The Nielsen Company

The Nielsen Company Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Management with no integrity
Senior Configuration Management Analyst (Current Employee), Columbia, MDNovember 16, 2013
The management preaches integrity. However, they don't follow and no humanity to employees. The motivation is on how to make money and don't want know the hard work or feelings of the employees.
If you are a job bouncer, this is the place for you.
Various Positions - see resume (Former Employee), Oldsmar, FLNovember 14, 2013
Pros: interesting work
Cons: no trust
Nielsen can consume you. It is very interesting. There are a lot of things to learn, if given the time. These days customer service and quality are not on the top of the list. Money drives everything. It is very fast paced and challenging. If you are a quick study and can play the political game, you will like it.

A typical day is all consuming. You – more... will forget to take breaks and sometimes even lunch...if you have time to do any of those. You will learn anything you want to learn if you exert the effort. A lot will have to be done on your own time. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting into the numbers and what people do. The hardest part of the job is remembering that the people are only acquaintances. – less
Fun workplace with great people
Sr. Account Executive (Former Employee), Bogotá, CUNNovember 13, 2013
It is a job where you decide how you use your time. There are days that you have to work 12 hours, but the environment and quality of the people makes it a great place to work.
fun place to work
Full Time Trainer (Former Employee), Radcliff, KYNovember 3, 2013
Pros: everything
Train new hires and existing employees on a 10 day knowledge policies and procedures for the Nielsen TV ratings
fun work place with ping pong table.
Senior Financial Analyst/Project Manager (Former Employee), New York, NYOctober 10, 2013
Pros: free food at times
Cons: management is
Used to be a great place to work at until new management took over.
Structure Setting
Call Center Research Interviewer (Former Employee), Radcliff, KYOctober 5, 2013
I probably would of enjoy it better if I was the one being call.
Good place to work.
Lead Panel Relations Specialist (Current Employee), Oldsmar, FLSeptember 30, 2013
Nielsen is a good place to work, I am just ready to move on to a new and better opportunity. During my time there, I have learned valuable skills that I can use in future positions.
P.T. Membership recruiter
Membership Recruiter (Former Employee), Washington StateSeptember 25, 2013
Pros: this company is world wide, so much opportunity, strongly founded, if your idea of hard work is to do nothing but work; nielsen could be your opportunity.
Cons: this company only cares about "numbers"
I worked at Nielsen for 13 months. My home signs were where they were suppose to be BUT watch out for those Back Outs!
The training for part-timers is terrible. Nielsen has been in business since the 50's with TV and that's a lot of imformation for a person to learn. Nielsen throws a bunch of on-line courses at you. That's it. My one on one days with – more... my "trainer" were few and far between. I actually had to observe a home recruitment of a Phillapino family spoken all in the Phillapino dialect! Did I learn anything? HELL NO!!
I came very close to quiting several times during my "training" period. I didn't give up on Nielsen. I stuck it out. I did finally learn to understand the processes. And being a People Person, I really did enjoy my job.
Unfortuniately I had some personal setbacks that did look bad on my "numbers". I needed alittle understanding from Nielsen. This was not possible, so I was cut.

Nielsen is a great opportunity for a recent college graduate who wants to climb the ladder with a strong, founded company. Nielsen is all that and has plenty to offer someone in that capasity. But it doesn't have much for loyality. It will take all someone has to offer them. Bonuses when you do well, but it doesn't seem to develop a kinship with its own. It's like throwing out baby with the bath water when it isn't hot enough. – less
Efficient
DA Programmer (Former Employee), Vadodara, GJSeptember 22, 2013
Pros: overtime was paid
Cons: had to work on weekends due to commitments, at times
-Our Programming Team was efficient which includes our Team Leader and Manager.

-Efforts were made to utilize maximum time to increase productivity.

-Learnt professionalism following dedication and commitments.

-Management was supportive for allowing to seek help from co- team members, at times.

-The hardest part of the job was to handle 4-5 projects – more... simultaneously at times. – less
Good for students and retirees
Research Interviewer (Current Employee), Oldsmar, FLSeptember 15, 2013
Pros: flexible paid time off, good health insurance, very casual dress code
Cons: work is stressful without being intellectually challenging
I work in the call center, so this experience does not apply to more technical jobs in other departments. If you like talking to people, this is a good job. The call center usually hires part time employees, and some of these can get promoted to full time. For these lucky few, the time off is flexible and the health benefits are excellent. A majority – more... of employees are either very young or very old. The high school kids usually leave after they graduate. The hardest part of the job is dealing with aggressive people who do not understand why you are calling them (research - not sales). In this job I have learned how to be persuasive. – less
Very tough and difficult environment to work in
Executive-Director, Regional MSci CSE Lead - MEAP (Current Employee), NairobiSeptember 2, 2013
Pros: an international organisation, diverse culture, international exposure, lots of best practices that can be leveraged if properly harnessed.
Cons: long hours of working, lack of work life balance, too much dependence on technology, lots of people still working in silos, poor understanding of the market by many top management staffs.
Nielsen is the biggest Research company in the world operating from over 100 offices, and about 134 countries world wide.

As the Regional Lead for a wide geographic area like Middle East, Africa & Pakistan, and a boss in the US, I normally have a very long day. Beside the vastness of the area, the countries I oversee are in different time zones, I – more... have 23 SMEs (Subject Matter Expert) reporting to me and work out of 8 countries. So, we utilize technology a lot. Lots of meetings are held using telephones, conference calls, emails, communicators, etc. I work for seven days in a week as weekend in the Middle East is not Saturday and Sunday like other areas.

My day starts as early as 6am some days, and ends at 11pm and sometimes 12 midnight when I have to be on conference calls to the US. Management at Nielsen is too liberal, and this encourages lot of laxity among the staffs. More so, that a reportee and his/her boss, might not have direct contact except on telephones, communicators, and emails. Recruitment and appraisals are also done on mails and telephones.

The most difficult part of the job is dual. Before now, there has been lots of rot in the system before now due to lack of investment in the business long before now. This have terribly impacted the quality of the products that we are offering to our clients. So, on a regular basis, we experience cancellation from clients, and this is impacting our revenue drive. Secondly, due to a change of guard at the top, the focus of the MSci organisation has changed from Client Servicing (and satisfaction) to pure technical (statistical) role. As a marketing professional (and not a statistician), this is affecting my value creation and job satisfaction.

One of my hobbies is travelling, and that is the biggest thing I enjoy most about the job the opportunity. Even though the nature of the job does not give me the opportunity to visit many places in the countries that I visit, the job have afforded me the opportunity of visiting many countries outside Africa. – less
This is a very reputable company and a reliable employer.
Training Assistant/Research Interviewer (Former Employee), Radcliff, KYAugust 19, 2013
This company mainly employs part time workers, so there is typically no benefits included. The opportunity for advancement is there if you apply yourself!
A place where one can form bonds beyond professional relationships
Manager, Operations (Current Employee), Vadodara, GJAugust 12, 2013
Pros: empathetic managers and less politics
Cons: too many process to understand
The day usually starts with reviewing emails for any urgent issues that I need to address on a priority basis. Based on the emails and the current work in progress, I prioritize the tasks to address the most important and urgent issues first and carry on to the next task. Also, typically almost 25% of the day is spent in meetings, which are operational – more... in nature.

The best part about working in my current company is that unlike other corporates, there is less politics and more of a family kind of atmosphere. Most of the managers and colleagues are understanding and the management itself is very empathetic towards its employees. Whenever there are any personal issues which are hindering someones work people are always ready to go beyond their job roles and ready to help and provide the required guidance and support.

All my co-workers are highly educated and experienced professionals and every minute spent talking to them is like a great learning experience. Yes, definitely there are both good and bad things but ultimately it's up to us to take the good things and discard the not-so-good ones. This definitely leads to a lot of learning in terms of the industry knowledge of market research, operational learnings that are otherwise only handled at the higher levels, talking to and dealing with the client and understanding client requirements and other new concepts that enhances my knowledge and understanding of the market research industry as a whole.

The hardest part of my job is when the project I'm working on becomes too technical to handle. Also, since I'm relatively new in the process and the company, it is also sometimes the lack of understanding of a particular process that hinders normal work and poses a challenge. The good thing is that at the end of it I add a new learning which would definitely benefit me in understanding the process wholistically.

The most enjoyable part of my job is the interactions I have with people from various countries and backgrounds. I interact with the US managers, the European managers, also with our partner companies which are in India and their employees. Dealing with each and every one of them and understanding their requirements is quite challenging and I love this challenge and give my best in addressing such varied requirements.

I have formed bonds which go beyond professional relationship and carry over to the weekends when we prefer gathering at a colleagues place either for a dinner party or plan for drives together and enjoy life outside office. – less
A Great company to work for
Field Representative (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAAugust 7, 2013
One of the best companies that I have ever worked for. I have only positive things to say about this company.
Good place to learn
Research Interviewer (Former Employee), Radcliff, KYAugust 7, 2013
Pros: employees receive incentives when they work overtime and have good performance.
Cons: rarely reviewed employees performance.
You learn a lot about call centers and about how TV ratings come about. Nice employees that are really enthusiastic.
was a ok job had some issues
Receptionist (Former Employee), Radcliff, KYAugust 6, 2013
management could have been better and more helpful with concerns and or complaints.
Fun place to work, lots room for advancement
Data Production Associate UK (Current Employee), Oldsmar, FLAugust 5, 2013
Typical day consists of meetings or group huddles, jumping into the work process and helping the team out whenever you can.
Good Company
Field Executive (DA Executive) (Former Employee), DelhiAugust 5, 2013
This is largest MR in India in 2nd number. All will work Hard.
Good working place
DA Auditor (Current Employee), Guwahati, ASJuly 31, 2013
Good working place,
Learned how to deal in the market,
Management is good,
Co workers are excellent, enjoyable.
Hardest part of the work is that, the work pressure is too much comparision to the salary given by the company.
Enjoyable part is that, each and every co worker is frank in nature, and when we go to the field, we can meet various kind of people, – more... it is very enjoyable to deal with them. – less
Awful
Product Placement Analyst (Former Employee), Shelton, CTJuly 30, 2013
Offshored most of the office to save money. Managers didn't even have college degrees, which was laughable.

About The Nielsen Company

Do you know what consumers buy? What consumers watch? Nielsen Knows! Nielsen is the world’s leading marketing and media – Read more

The Nielsen Company Photos