THE HOSPITAL FOR SICK CHILDREN Employee Reviews

Stable and Consistant
Communications Operator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 7, 2016
I would spend my shift answering phone calls and handling all emergency response calls for the hospital. My role required great awareness and quick response but it was still consistent work that was rather stable in a comfortable environment.
Pros
Comfortable work environment
Cons
varying shift schedule
Review
Research Associate - Finance (Internship) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 2, 2016
I was a summer student at the time. Overall, no complaints. The staff was excellent and I felt that the employees were interesting and genuine. Good place to work, and you realize that you're really doing things that impact children in need - always a worthy venture.
Great workplace
Education Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  NeonatologyAugust 4, 2016
Giant Carpet was a great workplace. Working at Giant carpet was like working with family. Great atmosphere and great people.
Operation Technician (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 7, 2016
Friendly environment / rewarding / very helpful co-workers /lots of technology to learn and the hardest about this job is the working shifts.
Poor culture
Project Manager (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 14, 2015
Many great people doing work they love with passion and care.
Some Senior Executives are petty and unkind people and talk frequently about how they are underpaid, their office furniture is not good enough, etc while making $300K+/year as noted on the sunshine list.
Limited advancement unless you are jaded and are willing to accept the status quo while pretending to go through the motions of change.
Pros
Great for your resume
Cons
Limited advancement
it was a stressful place to work,
Cardiology Technologist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 29, 2015
it was not a place to work for everyone. there was no job work and life balance. It was hard to see children suffering and especially sometime see children died. It also effected my health. I had to leave the job.
Cons
stressful, emotional and hard to see children suffering
very caring and compassionate people
accounting (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 7, 2015
hospital for sick children is a good place to work for.Ive worked with this company for 17 years.I've learned a lot and ive made friends over the years and I served the hospital well enough during my tenure.
Senior Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 2, 2015
Excellent co-workers;
Great team spirit
Good Documentation standards
Supportive executive team
A typical day at work is busy with meetings, presentations, status updates, review documents, briefing the sponsors/team on the project
Managing the cost and schedules
monitoring the risks and impacts and how to overcome the critical situations
Pros
Work from home facility; Remote access to corporate systems
Productive and motivating workplace
clinical research project coordinator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 1, 2015
SickKids is a very motivating and productive workplace. I always feel motivated to improve myself as a Clinical Research Project Coordinator.
Great teams and fellowship
Trainer - EPC Project (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 15, 2015
Endless opportunities for learning and advancement.
Common goal very evident in the culture.
Management is transparent and there is an open door policy throughout the institution.
Pros
Great camaraderie
Cons
Budget cuts - as with any responsible organization.
Customer Service
Information Co-Ordinator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 26, 2015
Providing customer service to patients, answering the phones and computer input. When your able to make it through the day with a smile on your face then you know that everything will be alright. Seeing the patients happy makes it enjoyable, unhappy patient makes your job hard.
productive place
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  555 University Avenue, Toronto, ON M5G 1X8August 14, 2015
co-workers are nice to help me, and provided me some great advice. work under fast speed. need to meet deadlines and work independently.
Month Long Practicum
Medical Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 1, 2014
The Hospital for Sick Children was the most exciting, unnerving and eye-opening place I have ever had the opportunity to work for.

I learned about GLPs and patient care from seasoned professionals. The most valuable thing I learned was from my experience in the phlebotomy unit. It is a never ending rush or children who are scared and many times in pain. It taught me to have compassion, but always remember that they need to have this done in order for their doctors to know what is wrong.

The people were simply amazing and always willing to help and teach.

The most enjoyable part of working at Sick Kids was knowing that in a small way I made a difference in the lives of these children.
Pros
feeling of fulfilment
Cons
rotating hours
Good experience
Research Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Toronto ONDecember 4, 2013
I've worked at SickKids for a 5 years. I've learned a lot while being there. The children taught me a lot of great life lessons and most of all , never to take life for granted.
We worked very independently and was managed only when we had questions or had a team meeting.
The hardest part of the job was not taking my work home with me because I'm so meticulous. However, I really did enjoy patient contact the most.
Pros
flexible work schedule
Cons
contract based
Volunteer Experience
VOLUNTEER (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 5, 2012
Handle mail, write out appointment cards, order supplies, file and send faxes

Providing clerical support to all health care staff by preparing clinic rooms and assist in directing patient and their families into these rooms

Place reminder calls to families of upcoming appointments.

Assist in meeting the needs of the patients and their families by answering general questions parents may have when the secretaries are busy
Pros
great, amazing staff that care about each and every patients
Cons
short time at sick kids
Structured, traditional work place
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 5, 2013
As an administrative assistant I was responsible for maintaining research and administrative records while ensuring their completeness and accuracy. I was also in charge arranging patient's appointments along other clerical duties. Working in the hospital was very special as I occasionally interacted face to face with parents of our patients. The hard part of the job was the knowledge that our patients were just kids, some with very serious adult illnesses. As a member of the Hematology-Oncology Department I had other administrative assistants and secretaries to interact with. If I encountered any job related problems I could always asked for help not only my co-workers but management as well.
Amazing practical experience.
Family and Child Relations (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 1, 2013
The Hospital for Sick Children has been an amazing opportunity. I have been able to mediate basic conflict, communicate with various managers, participate in current studies and I have been able to help public a poster on behalf of Sick Kids.

I think this opportunity has shown me how I can organize, manage, and being able to be interpersonal at all times. The hardest part of this job is to wait between cases since other parties are involved for example staff and family members, however it is extremely rewarding. I enjoy this internship opportunity and it has taught me a lot about myself in my abilities, my determination, my drive to learn more and my current skills.
Pros
amazing supervisor, great responsibilities and opportunities.
A challenging and fun workplace
Research Technologist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 2, 2012
A typical day consisted of organizing projects and performing laboratory experiments for clientele. Co-workers and management worked in a team effort and were very friendly. The job itself varied from day-to-day which kept every day new and unpredictable. My experiences and knowledge grew dramatically as a technologist here.
Pros
being taken out for lunch, flexible hours
professional setting
Clinical Research Project Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 4, 2014
Being a research assistant at Sick Kids was a good experience where I had the chance to be part of a research about clinical indicators of appendicitis. I did use my interview skills and techniques to motivate patients to voluntarily participate in the research. It was a fulfilling experience.
Pros
good pay on time
Cons
random hours and shifts and no benefits
The best place to work at.
Project Analyst/IT Trainee (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 30, 2015
• Developed Database skills by working on Admission Discharge Transfer (ADT) project and used Microsoft Database on daily basis to enter patient data.
• Monitored day-to-day management of projects such as ensuring activities and progressing as planned, and meet requirements.
• Coordinated ADT project work with project team members to make sure that everyone is aware of the current status of the project.
• Managed timely communications with all project team members, including vendor staff using Microsoft Outlook.
• Communicated project status bi-weekly via Project Status Report to the manager and other team members. For e.g. communicate any technical difficulties, communicate about the deadlines etc.
• Organized project team meetings using Microsoft Outlook Calendar, and prepare agendas and minutes for designated meetings.
• Designed and monitored project issues report from discovery through to resolution for quality assurance purposes.
• Use internal standards and procedures for project reporting and documentation. For e.g. communicate meeting minutes to other relevant departments within the hospital.
• Created project documentation for training purposes.

4.3