The Salvation Army Employee Reviews

Fun and enjoyable work environment
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 December 2017
I was volunteering with them for summer camp and I really enjoyed my time there. It was a great experience. the organisation helps a lots of people .
Loved the co-workers, customers and clients
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Vernon, BC6 December 2017
In the morning I would open the store, welcome clients, put out merchandise, and run the til, assist clients and customers. I learned much about people who are homeless, addicted or challenged with behavioral or physical disabilities. I found the management to be difficult at times and disrespectful toward employees and clients on occasion. The culture of the store was awesome, and got to know a lot of people. I did have good fun while working there. The hardest part of the job was low pay. Being a group that is there for helping people, I felt they could have done a better job taking care of their own.
Pros
morning and afternoon coffee break and half hour lunch
Cons
low pay
fun place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Confederation Park, SK24 November 2017
loved the atmosphere and the customers who regularly came in.I learned how to handle a difficult situation. I don't think there was anything hard about working there, just some of the people. The most enjoyable part was making friends with a few of my co-workers and customers.
Decent but poor management
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC23 November 2017
A typical day for me involved managing the cash register and arranging clothes. I enjoyed speaking with the clients and meeting different kinds of personalities. However, the management was quite poor, often putting the customer above protecting its own employees.
Volunteer Experience
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC14 November 2017
My typical day involved preparing foods and packaging and I learned a lot from other Volunteers while volunteering for Salvation Army.
We served food at a the same time everyday for a lot of people. The hardest part of the job was interacting with customers with bad temperaments. The most enjoyable part about this was giving back to the community and I love volunteering.
Great Place To Work
Camp At Home Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Ontario14 November 2017
A really fun environment where I made great connections and learned leadership skills.

Learning to manage situations and lead people was hard at times but very rewarding and exciting.
Good organization, poor management
Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BC13 November 2017
Not much direction or structure provided by management. Lots of freedom to work as you'd like to, but no clear goals provided...good hearts but not much professionalism
great and productive
VOLUNTEER (Current Employee) –  Ellesmere, ON7 November 2017
Peaceful and cordial working environment.
I learnt to take initiatives and deal with the community with love paying attention to individuals on first come first serve basis
Management is knowledgeable and dedicated to work, treating every individual with warm and cordial approach.
The most enjoyable part is seeing people leaving with a smile and appreciation for the help rendered.
good job
Driver's Helper (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB7 November 2017
I feel good about helping the less fortunate. The people who are donating are very generous. I also enjoy dealing with my fellow employees in our warehouse and our thrift store.
Pros
helping people
Cons
warehouse is too small and needs more dock doors
a really friendly and helpful happy place to work
Data entry (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON7 November 2017
helping clients receive food and goods in a timely and efficient manner. i learned to problem solve and think on my feet i learned data entry and worked with many groups that came to volunteer the management were kind and helpful and always there to help and assist with anything that we needed.

Want to know more about The Salvation Army?

Ask a question
The joy of the Lord is my strength, he gives a living water and I thirst no more
Solider of Christ (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON Canada4 November 2017
Sleep and rise up early.
Learn on the job.
Time management, budgeting, and cost control.
All nationalities are welcome.
Let there be peace on earth, let it begins with me, let there be peace on, its perfect harmony and God as our father and brothers all are we
let there be peace on earth, let it begins with me.
We share our love with one another.
Pros
Share our food, like the book of Act.
Cons
Overtime is necessary.
Day in the life
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 November 2017
Day would be unique and different, no one knew what kind of donations we would get because most of our inventory was majority based on donations, and what the people bring in, we would have to go through the things and decide which items are worth selling and which items would be considered trash.
Loved it
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Maple Creek, SK31 October 2017
I volunteered at this company such amazing people in this small town and free lunches and discounts on items that I would purchase. I loved helping people find what little treasures
worked all over the store
Cashier/Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC27 October 2017
I enjoy working with people. I had a great time. I had many tings to do to be very busy. I love helping people it is very rewarding. I cant please everyone but I can try,
Pros
helping people with no money
Cons
when people yell
great co workers
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Ontario25 October 2017
People there are lovely and make the environment much more exciting and desirable to be there. I feel that this job has made me knowledgeable on many skills I will need for my future career goals.
positive beginning into the work force
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BC17 October 2017
This was a really relaxed job, it was my first job and I didn't have any experience handling people so I mostly worked in the back and on the floor! The management was good, people there were awesome but not the most happy, they would treat homeless people like thieves almost 99% of the time, I kind of let a lot of stuff slide because this was donated clothes for free and if i saw a man steal a pair of pants I wasn't going to say anything because we need to check our privilege in times like that. But obviously I realize it's a company and they need to make money but when you sell a dress for 14.99 I think you're doing just fine.
Pros
50% off discount
Awful
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON12 October 2017
The staff is incredibly rude at the location I worked at, the managers were the definition of useless any serious situation that occurred with the customers the employees would be expected to take care of it the managers would refuse mainly because they didn't know how to deal with it.
Pros
literally nothing
Productive and friendly work enviroment
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC6 October 2017
My typical day at work when I was volunteering at Salvation Army, Usually I would sort and organize the donated clothes from the useless and the useable. They've shown me what to look for in the clothes as in tears, holes, etc.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Consistency, doing the same job everyday
Decent place to work
Moncton North Location- Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB4 October 2017
You are actively helping the community. The current managers in place are amazing to work for and Human resources as well as the District Manager in this region are wonderful to work with and really care about you as a human. You are not a number there you are valued.
Enjoyable work atmosphere
Coordinator Assistant (Former Employee) –  Penticton, BC29 September 2017
I worked with seniors and youth in the gardens, picking fruits and vegetables, cooking with them, showing them how to can, and prepare foods. I learned many skills with the crew I worked with.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Salvation Army. Our community is ready to answer.