Date: September 2014
Position: Resource Nurse
Status: Permanent, Part-time
Hours: 15 hours per week, exact hours to be determined
Start Date: Immediate
Probation Period: 3-months from start of work
Compensation: Salary is negotiable.
Benefits: This position is covered under The Centre’s benefit plan
Reports to: Executive Director
Office: #100, 1900 Richmond Road, Victoria, BC, V8R 4R2
The Prostate Centre is a non-profit organization that collaborates with community partners and researchers to support men who are concerned about their prostate health, or who have been diagnosed with prostate cancer. The Centre provides personalized counseling on treatment options, peer support meetings, public education and awareness on prostate cancer. The organization also partners with the medical and research communities to conduct studies and trials to find appropriate interventions and/or cures for prostate cancer.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
This is a permanent, part-time, (.5 full-time-equivalent (FTE)) administrative, patient care position. The incumbent will be responsible for providing guidance and support to The Centre’s patients, volunteers, community partners and staff in the following areas:
- Patient Support
- Nurse Training, Education and Recruitment
- Project Oversight for clinical trials, studies and research
- Community Engagement
The role requires occasional evening hours and some over-time to meet seasonal and/or project demands.
PRINCIPAL ACTIVITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES - This position has four main portfolios:
1. Nurse Training, Education and Recruitment
- Identifies the medical training needs of The Centre’s human resources (paid and non-paid) and coordinates the delivery of strategies and programs to ensure there is a unified and current composite of knowledge regarding local and best practices of prostate cancer treatment options, including both preventative and interventive measures
- Develops and manages an on-going plan to recruit nurse volunteers, as needed, to meet patient demand
2. Community Engagement
- Liaises and engages with healthcare professionals to ensure the medical community is aware of The Centre and its services, programs, projects and practices
- Meets with oncology and urology specialists, as well as general physicians to facilitate patient referrals, and to build strong, networks centered around the well-being of men diagnosed with prostate cancer, and prostate cancer survivorship in general
- Liaises with Prostate Cancer Canada, Movember and other national groups to keep apprised of opportunities to learn, network and share; seeks out opportunities to participate in grants and projects
Education and Awareness
- In an outreach capacity, makes presentations to a wide variety of groups that are interested in learning about men’s wellness, prostate health, prostate cancer and survivorship
- Educates individuals about prostate cancer risk, screening, and early detection, including PSA testing best practices
- Identifies opportunities to share, access or collaborate with community partners to support men’s overall health
3. Patient Support - Patients will primarily see volunteer nurses. This position will augment The Centre’s patient care services and provide counseling and support to volunteer nurses and patients with specific, complex or unusual cancer characteristics
- Establishes caring relationships with patients and caregivers to facilitate coping with prostate cancer
- Helps patients and families make informed decisions by understanding the treatment options available, as well as potential adverse effects of receiving cancer therapies
- Assists patients and their families and caregivers on how to navigate the healthcare delivery systems
- Encourages patient adherence to post-treatment care and follow-up
- Provides information on additional medical and/or supplementary health practices for overall healthy living strategies
- Educates and supports patients in self-care strategies and provides routine post-treatment follow up with patients
- Assists patients and caregivers attending the Prostate Support Association (PSA) meetings by providing on-sight counsel and/or scheduling follow up at The Centre. Attends monthly planning meetings.
These services are provided in person, via telephone, or through email contact according to the needs of the patient. Under no circumstances does the nurse provide advice, either personal or professional, which espouses a specific treatment course or practitioner choice.
4. Project Oversight
- In conjunction with the Executive Director, coordinates the activities of The Centre’s medical research projects and/or clinical studies. With a priority on meeting patient interests and quality of care:
o identifies The Centre’s scope of work within projects, managing expectations and completion of deliverables
o Recruits and counsels patients on the merits of participating in studies and research projects
o Ensures patient records are accurate, complete, managed and secured according to privacy and regulatory standards
o Captures and reports on activities, timelines, learning and outcomes of projects
o Provides recommendations, both financial and logistical, to management on project feasibility and resulting benefits to men and The Centre
- Nurse Practitioner (NP) or Registered Nurse (RN)
- Registered with the College of Registered Nurses in British Columbia
- Able to pass a criminal record check
- Have access to a reliable vehicle and hold a valid BC driver’s license
This position is ideally suited for an individual who has demonstrated experience and competencies in:
- urology, oncology or public health
- patient counseling
- working collaboratively where shared leadership is encouraged
- proven and effective public speaking skills
- a very flexible and resilient management style
- Builds collaborative, interdisciplinary relationships to provide optimal care to patients with prostate cancer
- Promotes life-long learning and evidence-based practice while continually acquiring knowledge and skills needed to improve patient care
- Recognizes the importance of participation in community and professional organizations that influence prostate cancer care
- Contributes to the knowledge base of the healthcare community through community outreach, involvement in professional organizations, presentations, publications, and participation in research
- Maintains professional competence and credentialing with the College of Nurses of British Columbia
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED
- The position requires 5+ years of experience in a role that has similar portfolios and/or accountabilities
- The incumbent must be able to empathize with patients and their difficult journey with cancer. The candidate must be comfortable in talking in an explicit way about men’s reproductive organs and intimate subjects such as sexual health, urination, etc.
- This role requires excellent time management skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills are required
- Experience working with a progressive non-profit organization is an asset
- The successful candidate will have an above-average working knowledge of Microsoft programs (MS Word, Excel, Power Point), and experience & ease in working in on-line environments (email, Facebook, etc.)
- The candidate will be adept in managing competing projects and deadlines, and perform duties with the utmost of accuracy
- Attention to detail, a sense of humor and a willingness to pitch in and learn new areas are essential
- A flexible schedule is required in order to meet certain after-hour activities and/or to complete work during peak periods. Overtime will be compensated through time off in lieu.
- All staff must sign confidentiality agreements as a condition of their employment.
- This position is eligible for company health benefits, as determined by The Board of Directors and defined annually in the budget
- This position requires semi-heavy lifting on an occasional basis
- This is a non-smoking environment
Indeed - 30+ days ago
copy to clipboard
» Apply Now
Please review all application instructions before applying.
» Apply Now
Please review all application instructions before applying.
The Prostate Centre has been named as one of only two Research and Education Centres for Prostate Cancer in Canada. As the only centre of...