The North West Company

• Salary/Benefits
n/a
Senior Technology Analyst, Desktop (Former Employee), WinnipegNovember 25, 2013
I was there for 8 years. I learned many skills that I can take with me
This store was a very busy nonstop from time we opened to close.
Manager of General Merchandise (Former Employee), Gjoa Haven, NUNovember 1, 2013
Pros: the north west paid me a food allowance and rent this was very helpful.
Cons: yes long hours i put in 50 to 60 hours a week.
I was very happy to work with this Company. I learned very much about my co-workers and there way of life in the Arctic.
Short on work
Order picker (Former Employee), Winnipeg ManitobaSeptember 10, 2013
Cons: too short hours
I worked at the NorthWest Company for about a year and it was pretty good there. I was on regular part time though so my hours were very bad. At the time I was not living on my own so it wasn't so bad but I wanted to and needed a better income. People were good there. Management was a bit slimy about how they dealt with problems though. and a lot of – more... the guys didn't really take them very seriously. – less
NWC is a great company to work for
Store Manager (Current Employee), Qikiqtarjuaq, NUAugust 7, 2013
Pros: experience, adventure, culture
Cons: long hours, limited time off, and stress level
I enjoy working in northern Canada.

My typical day can be very easy going with the average daily routine to run a retail store, or it can be filled with excitement, stress and challenges. Everyday with the North West Company is a pleasure.

I have learned many aspects of retail store operations including how to manage staff, facility, and budgets.

The – more... hardest part of my job is the work/life balance. There are many periods of time that I work for weeks on end without a break. I know it is part and parcel to the job, however as a hard worker with a strong work ethic, I sometimes find it hard to pull myself away from my store and get some rest.

I truly enjoy my customers. I enjoy the staff and making sales. I know that is not unique to retail store managers who really love what they are doing. – less
Modern workplace with gym and cafeteria.
Purchasing Clerk/Merch Clerk/Receptionist (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBJune 11, 2013
Pros: lots of volunteering options, yearly trade fair
Cons: lack of empathy of dept. heads
Enjoyed Merch.Clerk position. Offered many interesting aspects of Purchasing. Also, working within a different culture.
Excellent work place to work with.
STORE MANAGER (Former Employee), Rankin Inlet, NUJanuary 28, 2013
Pros: bonuses, housing with utilities and food are all paid by the company etc.
Cons: work is in the arctic.
• Store manager of the primary department store in Rankin Inlet Nunavut, with sales over $13 million per year, which was consistently above the company’s budget and expectations.
• The store served the community through sales of vehicles (cars, trucks, snowmobiles, boats), pharmacy, retail (fashion, electronics, furniture, firearms, hardware), grocery, – more... food service (KFC and Pizza Hut), and financial services
• Oversaw a selling area of 33,806 sq. ft. and supervised a staff of more than 70 employees. The store’s gross profit was $5.5 million per year with a contribution margin of more than $2.2 million.
• Ensured that the managers and staff working under my supervision were performing their specified job duties and providing superior customer service
• Responsible for up to 70 staff and as well provided day-to-day task lists and specific objectives to all the department Managers.
• Reviewed and approved any and all expenses from each department operating under the store. – less
Wrong time for me
Payroll Administrator (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBOctober 9, 2012
Pros: close to home, room for advacement, good salary.
It was a fantastic job, with good people. I had a good work experience there I just had an illness in the family and the timing was wrong for me to be there. Otherwise it was a good place to work.
Poor choices
Department Manager (Former Employee), Dillingham, AKAugust 9, 2014
Awful and misleading work environment; extreme weather conditions, no time off really, corporate housing, poor follow through on policies

About The North West Company

The North West Company is a leading retailer to underserved rural communities and urban neighbourhood markets in the following – Read more