The Hospital for Sick Children Employee Reviews

Registering patients
Booking appointments
Filing reports
Preparing requisitions
Providing clerical support to all health care staff
Assisting in meeting the needs of the patients and their families when appropriate
Excellent learning experience
Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 May 2017
Staff work as a cohesive team to provide amazing healthcare. This is done while simultaneously giving a valuable learning experience to placement students.
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 May 2017
I’m going to write an honest review here, but Sick Kids is definitely a wonderful place to work.

You can probably work here for 20 years or until retirement if you really want to. Salary is better than most health care facilities, although there are no yearly bonuses at all for most positions. In terms of culture, departments work well with each other and employees are encouraged to share their ideas in order to improve systems or policies.

Management respects you as an individual and appreciates your contributions from what I’ve experienced. That’s hard to find.

It’s a great place to work if you’re qualified, and make your case in the interview. Just don’t expect very many people to talk to you in the hallways.
Pros
Meaningful work, Respected by higher management, Overall Freedom
Cons
Minimal guidance when getting started, No Excel time sheet management system
Flexible, friendly environment
Administrator/Clerk (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 May 2017
A typical day as an administration clerk is generally keeping the flow of the department and making sure everyone is looked after. It is all about keeping everything organized and patients satisfied. Our role is to input the requisitions given to us by patients into the system so they have a file were their images will be stored. We also register new patients in the hospital. The workplace is very friendly, rewarding and all staff is helpful if any help is required.
Excellent
Co-op Student (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 May 2017
I really enjoyed my placement at SickKids. I was able to interact with patients and families on different levels. I enjoyed it most because I was always learning, there is something new each day. The staffs are very friendly and helpful and want to see you succeed, they made it easy for a student like myself to ask questions and gain knowledge about the work force.The hardest part of the job was seeing all the little patients coming in for their treatments but it was also comforting knowing that they are in good hands. I'm interested in working in healthcare so his was a rewarding placement for me.
Wonderful place to work
Dietetic Intern (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 May 2017
SickKids is a wonderful place to work, in which you can feel truly proud to say you are a part of. The workers, patients, and environment make it an all around great place to work
Rewarding
Senior Financial Operations Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 May 2017
HSC is the largest peadiatric hospital in Toronto
Very rewarding work
Good team environment
Learn alot and very supportive management
Environment for development of skill set
Fun workplace
Child Life Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 May 2017
Volunteering is fun, yet it is hard work. The children can be delightful, yet it is a lot of responsibility. I would recommend it to all young people or elders who have some time to spare.
Great Place to work
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 May 2017
Great place to work with a dynamic team. Amazing opportunity to grow and learn new skills.

Rewarding career and a place to make a difference in the life of many children and their families.
Pros
Self scheduling
Cons
shift work
do good, feel good
HR Assistant (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON17 April 2017
I can't imagine anyone ever writing a bad review for Sick KIds. Its a 'do good, feel good' kind of culture. Everyone is happy to be there which makes it a fun place. you want to be at work and you want to stay there.
Educational Health Oriented World Class Hospital
Diversity Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 April 2017
Hospital for Sick Children is a dynamic educational institute. It promotes avenues for on going education for staff. There are several benefits afforded to staff including- dental. medical and pension benefits.
Pros
Staff development programs
unethical HR department
Laboratory Research Coordinator (Current Employee) –  PGCRL15 April 2017
In the research tower, PGCRL, none of the staff seem overly happy. Most people talk about how they need to find a new job. There is little room for career advancement and compared to other research institutes in Toronto, the salary and benefits are not very good. And everyone complains about HR. Commonly, everyone says they are incompetent, at worst, unethical and dishonest. Make sure you get what you need from them in writing because they will deny ever saying it to you otherwise.
Pros
Occasional free pizza lunches
Cons
Precarity
Excellent organisation
Operations Technician (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 April 2017
Great organisation to work for. Achieved and learned a lot working for this organisation, worked shifts helping the doctors and nurses do their jobs with ease
A day as a Dietary Aide
Dietary Aide (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 March 2017
As a Dietary aide we have many duties, we work different positions each shift. Some duties include preparing and ensuring that each patients meals are correct and match the patients diet, taking patients orders over the phone efficiently while having patience and understanding with the caller, since they are under stress and some times there can be a language barrier, we also deliver the patients food to their floor. The hardest part of my job is known there are so many children suffering, but the part I enjoy most is interacting with the children and seeing their smiles.
Pros
Helping Children in their healing process
Cons
No set schedules, each week is different
Productive and fun place to work at.
STOMP Clinic Administration Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 March 2017
Sick Kids Hospital is truly an inspiring and motivating place to work. Each staff member goes out of their way to help each patient, and it's extremely admirable. The most amazing and heart-warming part of the job is seeing a smile on the children's face as you're able to give them the help they need and want. It is most challenging to not get attached to the patients, especially when they all have such intense stories regarding their health. A typical day entails administering questionnaires, and determining ratings of the patient's health, both mentally and physically. Overall, an amazing workplace culture.
Pros
Gaining experience, networking.
fun
Nurse Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 March 2017
i enjoy working for the sick children's hospital it was a fun experience and kids are wonderful to be around. The work I did at the hospital was very educating.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
lots of filing
Good environment
Campaign Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 February 2017
It was a great place to work the supervisors was nice. The work consistent but not that hard. The day go by fast once you get use to working there. I recommend everyone
Writer and Editor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 February 2017
Writing the report for SickKids was a wonderful experience. The atmosphere when going to toronto for meetings was exceptional. The food was great too.
Poor management
Coordinator, Corporate Partnerships (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 February 2017
No teamwork; high employee turnover. There is no cross training. Management is scattered. The work itself is rewarding because it is for a great and worthy cause!
Pros
rewarding work
Cons
poor management
Excellent Job experience
Pharmacy Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 February 2017
Hospital for Sick Children is a great place to work. My work experience at Hospital for Sick Children was an excellent opportunity for me to grow & continue to learn new technology in the department of Pharmacy. Everyone worked as team player with respect . Being able to worked for 23 years at Sickkids was an incredible work experience. The hardest part was the budget cut which I was one of those that was let go. If given another opportunity, I will definitely work again at Sickkids.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Hospital for Sick Children. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3