The Home Depot Employee Reviews

Found 1,297 reviews matching the search
Great company depending on the management team per location
Operations (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSAugust 24, 2016
Great company depending on the management team per location.
Could be the best or worst of working environments. Way too much freedom of management types left unchallenged from outside of each location. The concept of the Home Depot culture is great and if followed was a wonderful work environment.
Pros
Excellent culture and great employees.
Cons
Managemnt styles
Decent place to work but some miscommunication between managers causes confusion on a daily basis
Order Picker (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, ABAugust 11, 2016
Typical day at work is usually fairly busy. You learn to prioritize your time according to your daily tasks that are given. The hardest part of the job is the general lack of communication between departments and the manager. For the most part it is a good place to work, especially if you are seeking part time employment .
What I liked as disliked about the job.
Lot Associate (Former Employee) –  London, ONApril 19, 2016
I would get the lot prepared before the power hours in order to ensure that I was ready to start the day. Follow up with Management on the Safety Check List to ensure that everything was safe before the start of the day. When power hours came I would wait totally on customers. Help them load their cars and help them put a flag on their materials to ensure everything was up to code before departure. I would say most of the time Management was great but there would be days where I felt bullied completely because our store as a team was not doing enough to make the day. That was frustrating. I would say the hardest thing about working the lot is the there are too many bosses wanting different tasks out of you. There are 4 head cash associates, 1 front end manager as well as a special services manager. So too many orders being enforced all at once. I would say the most enjoyable thing about the job was we had alot of lunches which were catered in from management at special times of the year.
Pros
The Benefits
Cons
Too Many Managers running the front end.
time flies when it is busy, cant make living here tho
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Owen Sound, OntarioMay 18, 2015
Not a bad place to work. Most customers are very friendly and appreciate your efforts which makes your job a lot more enjoyable.
Management is mostly supportive, but poorly trained or chosen. Not sure which.
The expectations of this job are huge. For minimum wage you bust your hump and then some. You have to like what you do or you will not stay. It certainly is not for the money. Very few chances for advancement. Wage increases are paltry.
Pros
Good people, benefits even for part-time, flexible hours
Cons
you cannot earn a living on this wage and these hours
productive fast paced enviroment
Special Service Desk Associate (Former Employee) –  westmount edmonton albertaSeptember 21, 2015
Fun fast work pace with nothing the same twice. Benefits are really good and are worth it. Politics can be some what out there but all around management tries to work with you as much as they can.
always a good day at home depot
Assistant Store Manager Hardliners (Former Employee) –  Home depot CalgaryOctober 1, 2015
the company has a very good training program and is always looking to help staff advance, best place to work great policies.
Pros
good benifits
Cons
shift work long hours
My time with Home Depot
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJune 15, 2016
The staff were easy to get along with, however I found that the management wasn't very coordinated. The workplace conditions were fine if a little disorganized at times. I found the hardest part of the job was putting up with the monotony of the routine and the lack of proper training, often you're left to fend for yourself. I enjoyed being around the other staff and customers as we got along quite well.
Pros
The people
Cons
Lack of hours
Floor worker (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONNovember 12, 2015
Really friendly co workers willing to help new employees out.This place had great benefits even for part time employees . Great hours
Reliable and fun place to work.
Vault Associate (Current Employee) –  Bolton, ONApril 6, 2016
Home Depot cares about their associates, from free BBQ's to PS4's in the the break room. We work hard for them and they do reward us. There is a real team feeling throughout the store and associates are always willing to help each other out. Great place to work.
Pros
Free BBQ's and contests
Cons
A lot of physical work
Easy going, fun place to work
Paint Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONJune 7, 2016
I really enjoy working for the Home Depot for my amazing coworkers, and all the benefits that come with the job. When the company is successful there are often free lunches, and fun things done for the associates. I really like that Home Depot is very transparent with their employees by letting associates know of sales that the store has been making.
Pros
Free lunches, great coworkers
Cons
Unreliable hours, and scheduling
Great place to work, people are great and decent part time pay.
Paint Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ONJuly 17, 2016
Great work culture that creates a very social and positive work area while being focused on training and great service to customers. A lot of experience in organization and team building. Part time pay is quite little and benefits and minimal.
Pros
Friendly environment with great experience.
Cons
In-consistent hours and low pay.
You'll Be Chasing That Twinkie Forever
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Millstream, VictoriaApril 7, 2015
Management leads its associates on forever telling them they'll get more hours, a raise, more training, but it never happens. When they do want you to train they make you train while your on the sales floor but if you miss one customer they poo all over you.
Basically they feed you a bunch of sugar coated lies and then when you show initiative and or when they feel they could have someone else in that position at min wage you get the boot for whatever reason they choose. Employees start out happy but end up very bitter and depressed from working there.
Pros
$5.00 Lunches on Fridays
Cons
Managment that cares only about themselves
Typical Big Box Company
Merchandising Execution Team (Former Employee) –  Langford, BCJune 19, 2016
I worked for home depot for approximately 4 years. They offer benefits to both part-time and full-time employees which is nice. The wage and hours are pretty on par with any other "big box" company.
Pros
They have a lot of free/inexpensive lunch days and celebrate "Cashier Appreciation Month"
Cons
Long hours, seldom enough trained staff and never enough hours to go around for all the staff.
Pleasant atmosphere
Special Services Associate (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ONAugust 25, 2016
Worked in "Special Services" dept, served customers in person and on the phone whose orders were incorrect or unavailable. Phoned customers when their orders arrived, recorded daily sales, expidited items for orders and inventory.
Pros
Staff was amazing
Cons
Company relied too much on computer numbers and not customer service.
Hardware sales associate. (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONAugust 6, 2016
Wonderful place to work. They really care about there associates. The training is very in depth and detailed. All management is very good and fair. They try very hard to get everyone involved in outside activities and I feel that is very good.
Pros
Wonderful place to work everyone is very close.
Cons
Cement floor, dealing with angry customers
very hard working employees
Night Shift Labourer (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NSSeptember 14, 2015
I have learned that the hardest part of the job is dealing with being exhausted and the end of the shift because of the stretch of working backshift. everything else is very good about the company
Pros
great employees to work with and good benifits
Cons
alot of sleep fatgue from working back shift
Fulfilling, challenging environment
Seasonal Sales Associate (Full-time) (Former Employee) –  10885 Leslie St, Richmond Hill, ON L4S 0B2February 28, 2016
Home Depot nurtured employees which were capable of being independent, hard working individuals. In a regular day each associate alongside a few colleagues managed their respective sections, making sure customers are kept happy and that the environment was clean and welcoming. Management and colleagues were very professional and caring people, which led to a great working environment.
Pros
Great working hours
Cons
Seasonal employment
Friendly environment, work as a family
Sales Associate/Flooring Specialist (Current Employee) –  Pickering, ONJanuary 10, 2016
Home Depot is a family oriented business with core values that promote a positive environment and excellent customer service. A typical day at work involves working as a team to seek out and serve customers to be best of our ability.

The management team is always available to provide support, training and acknowledgement of a job well done. We all work together as a team, co-workers as well as management.

The hardest part of the job is following up on your customer needs, as our schedule changes on a daily basis. At The Home Depot, we receive a wealth of knowledge and training on products and D.I.Y.'s. I really enjoy using the knowledge I have gained to ensure that my customer projects are successful.
Pros
Free Training, Free Lunches, Option to sit on various Committees
Cons
Working weekends, Schedule changes daily.
free pizza lunches for working overime
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ONJuly 22, 2016
While working at Home Depot I really enjoyed working with so many people everyday, also I liked the fast pace environment, always something to do. Id have to say one of the hardest part of the job was adjusting to the hours, getting in the routine of waking up at 4am wasn't easy.
Pros
free pizza lunces for working overtime
Cons
no benifits
Fun work Environment
Customer Service Associate (P/T) (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB.Canada.September 11, 2015
Great company to work for. Always lots to learn and good opportunities for advancement.

Highly recommend to anyone wanting to work here.
Pros
Fun work environment
Cons
Not very good benefits