The MathWorks

The MathWorks Employee Reviews

Great company to work for if you are a Developer or QE
Business Analyst/ Software Process Engineer (Current Employee) –  Natick, MA6 November 2016
Great company to work for if you are a Developer Or Quality Engineer. Your performance will be reviewed in terms of what work you do otherwise it is difficult to survive.
You will love it!
International Sales Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Natick, MA16 September 2016
I am moving for my boyfriends new job and have to leave this amazing company because there is no location where I'm going.

Warning: This company will ruin you for life. They are incredible and I highly doubt I will be able to find a company this amazing again.

They are picky with who they hire so if you get an offer consider yourself lucky. CEO- amazing, managers- amazing, growth potential- amazing, benefits- amazing.

Ok, I'm getting repetitive. I have worked for many large companies before and none compare. I am sad to be leaving and wish MathWorks nothing but success in the future
Pros
everything
Cons
no location where I'm relocating to
Great company, but zero motivation for change
Quality Engineer (Current Employee) –  Natick, MA12 August 2016
It's a great company with great benefits, but lower salary than most other companies within the same industry. (This comes from many departments within the company). It's very hard to improve anything because it always goes back to "it's the way it's always been" situation. Managers don't notice/value the time/work hard working employees put in, which makes it very hard to move up within the company.
Pros
Great benefits/huge company outings
Cons
Lower salary, hard to move up
Productive Work Environment
Senior Embedded Developer (Current Employee) –  Bangalore, Karnataka24 July 2016
Good to work. Technical growth is good.
Work environment is also nice.
Mostly work is carried out as team work and nicely collaborated environment.
Pros
Free Fruits
Cons
Not much
Free training opportunities
Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  Beijing, China12 May 2016
The most part of the job is that MathWorks provide abroad training opportunity annualy. And it's good for career develpment.
Math Tutor
Summer Camp Intern (Former Employee) –  Austin, TX25 February 2016
Assisted with the creation of lesson plans
Learned how to teach teenagers math and make it as enjoyable as possible.
The coworkers were really involved into teaching others and helping me learn the process of teaching kids.
Had a fun internship
MATLAB Web Applications Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Natick, MA9 February 2016
I interned in Mathworks in Fall 2015. I learned about the MATLAB editor and compiler. Mathworks is a very cool place to work with.Even as a new intern, I was given a lot of responsibilities.
Great place to work!
IT Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MA18 September 2015
People first culture. Great orientation meetings to learn about the company. Collaborative environment. A lot of great talent.
Pros
5 year anniversary trip, annual Mt Washington weekend, free drinks, Wednesday breakfast, Friday cookies
Cons
Work from home policy, vacation days
Intern (Former Employee) –  Natick, MA13 August 2015
Great people, great work. Lots of interesting projects going on. I enjoyed interning here. The main focus is on quality.
One of the best companies to work for
Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Natick, MA1 July 2015
Awesome place, awesome almost everything about it. Interesting work, great people to work with, and great benefits. Pay is more than industry average, but slightly less than inner-city Boston or Cambridge (like 10% less, since they are almost an hour outside of the city).
Pros
People, Work, Environment
Cons
... none, really
Great place that cares for its people
Social Mission Intern (Current Employee) –  Boston, MA30 May 2015
MathWorks does everything it can to listen to the staff and make their lives easier. Happy people make for a collaborative culture and you feel like you make a difference.
Efficient, productive and friendly working environment
Test and Measurement Quality Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Natick, MA17 May 2015
Awesome to be worked there.

Working there gave me an immense pleasure in exploring my ideas and applying them in practical.
Nice culture
Web Application Intern (Former Employee) –  Natick8 May 2015
The work culture is very serious and focused. The food is amazing. The benefits are good. Manager was a very co-operative and nice.
Good environment to work
Software Maintenance Representative (Former Employee) –  Natick, MA2 April 2015
Worked as a sales support intern, treated me extremely well.Great co-workers, friendly atmosphere, solid amount of work and opportunity.
Review Summary
Customer Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Natick, MA27 February 2015
Atmosphere is fantastic. However, not a lot of room for career growth. Great way to gain experience. Most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that you helped make a difference for your customers.
Fun and collaborative workplace
Software Development Intern (Former Employee) –  Natick, MA11 February 2015
- Typical days at work involved team meetings, one-on-one meetings with team manager and reporting the progress every alternate day.
- Hardest part involved researching to develop the prototype for my project and debugging to get the desired result.
- Overall, An awesome place to work with a fun-loving and high-energy team where co-workers are very supportive.
Pros
Complimentary breakfast, cookies, nice teamwork
Cons
None that I can think of
Culture Promoted Does Not Permeate all Departments
Staff (Former Employee) –  Natick, MA8 January 2015
Weak Middle Management
The hardest part of the job is managing the expectations of each level from management to end-users and coworkers. Management micro-manages under the guise of collaboration. Had to play arbitrator between upper and middle management. Huge discrepancy between the role that was sold to me and the role that others expected. My manager explained role one way and my coworkers had completely different expectations of my role which caused enormous problems, then my manager was frequently absent and when present was largely unavailable to deal with infighting.

HR is like a high school clique - unapproachable and doesn't have the time for anyone not in their crew.

Recruiters will give you the rainbows and unicorns version of the company culture, but it only applies to one or two departments. Any other department is hit or miss.
Pros
Free breakfast
Great cultural fit will make for a perfect job
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Natick, MA28 October 2014
MathWorks has a strong corporate culture with variations for the team. One can tell that the executives have thought through the mission/values and they actually follow that. Most employees are very intelligent and motivated. You need to find the group that you fit in because each one is different. This also makes working across teams in a large projects difficult.
An amazing learning experience
Web Integration Engineer (Former Employee) –  Natick, MA23 March 2014
I learned a lot of team working skills, improved communication skills and had an hands on experience in working with cutting edge technologies.
Productive experience
Massachusetts, USA, Fixed Point Simulink Intern (Former Employee) –  Natick, MA19 March 2014
As a Master's student, Mathworks gave me a wonderful opportunity to learn and shape my career.
Pros
work life balance, good management