The Salvation Army

The Salvation Army Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Productive Learning experience,
General Labourer (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONJuly 22, 2014
Pros: learned how to do oil changes
Cons: didnt get paid as it was a co-op placement
It was a great work environment in which I learned a lot . This Co-Op gave me job experience and time management. This job taught me different aspects in maintaining a car and what is required to enter the work force.
Productive, fun, and a great chance at making a positive difference in the world.
Bell Ringer (Former Employee), 1100 Weston RoadJuly 19, 2014
Great chance to make a difference during the holidays. You also get to meet great people every day and help uplift the moods of anyone you meet.
Fun.
Volunteer (Former Employee), London, ONJuly 17, 2014
They are fun to work with. Easy to get along with. Not very social with other employees.
More opportunity to learn new things.
Customer Service / Sales Clerk (Former Employee), Langley, BCJuly 11, 2014

Management is quite
understanding and good.

The CO-WORKERS are fun ,understanding,
and knowledgeable.

The work is really not that much hard.

Busy days with lots off customers.
Interesting and rewarding place to volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee), Lower Sackville, NSJuly 7, 2014
Pros: donate as much or little time as preferred
Cons: slow paced environment
On a typical day of volunteer work i would usually donate about 5 hours of my time during the day to help out. Donations are constantly flowing in and it takes a great team effort to get everything organized and ready to be sold. Replenshing the merchandise is key in keeping the newer items on the shelves and separating the older items to be shipped – more... of to other countries who are need. Overall this was a great experience for me, i had the pleasure of meeting new people daily from all walks of life. – less
it was an okay time
(seasonal) store associate (Former Employee), london ontarioJuly 3, 2014
was an alright place to work , it was my second job so I cant really be too specific on whether it was a great place or not
Fun and inclusive as a group.
Bell Ringer / Greeter (Current Employee), New Westminster, BCJune 30, 2014
Pros: free to do what we want to do during shift to attract patrons
Cons: cold and standing (requires stamina).
We had coffee at Tim Hortons and during breaks.
The supervisor was positive and transparent and upbeat and acted like a "coach" by the ball field.
An alright place to work, feels good after a shift
Volunteer (Former Employee), 263 Queen street eastJune 29, 2014
Pros: relatively simple work
Cons: trying to find a place for things can be difficult
I volunteered here as reference.
My experience with the Salvation Army was good.
A day usually for me just went like moving stuff to a display area to sell it, organizing clothing racks and talking with customers.
I learned that the customer is always right and it's my duty to help them in whichever way they need, with a good attitude.
The management – more... is a little haphazard, but here it's good to take initiative and figure out what needs to be done.
The co-workers all have their tasks and were generally nice, not a bad group to joke around with and have fun while you work.
The hardest part of the job I'd say is finding where to put things, and even that's not that hard.
I enjoyed meeting people and putting smiles on faces. – less
energetic, fun, friendly,
Kitchen assistant, Customer service (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJune 28, 2014
Pros: many ways to advance within the organization
Cons: no cons
It was a great experience working for the salvation army. The staff are friendly, and the work place is very organized and clean. I learned many different things relating customer service, and working in a kitchen that feeds over 600 people a day.
Productive and fun
Kettle Worker (Volunteer) (Former Employee), Chatham-Kent, ONJune 20, 2014
It was very enjoyable and all of the co-workers were a joy to work with.
Straight forward sorting and packing job
Christmas Hamper Maker (Former Employee), Chilliwack, BCJune 20, 2014
Pros: hapiness to others
Labeled donated toys with stickers for different age groups. Placed toys on tables, in order of age. Arranged special hamper bags for specific families in need. This was a straight forward task, with minimal effort. My favorite part was bringing happiness to families who are in need.
Community Experience
Volunteer Work (Former Employee), Etobicoke, ONJune 16, 2014
At the Salvation Army Thrift store, all the volunteers were asked to sort clothes – to go through all the clothes donated and to choose the ones that could be worn again and sold. Moreover, I often had to price items, assist customers, mostly seniors, and also had to maintain a clean and safe environment.
workplace
Admin Asst-Public Relations & Development (PRD) (Former Employee), London, ONJune 16, 2014
The Salvation Army has a great mission. Co-workers are great. Management is interesting.
This was an ok placement
High school placement (Co-op) (Former Employee), Brampton, OntarioJune 13, 2014
Pros: good people skills
Cons: standing up all day
I was sorting clothes and ripping off tags on the clothes. The co workers were nice to me and helped me a lot when i needed help. The hardest part was standing up all the time and not allowed to sit down.
A wonderful experience that taught me to get the job done
Kitchen Crew (Former Employee), St. Joseph, Michigan, USAJune 13, 2014
Pros: fun time
Cons: long day, many people
Spending my time in a neighborhood of less fortunate people than myself and being able to serve in a soup kitchen. Work included the serving of food and the general upkeep of the building. Table wiping and dish washing finished up the day. The management was kind, but stern in orders. Most likely, the hardest part of the job was scraping old grease – more... off the oven racks. Despite the work, it was enjoyable to communicate with the residents of the community, and get the job done. The experience taught me that if I don't do my job, people in need of the service I might provide would be cheated out of it. – less
Rewarding volunteer work
General Helper (Former Employee), Brampton, ONJune 9, 2014
Got to meet many people, and perform many tasks. This includes shelf stocking, packing clothes, and cleaning.
Good job, volunteering server
Volunteer Server (Former Employee), HamiltonJune 7, 2014
Helping other
Postive atitude
Good communication skills
Good leadership skills
Assertive
Very productive work days. However, extremely poor management and leadreship skills shown by the boss/manager.
Sales Representative/Clerk (Former Employee), Brantford, ONJune 4, 2014
Pros: meeting new work employees. learning brand new skills to take with me to other work places.
Cons: very, very poor management. the boss was not at all friendly to me, while he was to all the other worker.
At the beginning of a typical day at work, I would begin by sorting clothes which were brought in by donators. Than aftwerwards, go for the first break of the day. Followed by tagging the donations by color coded tags. Once my daily duties were completed, I would than stock the glass case and shelves with the new items.
Productivity was a major part of your day,,, not much time for Customer service.
Store Manager (Former Employee), Halifax, NSMay 23, 2014
Pros: helping those in need..
Cons: not helping enough in need :(
I was recruited from another company (Penningtons after being there only 4 weeks.). Was literally hired on the spot.!!. and made an Assistant Manager at the store in Bayers Lake… when that store closed out, I managed the Thrift Store in Lower Sackville for 2 years and then moved to the Herring Cove Store for another 2 years… The National Recycling Organization – more... was going through a lot of changes just before I left and there was no room for advancement, as they were taking the bigger jobs to Moncton, and I was not prepared to move at that time.. The best part of the job was the interaction with the customers and helping out and "giving back" which is what the stores were all about.. Getting the merchandise out to the floor in a timely manner was a challenge,, but I love a challenge, and thoroughly enjoyed my time with that Company… – less
my co-workers are kind, helpful and good management
Store Clerk (Current Employee), Brossard, QCMay 18, 2014
the working condition is excellent and teamwork, camaraderie exists between the co-workers

1 2 3 4 5

About The Salvation Army

Battling to provide social services, The Salvation Army is more than 4 million strong -- including some 3.4 million registered – Read more

The Salvation Army Photos