The Home Depot Employee Reviews

Found 1,495 reviews matching the search
good positions for students
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 February 2017
Hey its home depot what more is there to say. You clock in, do your work and leave. Simple as that. warehouse sales environment very busy on the weekends. Usually hire a lot of staff for seasonal garden department in April.
Although frustrating it is a great place to work.
Lot Associate (Current Employee) –  Ontario2 October 2016
It is not my intention to stay with Home Depot Canada for an extended amount of time to consider it my career, but if I did not have a plan ahead of myself it would suit well for a career. After working with the Home Depot throughout my post-secondary education, I have now been able to take on a bigger role within the Front-End of the store I am currently at. Through the guidance of management, I went from only working on Lot, to being trained as a cashier, and now a tool rental associate all within a 3-4 month period. Many department supervisors are offering to have me trained in their departments, and I have seen many people who apply themselves to their workplace see the same offers being given to them.
Pros
coworkers, personable management, simplistic work
Cons
constantly asking for hours
Great work environment, decent wage
Lot Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 January 2017
I very much enjoyed working here as the people were very welcoming and my managers were very good at recognizing achievements. My position was Part-Time but I was given 35 hours a week on average which I really appreciated.
Productive and fun place to work at
Online Community Specialist (Former Employee) –  North York, ON12 December 2016
The people are very cheerful and good to work with however everyone is very tense when it comes to management. There is way too much corporate drama at times.
Pros
Very comfortable offices
Cons
Too many people who are not from the industry
Fun place to work
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC18 January 2017
Nice people and very accepting in all ways, you wouldn't ever think you could remember over 150 peoples names but at some point you'll meet and know everyone
Pros
people, outside of work gatherings, pay and bonus.
Cons
hours can be short given
Don't go into management
Human Resources Manager (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC8 October 2016
Continually expected to work 10 to 12 hours per day, they claim they don't but they schedule you for mandatory meetings that extend your day.
Expected to be checking emails and give your personal cell for contact on your time off.
Very low salary/pay, benefits ok, but the bonuses are no where near what they promise. No one I met has ever received the promised 25% even if they exceed sales plan.
They don't fire people often so job security is pretty good but then you have to work with below par employees that should have been fired in their probationary period.
Everyone is tired. There is no work/life balance and this impacts the culture.
It is a retail environment so most people are upbeat and ready to give good customer service which can look deceiving. Look deeper and you will see the reality.
benefits
Cons
almost everything else.
Great opportunity to work at
Customer Service/cashiers (Current Employee) –  1983 Kipling avenue1 November 2016
Great opportunity to work at
Great opportunity to learn
about what the company can offer
Good benefits and values
More career opportunity
Busy work place
Company took care of their people
Respect others
None races
Pros
Profit sharing, salary increase after reviews
Cons
Minimal hours
Flexible Hours
Cashier/Cashier Supervisor/ Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON23 February 2017
As a student, the employer is great for being flexible to individuals' busy schedules with various shifts/hours being given for employees to continue to maintain a balance between school and work.
kitchen designer
Kitchen design and flooring specialist (Former Employee) –  Sault-Sainte-Marie, ON10 November 2016
designed kitchens and baths, Also specialized in flooring and installs, in-store blinds and special order. Daily customer service . Team work and organizing product within the store
Pros
always meeting new people and helping out with customers projects
Cons
shift work
Productive ,friendly and excellent associate relationahip
Inventory management associate (IMA) (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON2 October 2016
In 2013 I have made the best choice when I chose working there. Management treat their associate with respect and always have a passion to help motivate and elevate . We are big and customer services,we are always rewarded wen we go above and beyond . The working atmosphere is one to die for
if you could find what you love to do you would be okay
Cashier/Garden Centre (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON8 October 2016
Home Depot was a fun place to work because the people were great and if you were in a department you loved, it was fun. I loved working in the Garden Centre, you were always learning and nurturing.
Pros
great people, awesome garden centre
Cons
favouritism between management, difficult to move up in the company
Fun experience with different customers
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 November 2016
Listening to customers' needs and trying to satisfy their needs by getting them what they were looking for or probing them further and getting them something very close to what they had in their minds
Pros
Handy man experience
Cons
No humanity at all
Its fun to work at home depot
Cashier - Part Time (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 November 2016
lots of different activities they have for employees.
they arrange potluck for employees
they provide different trainings to employees
they provide all safty eqipments to employee
Pros
small intervals they arrange potluck & get food from different restaurents
Okay workplace with poor management
Paint/Lot Associate (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, ON15 October 2016
The Home Depot is overall a good company. They offer various benefits not only for full-time employees but also part-time employees. These include health and dental, tuition reimbursement, and more.
Management depends on location. I was at the Woodbridge, ON location and management was deplorable. There were one or two that employees approved of and the rest were arrogant, excessively bossy, rude to employees, and overall not at all understanding that things happen that affect one's efficiency.
There were instances where a customer made a false accusation toward me (such as being rude) and the manager wouldn't even hear my side of things. I got yelled at in front of customers for something that wasn't even my fault, reprimanded wrongfully, and more.
Pros
Tuition reimbursement for students, benefits, breaks
Cons
Management, long hours, inconsistent schedules
Good workplace as a first job for part time
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS13 March 2017
Great place to work starting out as part time as there are insurance benefits etc. Gives knowledge in multiple departments and other information which can be related outside of work.
Working at the Home Depot
Store Associate (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON21 March 2017
Good place to work. Currently on night shift. They give full time hours but rarely hire "full time". Ive been there for 2 years now. If you want to move up in the company night shift is not the position you want to pursue.
Great co-workers, Great benefits
Lot Associate (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON6 September 2016
my co-workers were the best part about that job they always wanted everyone to succeed and would go out of their way help,

I was part time but i got benefits that most places would only give to full time employees.

the hardest part of the job was finding the products that where still on the shelfs.

the management could have been better, there was a lot of miscommunication between management, it was mostly miss scheduled days or things being moved and no one being told where.
Pros
family freindly/ can plan your job around your life
Cons
Excellent company to work for.
Senior Sales (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON15 February 2017
The Home Depot provides their employees with a respectful, diversified and customer service oriented environment to work in.

The leadership team are always supportive and encourage team work. They respect my innovative ideas I suggest to them in team meetings. Consistent work related training is required to ensure I am following all the policies of the company and also to keep me updated on new procedures, systems and product knowledge. I know I am very fortunate to work in this type of environment.

I definitely feel I am part of The Home Depot "Team", and thoroughly enjoy working here.
Pros
Appreciation and Recognition by Management
Cons
The Seasonal Dept. can be a very chaotic department to work in, as the products are consistently changing all the time, therefore, it is extremely important to be able to multi-task constantly, following directives from many different managers often at the same time, which at times can become stressful. Therefore, you must know and be guided by your priorities each day.
Is a great company to work for
Cashier, Paints, Flooring, Head cashier (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB7 February 2017
I began as a cashier and very quickly moved up, and into different departments. There's always room to grow, to learn and always opportunities. I thoroughly enjoyed my placements there.
Being equal as one
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB1 February 2017
Home Depot is a really good place to work, you get to learn a bunch of new cool things, you get to meet and talk to great customers and coworkers. Customers get to know you and look forward to see you working and being their cashier. Being a cashier has taught me a lot of how to treat people. You're taking these people money, and they're what pay my paychecks. A lot of times I deal with people after a long day at work or whatever, their daily lives, I'm the last person they see before leaving the store, they could be having a terrible day and they might be rude and careless but at the end of the I will always act professional if a customer is being rude because they might be having a bad day you never want to make that situation worse than it already is, you have to be nice and friendly just because it might brighten up their day, you never know whats going on in their lives. Always put the customers before yourself while on the floor.
Pros
good staff, option of 30 mins or a hour lunch, pretty flexible hour, good staff
Cons
not enough hours in the winter

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Home Depot. Our community is ready to answer.