The North West Company

The North West Company Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Great to work with!
STORE MANAGER (Former Employee), Rankin Inlet, NUJanuary 21, 2014
The company is Great to work with!

The botton line was shared with the managers and supervisors.
n/a
Senior Technology Analyst, Desktop (Former Employee), WinnipegNovember 25, 2013
I was there for 8 years. I learned many skills that I can take with me
This store was a very busy nonstop from time we opened to close.
Manager of General Merchandise (Former Employee), Gjoa Haven, NUNovember 1, 2013
Pros: the north west paid me a food allowance and rent this was very helpful.
Cons: yes long hours i put in 50 to 60 hours a week.
I was very happy to work with this Company. I learned very much about my co-workers and there way of life in the Arctic.
Short on work
Order picker (Former Employee), Winnipeg ManitobaSeptember 10, 2013
Cons: too short hours
I worked at the NorthWest Company for about a year and it was pretty good there. I was on regular part time though so my hours were very bad. At the time I was not living on my own so it wasn't so bad but I wanted to and needed a better income. People were good there. Management was a bit slimy about how they dealt with problems though. and a lot of – more... the guys didn't really take them very seriously. – less
NWC is a great company to work for
Store Manager (Current Employee), Qikiqtarjuaq, NUAugust 7, 2013
Pros: experience, adventure, culture
Cons: long hours, limited time off, and stress level
I enjoy working in northern Canada.

My typical day can be very easy going with the average daily routine to run a retail store, or it can be filled with excitement, stress and challenges. Everyday with the North West Company is a pleasure.

I have learned many aspects of retail store operations including how to manage staff, facility, and budgets.

The – more... hardest part of my job is the work/life balance. There are many periods of time that I work for weeks on end without a break. I know it is part and parcel to the job, however as a hard worker with a strong work ethic, I sometimes find it hard to pull myself away from my store and get some rest.

I truly enjoy my customers. I enjoy the staff and making sales. I know that is not unique to retail store managers who really love what they are doing. – less
Modern workplace with gym and cafeteria.
Purchasing Clerk/Merch Clerk/Receptionist (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBJune 11, 2013
Pros: lots of volunteering options, yearly trade fair
Cons: lack of empathy of dept. heads
Enjoyed Merch.Clerk position. Offered many interesting aspects of Purchasing. Also, working within a different culture.
Excellent work place to work with.
STORE MANAGER (Former Employee), Rankin Inlet, NUJanuary 28, 2013
Pros: bonuses, housing with utilities and food are all paid by the company etc.
Cons: work is in the arctic.
• Store manager of the primary department store in Rankin Inlet Nunavut, with sales over $13 million per year, which was consistently above the company’s budget and expectations.
• The store served the community through sales of vehicles (cars, trucks, snowmobiles, boats), pharmacy, retail (fashion, electronics, furniture, firearms, hardware), grocery, – more... food service (KFC and Pizza Hut), and financial services
• Oversaw a selling area of 33,806 sq. ft. and supervised a staff of more than 70 employees. The store’s gross profit was $5.5 million per year with a contribution margin of more than $2.2 million.
• Ensured that the managers and staff working under my supervision were performing their specified job duties and providing superior customer service
• Responsible for up to 70 staff and as well provided day-to-day task lists and specific objectives to all the department Managers.
• Reviewed and approved any and all expenses from each department operating under the store. – less
Wrong time for me
Payroll Administrator (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBOctober 9, 2012
Pros: close to home, room for advacement, good salary.
It was a fantastic job, with good people. I had a good work experience there I just had an illness in the family and the timing was wrong for me to be there. Otherwise it was a good place to work.
Poor choices
Department Manager (Former Employee), Dillingham, AKAugust 9, 2014
Awful and misleading work environment; extreme weather conditions, no time off really, corporate housing, poor follow through on policies

About The North West Company

The North West Company is a leading retailer to underserved rural communities and urban neighbourhood markets in the following – Read more