The Nielsen Company

The Nielsen Company Employee Reviews

easy work; unbelievably long winded surveys
Research Interviewer (Current Employee) –  Work from Home18 May 2016
It's easy work but the amount of reading in surveys lasting 30-45 minutes. Some are shorter but from my own experience, the majority of the surveys are very long. My first impression of Nielsen was great because of the work from home component; they pay you as agreed and offer benefits. When the honeymoon phase is over, it becomes so mundane and boring that I would prefer to work part time elsewhere.
Pros
It's easy work, $ / h is not bad and working at home is awesome. Great for anyone working 2 jobs.
Cons
Surveys with so much text to read and you have to read it verbatim, Supervisors seem to be young and inexperienced.
convenient and fun
Research Interviewer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 August 2016
allows you to work from home and to choose your own days and hours for work, pay and benefits are good for an at home position
Pros
work from home
Cons
inconsistent work
Easy but extremely repetitive work
Research Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Montreal, QC17 May 2016
The job is simple, you just read what is written on a computer screen in front of you, however is somewhat mind numbing and the incentives bonuses do not seem to follow the most beneficial or logical system.
Easy environment to work in for a stable position. They fire you based on a merit system so there is rarely anything unexpected in terms of job security.
Pros
Take your breaks whenever you want
Cons
You stare at a screen reading the same thing over and over all day
productive workplace
Call Centre Representative (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC12 February 2016
a typical day at work would be coming in at the time my shift starts and getting assigned to a seat as well as a project and any other details or instructions about it.

I learned how to deal with people, how to work with people and how to deal with angry people who picked up the phone.
my co- workers were mostly people around my age going to school so it was nice being around a cool and collected environment. the hardest part of my job was the long hours and how they would usually try to make you work another hour. the other hard thing was dealing with angry people. Although, i did enjoy working there since it was in downtown and near where i live. i had friends who i talked too as well. it was fun because my co workers would turn the projects into games or competition
Pros
breaks were good
New management
Survey Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 December 2015
If you're looking for work at home this job is the best job to have. It used to be a fast and convenient way to make money by sitting at home on the phone.

Personally I have worked for this company over the past four years and recently my experience with management made me leave. They're taking nit picking way too far on the morning shifts. Although being on the morning shifts means you have to be more professional it doesn't mean you have to be perfect.

I recently recommended a family member for this position and although he had top five productivity they fired him because of nit picking. This used to be a great job to make extra cash but now I wouldn't recommend anyone to work there.
Pros
work at home
Cons
bad management
An opportunistic company for individuals who are willing to make the commitment, take risk and failure to excel and succeed.
Vice President - National Field Operations (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON8 June 2015
. There has never been a typical day at Nielsen, as VP of Operations which was the later part of my career I would review the status of the overnight ratings provide to the TV Networks, Agencies and Advertisers to ensure that the quality of the data met their standards. All anomalies where investigated. Managed staff, budgets, client and internal operational meetings.

. Given empowerment and the willingness to fail your way to success you can grow the business, but more importantly yourself.

. Management has been great and was always there to help those that wanted to help themselves.

. Over the years I have bonded with several co-workers and still remain in contact with them. The way I look at things is that I can always get along with anyone whether we agree to agree or disagree.

. The evolution in technology was for every changing and as part of my responsibility we had to monitor the viewing habits of all people and the technology they use to view television on.

. What I enjoyed was knowing that you were given a sample of the population the opportunity to provide them with the empowerment to tell the industry what was important and relevant to the TV viewing of Canadians.
Pros
Technology, Opportunity, Company
Cons
Technology
Top notch engineering company
Consultant (Current Employee) –  Calgary1 April 2015
Good place to work, fun crew. Great variety of work. Got paid promptly. Competitive wages. Good clients. Good management. Everything that you need to do the job is available. Had a great Christmas party!!
Pros
Excellent knowledgeable management, great location
Cons
parking is expensive
low paying, low motivation, little advancement opportuinites
Research Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC13 April 2015
If you only speak English in Montréal or you need a job fast this is for you. Don't stay too long though, you will never earn a lot of money and they really don't care about you as an employee.
Pros
set own schedule
Cons
company is very un-willing to pay you for a job well done.
Starter Company
Business Manager (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON7 May 2015
Great people, but poor management. Ability to work from home at times. Great way to learn about various companies.
Good place to learn if coming out of school.
Good work/life balance
Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON28 June 2014
Great company to work for, minimal opportunity for growth and advance in the career.
Pros
Tech Savvy
Cons
No opportunity for growth
Fun, challenging and learning new thing everyday
Technical Analyst (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON1 March 2014
Staff are great, learn to build computer and test new software. Management are very friendly. Have a good lunch cafeteria.
Pros
Apply new technology in the market
Cons
short contract
Productive and friendly environment
Part time Interviewer (Current Employee) –  Bahrain 17 June 2013
Opportunity to meet people with different experience and skills.
Daily we will get a chance to enhance our knowledge.
Friendly atmosphere and good management.
Good company to work for, would like to go back again
- most clients are CPG & retail
- good contacts
- great exposure
fun workplace
Client information support specialist (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC17 September 2014
There is a good balance between working hard, learning and having fun while you are working. As we work in the CPG industry it is very interesting to learn about the different categories in the Market. Hair care, deli-meat, Yogurt, Beer. There is always something to learn
Great Company
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Markham11 May 2013
Pros
- Great place to learn
- Room for advancement

Cons
- Bureaucracy
- Pay
Great place to work!! Easy to balance life and work.
Client Information Specialist (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON7 February 2013
It was great to work in a team of 9 people. We helped each other out and asked for help if any issues or questions.

It was easy to balance both life and work.
Pros
fun enviroment
Cons
no training provided to move on to the next steps
Nice and Relaxing..no pressure
Client Information Specialist (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON22 February 2013
It was great, but things changed once the company decided to re-structure and off-shore work.
very pleasant place of work
Market Research Interviewer (Current Employee) –  Montreal21 October 2014
the hours are flexible, the staff understanding and helpful