The Keg Steakhouse and Bar

The Keg Steakhouse and Bar Employee Reviews

Experience with meeting new people in a fast-paced enviroment
Bartender/Bar Server (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON9 January 2017
I love working for the Keg. I have been employed there for many years. It started when I was in first year university and I have continued to work there thru the birth of my son as well as returning after maternity leave. It is a wonderful place to work allowing everyday to be something different and always meeting new people.
Pros
Everyday is different
Cons
Working evenings
busy, and on going
Busser (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON19 December 2016
A typical day a the keg for me was stressful, but fun. The reason for it being stressful is because we would get rush hour and that's when everyone started to run around and freak out because servers would be getting tables that they didnt have time for etc. The co-workers at the keg weren't the greatest towards me(not taking shifts when i did it for them,being rude,calling me names) which is why i stopped working there. Ive learned that i will work with people that i do not like from working at the keg, and im excited to start a new job.
Pros
the last friday of every month was staff appreciation(food, desserts)
Cons
rush hour
Great environment and Experience
Server (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON17 February 2017
The Keg was a great place to work. The management and staff were all positive and happy to be at work. Teamwork was important and the high energy atmosphere created a great workplace environment. I would have loved to keep this job, however they weren't able to offer me as many shifts as I need to be financially stable.
Pros
Great staff and management
Cons
Not enough hours
Warm and welcoming workplace
Hostess (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON29 December 2016
Proud to work for such a great company. The entire team is welcoming and inclusive. Management gives helpful constructive criticism. Usually fast pace and high energy. Fun during both busy and slow seasons.
Nice place
Busser (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB22 January 2017
Good staff, nice managers, fast paced environment can be stressful to some but its an exhilarating job for energized, enthusiastic people also discounts on food is a great thing
Great Company Culture
Server (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 November 2016
The company has a great culture, they definitely take good care of all their staff. Not only on a shift by shift basis but many events are available to staff as well.
great place to work
Hostess (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON22 December 2016
good company culture with great management that provides and almost family-like environment. schedules are good and pay is good. good place to work
good work place
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON10 February 2017
A great workplace, with lots of great people and good management.
The typical day was busy and productive serving many guests each evening.
Great place to get started in the industry!
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 May 2016
Great training program, room to move around and explore other positions, good management structure. You can work as little or as much as you want usually.
Pros
Free Snacks
Cons
Young Employees
Trained well, nice staff, high expectations
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Ontario23 March 2016
Enjoyable place to work
Kind staff and coworkers
Average pay
Would return
Excellent training provided
Long time standing up
Pros
Free food
Cons
Schedules posted last minute, evening shifts
Excellent experience, Learned a lot and enjoyed it, time for a change
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 December 2015
Started when I was in high school and worked there through college in Calgary until I moved up to more fine dining. I always enjoyed going to work, met tonnes of great people and when I moved to Edmonton I knew it was a great company so returned. Worked as both a server and Head bartender for a number of years and then took a break to try a different industry. The Keg trained me very well, and I will always be thankful to management and the great staff.
Easy going job
Host (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 March 2016
Come in for your shift, seated guests, took phone calls, and ensured guests came and left satisfied. Ensured menus were cleaned and wiped down, friendly service, and worked as a team.
Fun job great learning experience
Line cook (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON25 August 2015
The Keg Steakhouse and Bar was a good experience for me, I learned many diverse skills and the job developed me into a hard working, disciplined individual. The restaurant is always busy so I acquired a stamina and tolerance for intense situations that would be both physically and mentally demanding. The Keg is unlike any kitchen I have worked in. It operates like a factory, they have a good production line, the managers are very professional, everyone has a system and unique role in the company and they compliment each other. I really enjoyed the fast paced environment and producing good food, as well as working together with a competent team of hard working staff.
Pros
free food
Cons
pay and hours
Great experience as a bartender/server
Server & Bartender (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON23 February 2015
The Keg Steakhouse provided me with lots of experience in the hospitality industry. I had to learn a lot of mixed drinks in a short period of time, wine and beer knowledge, extremely face paced atmosphere, working on my own and with others. Always kept a tidy work place, helped others when they fell behind, friendly personality at the most hectic times. Management was amazing, they always were there to help when you needed them and very understanding. They made my experience there the best along with my co-workers, I was excited to go to work every day knowing I would be with them.
A fine dining experience in a casual atmosphere
Bartender and Bar Server (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON23 October 2014
The Keg Steakhouse and Grill in Waterloo, Ontario is an amazing place to work. The other employees and the management themselves make this restaurant a fun and productive environment. I am a bartender most of the time with a bar serving position once a week. I learn so much everyday about liquor and wine everyday from this job. Also I find that the experience I have obtained at the Keg is a great foundation for a lucrative and successful restaurant career.
Good if you like the late shifts
Dishwasher (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC1 July 2014
As a dishwasher you're at the bottom of the food chain but you wouldn't tell here as you make more money than bussers and also get better tips than them. The late nights can be draining and they're so unreliable with their scheduling that its hard not to consider quitting or finding another part time job. You may ask for shifts one week and get none and then when you're busy they will give you shifts when you asked for those days off. Overall its an okay place to work but I would consider a place with better hours and more reliable scheduling.
Pros
Free bread, fries and drinks
Cons
Late hours, extremely busy on weekends, unreliable scheduling
Good people, good food, but has all the problems associated with a resturaunt
Line cook (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 June 2014
all in all the staff i work with are good people but they don't have a lot of goals set for themselves I.E. they think they can work in a kitchen for the rest of their lives... my main problem was that i had been working in kitchens for a long time and was seeking another field. however it being a restaurant the managers always send you home early to save on "labour" so they get their bonus at the end of the year its crooked but you cant really do anything about it.
Pros
Good hours, Discounted meals, close to home
Cons
unstable hours, despite being a fulltime position 40 hours never achieved
Potential to make money,but inconsistent and lacking in opportunity
Dining Room Server (Current Employee) –  Waterdown, ON1 June 2012
-average serving job
-expected to have extensive knowledge of steak, wine, etc.
-managers were average at times quite disconnected
-co-workers: the keg fuels a selfishness among servers, if you are not watching out for yourself you don't make any money, a large cut of your tips is given to the other hourly staff in place of the keg paying them a fair wage...it is somewhat ridiculous
-they do not offer full-time status for servers, even for individuals working 30-40 hours a week consistently
Extremely fun, productive and busy workplace.
Server (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB13 May 2013
Everyday I communicate with guests and co-workers around me. I've learned the value of communication and teamwork. Everyone who works in the restaurant works together in order to achieve a common goal, which is to serve the public and keep them and ourselves happy. Even though it does get stressful when we become busy, and many guests can be difficult. At the end of the day the pros weigh out the cons. I enjoy socializing with my coworkers and I enjoy the fast pace.
Pros
Good money, great people, flexible hours
Cons
Long hours, short break, low wage
Poor managment
Dining Room Manager (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON15 August 2013
Made great money working there but unfortunately there are a lot of politics involved between the owner and the general manager. lack of communication through the entire restaurant. Meetings are not implemented when there are changes happening with management and company products. Owner is unaware of the major problem that causes the restaurants unmotivated staff and communication issues.
Pros
Busy great location.
Cons
Management unprofessional

4.3