The Prostate Centre is looking for a part-time professional nurse. The Centre is a non-profit organization that collaborates with community partners and researchers to support men who are concerned about their prostate health, or who have been diagnosed with prostate cancer. The Centre provides personalized counseling on treatment options, peer support meetings, public education and awareness on prostate cancer. The Centre also partners with the medical and research communities to conduct studies and trials to find appropriate interventions and/or cures for prostate cancer.
The role is a .5 full-time-equivalent (FTE) administrative position in a professional office setting. The 15-hour workweek will be scheduled to meet the needs of The Centre, its patients and the incumbent. The position requires 7+ years of experience in a role that has similar portfolios and / or accountabilities.
The incumbent will be responsible for providing guidance and support to The Centre’s patients, volunteers, staff and community partners in the following portfolios:
· Meets with oncology and urology specialists, the BC Cancer Agency, GPs and nurses to facilitate patient referrals, and to build strong, coordinated networks of care in the community
· In an outreach capacity, liaises with healthcare professionals to ensure health care practitioners are informed about The Centre and the services it provides to men
· Educates the general public about men’s wellness, prostate health, cancer risk, early detection and PSA testing best-practices
Nurse Training, Education and Support
· Identifies the professional training needs of The Centre’s human resources (paid and nonpaid) and coordinates the delivery of appropriate programs to meet the on-going needs
· Ensures The Centre’s information on cancer treatment is medically correct, current and aligns with local and best-practices
· Reviews journals and other medical sources to identify new research outcomes, strategies and trends in treating prostate cancer
· Supports the volunteer nurses in establishing caring relationships with patients and their families to help them in their decision making process
· Offers patient counseling when volunteer resources are not available
· Supports the PSA group and its members by participating in monthly meetings
Program and Project Oversight
· Coordinates and supports the activities of The Centre in its research trials, studies and projects, ensuring that deliverables and desired outcomes are achieved
· Researches and evaluates other Canadian programming related to prostate cancer treatment and cancer survivorship programs to help increase the quality of life for men in the region
· Nurse Practitioner (NP) or Registered Nurse (RN)
· Certified with the College of Registered Nurses in British Columbia
· Able to pass a criminal record check
· Have access to a reliable vehicle and hold a valid BC driver’s license
This position is ideally suited for an individual who has demonstrated experience and competencies in:
· urology, oncology or public health care
· professional counseling
· proven and effective public speaking skills
· working collaboratively where shared leadership is encouraged
· project coordination or management experience
· a flexible and responsive management style
Interested individuals are invited to submit a resume, along with a cover letter that clearly illustrates their interest in, and qualifications for, the position. The Prostate Centre appreciates all expressions of interest; however, only those candidates who best meet the qualifications for the position and the needs of The Centre will be contacted.
Deadline for applications is 4:00 pm, Friday, January 11, 2013. Please e-mail us with the necessary documents to apply. No phone calls please.