The Home Depot Employee Reviews in Canada

Found 1,239 reviews matching the search
Production snd Production
Greeter/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 25, 2016
A very dynamic and lively organization. Full of activity, fun and work.
A real fit atmosphere to work as a team member.
Every day meeting new people, Learning new things, Expanding your knowledge base in a very friendly and healthy environment .
Pros
Bonus
Cons
Low annual increment
Ok
Sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 23, 2016
Typical retail, slightly impersonal. Great co-workers who try to help each other. Staffing was not sufficient to provide a high level of customer service.
Pros
Availability of product
Cons
Shifts
Semi alright area for beginners
Lot Associate (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMay 22, 2016
If you really want a first job (not perm) this is probably one of the best jobs you can get, just to get you off your feet and running.
Pros
Part time: More than 30hrs per wk
Cons
Not much time for sleep at all
fun with the supportive Teams
Merchandiser Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMay 22, 2016
-stocking product to shelf so customer can buy their needs, i learned that no matter what customer is always right and you have to value their opinion,the management is good too.very supportive to the employee to the work standard,the team is very supportive o each other,the hardest part of the job is is you have to get up so early to work,i always enjoy with my job
Seasonal/Lot Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMay 21, 2016
Home Depot is a fantastic place to work. Great company, flexible hours, good benefits, great management and a fun work environment.
Great if you would like to learn so new skills. Poor for anything else.
Paint Associate (Former Employee) –  Orleans, ONMay 20, 2016
This is a standard retail job. You can learn a lot about maintaining a home if you get put in the right position. However if you have a close friends and family, are looking to pay the bills without stress of a fluctuating paycheck, or looking for some structure in your life, this isn't the job for you unless you plan to get into management.
Pros
Good staff
Cons
Bad management, poor pay, poor hours, poor hr.
Fun atmosphere, friendly customers
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONMay 19, 2016
Typical day: customer service, refilling low stock, some tasking, setting up display patio furniture, safety spotting heavy machinery

Learned about merchandise (which is always useful since they sell home improvement equipment and necessities) and garden care in the Garden Centre.

Management were supportive and friendly, but there were occasionally communication issues.

Hardest part of the job: there is a lot to know about a lot of merchandise, (in any department), heavy lifting.

Most enjoyable part of the job: friendly co-workers, helping customers and solving problems.
Pros
Some free lunches, management awards good work, happy atmosphere
Cons
Not many tasks during off-peak hours, hours can go late (11 pm), hectic during peak hours
Happy to have had the experience
Lethbridge, Alberta - Rental Sales Associate II (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, ABMay 18, 2016
Not every day was golden, but every now and then, it can amaze me, from my time on the safety committee, the events, the 'Home Depot Olympics", good hours and lots of friends. Do not regret it.
Pros
good culture
Cons
had to deal with lots of gossip at my store :(
Wouldn't work here again
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 18, 2016
They value customers more than customer service, and expect you to just take customers' verbal abuse and say nothing. They will take the word of a customer over the word of an employee. Lying and backstabbing are very common. Trust nobody at Home Depot.
good
Analytic Business Analyst (Intern) (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 17, 2016
good, the company is a good place to work and friendly people. I would like to continue working there. The work time is good. Family life balance is good.
good
There is a great emphasis on "teamwork" and an understanding of the company policies and procedures
Customer Service Associate, and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Spruce Grove, ABMay 17, 2016
I enjoyed the fact that when I did begin my employment with Home Depot, there was a great amount of training to advance my skills and make me more knowledgeable of my position. There was a lot of support from co-workers and Management
Pros
Training, free lunches and inservices
Cons
customer service desk was at times "stressful", as unlike cashier who simply runs purchases through till, Customer Service basically deals with returns and unhappy customers
Fair
Paint Associate (Former Employee) –  Edson, ABMay 16, 2016
Always something to do, be it stocking shelves or tending to costumers. The fellow staff were bitter and cold but a few were nice to work with. The management was bias and a bit unorganized but over all a fun job.
Pros
Experience
Cons
Staff
Head Cashier (Current Employee) –  BCMay 15, 2016
this is a great place to start off in when you're just entering or exiting the full time workforce. its easy to move up within the company
Fast-past working environment
Seasonal Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Caledonia, ONMay 13, 2016
A typical day at Home Depot would include customer service, development of product knowledge, ensure floor is filled with merchandise, and communicated with managers for additional tasks.
Pros
Great coworkers and management
Cons
Low pay rate
good place to work
Staffing Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ONMay 10, 2016
The Home Depot takes care of their people, and do their best to follow and act out the company's values.
they have some good incentives to stay fit and active, my experience so far with them has been enjoyable.
Friendly
MET (Former Employee) –  Regina, SKMay 10, 2016
Small team with lots of experience and enthusiasm.
Very good learning experience and friendly work environment.
Problem solving and counting inventory was the best part.
Pros
Long break time
Horrible management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton SouthMay 10, 2016
Management was horrible, lacks any chance of advancement. Pay was horrible, minimum wage for cashiers, and what is even more disappointing is each year you get about a 30 cent raise, and when minimum wage went up they raised my pay to minimum wage but didn't add any of my previous raises to it. Then they hire new cashiers making 1.50 more than me per hour after I've been there for 3 years, asked 3 different managers including assistant manager to let me learn a department other than cash ( all departments make more than cashiers) and they gave me many empty promises. they would not work with you school schedule and you are required at least 4 of 7 days availability that includes weekends. They fire you fi you can't meet that and get other associates to work your shifts. They also stuck me with greeting (which is standing in one spot handing out flyers for 4-9 hours) I greeted for 18-22 hours every single week for 4 months it was horrible.I hated working there so glad I quit, and I hope the depot goes down.
Pros
Cons
horrible management, lack of career advancement
Everyone is friendly and willing to help to get the job done
MET Associate (Current Employee) –  White Rock, BCMay 8, 2016
Typically I start an hour before customers show up and get started on tacks management deems necessary followed by cleaning the aisles and bay to make the store presentable. Currently I am being trained in the process of electrical wire handling and the installation and disassembly of all electrical parts and products for displays.

Management on my team consists of a Manager in charge of a district. My Manager will come by to assess productivity 2-3 times a week, otherwise the Supervisor is in-charge of everything. She handles all complaints and opinions.

Everyone on the team has similar responsibilities with different abilities. Two members are in charge of re-pricing the entire store throughout the week. The other five members are required to service each bay according to store requirements for that particular week. Two members (including myself) are tasked with display productivity, connectivity, reporting any abnormalities, ordering new products, communicating with store associates for assistance where needed.

The hardest part of this job is having enough energy to not burn-out early to get all the work done in a timely manner. To make sure each bay is clean of debris, each aisle is overall presentable, and to be able to drop everything the second the Supervisor re-tasks you to something more important.

You have to deal with customers, associates and management, while getting your work done. The best part about this job? There's never a dull moment. As long as you take your breaks on time, ignore the background noise, and focus on completing the task at hand,
  more... you will have fun, and make some great friends here you can trust.  less
Pros
Great company, the occasional free lunch
Cons
fast paced, never a dull moment, not worth it as a part time associate
Good for Management, that's about it.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BCMay 5, 2016
My time at Home Depot was an insight into what Managment is suppose to do, and thats not because of excellent work. There was more concern over corporate politics and favouritism then anything else, leaving people at the bottom of the chain either paranoid of making mistakes or so safeguarded by their higher ups that they could do next to nothing for eight hours with no consequence.The only upside is benifits are good for an entry level job. No matter what your work ethic or customer service skill though, Home Depot will make you feel like just another disposible cog in the machine.
Productive and fun
Sales Associate - Part-time (Current Employee) –  Regina, SKMay 4, 2016
Home depot demands high energy, evolving knowledge, on the job training and knowing the products and services. I learned a lot about home renovations and can now advise on some common projects with much ease. Awesome management that gives respect and lots of energy that trickles down to the team and keeps everyone motivated. Hardest part of the job is long hours while on any given day you can enjoy self-satisfaction.
Pros
fun place to work
Cons
outlets never close