The Home Depot Employee Reviews

Found 1,818 reviews matching the search
Don't work there.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON9 August 2017
The shift times go back several hours each day and you have less sleep each night as you have to get up earlier each morning during your work week. Really bad.
ideal for those wanting part time work
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ON8 August 2017
ideal for those looking part time work, and have no hopes of full time for many, many years. I enjoyed the people i worked with excellent family atmosphere. Education , nor experience, nor drive will help you advance in the Home Depot Structure
Pros
its a job
Cons
advancement structure
Typical work
Kitchen Designer, Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Leaside, ON7 August 2017
Work environment is great until they change management
The hard part is the work schedule, most of the time we dont have enough associate on the floor.
Home Depot
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 August 2017
Home depot is a decent place to work, The other employees are very friendly and has a good job culture. Management is decent and allow people to take time off when requested.
Fun
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 August 2017
Self Management, Time Management, Shrink, How to rally associates but still have a fun and safe work environment, associate performances and reviews..
Ok place to work, pay is awful
Pro Account Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 August 2017
I work in Commercial Sales, typical day includes helping commercial customers (contractors), signing up contractors for commercial credit, selling special order items, etc

honestly I love working here. Very good atmosphere, co-workers were awesome, some are very educated and knowledgeable

Hours were great and flexible

Pay is awful, terrible for what they expect you to do. They want you to sign up contractors and business owners for commercial credit, yet there is no bonus or incentives for doing so and the hourly rate you're getting is awful, barely above minimum wage. They term this a *sales* position but real sales jobs offer an incentive and bonus plan. HD does have a *success sharing* program where if the store makes 100%+ of their goal for 6 months, they bonus all the employees of that store. However, it's one check for an entire 6 month period. It doesn't reflect your true value as an employee, much less commerical sales. This is how HD makes their $. They don't pay, they want all employees to sell and schmooze customers.

Overall work environment is great, it's great for beginners or if you don't really need the $. Great for students. If you have a family and you're reasonably educated you'll probably feel exploited, as you should.
Pros
Great working environment, great benefits
Cons
Extremely low pay; no incentive/bonus for so-called *sales* positions
Great place to work in with the right people.
Merchandising Project Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON5 August 2017
Great place to work in with the right people. Every store has a different story, it's Russian roulette who you will get as your management team. When it comes to making their associates feel appreciated and welcomed, Home Depot does a fantastic job on doing so. They tend to their customers, vendor, and associates need as their top priority. As long as you do your due diligence and portray a top notch customer service. You can reach far heights within the Home Depot company. They strive to harness and enhance those who seeks knowledge to be a better asset for the business.
great place to work at
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON4 August 2017
Wonderful Team. Very useful skills, Lots to learn and do. Great people loved working there. Will use what I have learned in my daily life routines.
Great pay and wonderful smiles
Pros
friendly people very helpful
Cons
Excellent people to work with
Head Cashier (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON4 August 2017
The good the bad and the ugly.

Good: the people you work with are some of the greatest you'll ever meet.
the bad: hours are always random and don't ever work in your favour.
the ugly: managment live and breath the same rhetoric they spew to make you believe its the best job ever...
Home Depot was a rather enjoyable workplace.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK3 August 2017
Getting in contact with the managers was hard, especially when dealing with a rude customer who insists to see the manager. other than that i enjoyed being a cashier at The Home Depot. I would asked to be filled in for the lot associates often, that was probably the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
free bbqs during long weekends
Cons
rude customers
Chilled place
Front End Cashier (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC3 August 2017
Good place and chilled people.
Everyone was nice and it was calm.
There's always free food and celebration for one thing or the other.
A lot of chilling time.
Great company
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Port Coquitlam, BC31 July 2017
Home Depot is a great company to work for and I am proud to have spent the last 11 years working for them. Starting as a cashier and working my way up to assistant store manager has been so rewarding and I am forever grateful for my experiences.
Pros
Management incentive program
Fun place to work
Electrical/ Plumbing Associate (Former Employee) –  Okotoks, AB31 July 2017
I enjoyed working with my customers and educating them on anything that may have needed and how to use a certain product. The staff for the most part worked as a team and would help other associates with customers needs.
Pros
Fun place to work
Cons
Concrete floors.Hard on the knees and back
Fun workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON29 July 2017
Friendly staff
happy clients
pool table and free coffee
i learned how to use a cash register and how to do gift registery for clients.

There was no hard part in this job
Pros
free lucnhes
Cons
Short hours
Excellent
Night Freight Team Associate (Current Employee) –  Shawnessy, AB29 July 2017
Its nice to work here.. its fun its good all the co-workers are kind, helpful, approachable even the management is very nice.. they are all nice here.
it was ok
sales associate (Current Employee) –  London28 July 2017
the people i work with were awesome , management was ok, but overall the whole job experience was pretty good. I would recommend working here for anyone looking for a decent job.
Meet alot of nice people
Tool Rental Associate (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB28 July 2017
Great place to work. Very accomodating to individual needs. Train their people well. Safety is their first priority. Respectful employer, do not discriminate.
Pros
Flexible hours
Work hard, earned a pay check.
Overnight Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, AB27 July 2017
Long hours, some of the best people I ever worked with and built friendships with were fellow co-workers and supervisors. I do have a personal beef that I did not like that I will voice. To save money the management decided to cut costs by removing overnight staff and forced them to sign a contract saying they will get a large wage cut per hour, lose all benefits even though you were a full time employee already receiving them and have your hours cut from full time hours (40 per week) to under 20 hours as a part time worker during the day. They forced several people to sign this contract or were to be fired on the spot. A majority of the staff that had this happen to them quit and never looked back. This has left a very bad taste in my mouth with that company for the bonds and camaraderie of professionalism I built up with staff was a high light of my time spent there. It was sad that this event took place but I do thank the company for allowing me the opportunity to save up money to buy my vehicle that I am currently driving today.
Good learning enviroment for drivers
Overnight Freight Associate (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON26 July 2017
While the associates are great people, the management doesn't seem to care about the associates. "If I fired everyone here I could have 50 new people in here tomorrow."
Pros
Fellow associates are great people.
Cons
Long Hours, Very little flexibility
Skill Development
Full-time Lumber Associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON26 July 2017
The Home Depot allowed me to earn income while I was in the process of competing my undergraduate degree. Allowed me to develop my customer service and time management skills.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Home Depot. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval