The Home Depot Employee Reviews

Found 1,451 reviews matching the search
Good clean workplace
Shipping and Receiving Clerk (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ON12 July 2016
Good benefits, clean place to work.
Growing within the company...
Handling a lot of tasks at once.
Lots to learn.
Great working enviorment
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  North York, ON13 June 2016
Wonderful co-workers and customers. I have learned so much working at home depot and trained in every department and all machines to give customers a great experience at Home depot.
Pros
Great benefits and people
Cons
not enough people working hence why i have to learn all the departments
Average Working Environment
Bookkeeper (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 November 2016
Working at this company has been quite a rewarding experience. I have developed strong customer service skills. Management at The Home Depot is somewhat good, sometimes a lack of communication between associates and management can be the most difficult part of my job because when there is no communication, it creates a stressful work environment.
The most enjoyable part of my job is working with my co-workers. They are quite a helpful bunch of associates. Also, sometimes we would get free lunches. So, it's nice to feel appreciated!
Pros
Free Lunches/profit sharing
Cons
Stressful environment and poor communication between management and associates
Great Workplace, low wage
Lot Associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON6 June 2016
Working there was good. no hassle. Learned a lot about customer service, Co-workers all worked together and were very nice. Hardest part of job was getting to all calls at the same time, most enjoyable part was just being there. its a great environment.
Pros
Discount at Harvey's, Benefits
Cons
Low Wage
Focus on Training Time
Special Services Associate (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC18 October 2016
It often it so busy and understaffed, that proper training was basically impossible. Management expected you to know how to do everything after a month of being on floor. What happens is it is quiet and you are being taught how to do a complex order on the system. However, then many customers come and the trainer finishes the process without you, as you are now paying attention to the customers. Thus, you learn how to start the process, but never finish.

However coworkers were wonderful and more helpful.

Most enjoyable part was the free food on some days and the amount of break time they gave you based off hours. Often understaffed in most departments.
Pros
Free food
Cons
needs dedicated time for actual proper training
good place to work
Part-time Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON12 July 2016
I enjoyed working with the customers,
home-depot is a good place to work, the benefits are awesome, the training is easy and steady
Not bad of a work day if your not in need to pay bills
Sales Associate level 2 (Current Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB28 October 2016
The job itself is not too bad and the manager are not the best but they are good at what they do. Your hours can get cut but they will do what they can to improve them. You sort of get the chance to pick your own wage but has long as you have long experience of working in sales. But they do not increase your wage that much and you get arise once a year, you basically have to relied on profit sharing which I find is a joke for the company to not pay you more money and everyone seems to be convince that it is the best thing but its not which means you have to hit target each day that you are here. Be aware of lot of change when you come to work here.
Pros
Free meals once in a while
Cons
Have to relied on profit sharing a lot to make money
Order picker was a very physical position
Overnight Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB29 June 2016
Worked overnight as an order picker. Thank the stars I did not have to deal with the customers on day shift. They are relentless and treat you like you work at Walmart.

A normal night of picking in the summer will have you picking large deck packages which for me was very physical.
Loading 40-50 2x12" by 16 foot lengths of pressure treated lumber (that was wet most of the time making it heavier) onto a cart by yourself will surely wear you out. And that was only the beginning of the order. Most deck orders have over 100 pcs of lumber.

Everyone was in a bad mood all the time and you could hear them talking smack about the company because management keeps staff to a bare minimum to keep stock prices high for the investors. So, everyone is way overworked.

Left it as soon as I could after trying my best for a month.
Cons
Long hours, very physical, low pay, grouchy workers, overworked
The Company Culture
Department Manager, (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON17 October 2016
The company culture is totally different from before with the seasoned leadership from within. The previous team of leadership applied the principles of core values as the preach. The present team in general who mostly came from the outside, only preaches core value but does not apply it. There is too much politics in the company in general. Most Lead Management in store level as I see and learn from other associates from other stores, observes the impartial and unbalanced treatment of employees. What is clear at present is whom you know than what you know. The practice now in general is that you have to be in the top management's blessing as your best talent. The original culture that respect and value for employees' welfare is non-existence. if you are a highly principled person who is not into work politics, this is not a conducive work environment for you. But if you are a person that loves corporate politics, it is the best pllace for you.
It has completely change since I started with the original ownership..
Pros
A good name to be affiliated as a worker
Cons
You have to find a store that has a principled Store Manager that recognizes skills and talents
review
Cashier/Service Desk (Current Employee) –  Rexdale, ON12 December 2016
Home Depot is an amazing place to work with lots of advancement in position. Management is very good in this store . HR help all its employees and social gatherings
Pros
free lunches
Cons
working all weekends
Not a great place to advance your career rapidly.
Seasonal and Electrical Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Ancaster, ON16 February 2017
Poor overall if you're seeking job security. Not impressed with many managers' willingness to know/learn about products in departments other than their own. Not impressed with the higher up attitude of taking advantage of the worker by not hiring on more full-time workers. Many co-workers and customers felt ripped off and gouged by the company overall and major manufactures of the product lines.
Productive Work place
Cashier/Seasonal Associate (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, AB30 November 2016
While working at Home Depot, I was treated fairly and equally. The hardest part of being a cashier was the repetition but the best part was socializing with customers and making sure they left happy. I found near the end of my career at the Home Depot was that I wasn't given enough hours and enough pay in order to continue working there.
Pros
On holidays we had to work we got fed fun lunches, and I got to work and meet awesome people and gain new retail experience.
Cons
Not enough hours
Nice place to work but money is not enough.
Flooring/Decor Associate (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB5 February 2017
A regular work day consists of opening the store with a morning rally with all staff to get day started. Then we do a daily safety inspection of our areas.The rest of the day is customer service and stocking to keep store neat and organize.

I really enjoy working with the customers and helping build their projects or help them set up someone to come install their projects.

My only con really is the heavy work load in my department and being on your feet all day takes a toll on the back.

Home Depot is a good company to work for and tries to make sure their employees needs are met.
Pros
Great team I work with, never lay off, flexible for days off and special needs.
Cons
Low wages/Heavy labour/Awards are taxed/Rules don't apply for everyone
the home depot
Customer service refund-Sale troubleshooting (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK7 January 2017
over all nice place to work for there is worse place to work for but the management have a tendency to to have they favorite employers who dont get in trouble no mater what they do and the none rfavorite seem to get in trouble no mater what they do
for me i was in the neutral part
but i seen the favorite come in late every day an never got in trouble mean will
i seen a new guy getting a warning up for not punching in after is lunch by 7 min
Very good team inter department relations
Associé aux ventes, spécialiste dép. plomberie (Current Employee) –  St-Henri, Montreal QC18 October 2016
Good working atmosphere with colleagues and management.
On going "Formation" keeps us informed on new technologies.
Management always try to improve well being.
Slow supply line makes it difficult to do your work fully and the lack of local power is difficult for direct management to address problems.
It's a big machine with slow response time.
Pros
Many social and training activities organized for employees
Cons
Slow response time on supply, lack of local management power, schedule limitations and restrictions
Seasonal/Lot Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB21 May 2016
Home Depot is a fantastic place to work. Great company, flexible hours, good benefits, great management and a fun work environment.
Great Company
Head Cashier/Supervisor/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Bradford, ON31 January 2017
Love the company and the job details, the management at the Bradford store needs to be replaced, alot of "favoritism" no accountability for associates. The current management isthereason I am looking elsewhere for employment. The prior management was fantastic. TheHome Depot as a company is great with the exception of the pay, should be higher and based on performance of the individual not a sliding scale.
You get to learn new things
Millworks Specialty Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 January 2017
Working at this job you get to learn a lot of new things about home improvment whether it is in door and windows, or electrical. Coworkers are very good to work with especially when there are a lot of customers and need assistance and help all of them in a timely manner. Managers were very encouraging, even if you werent good at a certain skill. The hardest part of the job was being in steel toe boots for 9 hours a day, it really put a lot of stress on my heels. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to help customers find the best solution for their home improvement needs.
Pros
Helping customers
Cons
Concrete floor, hard on feet
Being equal as one
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB1 February 2017
Home Depot is a really good place to work, you get to learn a bunch of new cool things, you get to meet and talk to great customers and coworkers. Customers get to know you and look forward to see you working and being their cashier. Being a cashier has taught me a lot of how to treat people. You're taking these people money, and they're what pay my paychecks. A lot of times I deal with people after a long day at work or whatever, their daily lives, I'm the last person they see before leaving the store, they could be having a terrible day and they might be rude and careless but at the end of the I will always act professional if a customer is being rude because they might be having a bad day you never want to make that situation worse than it already is, you have to be nice and friendly just because it might brighten up their day, you never know whats going on in their lives. Always put the customers before yourself while on the floor.
Pros
good staff, option of 30 mins or a hour lunch, pretty flexible hour, good staff
Cons
not enough hours in the winter
Fun and challenging work place
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 January 2017
The Home Depot was filled with friendly co-workers who were never shy to give a helping hand. The atmosphere was great with hard working individuals in each department and in management. It was rewarding when you saw a smile pop up on a customers face after you had helped them find what they were looking for. The Home Depot was a great job!
Pros
Friendly atmosphere
Cons
Frustrated customers at times