THE HOSPITAL FOR SICK CHILDREN Employee Reviews

new job opportunity to learn from
Jugo Juice Team Member (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 September 2016
Had a great opportunity to work for a company that was well known. It was a fast paced environment to learn new techniques, at times, the customers were a little impatient when their drinks were slow in coming. This was a new location for Jugo Juice, and more people were trained with only a few hired.
Pros
learning how to make drinks
Cons
impatient customers
Sick Kids
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 November 2016
highly recommend this hospital. it is a team environment and the education and training is superb. really a great environment to work in.
Stable and Consistant
Communications Operator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 July 2016
I would spend my shift answering phone calls and handling all emergency response calls for the hospital. My role required great awareness and quick response but it was still consistent work that was rather stable in a comfortable environment.
Pros
Comfortable work environment
Cons
varying shift schedule
Review
Research Associate - Finance (Internship) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 July 2016
I was a summer student at the time. Overall, no complaints. The staff was excellent and I felt that the employees were interesting and genuine. Good place to work, and you realize that you're really doing things that impact children in need - always a worthy venture.
Great workplace
Education Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Neonatology4 August 2016
Giant Carpet was a great workplace. Working at Giant carpet was like working with family. Great atmosphere and great people.
Operation Technician (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 June 2016
Friendly environment / rewarding / very helpful co-workers /lots of technology to learn and the hardest about this job is the working shifts.
Poor culture
Project Manager (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 October 2015
Many great people doing work they love with passion and care.
Some Senior Executives are petty and unkind people and talk frequently about how they are underpaid, their office furniture is not good enough, etc while making $300K+/year as noted on the sunshine list.
Limited advancement unless you are jaded and are willing to accept the status quo while pretending to go through the motions of change.
Pros
Great for your resume
Cons
Limited advancement
professional setting
Clinical Research Project Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 February 2014
Being a research assistant at Sick Kids was a good experience where I had the chance to be part of a research about clinical indicators of appendicitis. I did use my interview skills and techniques to motivate patients to voluntarily participate in the research. It was a fulfilling experience.
Pros
good pay on time
Cons
random hours and shifts and no benefits
Over worked, under paid
Clinical Research Project Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 September 2013
Over worked and under paid. Expect to work long hours without any compensation. Not efficient work environment and lack of communication between departments
Cons
long houts
Fun work environment with supportive staff
Sick Kids Foundation - Project Analyst Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 February 2014
Fun work environment, supportive staff, great benefits, however sometimes the hours got long.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Long Hours
Great teams and fellowship
Trainer - EPC Project (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 June 2015
Endless opportunities for learning and advancement.
Common goal very evident in the culture.
Management is transparent and there is an open door policy throughout the institution.
Pros
Great camaraderie
Cons
Budget cuts - as with any responsible organization.
The best place to work at.
Project Analyst/IT Trainee (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 August 2015
• Developed Database skills by working on Admission Discharge Transfer (ADT) project and used Microsoft Database on daily basis to enter patient data.
• Monitored day-to-day management of projects such as ensuring activities and progressing as planned, and meet requirements.
• Coordinated ADT project work with project team members to make sure that everyone is aware of the current status of the project.
• Managed timely communications with all project team members, including vendor staff using Microsoft Outlook.
• Communicated project status bi-weekly via Project Status Report to the manager and other team members. For e.g. communicate any technical difficulties, communicate about the deadlines etc.
• Organized project team meetings using Microsoft Outlook Calendar, and prepare agendas and minutes for designated meetings.
• Designed and monitored project issues report from discovery through to resolution for quality assurance purposes.
• Use internal standards and procedures for project reporting and documentation. For e.g. communicate meeting minutes to other relevant departments within the hospital.
• Created project documentation for training purposes.
Senior Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 July 2015
Excellent co-workers;
Great team spirit
Good Documentation standards
Supportive executive team
A typical day at work is busy with meetings, presentations, status updates, review documents, briefing the sponsors/team on the project
Managing the cost and schedules
monitoring the risks and impacts and how to overcome the critical situations
Pros
Work from home facility; Remote access to corporate systems
Cons
it was a stressful place to work,
Cardiology Technologist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 October 2015
it was not a place to work for everyone. there was no job work and life balance. It was hard to see children suffering and especially sometime see children died. It also effected my health. I had to leave the job.
Cons
stressful, emotional and hard to see children suffering
Structured, traditional work place
Administrative Assistant  (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 July 2013
As an administrative assistant I was responsible for maintaining research and administrative records while ensuring their completeness and accuracy. I was also in charge arranging patient's appointments along other clerical duties. Working in the hospital was very special as I occasionally interacted face to face with parents of our patients. The hard part of the job was the knowledge that our patients were just kids, some with very serious adult illnesses. As a member of the Hematology-Oncology Department I had other administrative assistants and secretaries to interact with. If I encountered any job related problems I could always asked for help not only my co-workers but management as well.
very caring and compassionate people
accounting (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 October 2015
hospital for sick children is a good place to work for.Ive worked with this company for 17 years.I've learned a lot and ive made friends over the years and I served the hospital well enough during my tenure.
Productive and motivating workplace
clinical research project coordinator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 October 2015
SickKids is a very motivating and productive workplace. I always feel motivated to improve myself as a Clinical Research Project Coordinator.
Month Long Practicum
Medical Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 November 2014
The Hospital for Sick Children was the most exciting, unnerving and eye-opening place I have ever had the opportunity to work for.

I learned about GLPs and patient care from seasoned professionals. The most valuable thing I learned was from my experience in the phlebotomy unit. It is a never ending rush or children who are scared and many times in pain. It taught me to have compassion, but always remember that they need to have this done in order for their doctors to know what is wrong.

The people were simply amazing and always willing to help and teach.

The most enjoyable part of working at Sick Kids was knowing that in a small way I made a difference in the lives of these children.
Pros
Feeling of fulfilment
Cons
Rotating hours
Amazing practical experience.
Family and Child Relations (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 October 2013
The Hospital for Sick Children has been an amazing opportunity. I have been able to mediate basic conflict, communicate with various managers, participate in current studies and I have been able to help public a poster on behalf of Sick Kids.

I think this opportunity has shown me how I can organize, manage, and being able to be interpersonal at all times. The hardest part of this job is to wait between cases since other parties are involved for example staff and family members, however it is extremely rewarding. I enjoy this internship opportunity and it has taught me a lot about myself in my abilities, my determination, my drive to learn more and my current skills.
Pros
Amazing supervisor, great responsibilities and opportunities.
Working for a noble cause while providing leadership in managing cutting edge technology projects.
Senior Project Manager, IT PMO (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 January 2014
A typical day as a Senior Project manager includes providing leadership in managing and delivering multi-million dollar projects in the various areas of Healthcare and Services.

I have learned critical thinking, negotiation skills, and how to apply my extensive knowledge and hands on IT experience to direct resources and technology to accomplish objectives in:
1. Management and delivery of large scale, multi-million dollar Projects.
2. Leveraging & acquisition of technology based solutions for business processes.
3. RFI/RFP, Contract negotiations and procurement.

Management is very supportive. After the successful completion of a project with 18 million dollar budget which was completed on time and within allocated budget, I received a letter of appreciation from SickKids CEO and President. Another successful project of mine has been presented as a case study on how to rescue a failing project and turn it into a success story.

The hardest part of my job is to manage resources who are juggling with multiple priorities to deliver on time and within allocated budget.

The most enjoyable part of my job is the opportunity to work and interact with staff from almost every department of the organization. And the honour of working for a noble cause.
Pros
Satisfaction of working for a noble cause and doing what I like best.
Cons
Long hours and continuous stress of meeting deadlines.

4.3