The Keg Steakhouse and Bar Employee Reviews in Canada

Trained well, nice staff, high expectations
Hostess (Former Employee) –  OntarioMarch 23, 2016
Enjoyable place to work
Kind staff and coworkers
Average pay
Would return
Excellent training provided
Long time standing up
Pros
Free food
Cons
Schedules posted last minute, evening shifts
Easy going job
Host (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 9, 2016
Come in for your shift, seated guests, took phone calls, and ensured guests came and left satisfied. Ensured menus were cleaned and wiped down, friendly service, and worked as a team.
Excellent experience, Learned a lot and enjoyed it, time for a change
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 7, 2015
Started when I was in high school and worked there through college in Calgary until I moved up to more fine dining. I always enjoyed going to work, met tonnes of great people and when I moved to Edmonton I knew it was a great company so returned. Worked as both a server and Head bartender for a number of years and then took a break to try a different industry. The Keg trained me very well, and I will always be thankful to management and the great staff.
Great Place to Work
Server/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  TorontoSeptember 8, 2015
A great place to grow and develop. One of the best restaurants I've worked at. Thorough training program combined with supportive management makes for a great environment.
Pros
Team Building Exercises, Great Hours, Great People
Fun job great learning experience
Line cook (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONAugust 25, 2015
The Keg Steakhouse and Bar was a good experience for me, I learned many diverse skills and the job developed me into a hard working, disciplined individual. The restaurant is always busy so I acquired a stamina and tolerance for intense situations that would be both physically and mentally demanding. The Keg is unlike any kitchen I have worked in. It operates like a factory, they have a good production line, the managers are very professional, everyone has a system and unique role in the company and they compliment each other. I really enjoyed the fast paced environment and producing good food, as well as working together with a competent team of hard working staff.
Pros
free food
Cons
pay and hours
Productive and fun work place
Dining room server (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 24, 2015
Most of my work days consist of 14 hour days. I love the people that I work with but I am looking for something a bit more stable in terms of finances. I want to be challenged and I would like to be learning something new everyday.
Pros
Benifits/tips
Cons
longs hours
Currently a hostess looking for other areas of work
Hostess (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKJune 27, 2015
Great place to work, friendly staff
I greet people and get tables ready for our guests.
Seat them and help run the front hostess station
Pros
Great food good people
Cons
Not enough hours
Fun and positive environment to work!
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ONJune 19, 2015
Going to work for the Keg everyday was great. The staff was always in a good mood and management was very helpful. An overall positive environment.
Pros
Staff discount
Waiting tables and customer service expert
Waiter (Current Employee) –  VaughanMarch 30, 2015
Excellent work place. Working at the keg is more then just work its living with a close well rounded family. You grow as a unit and the workplace is incredible.
Pros
Treated Like Family
Cons
None really
Dinning Room Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa OnMarch 26, 2015
Great job to have as a full time employee or as a second job. Most locations don't open before 4pm so you can still have a day job and make extra money.
Great experience as a bartender/server
Server & Bartender (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONFebruary 23, 2015
The Keg Steakhouse provided me with lots of experience in the hospitality industry. I had to learn a lot of mixed drinks in a short period of time, wine and beer knowledge, extremely face paced atmosphere, working on my own and with others. Always kept a tidy work place, helped others when they fell behind, friendly personality at the most hectic times. Management was amazing, they always were there to help when you needed them and very understanding. They made my experience there the best along with my co-workers, I was excited to go to work every day knowing I would be with them.
Productive work environment, wonderful management
Salad Station Opener/ Closer (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCJanuary 12, 2015
Excellent management, wonderful co-workers, the hardest part of the job was finishing between the hours of 2:00 and 3:00 AM.
Pros
management
Cons
late hours
No opportunity for advancement, Long hours
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONJanuary 2, 2015
Mostly evenings and weekend work due to that being busy time.
Working every holiday.
Little time off.
Random work schedule. (eg nights, days)
Minimum wage
no raises
dangerous
Great Job
Busser (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 28, 2014
A typical day would last about 6 hours. I would accommodate guests needs and I learned how to do so very effectively, efficiently, and successfully in terms of a guests overall satisfaction. I clear and set tables, escort guest to their tables, and occasionally run food. The management team is very strong at The Keg and so are the co-workers. Managers and co-workers are great at handling situations and the proof is in the quality of service a guest gets when they come to experience dining at The Keg. The hardest part of a job is maintaining the same quality of service to our guest when the restaurant gets busy; however the most enjoyable part is having the chance to make a persons day just a little bit better when they walk into our doors, to give them such a great experience that they leave happier than they were when they came in.
Pros
great job environment and you meet great guests, amazing food, love the staff
Cons
very late nights, difficult to move up (promotion)
A grate envorment to work in
Kitchen Worker (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BCOctober 30, 2014
The Keg is a grate place to work at. the Managers are grate and your co workers are awesome to
Fun workplace
Hostess\ Bar server (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ONOctober 24, 2014
I typically set up the dinning room, set up big parties coming in for dinner.
A fine dining experience in a casual atmosphere
Bartender and Bar Server (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONOctober 23, 2014
The Keg Steakhouse and Grill in Waterloo, Ontario is an amazing place to work. The other employees and the management themselves make this restaurant a fun and productive environment. I am a bartender most of the time with a bar serving position once a week. I learn so much everyday about liquor and wine everyday from this job. Also I find that the experience I have obtained at the Keg is a great foundation for a lucrative and successful restaurant career.
Fun and fast paced environment
Salader and Busser (Current Employee) –  Brandon, MBSeptember 2, 2014
Works well under pressure and has fun with co-workers
Management is well organized
Pros
fun people to work with and good management
Cons
Good if you like the late shifts
Dishwasher (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BCJuly 1, 2014
As a dishwasher you're at the bottom of the food chain but you wouldn't tell here as you make more money than bussers and also get better tips than them. The late nights can be draining and they're so unreliable with their scheduling that its hard not to consider quitting or finding another part time job. You may ask for shifts one week and get none and then when you're busy they will give you shifts when you asked for those days off. Overall its an okay place to work but I would consider a place with better hours and more reliable scheduling.
Pros
free bread, fries and drinks
Cons
late hours, extremely busy on weekends, unreliable scheduling
Good people, good food, but has all the problems associated with a resturaunt
Line cook (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 20, 2014
all in all the staff i work with are good people but they don't have a lot of goals set for themselves I.E. they think they can work in a kitchen for the rest of their lives... my main problem was that i had been working in kitchens for a long time and was seeking another field. however it being a restaurant the managers always send you home early to save on "labour" so they get their bonus at the end of the year its crooked but you cant really do anything about it.
Pros
good hours, discounted meals, close to home
Cons
unstable hours, despite being a fulltime position 40 hours never achieved

4.2