The Home Depot Employee Reviews

Found 1,298 reviews matching the search
Long Term Employee
Appliance associate, Kitchen / Bath , Plumbing (Former Employee) –  British ColumbiaAugust 29, 2015
Firstly...no place is perfect. For over 5 years I worked at the Home Depot as a part time associate. Over that time I mastered almost every department. I am not boasting but my desire to learn new retail methods encouraged me to a very high level of customer service. Comparing retail of today what it was 35 years ago to today....
1) Better pay
2) Better benefits
3) Lazier people
4) A terrible work / life balance.
5) Majority of associates not savvy in basic knowledge and even poorer customers.
6)Very arrogant customers lacking respect and integrity
7)Success sharing that was pitiful compared to a nice employee discount.
8) Higher expectations for management created by unruly customers.
9) Ethnic change that was huge
10) Open on holidays and Sunday (bad, very bad)

To summerize, a good basic place to work temporarly. Unfortunately Home Depot does not create a career oriented place of work due to foolish schedules and poor management. Close Sundays, say "no" to continual returns. Build a respectful relationship with customer and associate. Their scheduling is poor at best, years ago it was simple but today they create a confusing system. This by far is the worst dynamic of Home Depot. One last point...stop buying Chinese products only North American.
Pros
Pay, benefits
Cons
ridiculous scheduling with little respect for the associate
Pleasant work environment
Conseiller en vente (Current Employee) –  Quebec City, QCJune 22, 2016
I enjoy every day at work, the colleagues are all fantastic insofar as the way they treat each other. The management team listen to employees complaints and try their best to change things, the main bonne of contention is the salary, which, according to many co worker and i is low as compare to the competitors.
Pros
free dinner once a month
Productive and fun place to work as partime. Very flexiblae with hours
Sales Associate and Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONFebruary 22, 2016
Management was at most very good, and having to deal with customers was probably the hardest thing to this job because hey always want things asap. Co-workers very friendly but some just lazy.
Great company and benifts
Business System Consultant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 28, 2016
Involved in a lot social work.
Promotes to help society and does a lot for society.
Very positive environment.
Great benifts for part time employees which most companies don't give. Also plenty or perks being company employee, discount with partnering companies.
Got paid to chat about decks
Building Materials Department Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 30, 2016
Learned about different home projects and how to do them. Co-workers were friendly while management pushed for results/seemingly were unaware of how the employees operated in store during work (disconnect b/w sales floor associates and mgmt)
Pros
Good People
Cons
alternating schedule
the product quality
Special Service Asso/Project Coordinator Ins (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJuly 27, 2016
The product is researched before sold and this is giving the customer's confidence in what they buy. Working for Home Depot was a on going learning process but unfortunately there was no follow up. Positive feed back was few and far between.
Pros
helps customer's
Cons
n/a
Good place to work at.
Lumber/Building Associate (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBDecember 1, 2015
Great place in terms of fellow staff and management. I found even if you come late as long as you give notice your going to be late there is no "grief" like you may get and have gotten at other jobs.

Pay is not so great. This is perfect place for a university student or someone that lives at home, or retired, or married to a spouse who is the bread winner. NOT so great if your single, got a mortage/car payments/ credit card debit working part time.

Only bad thing is that you cannot really control your hours of work, so if you get a second job make sure that company is flexible.
productive and challenging
Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ONJuly 29, 2016
receive all the merchandize (dry walls, lumbers, plumbing ,etc.) from the trucks by driving the forklift and organize them in stock pile.
the hardest part of my job is the night shift that starts from 10 to 6:30 am.
the most enjoyable part of my job is when I fulfill all my tasks on time.
time flies when it is busy, cant make living here tho
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Owen Sound, OntarioMay 18, 2015
Not a bad place to work. Most customers are very friendly and appreciate your efforts which makes your job a lot more enjoyable.
Management is mostly supportive, but poorly trained or chosen. Not sure which.
The expectations of this job are huge. For minimum wage you bust your hump and then some. You have to like what you do or you will not stay. It certainly is not for the money. Very few chances for advancement. Wage increases are paltry.
Pros
Good people, benefits even for part-time, flexible hours
Cons
you cannot earn a living on this wage and these hours
Amazing Place
INBOUND-OUTBOUND SHIPPER& RECEIVER (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 17, 2016
getting recipe and mixing ingredients
cleaning dishes
sanitization
filling up the empty bins with product
washing and moping floors
the management was good and the CEO openly visits the production
Pros
free cookies cakes pastries coffe
Cons
too hot and no benefits
learning experience
Tool Rental/Business Services Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, ABSeptember 14, 2016
have worked sales and with people face to face but never in a situation like Home Depot...helping people decide what they need/want, etc. They helped me move up in the company and if i didnt get the opportunity for the electrician job i may still be there.
fun with the supportive Teams
Merchandiser Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMay 22, 2016
-stocking product to shelf so customer can buy their needs, i learned that no matter what customer is always right and you have to value their opinion,the management is good too.very supportive to the employee to the work standard,the team is very supportive o each other,the hardest part of the job is is you have to get up so early to work,i always enjoy with my job
Night shift review
Night shift (Current Employee) –  CambridgeSeptember 3, 2015
Night shift is ok. its a good job but its really hard to balance life and work with these hours. however its the perfect shift to get your foot in the door with the company and learn how to use lift trucks and how the company works without worrying about customers. very supportive management and a great company to work for as a whole. the job is easy but can also be a work out.
Pros
part time benefits, lift truck training
Cons
hard hours at night.
excellent
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBSeptember 7, 2016
Home depot is a very good place to build a career. The job is set up to help their employees balance out their personal life. Its a place where you feel at home when working. All other employees are willing to help you carry out your daily activities at work.
Pros
good working place
Sales representative (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ONSeptember 18, 2016
starting work at 5:30 till 2:30, have 10 minute breaks every 3 and half hours and 20 minute lunch break, I learned how to manage time and handle my own responsibilities, having good conversation with my co-workers, I used the forklift to move products around.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
N/A
Friendly environment.
Engineer Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 1, 2015
I did my internship at The home Depot and I have to say It was a great opportunity for me,The most enjoyable part of the job was the challenges that my team and me were going through to solve the problems since the Rapid Deployment Centre is the first RDC that THD has opened in Canada. I learned a lot since there were a lots of opportunities to find in each area (Inbound, Processing and Outbound) and find the best solution for each opportunity.

Slotting in preparation for Holiday and Spring events was my favorite project. I analyzed the quantities and dimensions of Holiday and Spring articles, then calculated optimal storage locations and pick paths.
Pros
Friendly environment, Supportive management, great events.
Cons
Don't have training for the beginners, there are alots of usefull documents on share drive, and share point. but there is no source or library to find them.
Productive nights, and long hours.
Freight Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBApril 26, 2016
5 days a week, 8 hours a night, I worked night shifts, every day of the week, including weekends. Co-workers were well informative, and very helpful. I learned it is very important to stay on task, and do your assigned job, as instructed to do so, without any complaints. It is important to keep a positive work attitude, and stay on track with your hours, if not, it could affect you in the long run.
Pros
Lunch Breaks were good
Cons
Long hours.
Diversity in the work place
Merchandising Execution Team (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJune 23, 2016
Love that this company hires a wide variety of employees with different ages, ethnicity, beliefs and backgrounds

Worked with most immediate coworkers for 5 years resulting in some amazing life-long friendships
Pros
Competitive full time benefits
Cons
Merchandising team was hard to advance in
The Home Depot
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ONMay 2, 2016
The Home Depot has taught me diversity, time management, leadership, and independence.

The hardest part of the job was learning and remembering all the different departments and merchandise that comes in each said department.

The most enjoyable part of my job was definitely the customers. Home Depot has some of the most loyal, honest, kindest and understanding customers I have ever witnessed out of all my years in retail.
Great Place To Work
Lumber Sales Associate/Labourer (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABJune 14, 2016
I love working at the Home Depot. The managers are fair and easy-going, and the work is not very stressful. Most of the fellow employees are in good spirits and always have smiles on their faces. The biggest issue here is pay. The job pays very poorly and when the store is not that busy, your hours can get cut.