The Observer

The Observer Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Student run and respectable publication
Staff Writer (Former Employee), New York, NYJuly 27, 2014
It helped me to gain experience in the newspaper and publishing world.
Stressful and long hours
Sutton Coldfield's Observer Paper distributer (Current Employee), Birmingham, ENGJune 16, 2014
Pros: extra pay for leaflets, customer satsifaction
Cons: long hours
Each day 71 papers were delivered to my house at different times each day, sometimes they would be early morning at around 3am others were at around 7am, which I preferred, but other times it was at about 9 or 10am, which was bad because I had to wait till I got home from school to then put all the leaflets in all the papers which took an hour and a – more... half. – less
High potential, but bogged down by clumsy management
Photo Editor/Opinion Editor/Staff Writer (Former Employee), Manchester, NHFebruary 6, 2014
Pros: creative freedom
Cons: poor task management
On a daily basis, I would receive articles from fellow writers - mostly from the Opinion section - to be edited for grammar and content before being sent to the Layout Editor. I would also write and submit content. Once a week, we would meet as a whole to discuss any issues.

The major problem I had working for The Observer was the poor management. – more... Often times, no one was sure what to do to fix problems and who was responsible. It would have been a very powerful local community news source if not for people frequently stumbling over one another.

That said, the creative freedom that was given at this job was highly appreciated. This freedom was most felt in the Opinion and Arts & Entertainment sections that I would most frequently write for. It made writing informative articles much easier and more enjoyable.

I gained a fair deal of knowledge regarding the writing process and the proper format for a journalistic article while working for The Observer. However, now that I have gained that knowledge, I would like to apply it to a more professional environment. – less