The Hospital for Sick Children Employee Reviews

Positive environment, which is respectful of people from all walks of life
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 August 2017
The culture is positive, making each and every individual feel appreciated and respected.
Each person is made to feel as if their contributions matter.
Pros
Respectful
Cons
Pressure
Fabulous group of people to work with
Senior Secretary (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 August 2017
A typical day is varied depending on the type of individual you are supporting. Management is not good and no room for growth or development and the most enjoyable part of this job is the people in my department. They are a lovely group of individuals that you can learn a lot from and very family orientated.
Pros
Flexible and good work life balance
Cons
No bonus or pay increases
Research Study Participant
Volunteer Experiences (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 July 2017
I participated in a research study that will hopefully lead to better treatments for other patients at the hospital.
The researcher was very friendly and helpful
Very eye-opening
Co-op Student (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 July 2017
During my time at sick kids I Learned a lot. It help me gain a new perspective on life. I feel honoured that I was able to have this experience. All the supervisors were very great and were eager to help with any questions I had. Overall I would go back and volunteer again.
Great start for careers
Senior Systems Administrator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 June 2017
I started off working as a desktop support technician and quickly grew into other IT roles. When I started there were a lot of opportunities to shape your career path and the supervisors and directors were supportive. Would definitely go back if given the chance.
Great place to volunteer!
Child-Life Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 June 2017
I have loved volunteering here for a number of years now. Supervisors are excellent and the placement is very meaningful. It's competitive to be a part of the volunteer program but very worth it once you are there. There is a minimum attendance required.
raised money for them didnt actually volunteer there
Volunteering, Clown (Former Employee) –  Simcoe, ON14 June 2017
I stood outside a store for 24 hours in 2 days, raising money for the hospital, by selling cookies,brownies,cakes,and many other baked goods along with raffle tickets and popcorn
Productive and fun workplace
Patient Information Clerk (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 June 2017
Registering patients
Booking appointments
Filing reports
Preparing requisitions
Providing clerical support to all health care staff
Assisting in meeting the needs of the patients and their families when appropriate
Excellent learning experience
Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 May 2017
Staff work as a cohesive team to provide amazing healthcare. This is done while simultaneously giving a valuable learning experience to placement students.
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 May 2017
I’m going to write an honest review here, but Sick Kids is definitely a wonderful place to work.

You can probably work here for 20 years or until retirement if you really want to. Salary is better than most health care facilities, although there are no yearly bonuses at all for most positions. In terms of culture, departments work well with each other and employees are encouraged to share their ideas in order to improve systems or policies.

Management respects you as an individual and appreciates your contributions from what I’ve experienced. That’s hard to find.

It’s a great place to work if you’re qualified, and make your case in the interview. Just don’t expect very many people to talk to you in the hallways.
Pros
Meaningful work, Respected by higher management, Overall Freedom
Cons
Minimal guidance when getting started, No Excel time sheet management system
Flexible, friendly environment
Administrator/Clerk (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 May 2017
A typical day as an administration clerk is generally keeping the flow of the department and making sure everyone is looked after. It is all about keeping everything organized and patients satisfied. Our role is to input the requisitions given to us by patients into the system so they have a file were their images will be stored. We also register new patients in the hospital. The workplace is very friendly, rewarding and all staff is helpful if any help is required.
Excellent
Co-op Student (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 May 2017
I really enjoyed my placement at SickKids. I was able to interact with patients and families on different levels. I enjoyed it most because I was always learning, there is something new each day. The staffs are very friendly and helpful and want to see you succeed, they made it easy for a student like myself to ask questions and gain knowledge about the work force.The hardest part of the job was seeing all the little patients coming in for their treatments but it was also comforting knowing that they are in good hands. I'm interested in working in healthcare so his was a rewarding placement for me.
Wonderful place to work
Dietetic Intern (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 May 2017
SickKids is a wonderful place to work, in which you can feel truly proud to say you are a part of. The workers, patients, and environment make it an all around great place to work
Rewarding
Senior Financial Operations Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 May 2017
HSC is the largest peadiatric hospital in Toronto
Very rewarding work
Good team environment
Learn alot and very supportive management
Environment for development of skill set
Fun workplace
Child Life Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 May 2017
Volunteering is fun, yet it is hard work. The children can be delightful, yet it is a lot of responsibility. I would recommend it to all young people or elders who have some time to spare.
Great Place to work
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 May 2017
Great place to work with a dynamic team. Amazing opportunity to grow and learn new skills.

Rewarding career and a place to make a difference in the life of many children and their families.
Pros
Self scheduling
Cons
shift work
do good, feel good
HR Assistant (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON17 April 2017
I can't imagine anyone ever writing a bad review for Sick KIds. Its a 'do good, feel good' kind of culture. Everyone is happy to be there which makes it a fun place. you want to be at work and you want to stay there.
Educational Health Oriented World Class Hospital
Diversity Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 April 2017
Hospital for Sick Children is a dynamic educational institute. It promotes avenues for on going education for staff. There are several benefits afforded to staff including- dental. medical and pension benefits.
Pros
Staff development programs
unethical HR department
Laboratory Research Coordinator (Current Employee) –  PGCRL15 April 2017
In the research tower, PGCRL, none of the staff seem overly happy. Most people talk about how they need to find a new job. There is little room for career advancement and compared to other research institutes in Toronto, the salary and benefits are not very good. And everyone complains about HR. Commonly, everyone says they are incompetent, at worst, unethical and dishonest. Make sure you get what you need from them in writing because they will deny ever saying it to you otherwise.
Pros
Occasional free pizza lunches
Cons
Precarity
Excellent organisation
Operations Technician (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 April 2017
Great organisation to work for. Achieved and learned a lot working for this organisation, worked shifts helping the doctors and nurses do their jobs with ease