The Salvation Army Employee Reviews

Genuinely caring people
Strategy & Change Consultant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 18, 2016
The staff and managers are great to work with. The salary levels are low but the flexibility and ability to work from home are great.
great people that I worked with
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCSeptember 18, 2016
Opened and closed the cash registers
Daily upkeep of the store
Customer service
Learned to help customers and work with employees in a mmore productive way.
Really got along with the employees there.
Hardest part was the repetitiveness of the physical work.
Interacting with the customers and co workers was enjoyable!
Pros
enjoyed interacting with co workers
Cons
repetitive work
Fun place to work
Cashier/ Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BCSeptember 17, 2016
Co-wokers I enjoy very much
I enjoy every aspect. The management team is good and I like coming to work. I wish I got paid more but what can you do when the CEO only makes 27,000 a year because we give back to the community.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Minium wage
Camp: A Balance of Life Skills and Workplace fun
Cook's Helper (Former Employee) –  Thorburn, NSSeptember 1, 2016
Scotian Glen Camp is the best place to start your working career. This camp that is operated by the Salvation Army is a camp where kids from all over the maritimes enjoy an entire week at camp. I have experience in three different job positions there: Kitchen Support, Cabin Counselor and Cook's Helper. A typical day at work would be long hours, but with the help of my team it was a productive day. It was always fast-paced which I enjoyed. I learned about time management, communication and patience. Most importantly, I learned to enjoy my positions not just for the pay, but for the experiences and fun that it entailed. I found some of the managements I had were tougher than others; however, it was all good learning experiences. Depending on the job, I found at times some of my co-workers would be slacking off and I would have to pull their weight. Other than that, always a great team. The hardest part about my job is when I would have children that would not listen. The best way I responded to that is that I would keep my patience, and find alternative ways to solve the problems. Communication skills played a big role in solving problems at camp. The most enjoyable part of my job is to see how my hard work played a role in the lives of the kids attending the camp.
Pros
Free living, free food, spiritual guidance
Cons
Long hours, stressful
Collecting donations for a good cause.
Kettle Attendant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONSeptember 1, 2016
My job as a kettle attendant involved manning the Salvation Army where people made donations. I also had to incentive people to donate money to a worthy cause - by explaining how the Salvation Army in Ottawa helps the homeless and disenfranchised.
very beneficial job
Bell Ringer (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ONAugust 25, 2016
This job was one of the best I've had even though I didn't work there long. This job gives a you a sense of feeling like you're really doing something to help the community and often times didn't even fee like a job.
Fun workplace with amazing people!
Donation attendent (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ONAugust 22, 2016
This job has its ups and downs just like any other job. They don't pay the greatest but the people are the ones who are down to earth. Over all the work environment with great and everyone is treated the same!
Pros
Great people and okay shifts!
Cons
Long hours!
Fun environment
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 18, 2016
A typical day at work is fun well productive. There are always new faces and new finds.Everyone is friendly and encourages one another to bring forth their bests.
Housekeeper/Kitchen Helper (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABAugust 4, 2016
I've always wanted to work in a kitchen, Salvation Army made that possible. I will always be grateful for them and all the experience they gave me.
I enjoyed working with these friendly, fun, and hardworking co-workers, being trained by them, and enjoying all the work and experiences involved work
Helper (Former Employee) –  Smithers, BCJuly 26, 2016
I enjoyed working with my co-workers, meeting new people, and the way they expressed their appreciation for the work I did.
productive and fun experience helping the community and church group.
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  London, ONJuly 24, 2016
I mostly have experience providing volunteer service to the community. I was always on the go for helping people with questions and helping them figure out what they had to do. I learned to communicate efficiently with basically customers of all ages and my co-workers as well. I also learned to work in a fast paced environment where there was always someone in need of what I could offer. I easily adapt to a new environment with new people and always try to work the best of me at all times. I always enjoyed working with people and proving my service to customers.
Pros
had fun helping and communicating with others
Cons
no salary
No benefits
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJuly 23, 2016
Cleaned the store in morning, had great co-workers, worked has a cashier/sales associate, customer service. A good place to work
Pros
Got great stuff donated
Cons
No full time positions
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJuly 20, 2016
Your main job is to short clothes in the front of the store and as well as in the back. I have learned that one needs to be able to get used to being on ones feet for a long time and as well as communicating with the rest of the employees effectively. The management told us what is needed to be done by the end of the day. My co-workers were friendly and helpful individuals. The hardest part of the job was being on my feet for long hours. I really enjoyed working with my co-workers, they were helpful and understanding.
Pros
Breaks are fairly good
Cons
Being on your feet for long hours
Great place to work.
Maintenance Worker (Current Employee) –  Toronto, OntarioJuly 18, 2016
I truly enjoy working at the Salvation Army. My co-workers are like family and helping people to help others recover from their addictions is very rewarding.
Pros
Great place to work.
Cons
Only part-time employment.
great carrer base for people who wish to be in costomer service
Assitant Manager (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCJuly 18, 2016
A day at work is to prepare the daily task ,due to working with donations ,employees ,volunteers and community workers as well as guest\customers.
I have learned to be patient ,working for and being around the less fortunate, i was an auctioneer as well, as many problem solving solver for issues within the store witch as kept me humble/modest
the hardest part of the job was the salary was making 29000/year witch was not sufficient or equivalent to the daily workload on feet 9hours a day ,many lifting of items more than 45lbs,
Most enjoyable part of the job was making a difference in someones filling a new home with furniture ,giving back to the community 93% of profit,helping new immigrants, fire victims, battered woman has really helped me appreciate life
Pros
genuine smiles from guest, great leaders, great benefits, sence of accomplishments
Cons
low salary, high dangerous variable costumer issues
Productive work place
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ONJuly 14, 2016
An excellent place to work. The staff are friendly, and bubbly and willing to help where necessary.
I love working with these people....and would love to work with them again in the future.
Pros
lots of room for advancement
Cons
some long shifts
food bank drop in centre
Food insecurity Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 1, 2016
This is a food bank and community organization agency which feeds the blight of the community and people that are in poverty. Also they help with referrals in other agencies.Such as housing and shelters and transitional housing. or ontario works.
Pros
feed the community
Cons
not open on saturdays.
Pretty Good overall
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Bells Corners, ONJune 30, 2016
Simple work, safe, but some customers can be on the annoying side, other than that can't complain. Learned general people skills as well as organisation.
Pros
Easy work
Cons
Easy work
Good experience
Volunteered at Salvation Army (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 22, 2016
Good experience for me to volunteer and work in salvation army
• Handed out sandwiches to the underprivileged in the Salvation Army shelter
Productive team
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJune 21, 2016
I used to worked full time with Salvation Army before I back to school. I enjoyed my worked as being with the team. I worked with incredible team that was my enjoyable part of my job.
Pros
Good team work
Cons
Some time needed to work in donation alone.

The Salvation Army Reviews by Location