The Nielsen Company

The Nielsen Company Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
The Nielsen experience
Membership Representative (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PADecember 5, 2013
Pros: well-known company, overall experiences, company's vehicle, independent role, no micromanagement, paid internet services, great 401k and health benefits
The Nielsen experience was a cultured and memorable one; indeed very unique. Not one day could be compared, each day was special in its own way. I met someone new everyday, and truly loved it. I could proudly say that the positioned I carried fit perfectly. The duties that I had to fulfill consisted of wearing many hats. I visited various affluent neighborhoods, – more... as well as poverty areas therefore, I was in tune with cultural diversity and continued to develop at large from the people that resided in these different types of society. I learned to persevere an outside business flow; in addition to being able to manage all my administrative work. I was volunteered by the company to take part in a couple of their pilot projects; I really enjoyed participating in their innovations. I was also presented to new hires; to shadowed my daily work. This was a very independent kind of job, you've made your own schedule and were not micromanaged, trust was a huge factor, especially when I first started with the company, they didn't have a way of tracking your time. Precision was a must; you had to know what you were doing, with a strong will and desire to succeed in this business. I endured a lot with this company and it was very rewarding. Like most jobs it had its ups and downs, but by far the ups overpowered the downs. It prepared me to perceive life's problems as challenges and seize each moment for what it is. I've learned to welcome each opportunity that comes my way and take it to its full potential and know that there are endless possibilities. – less
Fun place to work. Feels like family here.
Sr. Facility Specialist (Current Employee), Columbia, MDDecember 4, 2013
Pros: weekly meetings, opportunity to learn
Cons: would have stayed, but the arbitron was merged with nielsen
Had a great team to work with. Learned how to do forecasting, purchase orders, looking to save money for the company with different vendors, also interacted with landlords to get the work orders completed in a timely manner. Enjoyed teaching others in my departement about various things they needed to learn.
great place to work for and great co workers and team players
Analyst (Former Employee), Oldsmar, FLDecember 3, 2013
Pros: great lunch time 45 minutes
Cons: short breaks
meeting deadlines ,great team players always met deadlines. going green in the work place . it was great work place, always learning new skills and share point, meeting the network deadlines working with the networks and venders, payroll. My position was outsouce to India. Nielsen was great job and was with the compay for 10+ years
fun workplace
Temperory Work (Former Employee), Junagadh, GJNovember 28, 2013
Pros: no
Cons: 8hrs
i learnt many things like i learnt how to convience ppl.
it was temperory work doctor census and in which i had to go to different doctors and do survey about what madicians thy use and to go to different medical and do survey.
Energetic Leader - Operations
EXECUTIVE (Current Employee), SharjahNovember 26, 2013
Pros: free ticket/medical insurance for spouse, can start work by 9am etc
Cons: very less pay.
i joined this company in November 2010 and Nielsen changed me in many ways that i'm grateful about. One of the major challenges was handling stress when working with a team of 18 people, where i'm doing numerous activities related to different projects at the same time. My typical starts at around 9am, some days I start early depending on the work load – more... which goes till 10 - 11pm. I indeed learned a lot of things especially to take responsibility to handle projects on my own. Do have very understanding Co - workers. – less
Global environment. Productive and demanding, lots of opportunity for growth.
Project Manager (Current Employee), Ormonde, GPNovember 22, 2013
Pros: flexible working hrs, option to work from home, travel
Cons: long hours, workload
Heavy engagement cross-functional on a daily basis to manage projects/programs on Client delivery for BaU, enhanced and new products, new country launches.
Learnings on global processes, client and stakeholder management, deep dives and business process improvement.
Co-workers are supportive and understanding.
Hardest part is work and home balance as – more... long hours are required to stay ahead.
Local, regional and global people interaction is very enjoyable as you're exposed to different cultures and learnings. – less
A Good Learning Experience
Intern (Former Employee), New Delhi, DLNovember 21, 2013
Our project head would brief about the job & gave the questionnaire to all the intern. Then there was field work. Every intern was given a location where we have to do survey. Then after completion of project we returned that questionnaire to our projects head. As a fresher i have learned lot of things i.e. how to handle your clients, always reach on – more... time, never let your client waiting as it will effect company goodwill. Co workers were very supportive. As a fresher the hardest part was to take an appointment on phone many times clients didn't gave appointment. The best part was that it was a good learning experience & it was a big thing for me that i did my internship in such a big company. – less
Management with no integrity
Senior Configuration Management Analyst (Current Employee), Columbia, MDNovember 16, 2013
The management preaches integrity. However, they don't follow and no humanity to employees. The motivation is on how to make money and don't want know the hard work or feelings of the employees.
If you are a job bouncer, this is the place for you.
Various Positions - see resume (Former Employee), Oldsmar, FLNovember 14, 2013
Pros: interesting work
Cons: no trust
Nielsen can consume you. It is very interesting. There are a lot of things to learn, if given the time. These days customer service and quality are not on the top of the list. Money drives everything. It is very fast paced and challenging. If you are a quick study and can play the political game, you will like it.

A typical day is all consuming. You – more... will forget to take breaks and sometimes even lunch...if you have time to do any of those. You will learn anything you want to learn if you exert the effort. A lot will have to be done on your own time. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting into the numbers and what people do. The hardest part of the job is remembering that the people are only acquaintances. – less
Fun workplace with great people
Sr. Account Executive (Former Employee), Bogotá, CUNNovember 13, 2013
It is a job where you decide how you use your time. There are days that you have to work 12 hours, but the environment and quality of the people makes it a great place to work.
fun place to work
Full Time Trainer (Former Employee), Radcliff, KYNovember 3, 2013
Pros: everything
Train new hires and existing employees on a 10 day knowledge policies and procedures for the Nielsen TV ratings
fun work place with ping pong table.
Senior Financial Analyst/Project Manager (Former Employee), New York, NYOctober 10, 2013
Pros: free food at times
Cons: management is
Used to be a great place to work at until new management took over.
Structure Setting
Call Center Research Interviewer (Former Employee), Radcliff, KYOctober 5, 2013
I probably would of enjoy it better if I was the one being call.
Good place to work.
Lead Panel Relations Specialist (Current Employee), Oldsmar, FLSeptember 30, 2013
Nielsen is a good place to work, I am just ready to move on to a new and better opportunity. During my time there, I have learned valuable skills that I can use in future positions.
P.T. Membership recruiter
Membership Recruiter (Former Employee), Washington StateSeptember 25, 2013
Pros: this company is world wide, so much opportunity, strongly founded, if your idea of hard work is to do nothing but work; nielsen could be your opportunity.
Cons: this company only cares about "numbers"
I worked at Nielsen for 13 months. My home signs were where they were suppose to be BUT watch out for those Back Outs!
The training for part-timers is terrible. Nielsen has been in business since the 50's with TV and that's a lot of imformation for a person to learn. Nielsen throws a bunch of on-line courses at you. That's it. My one on one days with – more... my "trainer" were few and far between. I actually had to observe a home recruitment of a Phillapino family spoken all in the Phillapino dialect! Did I learn anything? HELL NO!!
I came very close to quiting several times during my "training" period. I didn't give up on Nielsen. I stuck it out. I did finally learn to understand the processes. And being a People Person, I really did enjoy my job.
Unfortuniately I had some personal setbacks that did look bad on my "numbers". I needed alittle understanding from Nielsen. This was not possible, so I was cut.

Nielsen is a great opportunity for a recent college graduate who wants to climb the ladder with a strong, founded company. Nielsen is all that and has plenty to offer someone in that capasity. But it doesn't have much for loyality. It will take all someone has to offer them. Bonuses when you do well, but it doesn't seem to develop a kinship with its own. It's like throwing out baby with the bath water when it isn't hot enough. – less
Efficient
DA Programmer (Former Employee), Vadodara, GJSeptember 22, 2013
Pros: overtime was paid
Cons: had to work on weekends due to commitments, at times
-Our Programming Team was efficient which includes our Team Leader and Manager.

-Efforts were made to utilize maximum time to increase productivity.

-Learnt professionalism following dedication and commitments.

-Management was supportive for allowing to seek help from co- team members, at times.

-The hardest part of the job was to handle 4-5 projects – more... simultaneously at times. – less
Good for students and retirees
Research Interviewer (Current Employee), Oldsmar, FLSeptember 15, 2013
Pros: flexible paid time off, good health insurance, very casual dress code
Cons: work is stressful without being intellectually challenging
I work in the call center, so this experience does not apply to more technical jobs in other departments. If you like talking to people, this is a good job. The call center usually hires part time employees, and some of these can get promoted to full time. For these lucky few, the time off is flexible and the health benefits are excellent. A majority – more... of employees are either very young or very old. The high school kids usually leave after they graduate. The hardest part of the job is dealing with aggressive people who do not understand why you are calling them (research - not sales). In this job I have learned how to be persuasive. – less
Very tough and difficult environment to work in
Executive-Director, Regional MSci CSE Lead - MEAP (Current Employee), NairobiSeptember 2, 2013
Pros: an international organisation, diverse culture, international exposure, lots of best practices that can be leveraged if properly harnessed.
Cons: long hours of working, lack of work life balance, too much dependence on technology, lots of people still working in silos, poor understanding of the market by many top management staffs.
Nielsen is the biggest Research company in the world operating from over 100 offices, and about 134 countries world wide.

As the Regional Lead for a wide geographic area like Middle East, Africa & Pakistan, and a boss in the US, I normally have a very long day. Beside the vastness of the area, the countries I oversee are in different time zones, I – more... have 23 SMEs (Subject Matter Expert) reporting to me and work out of 8 countries. So, we utilize technology a lot. Lots of meetings are held using telephones, conference calls, emails, communicators, etc. I work for seven days in a week as weekend in the Middle East is not Saturday and Sunday like other areas.

My day starts as early as 6am some days, and ends at 11pm and sometimes 12 midnight when I have to be on conference calls to the US. Management at Nielsen is too liberal, and this encourages lot of laxity among the staffs. More so, that a reportee and his/her boss, might not have direct contact except on telephones, communicators, and emails. Recruitment and appraisals are also done on mails and telephones.

The most difficult part of the job is dual. Before now, there has been lots of rot in the system before now due to lack of investment in the business long before now. This have terribly impacted the quality of the products that we are offering to our clients. So, on a regular basis, we experience cancellation from clients, and this is impacting our revenue drive. Secondly, due to a change of guard at the top, the focus of the MSci organisation has changed from Client Servicing (and satisfaction) to pure technical (statistical) role. As a marketing professional (and not a statistician), this is affecting my value creation and job satisfaction.

One of my hobbies is travelling, and that is the biggest thing I enjoy most about the job the opportunity. Even though the nature of the job does not give me the opportunity to visit many places in the countries that I visit, the job have afforded me the opportunity of visiting many countries outside Africa. – less
This is a very reputable company and a reliable employer.
Training Assistant/Research Interviewer (Former Employee), Radcliff, KYAugust 19, 2013
This company mainly employs part time workers, so there is typically no benefits included. The opportunity for advancement is there if you apply yourself!
A place where one can form bonds beyond professional relationships
Manager, Operations (Current Employee), Vadodara, GJAugust 12, 2013
Pros: empathetic managers and less politics
Cons: too many process to understand
The day usually starts with reviewing emails for any urgent issues that I need to address on a priority basis. Based on the emails and the current work in progress, I prioritize the tasks to address the most important and urgent issues first and carry on to the next task. Also, typically almost 25% of the day is spent in meetings, which are operational – more... in nature.

The best part about working in my current company is that unlike other corporates, there is less politics and more of a family kind of atmosphere. Most of the managers and colleagues are understanding and the management itself is very empathetic towards its employees. Whenever there are any personal issues which are hindering someones work people are always ready to go beyond their job roles and ready to help and provide the required guidance and support.

All my co-workers are highly educated and experienced professionals and every minute spent talking to them is like a great learning experience. Yes, definitely there are both good and bad things but ultimately it's up to us to take the good things and discard the not-so-good ones. This definitely leads to a lot of learning in terms of the industry knowledge of market research, operational learnings that are otherwise only handled at the higher levels, talking to and dealing with the client and understanding client requirements and other new concepts that enhances my knowledge and understanding of the market research industry as a whole.

The hardest part of my job is when the project I'm working on becomes too technical to handle. Also, since I'm relatively new in the process and the company, it is also sometimes the lack of understanding of a particular process that hinders normal work and poses a challenge. The good thing is that at the end of it I add a new learning which would definitely benefit me in understanding the process wholistically.

The most enjoyable part of my job is the interactions I have with people from various countries and backgrounds. I interact with the US managers, the European managers, also with our partner companies which are in India and their employees. Dealing with each and every one of them and understanding their requirements is quite challenging and I love this challenge and give my best in addressing such varied requirements.

I have formed bonds which go beyond professional relationship and carry over to the weekends when we prefer gathering at a colleagues place either for a dinner party or plan for drives together and enjoy life outside office. – less

About The Nielsen Company

Do you know what consumers buy? What consumers watch? Nielsen Knows! Nielsen is the world’s leading marketing and media – Read more

The Nielsen Company Photos