The Salvation Army Employee Reviews

Awful
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON12 October 2017
The staff is incredibly rude at the location I worked at, the managers were the definition of useless any serious situation that occurred with the customers the employees would be expected to take care of it the managers would refuse mainly because they didn't know how to deal with it.
Pros
literally nothing
Productive and friendly work enviroment
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC6 October 2017
My typical day at work when I was volunteering at Salvation Army, Usually I would sort and organize the donated clothes from the useless and the useable. They've shown me what to look for in the clothes as in tears, holes, etc.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Consistency, doing the same job everyday
Decent place to work
Moncton North Location- Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB4 October 2017
You are actively helping the community. The current managers in place are amazing to work for and Human resources as well as the District Manager in this region are wonderful to work with and really care about you as a human. You are not a number there you are valued.
Enjoyable work atmosphere
Coordinator Assistant (Former Employee) –  Penticton, BC29 September 2017
I worked with seniors and youth in the gardens, picking fruits and vegetables, cooking with them, showing them how to can, and prepare foods. I learned many skills with the crew I worked with.
Meet lots of People
KETTLE WORKER (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON18 September 2017
Set up my Station to Collect Money for Christmas. How to Communicate with People. Excellent Managers. Great work Culture. Standing on your feet a lot. Having Sundays off.
Very humble volunteering position but lackluster
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON15 September 2017
A typical day mostly consisted of setting up at a public location with the kettle and standing with a happy smile to greet those willing to donate. I learned how to communicate with complete strangers efficiently. The job was quite dull as there were no other staff or volunteers with you or in the immediate area as I believe co-workers positive energies can greatly benefit your work etiquette.
Pros
Donations went towards a good cause
Cons
Quite dull being the only volunteer on location
Volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ON. Canada6 September 2017
I volunteered during the Christmas season to ring the bells and collect donations. I would stand in part of the shopping center and ring the bells and people would either choose to put money in the Christmas Kettle or not. That's it
was thankful
Intake Worker/ Food Bank (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 September 2017
i had a great was thankful for my time with the salvation army, they had taught me a lot and helped advance my skills. they worked with my hours knowing i had young kids at home. great experince.
fulfilling job. no benifits
Respite Support Worker (Current Employee) –  London, ON23 August 2017
No benefits unless full-time. Only 3 full time positions exist and they are all permanently filled. the job itself is wonderful and fulfilling. management could improve ten fold
Collaborate with community leaders from this organization
Social Worker Assistant (Current Employee) –  North York, ON23 August 2017
Referred families to others food bank, financial assistance programs, employment and
training support and health and immigration services.
Addressed questions and concerns from the general public or from our clients.
Met with clients one-on-one to determine necessary services and make appropriate
treatment recommendations.
Referred clients to partner agencies for additional services.
Entered client data in a centralized database and maintained up-to-date case records
for all clients.
Helping to educate residents and families about available services and resources.
Kept up-to-date, thorough and accurate case files.
Pros
good working environment
Cons
sabbat work schedules
Great place overall
Store Associate (Current Employee) –  Brantford, ON18 August 2017
The management is good. The workload is pretty heavy for the little training I personally have received in the last six weeks. Overall I enjoy the environment and the majority of the that people I work with.
Pros
Salary is good for part time work
Good environment, lots of interesting people
Volunteer work at food bank and thrift shop (Former Employee) –  Dawson Creek, BC17 August 2017
A little unorganized but meeting people makes up for it. Good place to volunteer and gain experience. Must be a self-motivated worker that can effectively manage many tasks at once.
Pros
Flexible work
Cons
Poor management
Salvation Army Thrift store, now closed
Inventory Management (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, AB16 August 2017
St. Albert Salvation Army Thrift store, closed due to Value Village opening.
Duties included the following; thoroughly inspected and accepted merchandise delivery. Accurately priced, displayed and stocked merchandise, reorganized floor space, increased sales by optimizing merchandise placement.
Productive and nice people to be around
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Wiarton, ON16 August 2017
Working at The Salvation Army you learn about helping people. The volunteering staff are really nice and if you need anything they are always there to help when needed. Volunteering for The Salvation Army isn't a hard job, you just have to be willing to help whenever is needed. The best part of the job is knowing at the end of the day you made people smile.
Review
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 August 2017
In my days working at salvation army, i found it very enjoyable as a first job where i can learn how to work and grow as an individual. I believe it is a great first job for anyone needing any knowledge about retail in life.
Great staff and good relations, just didn't work with my changing life.
store associate (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK6 August 2017
Working at the Salvation Army provides a great opportunity for those looking for a solid job with reliable hours. The staff are great and the customers are alright. It is a great place to work.
Great work culture and challenging
Mental Health and Addictions Coordinator/Counselor (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC2 August 2017
A day at work is challenging when working with vulnerable clients but the support and encouragement from the team is commendable. The hardest part of the job is leaving work at work and disconnecting when you get home. The most enjoyable part of the job is making connections with clients and seeing progress in the work we do.
Move On Quickly
Store Clerk (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC2 August 2017
The job is fine for a few months (MAX a year) before the toxic job culture begins to take its toll. People gossip and backbite day and night. There's a lot of catty behavior that is left unchecked by both management and staff alike. For students who want a steady job that works around their school schedule, this is a great job. However, move on quickly to prevent the inevitable stress and extreme negative energy that isn't worth it.

You can only expect to advance if you find favor with management. And even then it is extremely limited. Overall, great for a couple months but move on when you find something better.
Pros
Flexible hours, steady
Cons
Negative environment, No advancement opportunities
Working in the backroom at Salvation Army Thrift Store
Back Room Supervisor Production Team Member (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON31 July 2017
For the most part business as usual , lots of donations and mostly regular customers . I learned people will buy almost anything if priced accordingly .The management were very easy to get along with, and enjoyed hearing our input on ways to improve sales .A small group of employees , that all worked as a group very well to meet productivity and serve customers to the best of their ability .The hardest part was trying to tell people that the prices were set and could not be lowered , knowing that they could not afford the item .I enjoyed finding unique items and meeting customers and finding out their intrest .
Pros
Full benifits at start of employment
Cons
Dealing with violent customers
Best place ever
Greeter (Former Employee) –  Cornwall, ON31 July 2017
Great ppl and they understand and never had any problem plus I always gave them help hand plus they gave me helping greats job in life never had any problem

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Salvation Army. Our community is ready to answer.