THE HOSPITAL FOR SICK CHILDREN Employee Reviews

Administrative Assistant - Telemedicine Program (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 February 2017
Family oriented. You feel like you are part of a large family. Everyone knows everyone. The CEO at this time would say Hello and how are you, when she saw you in the hallway. Always called you by your first name.
Benefits
Cons
Hard work without a thank you
Collaborative , supportive environment
Program Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 December 2016
During my time at this hospital I have gained a lot of valuable experience. The work place environment is supportive and collaborative. A typical day at work is always enjoyably pleasant. The department I work in is very close and supportive of each other. I don't consider my team as just co workers, they are also my friends. I feel very fortunate to be part of such an exceptional team and work with such an exceptional manager- I truly believe a compatibility like this is extremely rare.
Sick Kids
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 November 2016
highly recommend this hospital. it is a team environment and the education and training is superb. really a great environment to work in.
Very positive atmosphere to work in
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 November 2016
- Daily 8-4 schedule
- Co-workers are supportive
- Able to meet new people every day
- Hospital supports needs of sick children
Pros
Bright and clean environment for the children
Cons
N/A
new job opportunity to learn from
Jugo Juice Team Member (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 September 2016
Had a great opportunity to work for a company that was well known. It was a fast paced environment to learn new techniques, at times, the customers were a little impatient when their drinks were slow in coming. This was a new location for Jugo Juice, and more people were trained with only a few hired.
Pros
learning how to make drinks
Cons
impatient customers
Stable and Consistant
Communications Operator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 July 2016
I would spend my shift answering phone calls and handling all emergency response calls for the hospital. My role required great awareness and quick response but it was still consistent work that was rather stable in a comfortable environment.
Pros
Comfortable work environment
Cons
varying shift schedule
Poor culture
Project Manager (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 October 2015
Many great people doing work they love with passion and care.
Some Senior Executives are petty and unkind people and talk frequently about how they are underpaid, their office furniture is not good enough, etc while making $300K+/year as noted on the sunshine list.
Limited advancement unless you are jaded and are willing to accept the status quo while pretending to go through the motions of change.
Pros
Great for your resume
Cons
Limited advancement
Review
Research Associate - Finance (Internship) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 July 2016
I was a summer student at the time. Overall, no complaints. The staff was excellent and I felt that the employees were interesting and genuine. Good place to work, and you realize that you're really doing things that impact children in need - always a worthy venture.
Great workplace
Education Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Neonatology4 August 2016
Giant Carpet was a great workplace. Working at Giant carpet was like working with family. Great atmosphere and great people.
Great teams and fellowship
Trainer - EPC Project (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 June 2015
Endless opportunities for learning and advancement.
Common goal very evident in the culture.
Management is transparent and there is an open door policy throughout the institution.
Pros
Great camaraderie
Cons
Budget cuts - as with any responsible organization.
Operation Technician (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 June 2016
Friendly environment / rewarding / very helpful co-workers /lots of technology to learn and the hardest about this job is the working shifts.
The best place to work at.
Project Analyst/IT Trainee (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 August 2015
• Developed Database skills by working on Admission Discharge Transfer (ADT) project and used Microsoft Database on daily basis to enter patient data.
• Monitored day-to-day management of projects such as ensuring activities and progressing as planned, and meet requirements.
• Coordinated ADT project work with project team members to make sure that everyone is aware of the current status of the project.
• Managed timely communications with all project team members, including vendor staff using Microsoft Outlook.
• Communicated project status bi-weekly via Project Status Report to the manager and other team members. For e.g. communicate any technical difficulties, communicate about the deadlines etc.
• Organized project team meetings using Microsoft Outlook Calendar, and prepare agendas and minutes for designated meetings.
• Designed and monitored project issues report from discovery through to resolution for quality assurance purposes.
• Use internal standards and procedures for project reporting and documentation. For e.g. communicate meeting minutes to other relevant departments within the hospital.
• Created project documentation for training purposes.
Structured, traditional work place
Administrative Assistant  (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 July 2013
As an administrative assistant I was responsible for maintaining research and administrative records while ensuring their completeness and accuracy. I was also in charge arranging patient's appointments along other clerical duties. Working in the hospital was very special as I occasionally interacted face to face with parents of our patients. The hard part of the job was the knowledge that our patients were just kids, some with very serious adult illnesses. As a member of the Hematology-Oncology Department I had other administrative assistants and secretaries to interact with. If I encountered any job related problems I could always asked for help not only my co-workers but management as well.
Senior Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 July 2015
Excellent co-workers;
Great team spirit
Good Documentation standards
Supportive executive team
A typical day at work is busy with meetings, presentations, status updates, review documents, briefing the sponsors/team on the project
Managing the cost and schedules
monitoring the risks and impacts and how to overcome the critical situations
Pros
Work from home facility; Remote access to corporate systems
Over worked, under paid
Clinical Research Project Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 September 2013
Over worked and under paid. Expect to work long hours without any compensation. Not efficient work environment and lack of communication between departments
Cons
long houts
Fun work environment with supportive staff
Sick Kids Foundation - Project Analyst Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 February 2014
Fun work environment, supportive staff, great benefits, however sometimes the hours got long.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Long Hours
Working for a noble cause while providing leadership in managing cutting edge technology projects.
Senior Project Manager, IT PMO (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 January 2014
A typical day as a Senior Project manager includes providing leadership in managing and delivering multi-million dollar projects in the various areas of Healthcare and Services.

I have learned critical thinking, negotiation skills, and how to apply my extensive knowledge and hands on IT experience to direct resources and technology to accomplish objectives in:
1. Management and delivery of large scale, multi-million dollar Projects.
2. Leveraging & acquisition of technology based solutions for business processes.
3. RFI/RFP, Contract negotiations and procurement.

Management is very supportive. After the successful completion of a project with 18 million dollar budget which was completed on time and within allocated budget, I received a letter of appreciation from SickKids CEO and President. Another successful project of mine has been presented as a case study on how to rescue a failing project and turn it into a success story.

The hardest part of my job is to manage resources who are juggling with multiple priorities to deliver on time and within allocated budget.

The most enjoyable part of my job is the opportunity to work and interact with staff from almost every department of the organization. And the honour of working for a noble cause.
Pros
Satisfaction of working for a noble cause and doing what I like best.
Cons
Long hours and continuous stress of meeting deadlines.
A challenging and fun workplace
Research Technologist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 May 2012
A typical day consisted of organizing projects and performing laboratory experiments for clientele. Co-workers and management worked in a team effort and were very friendly. The job itself varied from day-to-day which kept every day new and unpredictable. My experiences and knowledge grew dramatically as a technologist here.
Pros
being taken out for lunch, flexible hours
professional setting
Clinical Research Project Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 February 2014
Being a research assistant at Sick Kids was a good experience where I had the chance to be part of a research about clinical indicators of appendicitis. I did use my interview skills and techniques to motivate patients to voluntarily participate in the research. It was a fulfilling experience.
Pros
good pay on time
Cons
random hours and shifts and no benefits
An amazing place to work!
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Ambulatory6 June 2013
If you are a nurse, this is the best hospital in which to work. People work as a team and are very dedicated to caring for the children and their families. I would highly recommend this place.
Pros
High standard of care, teamwork, very positive working environment
Cons
Hard to get a work/life balance

4.3