The Reading Network is seeking skilled, caring individuals to provide one-to-one reading instruction to people with reading difficulties online, on a contract basis. This is an opportunity for individuals with a passion for literacy and a commitment to students to join us in our mission of enabling people at risk of low reading achievement to reach their full potential.
Major Responsibilities include:
- use of The Reading Network instructional program and online delivery system to provide
weekly instruction to students
- providing instruction that considers individual strengths and weaknesses
- making TRN materials available to parents to work with their child between lessons, and any
individualized materials the instructor feels are appropriate available to parents, via our
- submitting accurate electronic records of their work with students
- conducting reading assessments (role of highly experienced instructors only)
- staying abreast of current research and information about reading difficulties and applying that
- sharing knowledge/experience with colleagues and benefitting from theirs
Qualifications and Experience:
- experience working with children and adults
- experience with instruction
- experience working with people with learning differences
- a university degree or college diploma in education or a related field
- certifications and additional qualifications in the teaching profession and/or educational
setting, reading, literacy and special education are preferred
Skills and abilities:
- excellent verbal and written communication skills
- skill in instruction and in building relationships
- ability to demonstrate caring and understanding for the struggles of those with learning
- computer literacy, desire/aptitude for learning new software, and comfort/skill with social
Contracted individuals will provide The Reading Network with hours of availability to instruct, on a part-time basis beginning with one hour per week, and increasing to 20-30 hours per week, as client demand for service increases. The workers' hours of availability will be determined in consultation with management. The opportunity for early morning, daytime and evening shifts exist.
Contracted individuals will work from their own home office, and require a reliable high speed internet connection and relatively up-to-date computer equipment to facilitate online instruction through our webconferencing provider, WebEx. (Computer requirements can be reviewed at www.webex.com) Training in our instructional approach and use of the software will be provided. Licenses to host webconferences and utilize all needed instructional resources will be provided by The Reading Network.
As a condition of hire the successful candidate will be required to submit a current original Vulnerable Sector Screening or equivalent verification from the police jurisdiction in which they reside. Vulnerable sector screening documents are only valid if issued in the past six months. Applicants are not advised to obtain this document prior to an offer of employment.
For more information about our company: http://www.thereadingnetwork.com