The Nature Conservancy

The Nature Conservancy Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
site seeing, bird watching, finding artifacts, interviewing people, getting to know people and reinvent the community
Landownership Archivist (Former Employee), Town Hall at St. George's, NLMarch 1, 2013
Pros: getting pictures from the residents, putting pictures together for stories surrounding the community of sandy point.
Cons: not all residents knew if their parents owned land.
A typical day at work was collecting data from the local Surveyor, such as Government Grants, Deeds and any other land information possible. Interviewing residents of Sandy Point. Getting to know the people who lived there and how it was to live on an Island with no vehicles except for horse and buggy. Collecting information on Landownership.

There – more... was plenty to learn. The way they lived with no electricity, They used wind chargers. They traveled to the main lands through boat and ships. There were shipwrecks and ship sinking. The community was split between religions, Catholic living Up Along and Protestants living Down Along. They interacted with each other, Involved both priest in their ceremonies and funerals. They abandoned the community around the late 60's during the installation of the train and because of lack of doctors and travel and other modern day utilities.

Management was in St. John's, NL but was always available for any questions or supplies.

Co-workers were always available to help and to supply travel to and from the community.

The hardest part of the job was learning how much the residents loved their community and having to look at their parent's homes in vandalism and ruin when they would visit their home town of Sandy Point.

The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting the people from Sandy Point. Spending time with them and learning how they managed with what they had. I remember students coming to our class from Sandy Point. How we have evolved. – less
it empowered students to excel their studies
Intern (Former Employee), New York, NYAugust 16, 2014
Pros: new connections with the people you meet
it was a paid internship traveled to Arizona to help construct community based projects, we mapped out an eliminated invasive plants and trees, and other community based projects with students and the Nature Conservancy Agencies. i Learned that you can do any thing ones you set your mind to it an knowing that you have experience outdoors activity we – more... can recreate a more better lifestyle for our self an the community around us. i enjoyed meeting new people and getting to know my pairs – less
Loved it
Intern (Former Employee), Dublin, OHMay 22, 2014
I loved my internship here. I wish I could find a full time job inside the company.
Amazing Company
Strike Team Specialist (Former Employee), Rock Creek, OhioApril 23, 2014
Pros: to many to list
Cons: grant funded (temporary position)
A typical day involved identifying and mapping invasive species of plants through ArcGIS, the management is full of great people who genuinely care about the employees and the work they do. The hardest part of the job is being able to hike 10 hours a day with up to 40lbs on your back, and the most enjoyable part is the beautiful nature that surrounds – more... you. It is a great place to learn many aspects of conservation, plant identification and wetland ecology. Would highly recommend! – less
Interactive and passionate people to work with.
Land Stewardship Intern (Former Employee), Delmont, NJApril 22, 2014
- I conducted nature preserve site inspections to note any data of vandalism, illegal dumping, invasive species report, and community outreach.

- I learned the importance and amount of resources that are needed to maintain nature preserve integrity.

- The management was very thorough and consistent. Always made sure the team understood the tasks and – more... were always there for assistance.

- The most difficult part of the job was working a school schedule around volunteer hours.

- The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing that my work and data collection would enhance the integrity of nature preserves. – less
Work that makes a difference
Land Protection Specialist (Former Employee), Nassawadox, VAApril 14, 2014
Every role makes a difference at The Nature Conservancy. It was an honor to be a part of such a progressive and effective organization.
Exciting and Interactive outdoor work
Part-time Summer Intern (Former Employee), Snow Hill, MDFebruary 12, 2014
The Nature Conservancy provides a lot of welcoming opportunities to forward your career through working in the environment. The projects are exciting and the people you work with are experienced and teach you new techniques. As an intern, its one of the best ways to get on hands work and learn something more than sitting at a desk.
Once had a great mission and set of goals now reduced to fundraising and "policy change".
Prescribed Fire Crew (Former Employee), Throughout the USJanuary 24, 2014
Pros: relaxed atmosphere, easy work environment
Cons: management change, focus towards fundraising forgoing the original goal of saving truly great places, job security
I have worked for The Nature Conservancy for over ten years off and on doing mostly seasonal fire work. It was a great place to work and learn until management changed a few years ago. Now there is a large focus on fundraising, government relations, and policy change.
This is in stark contrast from the on the ground conservation effort that was at the – more... heart of The Nature Conservancy. I know people who had been employed by The Nature Conservancy for many years starting to leave in favor of a more true conservation minded organization. It is such a shame because it used to be such a rewarding place to work. In short if you are truly interested in real conservation work and "saving the best places on Earth" I would advise against The Nature Conservancy. – less
A challenging and fun work environment
Stewardship Intern (Former Employee), Boulder, COJanuary 20, 2014
Pros: the positive and energetic work atmosphere
My typical work day was enjoying the great out doors doing field work on various conservation easements. I became more familiar with the flora and fauna of Colorado's ecosystems along with how to perform ecological assessments. My supervisors were great and very helpful with any project I was working on. The most enjoyable part of my job was literally – more... everything because I truly enjoyed what I did as it was making a difference for our planet. – less
good
Invasive species crew member (Former Employee), Elkins, WVJanuary 19, 2014
Worked as part of the CWPMA invasive species crew in all weather conditions. Monitored sites before and after treatment. Treated Hemlock Wooly Adelgid. Planted grass seed. Read maps. Coordinated with various agencies, groups, and landowners. On one occasion, assisted Forest Service personnel when they monitored rare plant species.
Fun and adventurous job in the outdoors.
Forestry Intern (Former Employee), Astoria, ORJanuary 7, 2014
A typical day working for the nauture conservancy included hiking through rainforest on the Washington coast. It was a very independent job and most of my time was spent working alone. The management was very good. Both of my boses worked well together and they where very clear with telling me what they wanted me to do. The hardest part of the job was – more... getting used to being alone in the woods by myself all day. The most enjoyable part of the job was being in the rainforest all day. – less
Excellent place to work!
Receptionist/Admin Assistant (Former Employee), Seattle, WASeptember 18, 2013
Pros: pay, benefits, coworkers, job culture
Cons: some layoffs on project specific jobs
I really respected my coworkers and the work that we did. Great benefits, decent pay (especially for a non-profit) and they definitely promote career advancement within the organization.
low pay, no room for advancement. Good balance of personal life.
Conservation Practitioner I (Current Employee), OklahomaSeptember 2, 2013
Pros: good amount of freedom. balance of personal life.
Cons: very low pay. not much oppurtunity for adavancement.
The pay is very low for the education required. Very low oppurtunity for advancement. Upper management somewhat detatched from preserves. Different types of work for diffierent seasons. Get to work outside most of the time and get a good amount of freedom in your work. Very understanding to family matters and personal life. The management that I've – more... observed basically does no work. – less
A great company with good mission and strategies
Consultant (Current Employee), New York, NYJuly 14, 2013
Nice people to work with. Staff are very knowledgeable in their subject areas.
Innovative organization
Conservation Program Coordinator (Current Employee), Gainesville, FLJuly 1, 2013
Pros: innovative and entreprenurial
The Nature Conservancy works hard to live up to its mission, but it also believes in adaptive management. One of the things about the Conservancy is the willingness of everyone to share what they know and to teach others without criticism.
Volulnteering
Volunteer (Current Employee), Arlington VAApril 24, 2013
This has been a wonderful learning experience and a huge opportunity for professional growth. I have networked with wonderful people and kept my professionalism sharp.

June 7, 2013

This job posted requires near 100% travel. It is a road warrior job which should be in the description.

Great company
Outreach Coordinator (Former Employee), ColoradoApril 17, 2013
Great company to work for, especially for young adults coming straight out of college. Offers unique experiences for all of those nature lovers out there.
well managed
Marketing Intern (Current Employee), New York, NYApril 15, 2013
- I learned time management while working on many different tasks

- The management team is very supportive

- I really enjoyed researching partnerships
Coral Reef And Coastal Community Resilience Intern (Former Employee), Seattle, WAApril 12, 2013
I enjoyed the organizational culture of the Nature Conservancy: A group of devoted people for sustainability and conservation. Right up my alley!
Amazing Organization
Philanthropy Coordinator (Former Employee), Houston, TXJanuary 18, 2013
What The Nature Conservancy does is instrumental, and quite honestly it is amazing in everything they accomplish. Working there was a great learning experience.