The Old Spaghetti Factory

The Old Spaghetti Factory Employee Reviews in Canada

A fast paced, team focused establishment
Manager & Bartender (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMay 26, 2016
Old Spaghetti Factory lays out well the expectations of employees and gives all the training, tools, and support needed to be a productive employee. All this is required due to the fast paced nature of this tourist hot spot. Servers at this restaurant are required to do much more than an average server, this creates a need for team work and organization to ensure fast quality service. Multiple managers are always available as well to aid the team, this is very uncommon in the industry. Team mates quickly become friends because of this, this is by far one of my favorite aspects of the work. The most difficult aspect of the work is the unpredictable amount of work. Slow seasons cause there to be a lack of shift and shortened shifts.
Pros
Work with an excellent team, helpful managers, discounted meals
Cons
Work schedule changes often
Fast Paced
Junior Server (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BCMarch 4, 2016
Enjoyable, learned lots of things, co workers are friends, most managers are understanding, fast paced, never stop working, mad tips!!!
Very fun and eccentric work environment, Though management lacked
Busser (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 31, 2016
Old Spaghetti Factory is an amazing job if you wish to get well versed with the restaurant industry. Always a busy work place, but extremely rewarding.
Great Teamwork among all employees
Senior server (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 14, 2016
Everyone did their part which got the job done. There was a good flow from the hostess to the server, bartenders, kitchen and to the bussers.
The old spaghetti factory
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABDecember 31, 2015
A typical day at work would be getting everything ready such as getting the front desk ready, make sure menus were folded. Make sure your ready for a long hard day at work. You were on your feet all day running around checking for free tables to be seated. I learned how to work fast and significantly. You couldn't be slow at this job. Management there i have to say i was really disappointed in them they don't know how to run a restaurant. Co-workers were okay i made some friends there but most of the co-workers would just yell at the other for messing something up. Hardest part of my job was keeping the cutomers happy because we were always booked so we always had a wait time to get in and people would get mad.
Pros
Your so busy time just flies at work
Cons
good place to make money
Bartender and Server (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABNovember 3, 2015
it is nice place to work for tips but work is not really easy

Friday and Saturday is busy as . but over all nice place to work

if you like tam work I would reccomned that
Fun place to work
Server (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABOctober 26, 2015
I enjoyed working with the other staff and the guests were always so friendly.

If you ever needed help there would be more then one person willing to help.

Hardest part of the job would be having to wait for your shift to start, sometimes more than an hour depending on how busy it would get.
Pros
cheap/free food
Cons
waiting for shift to start
Staff was amazing, managment was terrible
Server (Former Employee) –  kelowna bcJune 1, 2015
There was a lot of things you had to do for even for a simple table and only getting so little out of it. Management was terrible, didn't know how to scheduling and one of them picked favourites among staff. Hardest part about the job is getting shifts covered, I enjoyed the patrons that came in and working with the staff.
Worst job ever,just NOT WORTH it
dishwasher (Former Employee) –  EdmontonMarch 24, 2015
I was a dishwasher for downton Edmonton location working alone on busiest shift to closing time. Well, your typical day would be arrive early enough so you have time to change into working clothes and be at work station by the start of shift. You get an hour of uncrazy work and beyond that it's beyond crazy overload of work for one dishwasher the entire busiest shift. A dishwasher is lowest-paid but the toughest,back-breaking job. You clean everyone's stuff and mess, customer's mess,chef's mess,server's mess (not to mention crazy co-workers who got the habit of throwing knives with other utensils in the sink just so they can get on faster with their job too and therefore put you at risk) You are expected to keep the area cleared and clean all the time no matter how busy so you slack one bit, the manager will go shouting at you while banging the dirty dishes and trays to remind you that you are a slow slave, You end work by washing the entire kitchen area and throwing huge and heavy garbage bags (and no guy at work will offer a hand to help you at the end of the day :p) On this job I learned that it feels great to give a tip especially for a dishwasher everytime you are at a restaurant because they don't get a tip with the hardest job they have. Then i also learned not to eat at the old spaghetti factory and you know why? The bread/buns they serve you on your tables come from a filthy dark spot between the kitchen and laundry/dresser room which is a filthy floor. Yep. it lays there like garbage bags for mice, cockroach to play with at night. The kitchen set up is NOT my ideal  more... kind of clean for a kitchen,not even close. There are crazy dishwashers too trained me to save time by shocking and disgusting methods 1. wiping down plates and other related stuff with a filthy piece of cloth if they come out still kinda filthy due to overloading the dishwasher on busiest hours. (yuck! which i never practiced and why they wonder it took me longer) 2. pouring the entire fithy mop bucket content right into the dishwashing sink area. (another major YUCK! 3. wash filthy anti-slip mats we use right on the dishwashing machine where your plates and plates and other utensils go.

The enjoyable part of the job? When you are home just resting after a long hard work , thinking of the free meal they make you take home but of which you were too busy to get a break to eat at work and too tired to swallow them down when at home. :p

Been through different jobs in Edmonton, and even worked at an industrial place where I was trained for other jobs which require masculine power out of me, learned to be greasy,dirty,extra heavy and splicing jobs but it was worth it! I am not going back to being dishwasher at this place at least.
Pros
co-worers who are nice, supportive, and senstive
Cons
pay is not decent enough for the work you give, plus managers who treat you are a slave
clean environment in kitchen
Line cook (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 17, 2015
As i start to work after sanitizing my hand , i start the preparation for the lunch and dinner , i learned the importantance of cleanliness and the quality of the food , food management is important also to make sure the in and out of the food from the storage and it is important to have a teamwork , quality work and camaraderie.The hardest part of the Job is the miss communication with your co-worker. The most enjoyable part of the Job is when you know that you satisfied people with your food.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
Good place to work if you are not a busy person.
Dish Washer/Bussing Tables (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBNovember 29, 2014
At the time I had alot going on and I could not balance a job and my other activities. If you have the time, its a wonderful place to work.
Pros
free meal
Cons
closing took a long time, the work felt dragged out.
Productive and friendly workplace
Hostess (Former Employee) –  54 The EsplanadeNovember 25, 2014
- very friendly coworkers and management
- usually very busy giving workers lots of tasks daily
- management is very fun, energetic, and understanding
- very difficult working saturdays as wait times would reach 1 hour
Pros
free meals when training new employee
Cons
no guaranteed end times
Bad
Busboy (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 26, 2014
Way too small change/laundry/break/mannagers office/washroom area. No time for breaks. Dead Mice in the back. May ask you to clean puke with a few napkins.
Pros
discount on food
Cons
not much time for breaks
fun workplace
cook (Former Employee) –  Langley, BCMarch 14, 2014
great and fun co-workers,Very good General Manager,not too hard to work in their kitchen easy to learn the menu,Great employees specially kitchen staff.
Pros
free meal
Cons
short hours
good job
Cook (Former Employee) –  new westminsterJanuary 6, 2014
my typical work day would be get to work then put on my uniform, do kitchen prep.
My first job in canada
Dishwasher and Pasta cook (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 18, 2013
Working at the Spaghetti Factory was good. I started as a dishwasher and became a pasta prep / cook. The team was nice and multicultured.

The work was hard sometimes because it is a big restaurant in Toronto and a lot of people are going there.

The hardest part of the job was probably the dishwashing after a busy day.

It was a good experience to work in a kitchen of a busy restaurant like the spaghetti factory.
Pros
free food, tips
Cons
moderate pay
Busser at very busy restaurant
Busser (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 3, 2013
My job mostly consisted of clearing tables, setting tables, and cleaning.
It was a very fast paced enviroment,
The best part of the job was the free food.
The worst part of the job was being covered in pasta sauce constantly.
Pros
free food
Cons
low pay
I learned all aspects of running a resturant.
Office Administrator - Bar Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Whistler, BCAugust 28, 2013
This was a great place to work it was like family and I learned so much.
Pros
amazing staff
Cons
average food quality
fun upbeat restuarant
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 18, 2013
A typical day at work would be seating the guests, and helping the servers. I have learned a lot about people, and that you are never supposed to say no. the management was okay, but I did not get along with one of the managers. My co workers were also friends, we treated each other all like family. the hardest part of the job is running up and down staires all day. my favorite part of the job, was when kids would come into the restaurant and I would talk with them.
Fun enjoyable atmosphere
Server (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford BCMay 31, 2013
The Spaghetti Factory is a wonderful place to work and an amazing management team that is goal oriented and looks out for all employees. Incredible staff and everyone is willing to help eachother out.
Pros
flexible, astounding management, fun.
Cons
poor hours, don`t know if you will start on your shifts.

The Old Spaghetti Factory Reviews by Job Title