The Mustard Seed is a Christian humanitarian organization whose vision is to: Build community, grow hope and support change. Following the example of Jesus, our mission is to deliver basic services, housing and employment programs to those in need and to partner with the community to address the root causes of poverty. We create opportunity for many to engage with their community in a productive and healthy manner and to worship God through acts of compassion.
We are seeking enthusiastic individuals to work in a fast-paced, multi-task environment. At The Mustard Seed, you will have the opportunity to participate in a team that is committed to providing care with respect, and nurturing the seeds of change in the lives of our guests and residents.
Reporting to the Director of Development, the Development Officer is responsible for the management and cultivation of donor relationships with individuals, churches, the corporate sector and foundations. The Development Officer works collaboratively with colleagues to develop implement and execute fundraising plans aligned with the strategic plan to achieve organizational goals and objectives.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist in developing, implementing and managing integrated fundraising programs to attract major gifts and monthly donors;
- Develop and maintain strong donor relationships through regular communications and personal visits when appropriate;
- Qualify and cultivate prospective donors for monthly giving and major giving;
- Develop and propose strategies for solicitation of major gifts, including: determining ongoing relationships with prospect/donor; recommending specific purpose and level of gift; identifying those to be involved in cultivation and subsequent solicitation; assuring that solicitations are carried out, and that effective and appropriate stewardship is executed;
- Develop and implement programs for major gifts and annual giving development, process documentation and improvement, and progress tracking. Work closely with other development staff to insure effective coordination of effort with their programs and to reinforce the prospect relationship continuum;
- Prepare funding proposals; draft written correspondence, reports, presentations and other materials to support ongoing donor development;
- Identify opportunities to promote in-honour, in-memory and monthly giving programs;
- Design thank you letters for various appeals;
- Work with Director in development, monitoring and adherence to budget;
- Local travel is expected; some travel between Edmonton and Calgary will be required.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- Candidates must have a university degree in a related field, with a minimum of three years of development experience; demonstrated track record in major gifts and annual giving fundraising preferred;
- Self-motivated, proactive, energetic, creative and goal-oriented with superior interpersonal skills;
- Possess excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team to manage multiple projects;
- Demonstrated experience with Microsoft Office Suite and fundraising database software;
- Membership in AFP is a definite asset;
- Interest in participating in a Christian organization focused on supporting people living in poverty;
- Be able to assent to The Mustard Seed Statement of Faith;
- Be willing to submit to an employment security check.
- This is a fulltime permanent position. Location = Calgary, Downtown;
- Start date is ASAP;
- As we are a Christian ministry, we require our employees to be in agreement with our statement of faith.
Please forward cover letter and resume by: November 30, 2012 to:
The Mustard Seed
102 11 Ave SE, Calgary AB, T2G 0X5
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Please include the position title in the subject line of your correspondence. No phone calls please. Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Mustard Seed jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date.