The Keg Steakhouse and Bar Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Great Place to Work
Server/Supervisor (Current Employee), TorontoSeptember 8, 2015
Pros: Team Building Exercises, Great Hours, Great People
A great place to grow and develop. One of the best restaurants I've worked at. Thorough training program combined with supportive management makes for a great environment.
Trained well, nice staff, high expectations
Hostess (Former Employee), OntarioMarch 23, 2016
Pros: Free food
Cons: Schedules posted last minute, evening shifts
Enjoyable place to work
Kind staff and coworkers
Average pay
Would return
Excellent training provided
Long time standing up
Fun job great learning experience
Line cook (Former Employee), Windsor, ONAugust 25, 2015
Pros: free food
Cons: pay and hours
The Keg Steakhouse and Bar was a good experience for me, I learned many diverse skills and the job developed me into a hard working, disciplined individual. The restaurant is always busy so I acquired a stamina and tolerance for intense situations that would be both physically and mentally demanding. The Keg is unlike any kitchen I have worked in. It operates like a factory, they have a good production line, the managers are very professional, everyone has a system and unique role in the company and they compliment each other. I really enjoyed the fast paced environment and producing good food, as well as working together with a competent team of hard working staff.
Easy going job
Host (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 9, 2016
Come in for your shift, seated guests, took phone calls, and ensured guests came and left satisfied. Ensured menus were cleaned and wiped down, friendly service, and worked as a team.
Productive and fun work place
Dining room server (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 24, 2015
Pros: Benifits/tips
Cons: longs hours
Most of my work days consist of 14 hour days. I love the people that I work with but I am looking for something a bit more stable in terms of finances. I want to be challenged and I would like to be learning something new everyday.
Great Job
Busser (Current Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 28, 2014
Pros: great job environment and you meet great guests, amazing food, love the staff
Cons: very late nights, difficult to move up (promotion)
A typical day would last about 6 hours. I would accommodate guests needs and I learned how to do so very effectively, efficiently, and successfully in terms of a guests overall satisfaction. I clear and set tables, escort guest to their tables, and occasionally run food. The management team is very strong at The Keg and so are the co-workers. Managers and co-workers are great at handling situations and the proof is in the quality of service a guest gets when they come to experience dining at The Keg. The hardest part of a job is maintaining the same quality of service to our guest when the restaurant gets busy; however the most enjoyable part is having the chance to make a persons day just a little bit better when they walk into our doors, to give them such a great experience that they leave happier than they were when they came in.
No opportunity for advancement, Long hours
Line Cook (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONJanuary 2, 2015
Mostly evenings and weekend work due to that being busy time.
Working every holiday.
Little time off.
Random work schedule. (eg nights, days)
Minimum wage
no raises
dangerous
Fun and positive environment to work!
Bartender (Former Employee), Greater Sudbury, ONJune 19, 2015
Pros: Staff discount
Going to work for the Keg everyday was great. The staff was always in a good mood and management was very helpful. An overall positive environment.
A fine dining experience in a casual atmosphere
Bartender and Bar Server (Current Employee), Waterloo, ONOctober 23, 2014
The Keg Steakhouse and Grill in Waterloo, Ontario is an amazing place to work. The other employees and the management themselves make this restaurant a fun and productive environment. I am a bartender most of the time with a bar serving position once a week. I learn so much everyday about liquor and wine everyday from this job. Also I find that the experience I have obtained at the Keg is a great foundation for a lucrative and successful restaurant career.
Great experience as a bartender/server
Server & Bartender (Former Employee), St. Catharines, ONFebruary 23, 2015
The Keg Steakhouse provided me with lots of experience in the hospitality industry. I had to learn a lot of mixed drinks in a short period of time, wine and beer knowledge, extremely face paced atmosphere, working on my own and with others. Always kept a tidy work place, helped others when they fell behind, friendly personality at the most hectic times. Management was amazing, they always were there to help when you needed them and very understanding. They made my experience there the best along with my co-workers, I was excited to go to work every day knowing I would be with them.
Poor managment
Dining Room Manager (Former Employee), Windsor, ONAugust 15, 2013
Pros: busy great location.
Cons: management unprofessional
Made great money working there but unfortunately there are a lot of politics involved between the owner and the general manager. lack of communication through the entire restaurant. Meetings are not implemented when there are changes happening with management and company products. Owner is unaware of the major problem that causes the restaurants unmotivated staff and communication issues.
Currently a hostess looking for other areas of work
Hostess (Current Employee), Saskatoon, SKJune 27, 2015
Pros: Great food good people
Cons: Not enough hours
Great place to work, friendly staff
I greet people and get tables ready for our guests.
Seat them and help run the front hostess station
Fun and fast paced environment
Salader and Busser (Current Employee), Brandon, MBSeptember 2, 2014
Pros: fun people to work with and good management
Cons: long hours
Works well under pressure and has fun with co-workers
Management is well organized
Fun, fast paced environment to work in
Server and Bartender (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBJune 9, 2014
Pros: discount, great group of people, fun
Cons: stressful, tiring
Great job. Fun and fast paced environment, always meeting new people, however it can be stressful with long hours and if management is poor (depending who is managing that day).
Team bonding and endless networking opportunities
Dining Room Server (Current Employee), Newmarket, ONMarch 19, 2013
Pros: work life balance
Cons: hard on the feet
A typical day at work begins with ensuring my uniform is neat and tidy, checking the message board for recent news, updates and our specials for the evening. Also, each server is responsible for checking our designated table sections to ensure they are ready for guests.
Weekends are our busiest days of the week, so servers are constantly on the go; greeting tables, ensuring effective communication at all times with the guest, meeting our guest experience times, demonstrating team work to support co-workers and illustrating best practice to ensure all needs of guests are met.
The most difficult part of the job is maintaining stress level when guests have numerous needs that demand more attention than most. However, these situations become opportunities to problem solve and time manage effectively.
The most enjoyable part of working at The Keg is the staff. I am a people person, and The Keg provides opportunities for team bonding. It is important to know who you are working with to better work as a team. I also enjoy working at The Keg because of all the people I meet. I am enahncing my customer service skills daily.
Overall, The Keg has an amazing team atmosphere, strong managment and has taught me what to look for in a company as I search for a career.
Productive work environment, wonderful management
Salad Station Opener/ Closer (Former Employee), Burnaby, BCJanuary 12, 2015
Pros: management
Cons: late hours
Excellent management, wonderful co-workers, the hardest part of the job was finishing between the hours of 2:00 and 3:00 AM.
Host/Busser life
Host/Busser (Former Employee), Brampton, ONMay 1, 2012
Pros: free bread and pop
Cons: rude/aggresive guests
I would have to greet and guide guest to their seats, and constantly observing the dinning room activity so I could seat more quests who were given quoted times. I also had to help clear,clean and set tables once quest left, and help out the servers with bringing food to tables on a busy day. I also had to periodically check and clean the men/ womens bathrooms, wipe down the hub bar, refill the candy baskets, wipe down menus, and prepare kids menus/utensils for the next day.

What I loved about this job is the friendly atomosphere, and the hard working team. There was never a dull moment working at the Keg! The most difficult part of the job was dealing with aggresive guests who had to wait for dinning room tables to be cleared.

The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people of different backgrounds and cultures. I felt at home.

What I've learned from working at the Keg is being able to multi-task, and even when I'm tired or stressed , I never let it show on my face-I was good at that! An upbeat personality and "always -ready- to- go" attitude, was benificial.
Extremely fun, productive and busy workplace.
Server (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABMay 13, 2013
Pros: good money, great people, flexible hours
Cons: long hours, short break, low wage
Everyday I communicate with guests and co-workers around me. I've learned the value of communication and teamwork. Everyone who works in the restaurant works together in order to achieve a common goal, which is to serve the public and keep them and ourselves happy. Even though it does get stressful when we become busy, and many guests can be difficult. At the end of the day the pros weigh out the cons. I enjoy socializing with my coworkers and I enjoy the fast pace.
Waiting tables and customer service expert
Waiter (Current Employee), VaughanMarch 30, 2015
Pros: Treated Like Family
Cons: None really
Excellent work place. Working at the keg is more then just work its living with a close well rounded family. You grow as a unit and the workplace is incredible.
Fast paced, no breaks
hostess (Former Employee), Niagara Falls, ONMarch 4, 2014
Pros: received tips
Cons: long hours
The Keg Steakhouse and Bar was a great experience for me as I gained knowledge about the restaurant business. I worked at The Keg in Niagara Falls and I gained experience about the tourism industry as well.
However, the restaurant business was not for me. Very long hours and employers didn't receive any breaks during their shifts.