The Home Depot Employee Reviews

Found 1,409 reviews matching the search
Job
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Orangeville, ON28 October 2016
This is a good part time job. However hours are limited in the winter months Coworker are excellent to work.
Customer interaction is excellent part of the job.
The training is provided however more could be done in this area.
Not bad of a work day if your not in need to pay bills
Sales Associate level 2 (Current Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB28 October 2016
The job itself is not too bad and the manager are not the best but they are good at what they do. Your hours can get cut but they will do what they can to improve them. You sort of get the chance to pick your own wage but has long as you have long experience of working in sales. But they do not increase your wage that much and you get arise once a year, you basically have to relied on profit sharing which I find is a joke for the company to not pay you more money and everyone seems to be convince that it is the best thing but its not which means you have to hit target each day that you are here. Be aware of lot of change when you come to work here.
Pros
Free meals once in a while
Cons
Have to relied on profit sharing a lot to make money
Helping customer do it yourself.
Lumber Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 October 2016
Loading, shipping, cutting materials, and customer service.
Holding do it yourself seminars on a weekly basis.
On the job training everyday or when needed.
Pros
Team socail events.
Cons
Outside / Weekends.
A well rewarding entry-level job.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON25 October 2016
Though the job can get boring at times, and the pay is lackluster at best, the job itself and benefits are good enough for an entry level job. The issue I have with the job is that I came to it with 5 years of experience in my field, and I was not given any form of pay raise for that experience, though I consistently outsell my quotas.
Pros
Good benefits, relaxed environment.
Cons
Boring tedious work, lack of advancement
valuable experience
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 October 2016
learned the standard procedure of cash check out,gained experience to avoid shrinks, fun to wok in a team, supportive management, resulting to gain more experience in different departments
no commend
Flooring Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON21 October 2016
there is no commend, there is fun and joy work in HomeDepot. This store people is very friendly and I am very happy to work there. But there is no full time available.
best workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Parry Sound, ON19 October 2016
everyone including customers was always cheerful and happy.\even as an employee you were always greeted with a smile. Never had a bad day working with this company
Pros
happy, joyful environment
Cons
long days
Caring Workplace
HR Staffing Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 October 2016
Highly held core values. Management can be difficult at times. Job is stressful if not given adequate management support. Opportunities for advancement if you work hard.
Home Depot Review
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 October 2016
Good environment with friendly workers who are helpful with what they can do for customers. Always nice to come back to when you need something.
Focus on Training Time
Special Services Associate (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC18 October 2016
It often it so busy and understaffed, that proper training was basically impossible. Management expected you to know how to do everything after a month of being on floor. What happens is it is quiet and you are being taught how to do a complex order on the system. However, then many customers come and the trainer finishes the process without you, as you are now paying attention to the customers. Thus, you learn how to start the process, but never finish.

However coworkers were wonderful and more helpful.

Most enjoyable part was the free food on some days and the amount of break time they gave you based off hours. Often understaffed in most departments.
Pros
Free food
Cons
needs dedicated time for actual proper training
Very good team inter department relations
Associé aux ventes, spécialiste dép. plomberie (Current Employee) –  St-Henri, Montreal QC18 October 2016
Good working atmosphere with colleagues and management.
On going "Formation" keeps us informed on new technologies.
Management always try to improve well being.
Slow supply line makes it difficult to do your work fully and the lack of local power is difficult for direct management to address problems.
It's a big machine with slow response time.
Pros
Many social and training activities organized for employees
Cons
Slow response time on supply, lack of local management power, schedule limitations and restrictions
The Company Culture
Department Manager, (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON17 October 2016
The company culture is totally different from before with the seasoned leadership from within. The previous team of leadership applied the principles of core values as the preach. The present team in general who mostly came from the outside, only preaches core value but does not apply it. There is too much politics in the company in general. Most Lead Management in store level as I see and learn from other associates from other stores, observes the impartial and unbalanced treatment of employees. What is clear at present is whom you know than what you know. The practice now in general is that you have to be in the top management's blessing as your best talent. The original culture that respect and value for employees' welfare is non-existence. if you are a highly principled person who is not into work politics, this is not a conducive work environment for you. But if you are a person that loves corporate politics, it is the best pllace for you.
It has completely change since I started with the original ownership..
Pros
A good name to be affiliated as a worker
Cons
You have to find a store that has a principled Store Manager that recognizes skills and talents
Okay workplace with poor management
Paint/Lot Associate (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, ON15 October 2016
The Home Depot is overall a good company. They offer various benefits not only for full-time employees but also part-time employees. These include health and dental, tuition reimbursement, and more.
Management depends on location. I was at the Woodbridge, ON location and management was deplorable. There were one or two that employees approved of and the rest were arrogant, excessively bossy, rude to employees, and overall not at all understanding that things happen that affect one's efficiency.
There were instances where a customer made a false accusation toward me (such as being rude) and the manager wouldn't even hear my side of things. I got yelled at in front of customers for something that wasn't even my fault, reprimanded wrongfully, and more.
Pros
Tuition reimbursement for students, benefits, breaks
Cons
Management, long hours, inconsistent schedules
Productive workplace with many materials to manage
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON12 October 2016
Worked in the garden centre and inside seasonal
Gained a lot of of experience about summer seasonal items, such as bbq's, lawnmowers, trimmers, etc. Learned many things about a garden, plants, taking care of your lawn.

Management was good, very experienced and easy to communicate with, co-workers were all the same.

Hardest part was helping many customers all at once, at The Home Depot it is a very busy place and customers expect you to do something for you quickly, so adapting to that environment was very helpful.
Pros
Benefits, breaks with pay, fun experience
Cons
Taking care of many things at once
fun workplace
Expert (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 October 2016
during my time at home depot I learned about the product and I had great customer services experience. Also working at home depot i faces new challenge everyday.
Pros
learning new stuff
Cons
short hours
Stressful
Fulfillment Night Associate (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB9 October 2016
I was working for the night associate team and working from 9 at night till 5; 30 in the morning, you slept in till like 4 in the afternoon and only have a few hours to yourself for 4 days out of the week.
Dynamic, Friendly, and Growth-Fostering Work
Lot Associate (Former Employee) –  Stoney Creek, ON9 October 2016
The Home Depot was a pleasant place to work. Since my father had used to work there prior, I was treated excellently by many of its associates. I had worked very hard in my time there and was acknowledged well for it. The work environment is dynamic, sometimes fast-paced, usually friendly and welcoming, and allows you to expand your skill-set so as to enable you to apply and work in other fields (which I deeply appreciated). Working as a Lot Associate was difficult but I was often complimented and admired by other associates and felt very happy to contribute. The management is very considerate and kind. I truly admired their style and attention to workers. There was only ever one problem with one particular associate that everyone seemed to dislike due to their behaviour but I was able to overcome any personal differences so as to create a work-environment that directs more towards productivity. A typical day at work involved receiving several calls on the work-phone they distribute to employees to help or assist in loading something, as well as managing the organization of all carts in the lot. You would have to clear the snow from all the main entrances and salt the walkways in the Winter. The summer and spring seasons would be extremely busy and your services would be called upon throughout the entirety of the day. A typical shift would be approximately 4 to 8 hours (considering the day or whether or not you were part-time or full-time) and would allow you two breaks of 15-minutes and one 30-minute lunch. This was sufficient to allow rest and recovery so as to continue working,  more... but on extremely busy days it was nearly impossible to have some form of respite from the madness and chaos that raged on throughout the entire day. Overall, I somewhat enjoyed working at The Home Depot.  less
Pros
Occasionally free lunches, often acknowledged for hard work, friendly environment
Cons
Heavy physical labour, some unpleasant customers and co-workers, sometimes unfair treatment
if you could find what you love to do you would be okay
Cashier/Garden Centre (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON8 October 2016
Home Depot was a fun place to work because the people were great and if you were in a department you loved, it was fun. I loved working in the Garden Centre, you were always learning and nurturing.
Pros
great people, awesome garden centre
Cons
favouritism between management, difficult to move up in the company
Don't go into management
Human Resources Manager (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC8 October 2016
Continually expected to work 10 to 12 hours per day, they claim they don't but they schedule you for mandatory meetings that extend your day.
Expected to be checking emails and give your personal cell for contact on your time off.
Very low salary/pay, benefits ok, but the bonuses are no where near what they promise. No one I met has ever received the promised 25% even if they exceed sales plan.
They don't fire people often so job security is pretty good but then you have to work with below par employees that should have been fired in their probationary period.
Everyone is tired. There is no work/life balance and this impacts the culture.
It is a retail environment so most people are upbeat and ready to give good customer service which can look deceiving. Look deeper and you will see the reality.
benefits
Cons
almost everything else.
It's okay but....
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 October 2016
At first it nice to work here. Helping customer is fun but in the long run too much politics and back stabbing.. if they want to get rid of you they will give a hard time so that you will quit and denied all your schedule request.
Pros
Good co worker
Cons
Management and some ASM