The Prostate Centre is looking for a full-time, permanent Office Administrator. This opportunity is ideal for an individual who has a strong foundation in administration, and is now ready to take the next step into a more challenging and diverse role.
The Prostate Centre is a non-profit organization that collaborates with community partners and researchers to support men who are concerned about their prostate health, or who have been diagnosed with prostate cancer. The Centre provides personalized counseling on treatment options, peer support meetings, public education and awareness on prostate cancer. The organization also partners with the medical and research communities to conduct studies and trials to find appropriate interventions and/or cures for prostate cancer.
The role is a full-time position, working a 30-hour week (Monday to Thursday, 9:00 am – 4:30 pm); however, the occasional evening and week-end hours will be necessary.
The position requires 3 + years of proven experience in a role that has similar accountabilities. The Administrator is responsible for managing the administration and office systems to ensure that The Centre operates with the highest degree of professionalism and integrity. Responsibilities include data donor database management, volunteer support, events and activity coordination, accounts payable (A/P) and accounts receivable (A/R) administration, plus the occasional project oversight. This position also supports the Executive Director (ED) in the capacity of an Executive Assistant.
In consultation with the Executive Director, the candidate will establish personal goals, objectives and strategies to manage the following portfolios:
1. Administrative Coordination and Oversight
- Greets visitors and assists volunteer nurses in supporting patients; provides reception duties as necessary; coordinates patient appointments
- Supports staff in various portfolios and projects
- Oversees and coordinates documentation, supplies, mail, monthly statistics and surveys
- Liaises with IT support, website developer and website host to ensure proper and efficient performance of computer, internet and telephonic equipment
2. Donor Database Management
- Processes general gifts (donations, sponsorships and Gifts In Kind) according to office procedure and Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) rules
- Ensures donor information / payments are processed accurately and in a timely fashion
- Coordinates and troubleshoots financial and reporting systems, including Canada Helps, SAGE, GiftTool, Paymentech, and others
3. Finances, Accounting & Receipting
- Administers the accounts receivable (A/R) and accounts payable (A/P) activities, and provides support to the bookkeeper
- Counts cash, records donations and prepares bank deposits
4. Administrative Support to the Executive Director
- Provides executive level assistance to the ED
- Liaises with committee members, volunteers and board members
5. General Marketing and Promotion
- Routinely updates website
- Co-manages The Centre’s Facebook and Twitter accounts
- Assists in the writing and production of bi-annual newsletters (The ReefKnot) and monthly e-newsletters and other communiqués
6. Event Coordination (Father’s Day Walk/Run, UrbaCity, Men’s Health Day, etc.)
- In coordination with the Partnership Coordinator, manages back-end administration of special events, including participant registrations, participant recruitment, administration logistics, and note taking for committee meetings
6. Coordination of Human Resources
- Supervises and provides work projects to administrative volunteers
Skills and Required Qualifications
- The individual must have excellent written and oral communication skills and the ability to issue error-free communications
- Highly effective listening skills and an ability to be empathetic to patients is essential
- The individual should have the following abilities, experience and skills:
- able to work independently, showing great self-initiative
- able to work under pressure, manage several competing priorities
- able and comfortable to speak with patients about the prostate cancer, sexual and urinary functionality, personal wellness, nutrition and exercise (training provided)
- A sense of humor and a passion for pitching-in to the get job done is a must
The Centre offers a professional office setting, with supportive colleagues and volunteers who work in unison to ensure men with prostate cancer are supported in the best possible way. We succeed in meeting our objectives by promoting a philosophy of reasonable work-life balance, encouraging professional development, and calculated risk-taking. A generous vacation plan and other benefits, including on-site parking, are offered. The candidate must be able to work flexible hours, including some evenings and overtime.
Interested individuals are invited to submit their resume, along with a cover letter that clearly illustrates their interest in, and qualifications for, the position. The Prostate Centre appreciates all expressions of interest; however, only those candidates who best meet the qualifications for the position and the needs of The Centre will be contacted.
The deadline for applications is 4:00 pm, Friday, August 2nd 2013. Please submit the necessary documents by email. No phone calls please.