The Mobile Shop Employee Reviews

Waste of time
Mobile Expert (Former Employee) –  Stratford, ON23 September 2016
The fact that you have to earn your benefits by selling a certain amount is bad enough but it doesn't end there.

Upper management only talks to store managers, not to the reps. As such, there is little accountability for the managers since the staff can't express problems or concerns.

Pay is poor at best.

I was hired as a full time rep but only got 20 - 25 hours for the last year there.

Since I left last year they have gone through more people as the manager is bad but not held accountable.

Avoid at all costs.
Pros
I don't work there anymore
Cons
Poor commission, terrible ethics, awful management
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON15 June 2016
I was hired as a lead advisor and it is by far the single worst job I have ever had in my life. No recognition for the reps. A sexist area manager. Just a terrible terrible environment to work for. Wish I had listened to the reviews on here and reviews of friends. The exclusion and anxiety you feel working somewhere like this is awful. I would never recommend anyone work for the Mobile Shop ever.
Pros
Cons
Area manager, no job security, no recognition
Fun environment and strong leadership
Mobile Advisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 December 2016
The Mobile Shop has a great culture and is a fun work environment, the leadership team was great to work with as well as my peers.
Mobile Kiosk
Mobile Advisor (Former Employee) –  London, ON26 April 2016
The Mobile Shops are located all through Canada in the Super Stores and Loblaw locations. The support you receive from management helped me a great deal. About 3 years ago I decided to transfer from Ontario to Alberta and with Mobile Shops help it was breeze. When they have talented employees they will do whatever they have to keep them and accommodate you the best way they can. I cant thank them enough for everything they did for me int he past years that I was employed there!
Horrible Company reflects poorly for Loblaws
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Ontario19 May 2015
You give everything you have to work hard for a company and it just gets thrown back in your face. There is zero appreciation for what you do, unless you're a few specific people.

Head office are so two faced and will slice and dice you the first moment they get.

Don't ever try to have an opinion or voice concern because it will bite you in the end.

Horrible pay, horrible position of kiosk and in line stores, very high turnover for all positions except the two faced liars in head office.

I've worked for many cellular carriers and this was by far the worst career decision I ever made. It will not help to grow your management or career development. Thankfully I've come out on top and the company knows it.
Pros
leaving!
Highly Competitive Work Environment
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  51 Gerry Fitzgerald Drive4 August 2013
The Mobile Shop has great benefits to any worker. Due to the fact that it is a multi-carrier cellphone company, it allows Sales Associates to acquire a wide variety of experience with the different service providers.

The management is definitely tough on sales, and they expect a quota to be fulfilled each month. This is a highly competitive work environment which is driven by sales. The most enjoyable part of this job is that a Sales Associate gets to interact directly with his/her customers and gains invaluable knowledge and expertise in customer service and sales.

The only backlash to this job, is that because of how competitive it is, Sales Associates can feel a great deal of pressure, and their job security depends on their ability to meet the quota. I would not recommend this job for anyone who isn't ready to actively try and produce sales.
Pros
Great experience
Cons
Evaluated as a group rather than as an individual.
For managers ex
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL15 September 2013
As a Manager, a lot of the work load is manual, place and maintain stock levels, communications and processes from higher ups unorganized, limited market support and Salary is less then competitive starting out. however being a multi carrier you have the opportunity to sell from a broad pool of devices and carriers, thus allowing you to find the best solution for your clients. For regular employees there is flexible hours, competitive wage + commission and regular support and incentives. Lengthy hiring process.
Pros
For managers, negotiable salary + commission. Young company room for advancement
Cons
Quality of work/life balance, limited direction, manual ordering proces
Overall enjoyable job (depending on the store)
Wireless Advisor (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON8 April 2015
A day at work would consist of cash in the till.
Catch up on emails.
Update pricing sheet and pricing cards.
Begin brand awareness among Loblaws shoppers.

I learned that The Mobile Shop is not as pushy as other wireless banners.
Kiosk management is sub par, depending who you're working with.
(new or experienced)

Co workers are fun to be around (at the most part)
Majority of the time is spent working alone (depending on the store)

The hardest part of the job is the brand awareness. Mingling with customers who "have other things to do". I understand.. they're in Loblaws to get their groceries. Bridging the connection between Loblaws for groceries and Loblaws for cellphones can be challenging.

The most enjoyable part of the job is presenting and being exposed to the latest gadgets.

Overall, it was a great experience.
Pros
Presenting the latest and greatest devices and gadgets.
Cons
Long hours. Traffic in Loblaws can be slow at times.
Fast paced and engaging work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON13 August 2014
It was a great learning experience as the sales associates held a lot of the responsibility. Everything from promotional strategies to engaging the customer, taking care of logistics, and billing procedures was done by the sales associates. It was a fast paced environment as there was only a few employees working at a time so one was always on their toes pitching the product to a constant flow of new potential clients. The coworkers were easy to get a long with and the environment of the kiosk was full of opportunity. The most difficult part of the job was trying to convey additional sales strategies to the regional management team that was never on the floor and was detached from a specific locations needs. However, the most enjoyable part was the fact that it was on the sales associates shoulders to perform.
Pros
Sales associates held loads of responsibility
Cons
Sub par commission
No day is the same
Mobile Expert (Current Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ON17 July 2013
- must have strong customer care skills
- must be able to retain a lot of information and willing to do training constantly
- technology changes so fast that there is a lot of training with different providers
- have to be able to think outside of the box since it is a kiosk in a grocery store to get sales for commission
- management manages behaviours not numbers for targets
- most enjoyable part is taking a negative experience for a customer and making it a positive experience especially since majority of clients is an older generation that is new to cell phones
- hardest part is can be very stressful at times since dealing with so many providers and its customer service. Have to be able to explain every detail several times to clients
- fun environment
Pros
fulltime has benefits, its a job, get to deal with new technology
Cons
commission, pays twice a month, drug benefits 80% to max $1000
Glad I left
Mobile advisor (Former Employee) –  Vancouver24 October 2015
Not very happy. Glad I left. Management was horrible. Lack of training. The upper management play favouritism game. Commissions were low compared to other companies. My suggestion get out while you can. So many companies out there who would treat you and pay you better for the amount of effort you put in. Standing for long periods of time. Only one half hour break in a 8 hour shift . Very low standard job.
Pros
When it was time to go home
Cons
Flexible job with opportunity for advancement
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Fraser Valley7 June 2014
You aren't expected to go out of your way to make sales. However, their expectations to become an "expert" are completely unrealistic and ludicrous. It is literally almost impossible to get fired from this place, unless you commit a whole bunch of fraud or steal stuff. Management is unorganized and extremeley inefficient. I always find myself asking, "Who and from where did they hire these guys? Those guys need to be fired.".
Pros
- Job security and opportunity for advancement
Cons
- Managers? What managers?
Does pay well
Assistant store manager (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK12 November 2015
The mobile shop does not pay enough money, there is no job culture. Managment does not communicate with Sales staff. they are only in touch with managers
Being a Mobile Advisor
Mobile Advisor (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON1 November 2015
Some people aren't comfortable with the environment at first due to the fact that not everyone is able to intercept with customers. People are afraid of what the people might say or make the mistake of giving wrong information. I learned that people will walk in just to try and ruin your day. The hardest part of the job would have to be getting a customer to sign up for a phone and keep the service. The enjoyable part would have to be when you sell. Co-workers are great, had no problem getting along with them.
Pros
Commission
Cons
Dead days (no sales)
GReat Place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON3 December 2013
I loved this job because I was able to convince the public to buy and receive the best deals for them. I first started at the bottom of the rating scale list and within a month I moved up to number one in Ontario. Got a raise and full time. Had to leave due to an employee taking my commissions. Overall though loved working there.
Pros
Great manager
Cons
One unethical employee
Phone sales
Training Prime (Former Employee) –  Bradford27 August 2015
The company has a lot to learn and need to work out their commission system or increase their base for management. They have trouble keeping staff because the environment can be very boring and not all locations work with you. They have limited inventory and need to put bonuses to better use.
head office and upper management garbage
Kiosk Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON25 August 2015
waste of time asking for support from upper management.

all a favouritism game...

wish i didn't put so much time and effort into this place
Pros
management rallys
Cons
everything else
Great place to develop sales skills
Mobile Advisor (Former Employee) –  Anonymous10 September 2014
Had the opportunity to be among the first group of people that integrated this company. Lots of opportunity for me to grow and learn how to put a sales technique in place. Management helped me improve my skills. Not easy to grow in this company. Great colleagues
Pros
Nice entry level job. Great for learning
Cons
No room for growth
Fast paced with never ending opportunities
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Ontario11 April 2013
Kiosk and In-line stores.
Enjoyable environment where you get to interact with local customers on reoccurring circumstances, creating lifelong customers. Management is encouraging of growth and success. The hardest part of the job is staying focused on a slow day, but finding ways to drive business is a great asset. The most enjoyable part of the job is the interactions with customers where you are able to help and save them money.
Pros
commission based sale
Cons
on your feet all day
Very cultured work environment
Mobile Advisor (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, Alberta29 January 2014
A typical day at work includes opening the store which means counting the cash to make sure it's all there, making sure the kiosk and surrounding area is clean, and flipping the cell phone displays so that the customers are able to view them. Then you basically have to figure out how to get customers to come to the stand and figure out if they want/need a new cell phone or a new plan/carrier and sell them on it.
I learned all about how to work and utilize the different cell phones that are out there, which phone company is the best, which is the worst, which has the best prices, which is most expensive. I also learned how to make a sale.
Management isn't all that great, I haven't seen my boss in a month, he continually doesn't tell me what I'm working until the day before I have to work it, schedules me for days I said I was unavailable, etc. Very unorganized.
My coworkers, however, are great! Always help me when I have questions that need to be answered, always corrects me if I'm doing something wrong, they are very easy-going and laid-back, they are very easy to get along with and friendly!
The hardest part of the job is getting customers to come in and purchase a cell phone, there are many nights where you sit there and not talk to anybody for hours on end. And then when you do talk to a customer, it's to instruct them on how to use their phone.
The most enjoyable part of my job was when I did actually make a sale, seeing the commission that I'd earned, the rewards that I received, the coworkers are awesome, and the customers are super friendly.
Pros
Good commission/pay, great customers
Cons
Long hours working by yourself, management is extremely unorganized

2.6