The Restaurant Group Employee Reviews

Good Branded Restaurant experience.
Manager at Frankie & Benny's (Current Employee) –  LondonJuly 15, 2016
Very Good environment for developing your skills in people and complaints management. They offer development at all levels and when you reach a management role the salary is very good. The team members make very good tips and it's easy for the management team to motivate them.
Pros
Free meal on duty, joyful environment, pleasant staff, good tips
Chiquito
Waiter (Former Employee) –  ShrewsburyMarch 8, 2016
16 hour a week contract is altered at short notice. You end up earning far less than the dole money ! Management make sure they have plenty of hours, even two management on the same shift ( not great business sense ) . When 4 staff leave in 2 weeks and chefs are being brought in from miles away, it says it all . Your business is as good as the staff you employ ! Staff here are dictated to, picked on ! Get rid of the management here and you may do well as you have better run restaurants on your door step ... Shrewsbury establishment wrote on behalf of a family member
Pros
Cons
16 hours contracted can become 2 !
Bar Staff (Current Employee) –  LondonDecember 6, 2015
It is very productive working for the TRG. the venue where I'm working in calls The Hourglass, it is located right inside of the Manchester Piccadilly Train Station. This a great location to meet many different people everyday and make new links in any sector of our society.
Pros
Interaction with different people from different backgrounds
Cons
Restrictive in terms of floor plan space
Good Place To Work
Bartender (Current Employee) –  Watford, ENGNovember 10, 2015
Friendly company and very good for a first job or for students on a gap year. Management are usually friendly and willing to help.
Average
Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee) –  RugbyOctober 31, 2015
My personal review of the company............ The staff are really great to get on with and can have a bit of banter and a laugh... My job role, there is nothing to say really.... Felt really hard settling in and there wasn't any training offered at all, which is very disappointing.
Pros
No Pros
Cons
Varied shift
Brilliant but then rubbish..
Busser (Former Employee) –  HorwichOctober 30, 2015
When I first started working for this brand it was a brand new restaurant opening. I had amazing training and amazing managers. Working there was brilliant, I really enjoyed myself. 9 months and ten zillion new managers later, I found myself in the midst of a restaurant that cared only about profit. The love of customer service was out the window and the managers picked on every single little thing you did. The 'culture of genuine hospitality' was well and truly diminished in a grand total of 9 months. So I left, because customer service is everything to me! Unfortunately the manager that was there caused many people to leave.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Managers come and go very quickly
fun and creative daily operation
Director (Former Employee) –  Sydney, NSWOctober 1, 2015
Busy work place , consisted team work, repeated customer and healthy environment
professional and supportive management , flexible policy
creative and growing company
high demanding fun workplace
Restaurant Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Durham, ENGJune 11, 2015
This is a brilliant part - time job for younger people, however a career with the restaurant group endures a stressful antisocial time, long shifts and high amount of hours mean a lack of social activity. Weekend social activity is lost!
Pros
free lunch/tea
Long term employee
Area Manager (Current Employee) –  ScotlandJanuary 7, 2015
I worked for TRG for 16 years. I held most operational positions to up to and including the position of Area Manager.

Its fair to say I grew with the company who were often a little behind the pace of other companies in terms of benefits etc. But I worked with a lot of great people which is what kept me there for so long.
Pros
trg benefits. advancement
Cons
54 hour contract.
Worst company to work for.
Deputy manager and then waitress (Former Employee) –  EdinburghNovember 17, 2014
You are constantly told how bad you are at your job even though you are doing the best you can when you are running around like an idiot because there is no staff. Job is constantly threatened by area managers and above. Paid minimum wage for maximum stress. Food is all cheap frozen stuff that you're expected to be passionate about selling. A horrible place to work.
Cons
stress, no job security, no money, i can go on and on
Terrible Company, Terrible Culture
middle management (Former Employee) –  Frankie and Benny'sOctober 19, 2014
Terrible management, staff pushed to the limit and no happy work life balance due to working excessive hours. Senior Management behavior is a disgrace. No praise for doing well, just constant criticism. Staff morale at an all time low.
Pros
free food for staff
Cons
long long hours and constant criticism
A place to enjoy people and improve selling and time management techniques
Server (Current Employee) –  Leicester, ENGApril 5, 2014
I received a comprehensive welcome pack with lots of information about the company and the task I will be performing. The team members were welcoming and happy to help.

A typical day of work for me (working part time weekends only) would be starting at 6pm until midnight supporting the restaurant at busy periods; so this would be ideal for you if you thrill under pressure. At the start of my shift I would be assigned a number of tables to be responsible for. At all times I would need to follow a stablished methodology that will guarantee that the company standards are met.

I learned plenty of things... from honing my customer service, time management and teamwork skills... to adapt to new challenges and new ways to manage the restaurant.

With the new arrival of a new duty manager and the change of some targets the restaurant has turned into an extreme competitive place; however co-workers still make it fun to work there and the customers and group deserve receiving my best efforts.

The hardest part of the job is when all customers require attention at the same time and you need to prioritise and get to the point in order to serve all them in a record time.

The most enjoyable part of the job happens when you have some spare time to talk to customers or colleges and understand their point of view about relevant issues.
Pros
company culture
Cons
unsecured hours
Place has went to pot !
Deputy general manager (Former Employee) –  ManchesterJanuary 17, 2014
I worked here for 9 years , when I started it was a great company , when I left summer of last year it was because the company no longer cares about staff or management , CEO is only concerned about profit.. Tight labour control means delivering a poor service to customers and then staff get disciplined for poor mystery guest scores , also recently found out this company pay large bonuses to directors in order to avoid paying tax on salaries, for years they paid waiting staff with their own gratuities , if you want no respect , terrible pay and lots of stress apply now.
Cons
everything
horrible horrible place
deputy mamager (former) (Former Employee) –  londonJanuary 15, 2014
A typical day is 7am start to 10pm close. Yes that's a 15 hour shift, now imagine doing that 3 days a week and then starting at midday and closing (which is around 2am) for the other 2 days.

That's what they call work, the best way to put is that the company want to suck your blood dry. You're put on a 54 hour contract the biggest of its kind in restaurants.

When or if you apply always add 5k to your current salary so when working there you will at least get your moneys worth. As a deputy I was paid 25k but there were deputies who were paid 20k based on their negotiations.

In a nutshell the company is a joke, and will take over your life. Also I never had a weekend off in 2 years of work
Cons
everything! !
staff disrespected
waitress (Current Employee) –  chichesterJanuary 11, 2014
Management care only about figures. Under massive pressure to upsell. Disciplinary for getting 3 out of 5 stars from mystery diner despite the write up saying I provided impeccable service. 12/14 hour shifts. Sent on 1-5 hour breaks to save labour. Unreliable shifts. Over managed on the floor. Treated like idiots. Wages always wrong. Smoking incurs 15 minutes docked from wages. Not the fun place to work that it should be. Recently lost 9 staff members including assistant manager and 3 more leaving next week. This doesn't worry them as their theory is we are all easily replaced.......
Pros
colleagues all in same misery
Cons
no respect
Takes over your life
Manager (Former Employee) –  ScotlandSeptember 26, 2013
Takes over your life the company is their life so should it be yours...no work life balance. Get nothing back in return. Training is excellent and advancment opportunities is great. Meet loads of ppl which is great
Pros
free lunch
Cons
takes over your life
horrible place to work!
Host (Former Employee) –  east midlands airportSeptember 25, 2013
Only worked at the east midlands branch for a couple of shifts! didnt get shown around to meet and greet anyone, wasnt told who or what i was to be doing. the manager even said 'who the bloody hell are you' infront of everyone!! not proffessional at all. Kept getting shouted out for not doing the job properly yet had no guidance or assistance! absolute joke of a place to work.
Pros
free lunch.
Cons
long hours! i did 3am-12pm
N/A
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 5, 2012
Owner has made business his life and expects everyone else to do so, but it has definitely paid off. company is growing and making money.
Colleagues were supportive, enjoyed our work environment and were committed to excellence.
restaurant manager (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTOctober 14, 2012
This position was instrumental in learning the value of training, motivational skills and teamwork.
Pros
excellent job training and recruitment of staff. owners provided support.
Cons
long shifts, as expected.
I could learn a new thing: make a coffee. It was a fun,friendly team.
Barista-Team member (Former Employee) –  Birmingham AirportJuly 10, 2012
I was worked there since 2008 and for me it was new experience,i was worry do I right be here,what about coffee-can I be good,what about when is busy? But I was very happy,the team was fine,friendly,hard working.When I did morning shift it was start at 6am till 2pm i should check a temperature in sandwiches,milks,cakes etc. We have a 2 or 3 staff and we share a job: one of us take a till,second a coffee machine,and third a floor. it was clear for us what to do then we try to help each other if one of us was too busy.I was missed only a music because i love hear a music.My manager was a great person,friendly,smile all the time,I can talk to him about life,work.I am very proud myself because i learned making coffee,my customer like me much,always said to my manager i am a smile face.I was happy.
Pros
i had a free lunch at work.
Cons
when i was a single i did sometimes a long shift 6am till 10pm

2.7