The Hospital for Sick Children Employee Reviews

Productive working environment
Billing Clerk (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 January 2018
The Hospital for Sick Kids is a very well known health facility that brings a sense of hope and wonders to the life of children with different health risks and issues. It is easily accessible, clean and organized working environment for staff, patients and patient families. Everyone is helpful and kind.
Not enjoyable (in my personal opinion)
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 December 2017
The Hospital for Sick Children has a longstanding brand and reputation that makes it one of the most sought-after employers to work for in this country. Once you're there, however, there is little opportunity for advancement and they have everybody that's new on contracts. They typically do that for those who hard hired as "externals" and there is some stigmatization with being one, given that the majority of people working there have been working there for some 20+ years.
There is no problem with having a workplace with longstanding staff, but as an "external" it just doesn't seem that your views and contributions are valued as much. For an organization that says they value "accelerating impact", it is not an environment that fosters innovation from my experience. Clearly, this would all depend on your role but I get the sense that no one gives two hoots about what your views are as a newcomer. That is unfortunate but I don't think that's going to change anytime soon. I know this seems overly negative so I'll add the main "perks" of being a Sick Kids employee.

ADVANTAGES:
- location, easy to access through public transportation.
- working there is a work experience resume builder.

What could be improved:
- Mandated annual salary increases (as a contract worker, apparently you aren't even "entitled" to salary increases above the rate of inflation unless you ask your manager for it. Imagine how nervewracking that can be if you don't even know whether or not they will keep you on the job.
- Feeling "valued" for your contributions
- Increased opportunities to meet
  more... with other department staff and network.. would be nice.  less
Senior Systems Analyst/Systems Administrator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 October 2017
I will miss Sick Kids. I met my wife there. It has been good to me throughout the years. It is great to be part of such a place; where children are tirelessly looked after and medical marvels happen on a daily basis.
Busy
Patient Information Clerk - Plastic Surgery Clinic (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 September 2017
Busy day and the hardest part is not being recognized for the job you do. Not everyone is viewed in the same eye, the best part of working there is seeing a smile on the children face and the family at the end of the day.
collabrative and supportive
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  555 University ave. Toronto Ontairo8 September 2017
Find working at sick kids a very supportive environment and politics are left to the higher ups. patient care is taken seriously and family centred care
Pros
Supportive and collaborative
Cons
Distrance from home
Volunteer
Volunteer Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON4 September 2017
It was a volunteer job I did. We washed cars and sold toys for Sick Kids.The people running the even were nice enough. Work and Life got in the way so I couldn't do it again.
Very Positive work environment
Co-op Student (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 September 2017
While doing my Co-op placement at Sickkids, I not only learned so much about what i want to do in my future i learned a lot about myself. It was such an amazing experience as i got to experience my possible career choice all up close. The people there made my time there absolutely amazing. I worked with kids ages of 0 days old to 18 years of age. I didn't get to tend to their medical needs but i did get to help the patients and their families get used to a hospital environment, as well as played with the patients and gave the parents a break if needed. I hope to work here in the future, my time here was amazing and i can't wait to be back to volunteer.
productive and fun work environment
Co-op Student (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 August 2017
Learned many new skills, supervisors were extremely supportive and encouraging. Fun and safe work environment. Many smiling faces from both staff and patient.
Perfect
Administrative Assistant to the Executive Director (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 August 2017
It was great working for Sick Kids, a great experience. Learned a lot about the hospital, workplace culture. Learned how to work new system and appreciated the leadership.
Amazing Workplace
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 August 2017
I have been working at SickKids since 2012 and I can truly say it is an amazing place. Although my position in the hospital has changed over the 5 years I have been here, I can truly say there are many individuals who want to see you succeed and push you to do better. There is plenty of room for growth, if you work hard and push yourself.
Positive environment, which is respectful of people from all walks of life
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 August 2017
The culture is positive, making each and every individual feel appreciated and respected.
Each person is made to feel as if their contributions matter.
Pros
Respectful
Cons
Pressure
Fabulous group of people to work with
Senior Secretary (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 August 2017
A typical day is varied depending on the type of individual you are supporting. Management is not good and no room for growth or development and the most enjoyable part of this job is the people in my department. They are a lovely group of individuals that you can learn a lot from and very family orientated.
Pros
Flexible and good work life balance
Cons
No bonus or pay increases
Research Study Participant
Volunteer Experiences (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 July 2017
I participated in a research study that will hopefully lead to better treatments for other patients at the hospital.
The researcher was very friendly and helpful
Very eye-opening
Co-op Student (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 July 2017
During my time at sick kids I Learned a lot. It help me gain a new perspective on life. I feel honoured that I was able to have this experience. All the supervisors were very great and were eager to help with any questions I had. Overall I would go back and volunteer again.
Great start for careers
Senior Systems Administrator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 June 2017
I started off working as a desktop support technician and quickly grew into other IT roles. When I started there were a lot of opportunities to shape your career path and the supervisors and directors were supportive. Would definitely go back if given the chance.
Great place to volunteer!
Child-Life Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 June 2017
I have loved volunteering here for a number of years now. Supervisors are excellent and the placement is very meaningful. It's competitive to be a part of the volunteer program but very worth it once you are there. There is a minimum attendance required.
raised money for them didnt actually volunteer there
Volunteering, Clown (Former Employee) –  Simcoe, ON14 June 2017
I stood outside a store for 24 hours in 2 days, raising money for the hospital, by selling cookies,brownies,cakes,and many other baked goods along with raffle tickets and popcorn
Productive and fun workplace
Patient Information Clerk (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 June 2017
Registering patients
Booking appointments
Filing reports
Preparing requisitions
Providing clerical support to all health care staff
Assisting in meeting the needs of the patients and their families when appropriate
Excellent learning experience
Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 May 2017
Staff work as a cohesive team to provide amazing healthcare. This is done while simultaneously giving a valuable learning experience to placement students.
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 May 2017
I’m going to write an honest review here, but Sick Kids is definitely a wonderful place to work.

You can probably work here for 20 years or until retirement if you really want to. Salary is better than most health care facilities, although there are no yearly bonuses at all for most positions. In terms of culture, departments work well with each other and employees are encouraged to share their ideas in order to improve systems or policies.

Management respects you as an individual and appreciates your contributions from what I’ve experienced. That’s hard to find.

It’s a great place to work if you’re qualified, and make your case in the interview. Just don’t expect very many people to talk to you in the hallways.
Pros
Meaningful work, Respected by higher management, Overall Freedom
Cons
Minimal guidance when getting started, No Excel time sheet management system