The Salvation Army Employee Reviews in Canada

Driver (Former Employee) –  Courtenay, BCMarch 15, 2016
Love the people you work with.
You make a difference in the community you work in.
Lots of room for advancement.
Great benefits.
Bad management, good benefits
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCNovember 18, 2015
I worked at Salvation Army for 2 years. The management was not the best but they did give good benefits. We had to go through raw donations and some of the things we came across were disgusting and half the time they didn't have gloves for us to wear. I even had to pick up a needle that someone had left outside of our store. Obviously I had put gloves on for this, I actually put on about three different pairs.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Bad management
Difficult but rewarding
Hostel & Front Desk worker (Former Employee) –  LondonMarch 23, 2016
Co-workers are incredible for the most part, built a solid relationship with most of them. Very team-oriented environment.
Management seems to be a little out of the loop with what it is like to actually work the floors which results in some less than helpful advice from them.
Can be a little dangerous and difficult at times but overall rewarding.
Pros
Cheap lunches/dinners, team environment
Cons
Long hours, emotionally and mentally draining
What I enjoyed working for the Salvation Army,
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BCJune 14, 2016
A typical day at work was providing customer services to Salvation Army clientele. I learned how to prioritize and organize using time management; as well as providing Customer Service. Management was good at all areas relating to Salvation Army services offered and treated the employees well. The newer co workers weren't as educated in the Salvation Army Services long term employees but when any question arrived the Salvation Management team had patience in explaining and showing how to do the task at hand. I didn't find difficulties with the job. The most enjoyable part of the job was building friendship as well as providing services to the community.
Pros
Great people and decent pay
Cons
Miscommuncation sometimes.
great carrer base for people who wish to be in costomer service
Assitant Manager (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCJuly 18, 2016
A day at work is to prepare the daily task ,due to working with donations ,employees ,volunteers and community workers as well as guest\customers.
I have learned to be patient ,working for and being around the less fortunate, i was an auctioneer as well, as many problem solving solver for issues within the store witch as kept me humble/modest
the hardest part of the job was the salary was making 29000/year witch was not sufficient or equivalent to the daily workload on feet 9hours a day ,many lifting of items more than 45lbs,
Most enjoyable part of the job was making a difference in someones filling a new home with furniture ,giving back to the community 93% of profit,helping new immigrants, fire victims, battered woman has really helped me appreciate life
Pros
genuine smiles from guest, great leaders, great benefits, sence of accomplishments
Cons
low salary, high dangerous variable costumer issues
productive and fun experience helping the community and church group.
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  London, ONJuly 24, 2016
I mostly have experience providing volunteer service to the community. I was always on the go for helping people with questions and helping them figure out what they had to do. I learned to communicate efficiently with basically customers of all ages and my co-workers as well. I also learned to work in a fast paced environment where there was always someone in need of what I could offer. I easily adapt to a new environment with new people and always try to work the best of me at all times. I always enjoyed working with people and proving my service to customers.
Pros
had fun helping and communicating with others
Cons
no salary
Friendly and Enjoyable Environment
SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMay 5, 2016
My typical day at work includes a short meeting at the beginning of my shift. This meeting usually discusses our daily budget, monthly quota, any health and safety concerns, and the assignment of positions and tasks for each individual. I would have to say working at the Salvation Army has taught me primarily how to properly handle an uncomfortable or stressful situation, both with co-workers and guests. The hardest part of this job is making the most with the resources that are given as Salvation Army is an organization, which has its limitations. The most rewarding part of the job is seeing the positive impact we make on our community and families!
Pros
The diversity of my co-workers and guests.
Cons
Travel distance and time.
very satisfying
Officer (Former Employee) –  different placesSeptember 25, 2015
Working with The Salvation Army, I could not even explain how a typical day would be, because every day was different.. from being in charge for office work, to youth programs, seniors groups, sunday preparation, organizing events.. very busy, but very rewarding
Pros
great benefits
Cons
Easy place to work hard.
Anchorage Addictions Counselor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 14, 2016
A typical work day started at 08:00 and completed at 16:00. A lot of the skills I learned in the network administrator course were reinforced through the problem diagnostic and problem resolution process. I learned a lot about BlackBerry's and their use in government. Keeping track of the various problems and resolution is important since these problems repeat themselves. Remaining approachable with my coworkers is very important in keeping a positive team effort. The hardest part of the job was learning the proprietary government software. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people I worked with, they are very professional and genuinely good people. It was easy to work hard in that environment.
Pros
The people I worked with.
Cons
Only three month term contracts.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJuly 20, 2016
Your main job is to short clothes in the front of the store and as well as in the back. I have learned that one needs to be able to get used to being on ones feet for a long time and as well as communicating with the rest of the employees effectively. The management told us what is needed to be done by the end of the day. My co-workers were friendly and helpful individuals. The hardest part of the job was being on my feet for long hours. I really enjoyed working with my co-workers, they were helpful and understanding.
Pros
Breaks are fairly good
Cons
Being on your feet for long hours
Dynamic, Fluctuating Workplace
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  Courtenay, BCFebruary 4, 2016
A typical day involves the receiving, sorting, and pricing of donations which can range from clothes, books and housewares, to furniture, mattresses, and dressers.
The rate at which you work fluctuates often as it is almost entirely dependent on the amount of donations that are being received and the rate at which items are being sold. This requires a lot of adaptability and thinking on your toes, which may work for some, but not for others.
The hardest part of this job is having to sort through all the garbage and useless junk that often comes with donations.
The most enjoyable part of this job is definitely the satisfaction of having helped someone who was in need.
Pros
Helping those in need
Cons
Excessive garbage, sub-par management
Challenging, Christian, Child Care Environment
In Cabin Counselor (Former Employee) –  Gibsons, BCOctober 5, 2015
Dynamic atmosphere while working with young kids, yet constant in the practice of procedure. Compensation is too little for such long in-cabin hours.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Long Hours
A Good Work Experience
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONApril 26, 2016
Overall, my experience with volunteering at the Salvation Army was a positive one; I learned how to efficiently fold and hang up clothing in a presentable manner. The store was managed very well and all information regarding my tasks was relayed to me clearly. As my experience at the Salvation Army was volunteer work, co-workers were inconsistent, however everyone seemed to be in good spirits and I got along with everyone with no issues. The hardest part of the job was having to remain on my feet for hours at a time, however, I quickly adjusted and managed well. Overall, volunteering was great practice for a potential retail position in the future.
Very Fast Paced Job.
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  London, ONJune 16, 2016
Not a job where i can keep up running on my feet as fast as everyone else. so time to move on and find something more suitable, a typical day at work. start off with a huge bag of donated clothes, and sort through dirty smelly and clean clothes. and pick the best Quality Clothing and to be hung and tagged, by 5:15 and you must be able to find at least 2000 pieces a day or more depending on what donations they receive.
Cons
Sore feet and body at the end of the day
A fun workplace with a lot of variety.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMarch 23, 2016
Salvation Army was one of the best workplaces I had worked for.
Even though it was only a summer job, I had enjoyed learning in practice about accounting, saw for the first time a balanced sheet,
took part in the staff meeting and enjoyed my co-workers jokes.
Both management and staff were very inclusive of me, and also very helpful professionally.
Fast paced, friendly environment with everyday opportunites to learn something new.
Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBFebruary 9, 2016
There is no such thing as a typical day of work at the Salvation Army. Some days you spend your whole day on the till and assisting customers. Others you would be running around taking donations, and insuring the store remained in good condition. I am thankful for the opportunity to work here as i got to learn may things about all the different products that have come to us in donations. My co-works were friendly and always ready to lend a hand for those in need. Sometimes it became difficult to keep up with the large volumes of the customers but ironically it also became one of my favorite parts of the job.Above all else there was a real satisfaction in giving back to you community,
very human experiences every day
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Chilliwack. b.c.February 12, 2016
serving breakfast and chatting with clientele
discussing possibilities and days events with clientele
problem solving, finding answers, defusing frustration from escalating
verbalizing options of clients and finding avenues for them to follow.
filing, telephone calls, data entry,
interviewing and assessing situations and conditions of people in the moment
calling appropriate agencies, looking up on line for information
in-taking whilst being unprejudiced, non- judgmental or indifferent
showing a compassionate and empathetic attitude, both with body language and voice tones
ensuring safety and cleanliness was upheld, both by staff as well as clientele
being honest and straightforward
Pros
enjoyed the daily challanges, with working amoungst the homeless
Cons
found that after almost 6 years, i was becoming detached and a bit sceptic of others...
Great Place to Volunteer
Volunteer Clothing Racker (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONMarch 27, 2016
- Go into Salvation Army Thrift Store
- I learned how to be patient with customers
- The Management team was amazing
- Co-Workers were also great
- There was no hard part
- The most enjoyable part of volunteering was helping out and making the customers feel good about themselves
Pros
Great Staff
Cons
food bank drop in centre
Food insecurity Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 1, 2016
This is a food bank and community organization agency which feeds the blight of the community and people that are in poverty. Also they help with referrals in other agencies.Such as housing and shelters and transitional housing. or ontario works.
Pros
feed the community
Cons
not open on saturdays.
Fun workplace with amazing people!
Donation attendent (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ONAugust 22, 2016
This job has its ups and downs just like any other job. They don't pay the greatest but the people are the ones who are down to earth. Over all the work environment with great and everyone is treated the same!
Pros
Great people and okay shifts!
Cons
Long hours!

The Salvation Army Reviews by Location