The Salvation Army

The Salvation Army Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Volunteering
VOLUNTEER (Former Employee), Oakville, ONMay 19, 2015
Typically, volunteering for the christmas kettle involves constant flow of enthusiasm and energy. Shifts are three hours long, during all hours of the day and evening. The hardest element to the job was the ability to keep a high energy especially when no one was around, but overall the experience was incredible. The best part about this job was talking to the public and making small talk and communicating a happy and warming atmosphere In such a cold and stressful time in the year. I've had two years of experience with the christmas kettle, and in conclusion I think the opportunity was great and widely accessible to everyone.
good work
Stock Person (Former Employee), Duncan, BCMay 14, 2015
Pros: I am helping others
Cons: not too sure.
when I was in middle school I was looking for a start in work experience and my friend did volunteer work here. I didn't start here but when I did work here I was happy to wake up early and working independently. I wake up early as 5:30 and try to be flexible for work I want to be prepared and will take any job. no excuses I will learn how to do my work.
Good place to practice using people skills.
Kitchen Steward (Former Employee), Williams Lake, BCMay 4, 2015
Pros: Nice people to work with.
Cons: To volunteer means I can not get money for being a volunteer.
I volunteered with them a long time ago and still remember working behind the counter with a co-worker. I worked on morning shift and afternoon shift. I also stayed until I was the second last person out of the Drop-in because, my co-worker was the person that had to lock the door after work. I love working with others and don't find it hard to help anybody.
Friendly and and an excellant learning experience
Floor Counsellor (Current Employee), Harbour LightsApril 30, 2015
Pros: Possiblity for advancement
Cons: Some shifts are long
It is a wonderful place to work. Co-workers are friendly and helpful and provided the best training. I have learnt more about Case management, note taking and providing one on one counselling to the residential clients during my short time at Harbour Lights
Volunteer work
Volunteer (Former Employee), Brampton, ONApril 30, 2015
Great place to volunteer and give back a little time to the community. I am happy with the opportunity to learn and help people.
Great teamwork with my co-workers
Part Time Thrift Store Worker (Current Employee), Bridgetown, NSApril 26, 2015
Our team of staff is amazing and has the ability to meet customer needs and provide friendly customer service and satisfaction.

We face challenges everyday as staff that no one sees behind the scenes, such as digging through dusty and sometimes dirty or hazardous donations that come into our store in order to find the good stuff that we need to sell to our customers and to keep the store running on a daily basis. We are also a religious organization, so we must always remember to show compassion and sensitivity to those who sometimes come into our store seeking help from the church.

We enjoy dealing with customers and knowing that our hard work is also contributing towards helping the community as well.
very nice place to work
Head of Maintenance (Former Employee), Toronto, ONApril 25, 2015
Pros: great people
Cons: none
i really like working at the salvation army .the staff are great people to work with. they are very open minded towards people
Horrible Manager
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Victoria, BCApril 22, 2015
Manager was lazy and demanding. Work was generally carried by one or two people, while the manager took smoke breaks and sat in her office the entire day. She also came in late many days saying "she deserved it for working so hard". The only good part about working for the Salvation Army is experience for resume. Pay wasn't enough for the slaves we were treated like.
Fun work place
Volunteer Experiences (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONApril 19, 2015
Pros: Free snacks and drinks
This environment was very positive and friendly, helping the less fortunate with giving back (giving others toys and gifts for Christmas to make them happy).
Cook (Current Employee), Barrie, ONApril 17, 2015
Pros: free lunches
Cons: hard to organize donations
a typical day is a serve a lot of people free food. I learned a lot about compassion for all people. Management is excellent, my co-workers are great. The hardest part of the job is not giving everything we have away to the people who come to us for help, moderation. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping people.
the best place to worked
Personal Supporter Worker (Former Employee), Toronto, ONApril 14, 2015
Pros: shift hours
Cons: early morning shift
what I've learned as a Personal support worker to have patient, understanding and compassionate. The most important you must enjoy your job
Great Experience
Volunteer (Former Employee), Terrace, BCApril 11, 2015
Pros: Helping others
Cons: The flood and damages it created.
Despite what the job was for, and the damages it had created, it was a great experience helping others in need at such a bad time.
Underappreciated and underpaid
Housekeeper (Former Employee), Pine Lake, ABApril 11, 2015
Cons: Underappreciated, overworked
Although I met great people I felt severely underappreciated for the hard work and long hours I put in. I was not made aware of many important facts such as my shift times (I assumed I worked until I was done, apparently I only got paid until 5 however actually worked until 11pm sometimes after starting at 8am) my partner was consistently late and faced no penalties. Overall wasn't worth the great people I met. I was unpaid for awhile due to an error they could not fix.
Work Life Balance
Treasury Analyst (Current Employee), Toronto, ONApril 10, 2015
This positions allows me to keep a very good work life balance. It is an extremely friendly and welcoming environment. We are challenged with new tasks on a daily basis which allows us to continue to learn and grow.
Professional, friendly environment
Case Worker (Former Employee), Dunnville, ONApril 6, 2015
I have loved every minute of my placement at the Salvation Army. All staff has welcomed me with open arms and taught me so much. I have appreciated the time they have spent with me and the skills I have been able to take home and use in my future career in the Social Services field.
A great work and learning experience
Volunteer Work (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONMarch 29, 2015
Pros: volunteer hours and the acknowledgment
Cons: work load
At each of these places, i was able to improve my job skills and get some new ones such as multicultural sensitivity and technical skills . They both had very friendly and cooperative management teams which i learnt a lot from. The hardest part was trying to balance school work with it and also coming to terms with the work load which i eventually succeed in doing. overall, every other thing was very enjoyable.
Nice place to volunteer at
Voluteer Receiver (Former Employee), Hanover, ONMarch 22, 2015
Was a good place for volunteering, Co workers were pleasant and was a nice environment. Interesting to see some of the stuff that was brought in/donated.
Volunteer
Customer Service (Former Employee), Markham, ONMarch 14, 2015
• Organize 10 shelf of goods and posting prices
• Lead 3 employees to distribute work effectively
• Communicated with Customers to answer questions and sell products
• Assisted customers with recycling and explaining the monthly offers
Fast Paced and Exciting.
Stocker (Former Employee), Whitby, ONMarch 10, 2015
Great company to work for.

Casual fine dining with fusion twists in an eclectic menu, with wine bar and late night entertainment. Locations in Toronto and Richmond Hill.
Very productive, fast paced, fun group of fellow workers, communication with many types of people.
Truck Driver (Former Employee), Vernon, BCMarch 9, 2015
Always a different day doing new tasks. Organize every day with limited time. Travel all day in surrounding area. Support with fellow workers and meeting new people everyday. Monday to Friday only.

1 2 3 4 5

About The Salvation Army

The Salvation Army is a Christian church known for its thrift stores and charity work. It is an international movement that works – Read more

The Salvation Army Photos

Captain Kettle---Holiday Parade
This is why I worked there
feeding others