The Home Depot Employee Reviews in Canada

Found 1,240 reviews matching the search
great place to work
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABFebruary 23, 2016
had a great time working here great staff made sum good friends n management is great work with me they were very flexible and accommodating to me
Pros
flexible, accommodating
Cons
very few ....
Productive nights, and long hours.
Freight Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBApril 26, 2016
5 days a week, 8 hours a night, I worked night shifts, every day of the week, including weekends. Co-workers were well informative, and very helpful. I learned it is very important to stay on task, and do your assigned job, as instructed to do so, without any complaints. It is important to keep a positive work attitude, and stay on track with your hours, if not, it could affect you in the long run.
Pros
Lunch Breaks were good
Cons
Long hours.
Energetic and productive
Lot Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBNovember 6, 2015
The Home Depot was never a dull place to work and the staff worked well together across all departments and formed good workplace relationships. Management was always available to listen and provide assistance or advice. The hardest part of the job was dealing with customers who were flat out rude or even confrontational. I learned how to engage customers in a dialogue so they knew I was paying attention to them and treating them with respect.
Pros
designated breaks, health insurance
Cons
Rude and/or confrontational customers
Retail Job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 12, 2016
It was a basic retail job. Nothing special. Management was friendly but not extremely reliable. Shifts were horrible though due to under staffing.
Fun working environment building the necessary skills to use in your every day life
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONOctober 29, 2015
A typical day at the Home Depot customer service desk includes,
coming to work at 5:45 am (15 min before opening) printing out reports, completing the necessary steps to complete and file the reports. setting up deliveries, reconciling cash, speaking to management about orders, customers, complaints, issues.

What I have learnt working at Home Depot is the acronym
"F.I.R.S.T"
F-Find
I-Inquire
R-Respect
T-Thank
Follow these steps while helping any one and it will really help the interaction.

My co-workers at the Home Depot are more like a mini family. We bring each other up and support one another.

The hardest part of the job is having to delegate some of the tasks out to others because I am such a perfectionist that I think I can take on everything.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the co-workers as mentioned above they are more like a mini family, we share laughs, tears, and hard times. Some of the regular customers I have now become accustomed too and they are opening their lives up to me as well.
Pros
free training
Cons
high demanding
The Home Depot
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ONMay 2, 2016
The Home Depot has taught me diversity, time management, leadership, and independence.

The hardest part of the job was learning and remembering all the different departments and merchandise that comes in each said department.

The most enjoyable part of my job was definitely the customers. Home Depot has some of the most loyal, honest, kindest and understanding customers I have ever witnessed out of all my years in retail.
You'll Be Chasing That Twinkie Forever
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Millstream, VictoriaApril 7, 2015
Management leads its associates on forever telling them they'll get more hours, a raise, more training, but it never happens. When they do want you to train they make you train while your on the sales floor but if you miss one customer they poo all over you.
Basically they feed you a bunch of sugar coated lies and then when you show initiative and or when they feel they could have someone else in that position at min wage you get the boot for whatever reason they choose. Employees start out happy but end up very bitter and depressed from working there.
Pros
$5.00 Lunches on Fridays
Cons
Managment that cares only about themselves
Productive and friendly workplace
Department Supervisor (Current Employee) –  West Vancouver, BCJune 4, 2015
The most enjoyable part is the DIVERSITY of the employees. There are people from different parts of the world, different ages, cultures, and native people. It is s a place for everybody.

Home Depot has an excellent on-line training program for each associate that starts with the basic training for the new position and extends as a Continue Education Program which is supervised by the HR manager.

Through this company I have learned the art of selling, identifying the customer's needs using effective communication while providing excellent customer service.

Moreover, as Department Supervisor, I have honed my leadership skills, building strong and productive work teams. It has been, as well, an opportunity to grow in time management, associate's performance evaluation, sales analysis, planning and implementing marketing strategies.

In general terms, it is a fast pacing yet friendly work environment. Every day brings different situations with customers and the associates, facing new challenges which allow growth to me, my co-workers and the company.
Pros
Good Benefits, Serious company, Respect for everybody, Friendly work environment.
Cons
Variable week schedule.
Acting Assistant Store Manager
ACTING ASSISTANT STORE MANAGER HOME DEPOT (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONNovember 9, 2015
Assisted store manager to enhance specialty sales processes with a particular focus on kitchens and flooring.
Trained department supervisors on effective associate training, setting expectations, focusing on effective inventory, executing monthly special promotions on products and services.
Helped established a bi-monthly game plan for each department for sales, credit and installs.
Pros
learning new skills
Cons
Push back from department supervisors
Great place to work, people are great and decent part time pay.
Paint Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ONJuly 17, 2016
Great work culture that creates a very social and positive work area while being focused on training and great service to customers. A lot of experience in organization and team building. Part time pay is quite little and benefits and minimal.
Pros
Friendly environment with great experience.
Cons
In-consistent hours and low pay.
fun with the supportive Teams
Merchandiser Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMay 22, 2016
-stocking product to shelf so customer can buy their needs, i learned that no matter what customer is always right and you have to value their opinion,the management is good too.very supportive to the employee to the work standard,the team is very supportive o each other,the hardest part of the job is is you have to get up so early to work,i always enjoy with my job
Good Employer
Front-end Associate (Cashier) (Current Employee) –  Carleton Place, ONJanuary 25, 2016
Home Depot is a very supportive company that genuinely cares about its employees. Management does whatever it can to help out at work and to accommodate the personal lives of the people that work there.
Great Environment and Staff
Customer Service Representative/Cashier (Current Employee) –  North York, TorontoJuly 16, 2015
My typical day at work would be to come in and provide excellent customer service to all customers in the store. Whether I am doing a floor sale or phone sale or cashing out customers my job at the home depot is to make sure every single customer leaves with complete satisfaction and a smile on their face and only then I know my job is completed. At the home depot I've learned the company's core values such as doing the right thing, respect for all people, building store/customer relationships, and most importantly giving exceptional customer service. The management team at the home depot are very friendly and welcoming but can not always be found when associates on the floor need help and should be more respectful when disciplining associates. Like most jobs they all have pros and cons, the hardest part about my job is opening up new home depot credit cards but the most enjoyable part about my job is being a team player and getting to work with some amazing people.
Pros
Great staff, Great benefits, Long lunch periods.
Cons
Not the best management, not the best pay
Stay away
Merchandise Execution Team (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 27, 2016
The pay was low. Management slashed hours and hired new people instead of employing the people they have. Moral was low. Some people at some stores are very caddy and play Favoritism.
Cons
Management, the pay, the work, co-workers
Great staff interaction, Great benefits
Pro Account Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NBOctober 18, 2015
Good working environment, advancement is possible with proper training provided, Wages could be improved according to skills and experience.
Benefits
Cons
wages
excellent work team
Outdoor Seasonal Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 15, 2016
Busy store environment, good co workers, wide variety of customers, many small tasks, good support from management and co workers
Pros
large work environment
Cons
impersonal relations with management
Great Community
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ONOctober 6, 2015
Home Depot has a great social committee that frequently plans fun events. At least once per month they cook breakfast, bring in baked goods, etc. They also do their best to get to know you as an individual.

As a part-timer, partial health benefits are offered after three months. Also, with Success Sharing, there is bonus money given in each quarter.

If you are a student, they also offer financial assistance with schooling.

As a cashier, your hours can vary drastically. The hours are often very poor in the winter.

Customers are the rudest at Home Depot than I have ever encountered, but the staff makes up for that.

Overall, it is a great place to work.
free pizza lunches for working overime
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ONJuly 22, 2016
While working at Home Depot I really enjoyed working with so many people everyday, also I liked the fast pace environment, always something to do. Id have to say one of the hardest part of the job was adjusting to the hours, getting in the routine of waking up at 4am wasn't easy.
Pros
free pizza lunces for working overtime
Cons
no benifits
Pleasant work environment
Conseiller en vente (Current Employee) –  Quebec City, QCJune 22, 2016
I enjoy every day at work, the colleagues are all fantastic insofar as the way they treat each other. The management team listen to employees complaints and try their best to change things, the main bonne of contention is the salary, which, according to many co worker and i is low as compare to the competitors.
Pros
free dinner once a month
Great place to work, especially for students and Part-Time
FLOORING ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ONJuly 21, 2016
Good Support and job Culture. Managers and supervisors are really helpful. Training you can use for other trade jobs. work days are not too long and supervisors take time to properly train each associate with almost professional precision.
Pros
easy work, hour launch
Cons
none really for the type of job