The Restaurant Group Employee Reviews

Fun environment
Supervisor/Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear7 October 2017
The restaurant group was a fun place to work with some good benefits and flexible working hours. Management were fair and capable and there was a good atmosphere.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
unsociable hours
Busy and fun place
Accountant (Current Employee) –  Hamden, CT4 October 2017
I was asked to update 5 sets of books for 4 years that had gotten behind. The information was incomplete and sometimes impossible to review. The supportive documents were not always in place
Pros
Work Freely
Cons
lack of information
enjoyable place to work
Busser (Former Employee) –  Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire11 September 2017
Through this job I learned that you must be prepared to deal with whatever the public may be able to throw at you while working in hospitality, especially when in a managerial position. Often the most enjoyable thing of working with the restaurant group is the people you work with as you can come away from working in one of their restaurants with many friends. the hardest part by far is the days when you are short on staff and its stupidly busy and you start to get complaints as you must be ready to work doubly hard, you cannot slack in the hospitality industry.
Pros
free lunch, great management structure
Cons
long hours on your feet
great job
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester9 August 2017
I been working for many years and wanted to get more experience in other businesses (restaurants) to gain wider experience in my management skills and ability.
disgusting work environment.
Barista Maestro (Former Employee) –  Southampton Airport5 August 2017
Worst company I have worked for. They treat you like dirt. You work long hours, with no staff, and 1000's of passengers passing through. very little support throughout and abysmal training.
A great team within restaurants
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Hertfordshire3 August 2017
The restaurant group started well but I now feel are losing touch with what they stand for THE GUESTS by cutting labour and saving money when you should be spending all the money possible to be providing your guests with the service and level of hospitaliy they expect!
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Long house
Friendly and pleasant place
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Stanstead, Suffolk19 May 2017
Work atmosphere was pretty pleasant. Amazing people and good salary. All workers were providing the highest customer service. Working hours are flexible.
Its okay
Front of House (Current Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow24 March 2017
Fair enough, helps you if you help them.
Decent amount of hours if you ask for them.
Enjoyable workplace though the structure of management could be improved slightly.
Overall? They're pretty good to work for if you just look at the pros and if you don't let the cons get to you.
Pros
Decent hours
Joke of a company
Waiter/Barman (Former Employee) –  North20 March 2017
No organisation poor restaurant manager and area manager treat all staff very poorly short staffed managers sit in the office all day poor food hygiene
Terrible place to work
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh24 February 2017
Absolutely the worst job Iv ever had,
treated like garbage.
Unpredictable Rotas... 0hr contracts aren't going to help pay the bills!
I am so happy im away from that place.
Frankie and bennys fort kinnaird will slowly get shut down with how awful it has became.
Management are an absolute joke, including Area managers.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Almost everything
Good opportunity and good skills learnt
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, UK23 February 2017
A typical evening shift began with setting up my section for the evening and taking over tables within my section from other servers. As more guests came in I would tend to my section and make sure everyone was happy and if they weren't then I would do everything in my power to rectify any problems.

I learned to become very good a time management and organisation. I also learned the importance of teamwork in keeping the business flowing well and being successful.

The management was fairly well run. However, one or two managers I felt were a little over critical and occasionally unprofessional but the restaurant worked well and everything was usually organised.

The workplace was often a very stressful environment when it was busy but I learned to handle this well and use it to my advantage. The team were all very friendly and helpful too.

The hardest part of this job was dealing with tricky guests, particularly at busy times, and trying my best to impress those who did not care. Treatment by guests was occasionally difficult to deal with but was made better by guests who complimented me on my hard work. This was the most enjoyable part of the job, along with having a great team of people around helping.
Transition period
Programme Manager (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London8 January 2017
With a new CEO, CFO, CMO, HR Director, Property Direct and Brand MD - not to mention a complete new Exec all within the space of 6 months, it is fair to mention TRG is in a period of turmoil and transition.

There's a lot of nervousness about, which in turn is leading to poor behaviours and knee-jerk decisions - not conducive to making the improvements this company desperately needs.
Pros
good opportunities in the longer term once things stabilise
Cons
lack of strategic thinking. Lots of silos
Unpredictable
Grill Chef (Current Employee) –  Talbot green1 December 2016
Nice place to work with a very high paced kitchen, the only down side is there is not enough time to train new starters forcing a strain on all other staff
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Breaks to long
Poor pay, ridiculously long hours..
Deputy Manager (Former Employee) –  Derby29 October 2016
They were initially quite fair to work for, then wanted unrealistic budgets and targets from you, I had a good kitchen team and floor staff but higher managers were rude and aggressive.. the hours were so long, 11-12 hour days were gruelling and hard.. you want to be able to love your job and not to be treated like a workhorse..
Pros
Discount
Cons
Long hours, poor pay, ridiculous targets
Horrible
Waiter (Current Employee) –  Ipswich28 October 2016
Rubbish place to work.. don't be fooled when the advertise £7.20-£9 per hour.. £7.20 is about all you'll get. Along with either 0 hour contracts or 12 hour contracts which are a load of rubbish and hours are always cut because they want to save labour. It'/ supposed to be all about guest experience but how can you provide a good experience when you are short staffed due to labour cuts?
Pros
Free food
Fast paced
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Sheffield18 October 2016
Fun and vibrant workplace.
Lots of chances to advance.
A huge company but still very personal interaction with upper echelons
Pros
Working with a close team
Amazing place to work
Trainee Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Stoke-on-Trent10 September 2016
I received the opportunity of supervisor training.
The responsibility of looking after mass amounts of money each day.
Pros
33% off any TRG groups
Cons
some short breaks on long hours
Good Branded Restaurant experience.
Manager at Frankie & Benny's (Current Employee) –  London15 July 2016
Very Good environment for developing your skills in people and complaints management. They offer development at all levels and when you reach a management role the salary is very good. The team members make very good tips and it's easy for the management team to motivate them.
Pros
Free meal on duty, joyful environment, pleasant staff, good tips
Restaurant Group
Waiting Staff (Former Employee) –  Bolton21 June 2016
I would usually walk in and be told what I'm doing that day such as cleaning tables or waiting or running food and drinks. The more I did the better I got and the staff generally tried to help me learn. However, there was a problem with my wage as I was rarely paid on time.
Chiquito
Waiter (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury8 March 2016
16 hour a week contract is altered at short notice. You end up earning far less than the dole money ! Management make sure they have plenty of hours, even two management on the same shift ( not great business sense ) . When 4 staff leave in 2 weeks and chefs are being brought in from miles away, it says it all . Your business is as good as the staff you employ ! Staff here are dictated to, picked on ! Get rid of the management here and you may do well as you have better run restaurants on your door step ... Shrewsbury establishment wrote on behalf of a family member
Pros
Cons
16 hours contracted can become 2 !

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Restaurant Group. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8