The Home Depot Employee Reviews

Found 1,364 reviews matching the search
Great work environment
Lot Associate (Current Employee) –  Woodbridge, ON23 March 2016
Great company. good benefits, great co workers, fun managers, understanding management, steady, okay hours, all types of customers
Friendly work environment with good management
Lot Associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON4 April 2016
Home Depot is an excellent company to begin one's career, as the management is helpful, understanding and help you learn the various skills you'll need in a retail field.
Pros
Flexible schedule, good pay and end of year christmas party
Cons
Long hours, low chance of getting weekends off
Proactive and fun workplace managers are great. Customers can
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 September 2016
The Home Depot is a good place to work for the right person, you have to be patient with the customers and very tolerant. It is a great place to learn about construction or whichever department you are placed in. There is ample room for advancement in the company and your co-workers do well to reward hard work.
Pros
Company meetings and functions are a blast
Cons
Customers are usually very rude, especially to new hires whilst they are still learning.
All about Customer Service
Service Desk Associate (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON29 September 2016
Throughout the day I will answer customer calls, perform customer returns, help and fix customer issues with orders and installs. I have learned a lot about the type of customer service that The Home Depot abides by. No matter the cost or if the customer is seriously in the wrong just do whatever makes them happy to leave the store.
Pros
Contests, success sharing
Cons
Long hours, rude customers
A lot of nice people but not a great place to work
Cashier (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL18 January 2016
Made a few good friends. But employment wise, the salary is terrible and expectations high for the money paid.. No full time positions. Benefits are not all that great. It seems in my experience, there is not a whole lot of support for associates from management.
Pros
Great people
Cons
No full time positions. Pay isn't great. not so great benefits
Great company depending on the management team per location
Operations (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS24 August 2016
Great company depending on the management team per location.
Could be the best or worst of working environments. Way too much freedom of management types left unchallenged from outside of each location. The concept of the Home Depot culture is great and if followed was a wonderful work environment.
Pros
Excellent culture and great employees.
Cons
Managemnt styles
Okay as part time employement while in school
Sales Associate (Seasonal) (Current Employee) –  Ontario14 April 2016
Home Depot isn't for everyone. After being an associate for 5 years at the same store this is how I feel...

No flexibility in availability- you have to basically be full flex weekdays and weekends. Your schedule will be all over the place from 6am-11pm.

Pay isn't enough for what you do. I can say being there for 5 years and I barely make more than new associates coming in which isn't right as a full time employee.

Management varies - you'll have some good ones and some bad ones.

There isn't much appreciation for the hard work we put in every single day.

It's always lots of hard work but very little pay

Pros
The people working there, success sharing
Cons
Safety shoes, 9hr shifts, low pay, schedule
Productive workplace, but no room/opportunity for promotion or advancement in my hours
Lot Associate (Former Employee) –  Owen Sound, ON14 July 2016
Overall my experience was good, but I did not see any room to expand in their ranks, and I was not receiving the hours I needed. My co-workers were overall very personable and friendly, I got along well with everyone. However, there were some that I felt did not pull their weight. The most enjoyable part of my job was when I was able to help someone find what they needed and leave our store happy.
Pros
Freindily staff, I often felt like I always find a job that needed to be done.
Cons
There was no oppertonity for advancement in pay or hours
Strong culture and great core values
Sales Associate/management trainee (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON29 October 2015
Home Depot is a largest and most successful home improvement company in world for good reasons. Emphasis is always placed on the customers and the Home Depot associate take pride in providing great customer service. There is allot of room to grow your career at the Home Depot, and both part time and full time associate receive numerous employment benefits. The home Depot is an all round round great company and it provides associate with a great work experience everyday.
Pros
Great people and Culture
Cons
Very demanding, Stressfull
Bon pour les étudiants et personne sans jeunes enfants
Commis de plancher (Current Employee) –  Saint-Constant, QC27 September 2016
C'est un peu avec tristesse que je veux me réorienter après 12 ans dans le même milieu de travail. La compagnie prend des décisions parfois et impose des changements au horaire qui ne convient pas à tous. C'est la seule raison qui me pousse à chercher ailleurs j'ai beaucoup appris chez home depot . Une belle culture de vente, des collègues hors pair c'est comme une famille. J'ai toucher à plusieurs départements, je sortirais de la avec un beau bagage de connaissance. Parfois un peu demandant physiquement et pas toujours l'aide souhaiter quand le besoin y est mais je crois que c'est la réalité de tous les commerces au détails.
Pros
Ambiance
Cons
Souvent seule difficultés à fournir du bon service
Great people, great experience, excellent benefits.
Various Positions (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 June 2016
I enjoyed day to day work, of course responsibilities differ from department to department. Management was very easy to get along with. Co-workers were the most diverse I've experienced, opportunities for literally anyone, cultural and ethnic diversity is frequently celebrated, LGBT diversity and acceptance is celebrated, even physical diversity is encouraged, three of my co-workers are handicapped, and even two were in wheelchairs. The hardest part of the job regrettably was that it was still a strict corporate environment, with little to no tolerance in attendance issues. The most enjoyable part was definitely the people i got to meet and interact with.
Productive and fun
Sales Associate - Part-time (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK4 May 2016
Home depot demands high energy, evolving knowledge, on the job training and knowing the products and services. I learned a lot about home renovations and can now advise on some common projects with much ease. Awesome management that gives respect and lots of energy that trickles down to the team and keeps everyone motivated. Hardest part of the job is long hours while on any given day you can enjoy self-satisfaction.
Pros
fun place to work
Cons
outlets never close
good for long term goals
Front End Associate (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON15 August 2016
The home depot- Front end Associate position is a long hours and tiring position.
there is no job security.
More of the political environment.
Not what was promised.
Contractor Services,Estimator (Former Employee) –  Sydney, NS17 March 2016
Full time hours,no benefits.Have you work full time and keep you on the books as part time so they do not have to give you benefits!~
Homedepot Review
Freight (Overnight) Associate (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON3 March 2016
Great work experience and terrific staff but the consistency in the hours were not accurate. I would be all over the place with scheduled hours.
Pros
benifits
Cons
random scedual
Productive ,friendly and excellent associate relationahip
Inventory management associate (IMA) (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON2 October 2016
In 2013 I have made the best choice when I chose working there. Management treat their associate with respect and always have a passion to help motivate and elevate . We are big and customer services,we are always rewarded wen we go above and beyond . The working atmosphere is one to die for
Loved the people
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON31 October 2016
I loved working there, the people were great. The management was good but we didn't have a store manager for a while. The money was not bad, but i left and then came back the next summer and they tired to lower my pay. I got the hours i wanted and i had opportunities to move up.
Pros
hours
Cons
money
It's okay but....
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 October 2016
At first it nice to work here. Helping customer is fun but in the long run too much politics and back stabbing.. if they want to get rid of you they will give a hard time so that you will quit and denied all your schedule request.
Pros
Good co worker
Cons
Management and some ASM
We always had fun events for our Colleagues and family
Assistant Manager/Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON30 November 2016
As a Store Manager my day was always always exciting and unpredictable.Loved getting to know the customers and taking care of them. Loved hiring new colleagues and developing them. We always had great moral and worked as a team. No Union. As long as we were making our #'s we were left alone to make our own decisions.
Hardest part is letting some one go when you hired them.
Best part was getting to know the customer and colleagues and the freedom to be as creative as I wanted to be.
Pros
Colleagues events, Free lunches
Good overall company but poorly managed at my location
Department Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 August 2016
On the whole the company was pretty good to work for but the management in place at my location was shady at best and at times, they were unethical. I enjoyed most facets of the job, but given the poorly utilized resources, unstable work conditions and unclear expectations, it became clear to both parties that I would be better suited elsewhere.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
poor management