The Mobile Shop

The Mobile Shop Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Poor management, very miserable
Mobile Advisor (Former Employee), London, ONJuly 11, 2015
Pros: Discount on cell phone plans
Cons: Everything else
One of the most miserable places I have worked for. Whenever we had an issue we were told that we couldn't contact HR and we just had to "deal with it". Cut away all of our hours until they just hired someone else to take the hours. My manager admitted to me that they had no reason to fire me but they were cutting my hours in the hopes I would quit. Would never recommend!
Great place to work at
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJuly 2, 2015
Great place to work we sold all the mobile carriers in the area, loved the sales, customers and the products and plans we had.
Horrible Company reflects poorly for Loblaws
Store Manager (Former Employee), OntarioMay 19, 2015
Pros: leaving!
You give everything you have to work hard for a company and it just gets thrown back in your face. There is zero appreciation for what you do, unless you're a few specific people.

Head office are so two faced and will slice and dice you the first moment they get.

Don't ever try to have an opinion or voice concern because it will bite you in the end.

Horrible pay, horrible position of kiosk and in line stores, very high turnover for all positions except the two faced liars in head office.

I've worked for many cellular carriers and this was by far the worst career decision I ever made. It will not help to grow your management or career development. Thankfully I've come out on top and the company knows it.
Overall enjoyable job (depending on the store)
Wireless Advisor (Former Employee), Oakville, ONApril 8, 2015
Pros: Presenting the latest and greatest devices and gadgets.
Cons: Long hours. Traffic in Loblaws can be slow at times.
A day at work would consist of cash in the till.
Catch up on emails.
Update pricing sheet and pricing cards.
Begin brand awareness among Loblaws shoppers.

I learned that The Mobile Shop is not as pushy as other wireless banners.
Kiosk management is sub par, depending who you're working with.
(new or experienced)

Co workers are fun to be around (at the most part)
Majority of the time is – more... spent working alone (depending on the store)

The hardest part of the job is the brand awareness. Mingling with customers who "have other things to do". I understand.. they're in Loblaws to get their groceries. Bridging the connection between Loblaws for groceries and Loblaws for cellphones can be challenging.

The most enjoyable part of the job is presenting and being exposed to the latest gadgets.

Overall, it was a great experience. – less
The Mobile Shop
Mobile Advisor (Current Employee), Spruce Grove, ABFebruary 21, 2015
Good place to work, good people, poor management but commission is good, love working with customer service and the environment is good
Productive and fun place to work
Store Manager (Former Employee), Grimsby, OntarioFebruary 13, 2015
Pros: work with great people
Cons: business is not where it needs to be at this time
The Mobile Shop is a fairly new company that was attempting to change the way people buy wireless. It's new and innovative concept of approaching grocery store clients has really been a change in direction for the cell phone industry. I enjoy this job because it gives people that are in sales a different approach than in a mall setting where people know they are being targeted by hungry commission sales reps.
easy daily tasks
Store Manager (Former Employee), St. Catharines, ONFebruary 6, 2015
most days are slow going, the store had a poorly chosen location so some days there would be no customers at all, on busier days there would only be 3 or 4 customers
this place really test your sales ability
Sales Advisor (Former Employee), Delta, BCNovember 24, 2014
Every day is a challenge in this place . Because you have to sell phones in a place people least expecting to find one .You have to be on the edge to sell but it all starts up with basic sales mantra that is creating a rapport with the customers .
Great place to develop sales skills
Mobile Advisor (Former Employee), AnonymousSeptember 10, 2014
Pros: nice entry level job. great for learning
Cons: no room for growth
Had the opportunity to be among the first group of people that integrated this company. Lots of opportunity for me to grow and learn how to put a sales technique in place. Management helped me improve my skills. Not easy to grow in this company. Great colleagues
semi annaul events
Department Manager (Current Employee), scarboroughSeptember 10, 2014
training stuff
sales targets
auditing contracts
employees shift approvals
Fast paced and engaging work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONAugust 13, 2014
Pros: sales associates held loads of responsibility
Cons: sub par commission
It was a great learning experience as the sales associates held a lot of the responsibility. Everything from promotional strategies to engaging the customer, taking care of logistics, and billing procedures was done by the sales associates. It was a fast paced environment as there was only a few employees working at a time so one was always on their toes pitching the product to a constant flow of new – more... potential clients. The coworkers were easy to get a long with and the environment of the kiosk was full of opportunity. The most difficult part of the job was trying to convey additional sales strategies to the regional management team that was never on the floor and was detached from a specific locations needs. However, the most enjoyable part was the fact that it was on the sales associates shoulders to perform. – less
High Expectations
Store Manager (Current Employee), BCJuly 23, 2014
Long hours and limited days off. High turnover of staff and low sales volumes make it difficult to achieve targets.
Flexible job with opportunity for advancement
Sales Advisor (Current Employee), Fraser ValleyJune 7, 2014
Pros: - job security and opportunity for advancement
Cons: - managers? what managers?
You aren't expected to go out of your way to make sales. However, their expectations to become an "expert" are completely unrealistic and ludicrous. It is literally almost impossible to get fired from this place, unless you commit a whole bunch of fraud or steal stuff. Management is unorganized and extremeley inefficient. I always find myself asking, "Who and from where did they hire these guys? Those guys need to be fired.".
Very cultured work environment
Mobile Advisor (Current Employee), Lethbridge, AlbertaJanuary 29, 2014
Pros: good commission/pay, great customers
Cons: long hours working by yourself, management is extremely unorganized
A typical day at work includes opening the store which means counting the cash to make sure it's all there, making sure the kiosk and surrounding area is clean, and flipping the cell phone displays so that the customers are able to view them. Then you basically have to figure out how to get customers to come to the stand and figure out if they want/need a new cell phone or a new plan/carrier and sell – more... them on it.
I learned all about how to work and utilize the different cell phones that are out there, which phone company is the best, which is the worst, which has the best prices, which is most expensive. I also learned how to make a sale.
Management isn't all that great, I haven't seen my boss in a month, he continually doesn't tell me what I'm working until the day before I have to work it, schedules me for days I said I was unavailable, etc. Very unorganized.
My coworkers, however, are great! Always help me when I have questions that need to be answered, always corrects me if I'm doing something wrong, they are very easy-going and laid-back, they are very easy to get along with and friendly!
The hardest part of the job is getting customers to come in and purchase a cell phone, there are many nights where you sit there and not talk to anybody for hours on end. And then when you do talk to a customer, it's to instruct them on how to use their phone.
The most enjoyable part of my job was when I did actually make a sale, seeing the commission that I'd earned, the rewards that I received, the coworkers are awesome, and the customers are super friendly. – less
GReat Place
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Sarnia, ONDecember 3, 2013
Pros: great manager
Cons: one unethical employee
I loved this job because I was able to convince the public to buy and receive the best deals for them. I first started at the bottom of the rating scale list and within a month I moved up to number one in Ontario. Got a raise and full time. Had to leave due to an employee taking my commissions. Overall though loved working there.
Great company, bad management.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Barrie, ONNovember 20, 2013
Pros: product knowledge before it's released to customers.
Cons: crazy hours, difficult management.
Although I loved the job itself, I was not to thrilled with the way the management worked. In the nine months that I worked there, I had had a total of five different managers, as well as working for two months without a manager. The system we used did not allow associates to do ordering or solve any problems we might of had. Therefore, nothing got done. I found the only way to get things done was – more... to reach out to the other managers and have them order to their location and then ship it to us. This worked for a while. But it takes twice as long to get the product, and you get more unhappy customers who wont return to you in the future. The schedule for the store would be posted at most one week in advance and at least three times a week I would be stuck doing a ten hour shift, by myself. In the end, the only reason I ended up leaving was because in April I had applied to take a vacation of ten days from June sixth to the sixteenth. (To which I had no problem it being an un-payed vacation) I was told there would be no issue in me taking it, so I got my stuff ready for my vacation. On the third of June I was informed that I would not be able to take my vacation due to no staffing. I called our other stores in the area and the managers were more then willing to send some employees to cover me as all of the stores had an hour budget. I brought this up to my district manager and he still told me I couldn't take it. Having everything already paid for and ready to go I told him that my last day would be the fifth of June. It had very much upset me it turned out that way. I loved the job and I was very good at it. – less
A step for retail
Pop Up Retail and Marketing (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONOctober 2, 2013
Place needs better management, they squeeze the life out of you for minimum pay. A very disorganized venture by Loblaw. Not much room for growth after store manager.
For managers ex
Store Manager (Current Employee), St. John's, NLSeptember 15, 2013
Pros: for managers, negotiable salary + commission. young company room for advancement
Cons: quality of work/life balance, limited direction, manual ordering proces
As a Manager, a lot of the work load is manual, place and maintain stock levels, communications and processes from higher ups unorganized, limited market support and Salary is less then competitive starting out. however being a multi carrier you have the opportunity to sell from a broad pool of devices and carriers, thus allowing you to find the best solution for your clients. For regular employees there is flexible hours, competitive wage + commission and regular support and incentives. Lengthy hiring process.
Highly Competitive Work Environment
Sales Representative (Former Employee), 51 Gerry Fitzgerald DriveAugust 4, 2013
Pros: great experience
Cons: evaluated as a group rather than as an individual.
The Mobile Shop has great benefits to any worker. Due to the fact that it is a multi-carrier cellphone company, it allows Sales Associates to acquire a wide variety of experience with the different service providers.

The management is definitely tough on sales, and they expect a quota to be fulfilled each month. This is a highly competitive work environment which is driven by sales. The most enjoyable – more... part of this job is that a Sales Associate gets to interact directly with his/her customers and gains invaluable knowledge and expertise in customer service and sales.

The only backlash to this job, is that because of how competitive it is, Sales Associates can feel a great deal of pressure, and their job security depends on their ability to meet the quota. I would not recommend this job for anyone who isn't ready to actively try and produce sales. – less
Avery good company
Sales Service Representative (Former Employee), London, ONJuly 31, 2013
The company has a good working environment.
The company helps you grow and move forward by offering promotions if you deserve them.