The North West Company

The North West Company Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
northern entrapment
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Iqaluit, NUApril 14, 2016
Pros: subsidized housing and food
Cons: long hours, bad housing condition, selfish management
If youre ready for a big change and culture shock GO for it!

Its not easy for an average Canadian to go up far north and live in a very cold weather most of the year. Poor Housing condition & situation. Possible for you to live next to a horrible neighbor . they are not strict and they don't follow house rules.As a manager you are expected to do all the work because all their locals has very poor work ethic. The store hiring staff is not capable on trying to get the right person to do the job. They don't exert effort to get local to work with the store. This is a high volume store for goodness sake! If you are the type who doesn't have a life and just want to work and work then this location is right for you. The store manager is too busy covering his as s and busy hiring managers so he could get commission out of it . how much is your referral fee so far?
i made new friends nd everyone was helpful, a great experience
Customer Service Officer-various locations (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBJuly 7, 2015
Pros: new friends
Cons: fly in
when I worked for the north west company in the beginning, I was scared and unknown to this type of work,. as I gained more knowledge from my fellow co-workers, I gained more confidence as I started to know my position better, I thank all fellow co-workers for all their help as I wouldn't know my work as cashier, retail clerk, produce clerk and customer service.
great place to work
Grocery Supervisor (Current Employee), Keewaywin, ONMay 30, 2015
I'm currently a grocery supervisor at NWC and enjoy my job. I learn a lot from other store managers on how to do my job better. like how to order better and check reports to see where my order is or see how the store is doing. I can do a lot in the store like, doing store ordering, run the cash register, stock shelves, run the office but need more time in the office, clean the store, deliver item for customer, deliver store freight, and did a little in the post office but need more time in there.
Wrong time for me
Payroll Administrator (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBOctober 9, 2012
Pros: close to home, room for advacement, good salary.
It was a fantastic job, with good people. I had a good work experience there I just had an illness in the family and the timing was wrong for me to be there. Otherwise it was a good place to work.
NWC is a great company to work for
Store Manager (Current Employee), Qikiqtarjuaq, NUAugust 7, 2013
Pros: experience, adventure, culture
Cons: long hours, limited time off, and stress level
I enjoy working in northern Canada.

My typical day can be very easy going with the average daily routine to run a retail store, or it can be filled with excitement, stress and challenges. Everyday with the North West Company is a pleasure.

I have learned many aspects of retail store operations including how to manage staff, facility, and budgets.

The hardest part of my job is the work/life balance. There are many periods of time that I work for weeks on end without a break. I know it is part and parcel to the job, however as a hard worker with a strong work ethic, I sometimes find it hard to pull myself away from my store and get some rest.

I truly enjoy my customers. I enjoy the staff and making sales. I know that is not unique to retail store managers who really love what they are doing.
Short on work
Order picker (Former Employee), Winnipeg ManitobaSeptember 10, 2013
Cons: too short hours
I worked at the NorthWest Company for about a year and it was pretty good there. I was on regular part time though so my hours were very bad. At the time I was not living on my own so it wasn't so bad but I wanted to and needed a better income. People were good there. Management was a bit slimy about how they dealt with problems though. and a lot of the guys didn't really take them very seriously.
This store was a very busy nonstop from time we opened to close.
Manager of General Merchandise (Former Employee), Gjoa Haven, NUNovember 1, 2013
Pros: the north west paid me a food allowance and rent this was very helpful.
Cons: yes long hours i put in 50 to 60 hours a week.
I was very happy to work with this Company. I learned very much about my co-workers and there way of life in the Arctic.
Excellent work place to work with.
STORE MANAGER (Former Employee), Rankin Inlet, NUJanuary 28, 2013
Pros: bonuses, housing with utilities and food are all paid by the company etc.
Cons: work is in the arctic.
• Store manager of the primary department store in Rankin Inlet Nunavut, with sales over $13 million per year, which was consistently above the company’s budget and expectations.
• The store served the community through sales of vehicles (cars, trucks, snowmobiles, boats), pharmacy, retail (fashion, electronics, furniture, firearms, hardware), grocery, food service (KFC and Pizza Hut), and financial services
• Oversaw a selling area of 33,806 sq. ft. and supervised a staff of more than 70 employees. The store’s gross profit was $5.5 million per year with a contribution margin of more than $2.2 million.
• Ensured that the managers and staff working under my supervision were performing their specified job duties and providing superior customer service
• Responsible for up to 70 staff and as well provided day-to-day task lists and specific objectives to all the department Managers.
• Reviewed and approved any and all expenses from each department operating under the store.
Very happy employees
File Clerk (Former Employee), Winnipeg ManitobaJanuary 20, 2015
Pros: vending machines
Cons: short breaks
Very smiley and happy employees made it for a very positive work environment.
good colleagues and fun walking club
accounts payable clerk (Former Employee), winnipeg, manitobaSeptember 16, 2014
. . awesome work / life balance/ schedule . . . the more enjoyable part is the flexibility of work hours, you can start early & go home early, or you could start late & go home late too . . .
Modern workplace with gym and cafeteria.
Purchasing Clerk/Merch Clerk/Receptionist (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBJune 11, 2013
Pros: lots of volunteering options, yearly trade fair
Cons: lack of empathy of dept. heads
Enjoyed Merch.Clerk position. Offered many interesting aspects of Purchasing. Also, working within a different culture.
loved it
Retail Associate (Former Employee), Fort Simpson, NTOctober 7, 2013
Pros: alot of nice poeple
Cons: worked all the time
i really liked working here but i got home sick so i came home would i ever do it agian?sure i would in a heart beat if the timing was right
Great Company
Manager, Order Management (Supply Chain/Logistics) (Former Employee), Winnipeg, ManitobaDecember 21, 2011
The North West Company (NWC or North West) is a leading community retailer to underserved rural communities and urban neighbourhood markets in the following regions: northern Canada, western Canada, rural Alaska, the South Pacific and the Caribbean.
High school years
Cashier (Former Employee), Moosonee, ONSeptember 18, 2012
I worked for this company when I was in high school, it was my part time job. I enjoyed it because of the customers and my coworkers. Even though not every customer and not every coworker is willing to be as polite as they should, I still remained polite for them.
fun workplace
Cleaning (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBOctober 1, 2013
Pros: some breaks
Cons: no lunch
learned how to work a pressure washer and work at a fast pace, god bosses there, very nice peple , they help you if you don't know what to do
Great to work with!
STORE MANAGER (Former Employee), Rankin Inlet, NUJanuary 21, 2014
The company is Great to work with!

The botton line was shared with the managers and supervisors.
n/a