The North West Company Employee Reviews

You are alone in every way in managing these stores.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Northwest Territories24 October 2017
I spent ten years with this company as a manager. The extreme hours, lack of Home office support and constant blame from head office is very tiring. Training is terrible and poorly trained head office unable to assist.

The company lacks a comprehensive vision of the future so instead of heading in positive directions they change merchandising directions constantly, then blame managers for poor program performance.

The communities are challenging but always fun and interesting, the position is basically the same as in southern areas, but the constant backstabbing by Home office is horrendous.

Very tempting pitch, however I would NEVER recommend anyone experienced to fall for it. Your future will be held by a daily whim of your DM... and when they decide to terminate, they will leave you stranded without any way to get home and no concern or humanity at all, I saw many friends given 48 hour notice to get out of housing and it was brutal.

Eventually I couldn't live with the uncertainty and quit before they decided to do it to me and my family.
Pros
Mostly free housing and food allowance
Cons
No job security, constantly blame store level for Home office failures.
Not so good
Department Manager (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Igloolik, NU5 October 2017
Management, HR and ethics are not well balanced in this company.

Work life/home life is not a good balance

Required to work statutory holidays without question.
Pros
Close to work
Cons
Management etc is weak
what I learned
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Black Lake, SK28 September 2017
this positon has give me the opportunities to work in the future. I have learned the to treat people equal, and with respect. I have learned how to retail, janitorial, producer, stocking food, and labeling. I always treated people as my first priority.
Expect to work a lot
Manager (Former Employee) –  northern canada1 September 2017
Rewarding work, long hours when others do not show up. Small communities with great people. Logistical nightmare. remote locations often with very expensive flights. one vacation per year.
benefits
Cons
long weeks
Good place to work for students
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB10 August 2017
Employees consist of different races.

Required to work on weekends.

Make many friends

Good for bachelors

Staff is good

Repetitive work

Good discount for employees
Good work place and environment
Forklift Operator/Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg manitoba6 August 2017
It was a great company for me easy people to get along with the pay was good as well i just ended up going to montreal to visit and family and put in my two weeks really wish i could go bavk
Pros
Job keeps you in shape
Cons
Early mornings
Great Culture, friendly coworkers!
Human Resources (Intern) (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB2 August 2017
I did a 4 week internship there, the staff were all very welcoming, easy to get along with and helpful! The culture is very relaxed. There are great perks to working there, there is a great bistro there that is subsidised by the company so cheap delicious food, there is a GYM there for employees, and they subsidise for parking around there at the forks!
Great Historic Company! Hard working people, Ample learning experiances.
Head Office Employee (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada2 August 2017
The North West Company is a great historic company that aims to provide the best offering of product and services to rural and remote communities.The company is constantly looking into new projects and initiatives to be better. A great place to work with Hard working motivated people.
Pros
Historic Stable Company, Hard Working People, Ample Learning Experiances
would not recommend this company to anyone
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Arctic Bay, NU27 July 2017
terrible work experience, no training, no support from any level of anyone in the company. Store manager didn't even know his own job, relied on the grocery manager for answers, and passed off all customer and staff inquiries to grocery manager as well.
Great learning experience
Business Development and consultancy (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB23 July 2017
It is a great company with great leaders. I will prefer to work more with the North West in future if given an opportunity. I have grown a lot both individually and professionally.
The project demanded a huge amount of confidentiality and it was something new but very thrilling experience.

Want to know more about The North West Company?

Ask a question
A good company to work for
Various roles (Former Employee) –  Iqaluit, NU23 June 2017
This is a great place to work if you are looking for adventure. They operate in isolated areas. Mainly across the Arctic regions of Canada.

The isolation can also become difficult because there are limited amenities in most of their operating areas.
long hours with no caring from head office. just get the job done.
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Stevenson Island, MB18 June 2017
difficult environment to work in. remote locations. local population apathetic to working.. long hours are required with little support. 50 to 60 hours a week are needed due to lack of staff. sometimes just being able to open the front door is a challenge. Compensation package is good but you earn it. increased pressure from head office doesn't help the day to day situation.
Pros
compensation package
Cons
lon hours and little support. remote communitities means very little time with family.
Great experience
Office Clerk (Current Employee) –  Gjoa Haven, NU28 May 2017
It's a great job opportunity working with the north west company Learn lost of new experiences great worker always on time never miss shifts works great with people
Pros
No free lunches
Cons
8 hour shifts
Internship
Intern (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, Manitoba3 May 2017
My day involves a variety of tasks: using excel, reviewing invoices, searching for information, and meetings. My most enjoyable part of the day is using my math skills and expanding my horizons in excel.
Busy, fun, and meet a lot of new people everyday.
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Northwest Territories2 May 2017
I worked as a cashier, and office manager for the Northwest Company for over a year. I found it very easy to learn and work for the company. Very friendly staff and got to meet and serve new people every day.
Pros
Meet new people every day
Interesting historic company.
Director (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB29 March 2017
I've enjoyed my work with the company and have an amazing group of coworkers. The other groups that I interact with are also supportive and easy to speak to. People generally treat you with respect and want to work with you as a team to succeed in your projects or solve problems. The company is very focused on the stores and the success of employees at the stores.

Depending on your location you might also have support in some living expenses such as housing or food.
Pros
Career progression, teamwork
Cons
Remote locations of the stores which often do not have all the amenities of larger communities.
Good Place to work temporary not for long term.
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Manitoba24 March 2017
I work to this company 3 years but they terminate me without giving any reason from the Manager. The company is a good place to work temporary. It is not good for a long term career.
Pros
Lot of parking space..
Cons
Long Hours
Great place to learn base job skills.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Iqaluit, NU16 February 2017
I have learned many of my work ethic from the North West Company and it is also a fantastic place to learn how to manage employees when you have worked in an adequate amount of time (approximately 1 year of experience).
Pros
scheduled breaks that benefits all employees
Cons
poor employee retention.
Poor Store management
Warehouse Manager (Former Employee) –  Nunavut18 October 2016
they are there taking advantage of the inuit locals of Nunavut. They can get away with not following nutrition north. The staff works there are all dumb maybe that's why they are there in the first place not in the competitive south. The store manager doesn't care about the employees and only in it for himself!!

Goodluck if you want to work with them!!
I say it again DO NOT WORK WITH THIS COMPANY!!
Pros
northern experience, learn the culture
Cons
long hours of work, office politics, dumb coworkers
Ware houes
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB20 September 2016
The northwest company was a fun place to work it was a place where you were busy at all time and all the workers were being monitored by there performance the place was full of Energy and management were nice to all

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The North West Company. Our community is ready to answer.