The Keg Steakhouse and Bar Employee Reviews

Trained well, nice staff, high expectations
Hostess (Former Employee) –  OntarioMarch 23, 2016
Enjoyable place to work
Kind staff and coworkers
Average pay
Would return
Excellent training provided
Long time standing up
Pros
Free food
Cons
Schedules posted last minute, evening shifts
Excellent experience, Learned a lot and enjoyed it, time for a change
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 7, 2015
Started when I was in high school and worked there through college in Calgary until I moved up to more fine dining. I always enjoyed going to work, met tonnes of great people and when I moved to Edmonton I knew it was a great company so returned. Worked as both a server and Head bartender for a number of years and then took a break to try a different industry. The Keg trained me very well, and I will always be thankful to management and the great staff.
Easy going job
Host (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 9, 2016
Come in for your shift, seated guests, took phone calls, and ensured guests came and left satisfied. Ensured menus were cleaned and wiped down, friendly service, and worked as a team.
Fun job great learning experience
Line cook (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONAugust 25, 2015
The Keg Steakhouse and Bar was a good experience for me, I learned many diverse skills and the job developed me into a hard working, disciplined individual. The restaurant is always busy so I acquired a stamina and tolerance for intense situations that would be both physically and mentally demanding. The Keg is unlike any kitchen I have worked in. It operates like a factory, they have a good production line, the managers are very professional, everyone has a system and unique role in the company and they compliment each other. I really enjoyed the fast paced environment and producing good food, as well as working together with a competent team of hard working staff.
Pros
free food
Cons
pay and hours
Great Place to Work
Server/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  TorontoSeptember 8, 2015
A great place to grow and develop. One of the best restaurants I've worked at. Thorough training program combined with supportive management makes for a great environment.
Pros
Team Building Exercises, Great Hours, Great People
Productive and fun work place
Dining room server (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 24, 2015
Most of my work days consist of 14 hour days. I love the people that I work with but I am looking for something a bit more stable in terms of finances. I want to be challenged and I would like to be learning something new everyday.
Pros
Benifits/tips
Cons
longs hours
Great experience as a bartender/server
Server & Bartender (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONFebruary 23, 2015
The Keg Steakhouse provided me with lots of experience in the hospitality industry. I had to learn a lot of mixed drinks in a short period of time, wine and beer knowledge, extremely face paced atmosphere, working on my own and with others. Always kept a tidy work place, helped others when they fell behind, friendly personality at the most hectic times. Management was amazing, they always were there to help when you needed them and very understanding. They made my experience there the best along with my co-workers, I was excited to go to work every day knowing I would be with them.
Currently a hostess looking for other areas of work
Hostess (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKJune 27, 2015
Great place to work, friendly staff
I greet people and get tables ready for our guests.
Seat them and help run the front hostess station
Pros
Great food good people
Cons
Not enough hours
A fine dining experience in a casual atmosphere
Bartender and Bar Server (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONOctober 23, 2014
The Keg Steakhouse and Grill in Waterloo, Ontario is an amazing place to work. The other employees and the management themselves make this restaurant a fun and productive environment. I am a bartender most of the time with a bar serving position once a week. I learn so much everyday about liquor and wine everyday from this job. Also I find that the experience I have obtained at the Keg is a great foundation for a lucrative and successful restaurant career.
Good if you like the late shifts
Dishwasher (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BCJuly 1, 2014
As a dishwasher you're at the bottom of the food chain but you wouldn't tell here as you make more money than bussers and also get better tips than them. The late nights can be draining and they're so unreliable with their scheduling that its hard not to consider quitting or finding another part time job. You may ask for shifts one week and get none and then when you're busy they will give you shifts when you asked for those days off. Overall its an okay place to work but I would consider a place with better hours and more reliable scheduling.
Pros
free bread, fries and drinks
Cons
late hours, extremely busy on weekends, unreliable scheduling
Good people, good food, but has all the problems associated with a resturaunt
Line cook (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 20, 2014
all in all the staff i work with are good people but they don't have a lot of goals set for themselves I.E. they think they can work in a kitchen for the rest of their lives... my main problem was that i had been working in kitchens for a long time and was seeking another field. however it being a restaurant the managers always send you home early to save on "labour" so they get their bonus at the end of the year its crooked but you cant really do anything about it.
Pros
good hours, discounted meals, close to home
Cons
unstable hours, despite being a fulltime position 40 hours never achieved
Poor managment
Dining Room Manager (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONAugust 15, 2013
Made great money working there but unfortunately there are a lot of politics involved between the owner and the general manager. lack of communication through the entire restaurant. Meetings are not implemented when there are changes happening with management and company products. Owner is unaware of the major problem that causes the restaurants unmotivated staff and communication issues.
Pros
busy great location.
Cons
management unprofessional
Potential to make money,but inconsistent and lacking in opportunity
Dining Room Server (Current Employee) –  Waterdown, ONJune 1, 2012
-average serving job
-expected to have extensive knowledge of steak, wine, etc.
-managers were average at times quite disconnected
-co-workers: the keg fuels a selfishness among servers, if you are not watching out for yourself you don't make any money, a large cut of your tips is given to the other hourly staff in place of the keg paying them a fair wage...it is somewhat ridiculous
-they do not offer full-time status for servers, even for individuals working 30-40 hours a week consistently
Extremely fun, productive and busy workplace.
Server (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABMay 13, 2013
Everyday I communicate with guests and co-workers around me. I've learned the value of communication and teamwork. Everyone who works in the restaurant works together in order to achieve a common goal, which is to serve the public and keep them and ourselves happy. Even though it does get stressful when we become busy, and many guests can be difficult. At the end of the day the pros weigh out the cons. I enjoy socializing with my coworkers and I enjoy the fast pace.
Pros
good money, great people, flexible hours
Cons
long hours, short break, low wage
Fun and positive environment to work!
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ONJune 19, 2015
Going to work for the Keg everyday was great. The staff was always in a good mood and management was very helpful. An overall positive environment.
Pros
Staff discount
Fast paced, no breaks
hostess (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ONMarch 4, 2014
The Keg Steakhouse and Bar was a great experience for me as I gained knowledge about the restaurant business. I worked at The Keg in Niagara Falls and I gained experience about the tourism industry as well.
However, the restaurant business was not for me. Very long hours and employers didn't receive any breaks during their shifts.
Pros
received tips
Cons
Waiting tables and customer service expert
Waiter (Current Employee) –  VaughanMarch 30, 2015
Excellent work place. Working at the keg is more then just work its living with a close well rounded family. You grow as a unit and the workplace is incredible.
Pros
Treated Like Family
Cons
None really
Great Job
Busser (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 28, 2014
A typical day would last about 6 hours. I would accommodate guests needs and I learned how to do so very effectively, efficiently, and successfully in terms of a guests overall satisfaction. I clear and set tables, escort guest to their tables, and occasionally run food. The management team is very strong at The Keg and so are the co-workers. Managers and co-workers are great at handling situations and the proof is in the quality of service a guest gets when they come to experience dining at The Keg. The hardest part of a job is maintaining the same quality of service to our guest when the restaurant gets busy; however the most enjoyable part is having the chance to make a persons day just a little bit better when they walk into our doors, to give them such a great experience that they leave happier than they were when they came in.
Pros
great job environment and you meet great guests, amazing food, love the staff
Cons
very late nights, difficult to move up (promotion)
Best job I ever had
Waiter, Bartender, and Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  London, ONFebruary 23, 2013
This is by far the best chain restaurant experience you could have.

When you're employed by the Keg, you enjoy going to work, and you feel more like a part of a family than a member of staff.
Pros
expert and professional management, clear objectives and the proper training and tools to perform your role.
Cons
none. not one.
productive and fun
Line Cook / Prep cook (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ONSeptember 23, 2013
start at 8am count all remaining product lef from the night before
match the counts with the projected business outlook for the day ahead, and prepare my set list
Pros
set schedules, well paid, works around your schedule
Cons
some long hours may lead to little social life

4.2