The Restaurant Group Employee Reviews

Poor pay, ridiculously long hours..
Deputy Manager (Former Employee) –  Derby29 October 2016
They were initially quite fair to work for, then wanted unrealistic budgets and targets from you, I had a good kitchen team and floor staff but higher managers were rude and aggressive.. the hours were so long, 11-12 hour days were gruelling and hard.. you want to be able to love your job and not to be treated like a workhorse..
Pros
Discount
Cons
Long hours, poor pay, ridiculous targets
Horrible
Waiter (Current Employee) –  Ipswich28 October 2016
Rubbish place to work.. don't be fooled when the advertise £7.20-£9 per hour.. £7.20 is about all you'll get. Along with either 0 hour contracts or 12 hour contracts which are a load of rubbish and hours are always cut because they want to save labour. It'/ supposed to be all about guest experience but how can you provide a good experience when you are short staffed due to labour cuts?
Pros
Free food
Cons
Good Branded Restaurant experience.
Manager at Frankie & Benny's (Current Employee) –  London15 July 2016
Very Good environment for developing your skills in people and complaints management. They offer development at all levels and when you reach a management role the salary is very good. The team members make very good tips and it's easy for the management team to motivate them.
Pros
Free meal on duty, joyful environment, pleasant staff, good tips
Unpredictable
Grill Chef (Current Employee) –  Talbot green1 December 2016
Nice place to work with a very high paced kitchen, the only down side is there is not enough time to train new starters forcing a strain on all other staff
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Breaks to long
Amazing place to work
Trainee Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Stoke-on-Trent10 September 2016
I received the opportunity of supervisor training.
The responsibility of looking after mass amounts of money each day.
Pros
33% off any TRG groups
Cons
some short breaks on long hours
Fast paced
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Sheffield18 October 2016
Fun and vibrant workplace.
Lots of chances to advance.
A huge company but still very personal interaction with upper echelons
Pros
Working with a close team
Restaurant Group
Waiting Staff (Former Employee) –  Bolton21 June 2016
I would usually walk in and be told what I'm doing that day such as cleaning tables or waiting or running food and drinks. The more I did the better I got and the staff generally tried to help me learn. However, there was a problem with my wage as I was rarely paid on time.
Chiquito
Waiter (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury8 March 2016
16 hour a week contract is altered at short notice. You end up earning far less than the dole money ! Management make sure they have plenty of hours, even two management on the same shift ( not great business sense ) . When 4 staff leave in 2 weeks and chefs are being brought in from miles away, it says it all . Your business is as good as the staff you employ ! Staff here are dictated to, picked on ! Get rid of the management here and you may do well as you have better run restaurants on your door step ... Shrewsbury establishment wrote on behalf of a family member
Pros
Cons
16 hours contracted can become 2 !
Bar Staff (Current Employee) –  London6 December 2015
It is very productive working for the TRG. the venue where I'm working in calls The Hourglass, it is located right inside of the Manchester Piccadilly Train Station. This a great location to meet many different people everyday and make new links in any sector of our society.
Pros
Interaction with different people from different backgrounds
Cons
Restrictive in terms of floor plan space
Brilliant but then rubbish..
Busser (Former Employee) –  Horwich30 October 2015
When I first started working for this brand it was a brand new restaurant opening. I had amazing training and amazing managers. Working there was brilliant, I really enjoyed myself. 9 months and ten zillion new managers later, I found myself in the midst of a restaurant that cared only about profit. The love of customer service was out the window and the managers picked on every single little thing you did. The 'culture of genuine hospitality' was well and truly diminished in a grand total of 9 months. So I left, because customer service is everything to me! Unfortunately the manager that was there caused many people to leave.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Managers come and go very quickly
Average
Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rugby31 October 2015
My personal review of the company............ The staff are really great to get on with and can have a bit of banter and a laugh... My job role, there is nothing to say really.... Felt really hard settling in and there wasn't any training offered at all, which is very disappointing.
Pros
No Pros
Cons
Varied shift
Worst company to work for.
Deputy manager and then waitress (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh17 November 2014
You are constantly told how bad you are at your job even though you are doing the best you can when you are running around like an idiot because there is no staff. Job is constantly threatened by area managers and above. Paid minimum wage for maximum stress. Food is all cheap frozen stuff that you're expected to be passionate about selling. A horrible place to work.
Pros
Cons
Stress, no job security, no money, I can go on and on
horrible horrible place
deputy mamager (former) (Former Employee) –  london15 January 2014
A typical day is 7am start to 10pm close. Yes that's a 15 hour shift, now imagine doing that 3 days a week and then starting at midday and closing (which is around 2am) for the other 2 days.

That's what they call work, the best way to put is that the company want to suck your blood dry. You're put on a 54 hour contract the biggest of its kind in restaurants.

When or if you apply always add 5k to your current salary so when working there you will at least get your moneys worth. As a deputy I was paid 25k but there were deputies who were paid 20k based on their negotiations.

In a nutshell the company is a joke, and will take over your life. Also I never had a weekend off in 2 years of work
Pros
Cons
everything! !
staff disrespected
waitress (Current Employee) –  chichester11 January 2014
Management care only about figures. Under massive pressure to upsell. Disciplinary for getting 3 out of 5 stars from mystery diner despite the write up saying I provided impeccable service. 12/14 hour shifts. Sent on 1-5 hour breaks to save labour. Unreliable shifts. Over managed on the floor. Treated like idiots. Wages always wrong. Smoking incurs 15 minutes docked from wages. Not the fun place to work that it should be. Recently lost 9 staff members including assistant manager and 3 more leaving next week. This doesn't worry them as their theory is we are all easily replaced.......
Pros
colleagues all in same misery
Cons
no respect
Place has went to pot !
Deputy general manager (Former Employee) –  Manchester17 January 2014
I worked here for 9 years , when I started it was a great company , when I left summer of last year it was because the company no longer cares about staff or management , CEO is only concerned about profit.. Tight labour control means delivering a poor service to customers and then staff get disciplined for poor mystery guest scores , also recently found out this company pay large bonuses to directors in order to avoid paying tax on salaries, for years they paid waiting staff with their own gratuities , if you want no respect , terrible pay and lots of stress apply now.
high demanding fun workplace
Restaurant Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Durham, ENG11 June 2015
This is a brilliant part - time job for younger people, however a career with the restaurant group endures a stressful antisocial time, long shifts and high amount of hours mean a lack of social activity. Weekend social activity is lost!
Pros
free lunch/tea
Cons
fun and creative daily operation
Director (Former Employee) –  Sydney, NSW1 October 2015
Busy work place , consisted team work, repeated customer and healthy environment
professional and supportive management , flexible policy
creative and growing company
Long term employee
Area Manager (Current Employee) –  Scotland7 January 2015
I worked for TRG for 16 years. I held most operational positions to up to and including the position of Area Manager.

Its fair to say I grew with the company who were often a little behind the pace of other companies in terms of benefits etc. But I worked with a lot of great people which is what kept me there for so long.
Pros
TRG Benefits. Advancement
Cons
54 Hour contract.
horrible place to work!
Host (Former Employee) –  east midlands airport25 September 2013
Only worked at the east midlands branch for a couple of shifts! didnt get shown around to meet and greet anyone, wasnt told who or what i was to be doing. the manager even said 'who the bloody hell are you' infront of everyone!! not proffessional at all. Kept getting shouted out for not doing the job properly yet had no guidance or assistance! absolute joke of a place to work.
Pros
free lunch.
Cons
long hours! i did 3am-12pm
Good Place To Work
Bartender (Current Employee) –  Watford, ENG10 November 2015
Friendly company and very good for a first job or for students on a gap year. Management are usually friendly and willing to help.

2.6