THE HOSPITAL FOR SICK CHILDREN

THE HOSPITAL FOR SICK CHILDREN Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
professional setting
Clinical Research Project Assistant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 4, 2014
Pros: good pay on time
Cons: random hours and shifts and no benefits
Being a research assistant at Sick Kids was a good experience where I had the chance to be part of a research about clinical indicators of appendicitis. I did use my interview skills and techniques to motivate patients to voluntarily participate in the research. It was a fulfilling experience.
Working for a noble cause while providing leadership in managing cutting edge technology projects.
Senior Project Manager, IT PMO (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 19, 2014
Pros: satisfaction of working for a noble cause and doing what i like best.
Cons: long hours and continuous stress of meeting deadlines.
A typical day as a Senior Project manager includes providing leadership in managing and delivering multi-million dollar projects in the various areas of Healthcare and Services.

I have learned critical thinking, negotiation skills, and how to apply my extensive knowledge and hands on IT experience to direct resources and technology to accomplish objectives – more... in:
1. Management and delivery of large scale, multi-million dollar Projects.
2. Leveraging & acquisition of technology based solutions for business processes.
3. RFI/RFP, Contract negotiations and procurement.

Management is very supportive. After the successful completion of a project with 18 million dollar budget which was completed on time and within allocated budget, I received a letter of appreciation from SickKids CEO and President. Another successful project of mine has been presented as a case study on how to rescue a failing project and turn it into a success story.

The hardest part of my job is to manage resources who are juggling with multiple priorities to deliver on time and within allocated budget.

The most enjoyable part of my job is the opportunity to work and interact with staff from almost every department of the organization. And the honour of working for a noble cause. – less
Good experience
Research Project Coordinator (Current Employee), Toronto ONDecember 4, 2013
Pros: flexible work schedule
Cons: contract based
I've worked at SickKids for a 5 years. I've learned a lot while being there. The children taught me a lot of great life lessons and most of all , never to take life for granted.
We worked very independently and was managed only when we had questions or had a team meeting.
The hardest part of the job was not taking my work home with me because I'm so – more... meticulous. However, I really did enjoy patient contact the most. – less
Amazing practical experience.
Family and Child Relations (Current Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 1, 2013
Pros: amazing supervisor, great responsibilities and opportunities.
The Hospital for Sick Children has been an amazing opportunity. I have been able to mediate basic conflict, communicate with various managers, participate in current studies and I have been able to help public a poster on behalf of Sick Kids.

I think this opportunity has shown me how I can organize, manage, and being able to be interpersonal at all – more... times. The hardest part of this job is to wait between cases since other parties are involved for example staff and family members, however it is extremely rewarding. I enjoy this internship opportunity and it has taught me a lot about myself in my abilities, my determination, my drive to learn more and my current skills. – less
Over worked, under paid
Clinical Research Project Assistant (Current Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 24, 2013
Cons: long houts
Over worked and under paid. Expect to work long hours without any compensation. Not efficient work environment and lack of communication between departments
Fun place
Patient Info Clerk/ Admin Asst. (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 11, 2013
Very nice environment,
wonderful organization
most enjoyable part is meeting the new patients
Structured, traditional work place
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 5, 2013
As an administrative assistant I was responsible for maintaining research and administrative records while ensuring their completeness and accuracy. I was also in charge arranging patient's appointments along other clerical duties. Working in the hospital was very special as I occasionally interacted face to face with parents of our patients. The hard – more... part of the job was the knowledge that our patients were just kids, some with very serious adult illnesses. As a member of the Hematology-Oncology Department I had other administrative assistants and secretaries to interact with. If I encountered any job related problems I could always asked for help not only my co-workers but management as well. – less
An amazing place to work!
Registered Nurse (Current Employee), AmbulatoryJune 6, 2013
Pros: high standard of care, teamwork, very positive working environment
Cons: hard to get a work/life balance
If you are a nurse, this is the best hospital in which to work. People work as a team and are very dedicated to caring for the children and their families. I would highly recommend this place.
I was very dissatisfied with the department in which I worked.
Patient Information Clerk (Former Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 20, 2013
I was in an entry-level position and was very dissatisfied with the lack of support to the administration staff. I loved the overall environment in the hospital and the sense of community offered.
Educational Workplace for my career field
Dietary Aide (Current Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 21, 2012
I enjoy the environment, my co-workers are very polite and friendly. I learn a lot about patient food service operations. Working in the milk prep room, exposes me to formula production. I have learnt about many ready to feed nourishment products. Overall I enjoy working at the Hospital for Sick Children.
Working in the Clincs was always Fun
Information Technology Support Technician (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 19, 2012
Provided Tier 2 and 3 level IT support during Windows XP and 2000 OS rollout. Learned a great deal of the back end processes as it relates to clinical system and the various environments that support them.
Volunteer Experience
VOLUNTEER (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 5, 2012
Pros: great, amazing staff that care about each and every patients
Cons: short time at sick kids
Handle mail, write out appointment cards, order supplies, file and send faxes

Providing clerical support to all health care staff by preparing clinic rooms and assist in directing patient and their families into these rooms

Place reminder calls to families of upcoming appointments.

Assist in meeting the needs of the patients and their families by – more... answering general questions parents may have when the secretaries are busy – less
A challenging and fun workplace
Research Technologist (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 2, 2012
Pros: being taken out for lunch, flexible hours
A typical day consisted of organizing projects and performing laboratory experiments for clientele. Co-workers and management worked in a team effort and were very friendly. The job itself varied from day-to-day which kept every day new and unpredictable. My experiences and knowledge grew dramatically as a technologist here.