The Mustard Seed is a Christian humanitarian organization whose vision is to: Build community, grow hope and support change. Following the example of Jesus, our mission is to deliver basic services, housing and employment programs to those in need and to partner with the community to address the root causes of poverty. We create opportunity for many to engage with their community in a productive and healthy manner and to worship God through acts of compassion.
We are seeking enthusiastic individuals to work in a fast-paced, multi-task environment. At The Mustard Seed, you will have the opportunity to participate in a team that is committed to providing care with respect, and nurturing the seeds of change in the lives of our guests and residents.
The Employment Coach is a city-wide leader in supporting Calgary’s homeless in finding and keeping sustainable employment. The Coach works collaboratively with other members of the Employment Team, employers and other Mustard Seed departments as well as external agencies to break the stigmas of homelessness and help guests achieve their employment goals. The Employment Coach is an exceptional liaison to employers, is effective in uncovering employment opportunities and excels at providing front-end and follow-up support to guests. When applicable, the Employment Coach connects clients to other agencies for appropriate support.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Effectively and competently use the Supported Employment model to move guests towards The Mustard Seed’s employment initiatives;
- Collaborate closely with the Employment Manager and Employment Intake Facilitator to link guests to potential employers;
- Make two (2) face-to-face contacts with potential employers each week;
- Connect regularly with existing employers to advocate for clients and foster relationships;
- Use Motivational Interviewing to help guests progress toward their employment goals;
- Set personal, financial and employment goals with guests and review regularly;
- Provide support and crisis intervention to both guests and employers as necessary;
- Document all guest interactions and progress;
- Work collaboratively with other Mustard Seed program areas as well as external agencies and refer guests to their case managers when needed;
- Meet weekly with Employment Manager to evaluate your progress;
- Attend meetings and training as required;
- Other duties as required;
- Involve volunteers in all of the above.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- Degree/Diploma in Human Services field or 2 years related work experience;
- Strong working knowledge in Microsoft Office Programs (i.e., Word, Outlook, Excel, etc.);
- Valid Driver’s License (Class 5);
- Excellent organization and time management skills;
- A self-starter with the ability to work in a cross-functional team;
- Ability to accomplish goals with minimal supervision;
- Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal skills.
- This is a temporary fulltime position. Location = Calgary, downtown;
- Combination of community and office setting with approximately 70% of time spent in the field – using Mustard Seed vehicles;
- Start date is November 12, 2012;
- As we are a Christian ministry, we require our employees to be in agreement with our statement of faith.
Please forward cover letter and resume by: November 02, 2012 to:
The Mustard Seed
102 11 Ave SE, Calgary AB, T2G 0X5
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Please include the position title in the subject line of your correspondence. No phone calls please. Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Mustard Seed jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date.