarding work - Terrible Management
Front Desk Agent (Former Employee) –  Halifax Regional Municipality, NS24 October 2016
The work is rewarding. The clients are awesome. Management terrible, and co workers terrible.
They care more about money than clients. Also staff continuously break rules. They play favorites if you believe in God and attend Chapel.
Pros
Free lunch, awesome clients
Cons
Terrible management, lack of secuirty
good atmosphere
Cashier/Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Dawson Creek, BC10 December 2016
Sorting donations that come in. then running cash and then into pricing or hanging area.
What I learned is it's never the same thing twice. You never know what some people will donate.
The people that volunteer and work there are all good people. We all get along. it's a happy atmosphere.
Some of the things people donate.
Seeing old faces that I recognize
Pros
free water and some food

The Salvation Army Reviews by Location