The Keg Steakhouse and Bar

The Keg Steakhouse and Bar Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Good if you like the late shifts
Dishwasher (Current Employee), Burnaby, BCJuly 1, 2014
Pros: free bread, fries and drinks
Cons: late hours, extremely busy on weekends, unreliable scheduling
As a dishwasher you're at the bottom of the food chain but you wouldn't tell here as you make more money than bussers and also get better tips than them. The late nights can be draining and they're so unreliable with their scheduling that its hard not to consider quitting or finding another part time job. You may ask for shifts one week and get none – more... and then when you're busy they will give you shifts when you asked for those days off. Overall its an okay place to work but I would consider a place with better hours and more reliable scheduling. – less
Good people, good food, but has all the problems associated with a resturaunt
Line cook (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJune 20, 2014
Pros: good hours, discounted meals, close to home
Cons: unstable hours, despite being a fulltime position 40 hours never achieved
all in all the staff i work with are good people but they don't have a lot of goals set for themselves I.E. they think they can work in a kitchen for the rest of their lives... my main problem was that i had been working in kitchens for a long time and was seeking another field. however it being a restaurant the managers always send you home early to – more... save on "labour" so they get their bonus at the end of the year its crooked but you cant really do anything about it. – less
Fun, fast paced environment to work in
Server and Bartender (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBJune 9, 2014
Pros: discount, great group of people, fun
Cons: stressful, tiring
Great job. Fun and fast paced environment, always meeting new people, however it can be stressful with long hours and if management is poor (depending who is managing that day).
Strong quality franchise, quality products, excellent staff
Server (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABMay 22, 2014
Working as a server at The Keg Steakhouse and Bar was an excellent experience that provided me an opportunity to strengthen my serving skills, and gain a heightened ability to multi-task.
Fast paced, no breaks
hostess (Former Employee), Niagara Falls, ONMarch 4, 2014
Pros: received tips
Cons: long hours
The Keg Steakhouse and Bar was a great experience for me as I gained knowledge about the restaurant business. I worked at The Keg in Niagara Falls and I gained experience about the tourism industry as well.
However, the restaurant business was not for me. Very long hours and employers didn't receive any breaks during their shifts.
productive and fun
Line Cook / Prep cook (Former Employee), Niagara Falls, ONSeptember 23, 2013
Pros: set schedules, well paid, works around your schedule
Cons: some long hours may lead to little social life
start at 8am count all remaining product lef from the night before
match the counts with the projected business outlook for the day ahead, and prepare my set list
Poor managment
Dining Room Manager (Former Employee), Windsor, ONAugust 15, 2013
Pros: busy great location.
Cons: management unprofessional
Made great money working there but unfortunately there are a lot of politics involved between the owner and the general manager. lack of communication through the entire restaurant. Meetings are not implemented when there are changes happening with management and company products. Owner is unaware of the major problem that causes the restaurants unmotivated – more... staff and communication issues. – less
Extremely fun, productive and busy workplace.
Server (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABMay 13, 2013
Pros: good money, great people, flexible hours
Cons: long hours, short break, low wage
Everyday I communicate with guests and co-workers around me. I've learned the value of communication and teamwork. Everyone who works in the restaurant works together in order to achieve a common goal, which is to serve the public and keep them and ourselves happy. Even though it does get stressful when we become busy, and many guests can be difficult. – more... At the end of the day the pros weigh out the cons. I enjoy socializing with my coworkers and I enjoy the fast pace. – less
Very excellent job
Line Cook (Former Employee), Niagara Falls, ONMay 8, 2013
Pros: free lunches, free night stay, gift certificates
I have learned alot at the keg they teach you a variety of things. The working atmosphere is amazing it feels like your at a new job everyday. The staff was amazing so was the management and how they dealt with the problems.
fun working place with tips
Bus Boy (Former Employee), Etobicoke, ONApril 2, 2013
Pros: free drinks and discounts
Cons: standing long hours
*walking around long hours cleaning and setting tables
*hard work pays off
*fun and hard working co-workers
*washing glass by hand when the bar glass washer broke
*meeting new people while working
Team bonding and endless networking opportunities
Dining Room Server (Current Employee), Newmarket, ONMarch 19, 2013
Pros: work life balance
Cons: hard on the feet
A typical day at work begins with ensuring my uniform is neat and tidy, checking the message board for recent news, updates and our specials for the evening. Also, each server is responsible for checking our designated table sections to ensure they are ready for guests.
Weekends are our busiest days of the week, so servers are constantly on the go; – more... greeting tables, ensuring effective communication at all times with the guest, meeting our guest experience times, demonstrating team work to support co-workers and illustrating best practice to ensure all needs of guests are met.
The most difficult part of the job is maintaining stress level when guests have numerous needs that demand more attention than most. However, these situations become opportunities to problem solve and time manage effectively.
The most enjoyable part of working at The Keg is the staff. I am a people person, and The Keg provides opportunities for team bonding. It is important to know who you are working with to better work as a team. I also enjoy working at The Keg because of all the people I meet. I am enahncing my customer service skills daily.
Overall, The Keg has an amazing team atmosphere, strong managment and has taught me what to look for in a company as I search for a career. – less
Great company
BUSSER, SALAD TENDER, HOSTESS, COCKTAIL SERVER (Former Employee), southside, st. jamesMarch 12, 2013
-very well organized
-great management
-late hours
-good money
Best job I ever had
Waiter, Bartender, and Shift Manager (Former Employee), London, ONFebruary 23, 2013
Pros: expert and professional management, clear objectives and the proper training and tools to perform your role.
Cons: none. not one.
This is by far the best chain restaurant experience you could have.

When you're employed by the Keg, you enjoy going to work, and you feel more like a part of a family than a member of staff.
The Keg Family
Floor Manager/ Server (Former Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 5, 2012
Pros: free food
Cons: late hours
Anyone who had the priviledge of working at a Keg knows that organization is the key to any successful restaurant. Not only that, great incentives, benefits and very professional.
Excellent place to work with great co-oworkers and exceptional management
Bartender & Supervisor (Current Employee), St. Catharines, ONJune 12, 2012
The Keg Steakhouse and Bar is a great company to work for. Each restaurant is very consistent, and the team at head office is very knowledgable.
Potential to make money,but inconsistent and lacking in opportunity
Dining Room Server (Current Employee), Waterdown, ONJune 1, 2012
-average serving job
-expected to have extensive knowledge of steak, wine, etc.
-managers were average at times quite disconnected
-co-workers: the keg fuels a selfishness among servers, if you are not watching out for yourself you don't make any money, a large cut of your tips is given to the other hourly staff in place of the keg paying them a fair – more... wage...it is somewhat ridiculous
-they do not offer full-time status for servers, even for individuals working 30-40 hours a week consistently – less
Host/Busser life
Host/Busser (Former Employee), Brampton, ONMay 1, 2012
Pros: free bread and pop
Cons: rude/aggresive guests
I would have to greet and guide guest to their seats, and constantly observing the dinning room activity so I could seat more quests who were given quoted times. I also had to help clear,clean and set tables once quest left, and help out the servers with bringing food to tables on a busy day. I also had to periodically check and clean the men/ womens – more... bathrooms, wipe down the hub bar, refill the candy baskets, wipe down menus, and prepare kids menus/utensils for the next day.

What I loved about this job is the friendly atomosphere, and the hard working team. There was never a dull moment working at the Keg! The most difficult part of the job was dealing with aggresive guests who had to wait for dinning room tables to be cleared.

The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people of different backgrounds and cultures. I felt at home.

What I've learned from working at the Keg is being able to multi-task, and even when I'm tired or stressed , I never let it show on my face-I was good at that! An upbeat personality and "always -ready- to- go" attitude, was benificial. – less
Number 1 steakhouse in Windsor, Very Busy and Upbeat environment
Manager (Former Employee), Windsor, OntarioFebruary 16, 2012
I enjoyed the fast paced environment, the staff and regular guests that came for the food and service. We offered a great selection of dinning atmospheres, Bar/Lounge, Family dining and Private party rooms.
Good atmosphere
Expo/Barback (Current Employee), Lynnwood, WAMay 2, 2014
Pros: certain items are free to employees, discounted beer and wine, discounted food items, flexible schedule
Cons: minimal to no breaks, without prior experience impossible to advance
The Keg is a great place to work if you aren't accustomed to a standard 9-5, Monday through Friday lifestyle or job. Perfect for trying to work in a second job on the side. I went into the job with no experience in the restaurant industry, knowing that I would have to probably start from somewhere near the bottom. If you do not have prior experience – more... advancing is not possible as noted by the managers. – less
A morning at The Keg
Prep and Line Cook (Current Employee), Gilbert, AZFebruary 22, 2014
Walk in, turn the line on (ovens, stove, steamer), set up the dish machine. Begin daily inventory of steaks and seafood counting each item and recording them to be entered into the computer later by managers to maintain proper counts. Count other prepped items such as appetizers and sauces to determine if they are to be made that day. Begin prepping – more... the items needed for dinner service later in the evening. As the day progresses doing dishes and maintaining a clean and safe work space. Before leaving for the day, all items that are needed need to be done, everything must be labeled and dated and put in the proper place, trash gets taken out and dishes are to be done. – less