The Observer Employee Review

View all The Observer reviews

High potential, but bogged down by clumsy management
Photo Editor/Opinion Editor/Staff Writer (Former Employee) –  Manchester, NH6 February 2014
On a daily basis, I would receive articles from fellow writers - mostly from the Opinion section - to be edited for grammar and content before being sent to the Layout Editor. I would also write and submit content. Once a week, we would meet as a whole to discuss any issues.

The major problem I had working for The Observer was the poor management. Often times, no one was sure what to do to fix problems and who was responsible. It would have been a very powerful local community news source if not for people frequently stumbling over one another.

That said, the creative freedom that was given at this job was highly appreciated. This freedom was most felt in the Opinion and Arts & Entertainment sections that I would most frequently write for. It made writing informative articles much easier and more enjoyable.

I gained a fair deal of knowledge regarding the writing process and the proper format for a journalistic article while working for The Observer. However, now that I have gained that knowledge, I would like to apply it to a more professional environment.
Pros
Creative Freedom
Cons
Poor task management

Other The Observer Employee Reviews

Awesome
Newspaper Carrier (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON12 April 2017
Fun, easy it was something you could have your friends doing with you. Or if not you would still be done in a matter of 10-20 minutes on your own. Go for it and give it a try!
Long Hours Walking
Paper Carrier (Current Employee) –  Sarnia, ON14 May 2016
A typical day for this job would be coming home from a long day at school and than going for a 3 hour handing out my papers to my customers, doesn't matter the weather.
Pros
Money
Cons
Long Hours