The Salvation Army
2,882 reviews

The Salvation Army Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
good place to volunteer with nice workers
Food distributer (volunteer) (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONJuly 12, 2015
Pros: nice work place, free water battles for workers
Cons: building somewhat hard to find
I did not work with them long as i only worked there for around 40 hours for the volunteering requirement for graduating high-school. But the workers there were nice.
Team members lacked sense of urgency and professionalism
Donations attendant (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJuly 12, 2015
Pros: Outside all day
Cons: Childish management team
I enjoyed working within the salvation army, the people on the other hand were something else. very unprofessional and mean.
Fun
Cashier/Sorter (Former Employee), markhamJuly 11, 2015
I enjoyed working here there was always something new to see or do. There were lots of donations dropped off daily for us to sort thru and place on the floor for sale. I would also open and close the store entering final daily sales reports numbers and emailing them to head office.
Pretty good place to work
Truck Driver (Former Employee), Fort St John, BCJuly 10, 2015
Pros: Good atmosphere
Cons: Poor Pay
Captains at the Salvation Army are caring and compassionate and not only help the broad community, but will do whatever they can for employees
Daily work
Sales associate (Former Employee), ottawaJuly 6, 2015
Pros: 50% employee discount
Cons: repetitive work
My day starts with cleaning the cash area, then at nine i open the doors to stores. Im often at cash or work on floor. coworkers are amazing. Hardest part of the job lack of appreciation and repetitive work. Management can definitely improve.
I have learn about various brands and giving customer service.
Good volunteer work
VOLUNTEER (Former Employee), Brampton, ONJuly 3, 2015
Pros: Friendly supervisors
Cons: rarely but at times confusing instructions
great volunteer work for youth and friendly helplful supervisors. Learn the importance of giving back. Hard to know exactly how supervisors want tasks to be done.
Mundane, unfriendly and unrewarding
Cashier/Production Clerk (Former Employee), Saskatoon, SaskatchewanJune 19, 2015
Pros: Pay check
Cons: Unfriendly, mundane
Although I do like customrer service the Salvation Army was mundane and boring. A typical day consisted of sorting clothes, stocking the racks and shelves and assisting customers. I was able to enhance my customer service skills. The management team was unfriendly, rude and disrespectful. My co-workers varied from being very nice to being rude and obnoxious. The hardest part of my job was dealing with the unpleasant social environment. The most enjoyable part of my job was working with the customers.
seasonal employment review
Advertising Advocate (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONJune 12, 2015
The position is seasonal and offers no permanent work. Due to the charity nature of the work, the wages are low.

I interacted with the public to increase donations, which I really enjoyed.

The work was part time which allowed personal time.

The management team was accessible online through email and punctual at work.

The short term nature of the work was the hardest part of the job.
Playing with children
Resident Care Worker (Current Employee), Yellowknife, NTJune 11, 2015
Pros: According to the shift . lunch / supper
Cons: 12hrs
Working with outreach people. Addiction Counselling. At the men shelter serving food and shelter, maintain peace, doing programs.

I learned to,promote the dignity of all persons, meet human needs and being a transforming influence in the communities of our world, striving to be the best at what we do, honesty, trustworthy, and accountablity, Committment etc.,

I enjoying working as a team with co-workers, sharing food, learning culture, being honest and commeted.

Saying No, this is hard part of my life.

I enjoying by working. I feel work is worship.
Good place to work and grow your faith
Cabin Leader (Former Employee), Jacksons Point, ONJune 3, 2015
You are responsible for watching over young kids and leading them to activities like hockey, canoeing and crafts.The hardest part of the job is dealing with the stress of watching over so many kids 24/7 but its worth it for the experience you get out of it.
productive and fun work place
Clothing Sorter (Former Employee), Chatham-Kent, ONMay 31, 2015
i did this as a volunteer!! it was a very good experience for me! co-workers were all great and friendly and always there when i needed them!!
Boring job
Customer Service (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 31, 2015
a typical day at salvation army would require me to constantly re arrange the clothes, i would have to help the customers wh come in, i would also have to help out in the store with sorting out the clothes. the management wasn't that good, i was pretty much not doing anything for ht most part because the management would run out of things for me to do. my co workers and i never really spoke much, the hardest part of the job was how boring it was and the most enjoyable part of the job was nothing.
Fun meet new people and understanding new culture
Working as volunteer (Former Employee), RidgetownMay 19, 2015
Since,I was new to the country,working at salvation help me understand the culture. My boss and other employees were very friendly and co-operative with me. I had two bosses, from one I learned discipline and the other Customer Service skills.Tough part of my job was lifting heavy weights and the best part is i have many really good friends.
Volunteering
VOLUNTEER (Former Employee), Oakville, ONMay 19, 2015
Typically, volunteering for the christmas kettle involves constant flow of enthusiasm and energy. Shifts are three hours long, during all hours of the day and evening. The hardest element to the job was the ability to keep a high energy especially when no one was around, but overall the experience was incredible. The best part about this job was talking to the public and making small talk and communicating a happy and warming atmosphere In such a cold and stressful time in the year. I've had two years of experience with the christmas kettle, and in conclusion I think the opportunity was great and widely accessible to everyone.
good work
Stock Person (Former Employee), Duncan, BCMay 14, 2015
Pros: I am helping others
Cons: not too sure.
when I was in middle school I was looking for a start in work experience and my friend did volunteer work here. I didn't start here but when I did work here I was happy to wake up early and working independently. I wake up early as 5:30 and try to be flexible for work I want to be prepared and will take any job. no excuses I will learn how to do my work.
Good place to practice using people skills.
Kitchen Steward (Former Employee), Williams Lake, BCMay 4, 2015
Pros: Nice people to work with.
Cons: To volunteer means I can not get money for being a volunteer.
I volunteered with them a long time ago and still remember working behind the counter with a co-worker. I worked on morning shift and afternoon shift. I also stayed until I was the second last person out of the Drop-in because, my co-worker was the person that had to lock the door after work. I love working with others and don't find it hard to help anybody.
Friendly and and an excellant learning experience
Floor Counsellor (Current Employee), Harbour LightsApril 30, 2015
Pros: Possiblity for advancement
Cons: Some shifts are long
It is a wonderful place to work. Co-workers are friendly and helpful and provided the best training. I have learnt more about Case management, note taking and providing one on one counselling to the residential clients during my short time at Harbour Lights
Volunteer work
Volunteer (Former Employee), Brampton, ONApril 30, 2015
Great place to volunteer and give back a little time to the community. I am happy with the opportunity to learn and help people.
Great teamwork with my co-workers
Part Time Thrift Store Worker (Current Employee), Bridgetown, NSApril 26, 2015
Our team of staff is amazing and has the ability to meet customer needs and provide friendly customer service and satisfaction.

We face challenges everyday as staff that no one sees behind the scenes, such as digging through dusty and sometimes dirty or hazardous donations that come into our store in order to find the good stuff that we need to sell to our customers and to keep the store running on a daily basis. We are also a religious organization, so we must always remember to show compassion and sensitivity to those who sometimes come into our store seeking help from the church.

We enjoy dealing with customers and knowing that our hard work is also contributing towards helping the community as well.
very nice place to work
Head of Maintenance (Former Employee), Toronto, ONApril 25, 2015
Pros: great people
Cons: none
i really like working at the salvation army .the staff are great people to work with. they are very open minded towards people

1 2 3 4 5

About The Salvation Army

The Salvation Army is a Christian church known for its thrift stores and charity work. It is an international movement that works – Read more

The Salvation Army Photos

Captain Kettle---Holiday Parade
This is why I worked there
feeding others