The Home Depot Employee Reviews

Found 1,417 reviews matching the search
Productive and fun place to work.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, AB26 August 2016
A very nice and friendly co - workers. Providing good hours and free treat with co - workers. Intelligent easy job and very accurate job. I've learned to be accurate in things and be specific. The hardest part of this job is only when you encountered a problem with your friendly customer. The most enjoyable of this job is being around with friendly people, providing and supporting me for giving me a good hours and encourage me to keep on some of my talents.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Good overall company but poorly managed at my location
Department Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 August 2016
On the whole the company was pretty good to work for but the management in place at my location was shady at best and at times, they were unethical. I enjoyed most facets of the job, but given the poorly utilized resources, unstable work conditions and unclear expectations, it became clear to both parties that I would be better suited elsewhere.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
poor management
Okay workplace with poor management
Paint/Lot Associate (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, ON15 October 2016
The Home Depot is overall a good company. They offer various benefits not only for full-time employees but also part-time employees. These include health and dental, tuition reimbursement, and more.
Management depends on location. I was at the Woodbridge, ON location and management was deplorable. There were one or two that employees approved of and the rest were arrogant, excessively bossy, rude to employees, and overall not at all understanding that things happen that affect one's efficiency.
There were instances where a customer made a false accusation toward me (such as being rude) and the manager wouldn't even hear my side of things. I got yelled at in front of customers for something that wasn't even my fault, reprimanded wrongfully, and more.
Pros
Tuition reimbursement for students, benefits, breaks
Cons
Management, long hours, inconsistent schedules
Great opportunity to work at
Customer Service/cashiers (Current Employee) –  1983 Kipling avenue1 November 2016
Great opportunity to work at
Great opportunity to learn
about what the company can offer
Good benefits and values
More career opportunity
Busy work place
Company took care of their people
Respect others
None races
Pros
Profit sharing, salary increase after reviews
Cons
Minimal hours
Fun, clean, safe, has kids workshop the first Saturday of every month
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton alberta8 January 2017
I worked in 3 diffrent departments for my time there and all the departments i was in are easy to learn people there are kind and outgoing.
Pros
Flexable and able to book off days
Cons
Sometimes hard to get good hours and hours in general
2 out of 5
Front End Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Saanich, BC23 November 2016
After 17 years of service i was treated very poorly upon leaving. The management is disrespectful and narrow minded. It was a nice place to work while raising my family but it was uncomfortable to work in an atmosphere that doesn't foster growth of an individual.
Pros
friendly staff
Cons
compensation
good place to work
Flooring/Décor/Kitchen and Bath Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB12 December 2016
I've earned a lot about the construction process while working at the Home Depot. There are so many knowledgeable employees to teach you exactly what is needed to complete a project so you're able to pass that knowledge on to customers.
Pros
food fridays
Great company depending on the management team per location
Operations (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS24 August 2016
Great company depending on the management team per location.
Could be the best or worst of working environments. Way too much freedom of management types left unchallenged from outside of each location. The concept of the Home Depot culture is great and if followed was a wonderful work environment.
Pros
Excellent culture and great employees.
Cons
Managemnt styles
Good job, with some exceptions
Lumber Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 December 2016
Generally a good place with reasonable people (both customers and fellow employees) but your entire day can be easily ruined by some jerk that has nothing better to do then make your day miserable.
Pros
Flexible schedules, Job security
Cons
Unreliable hours, Rude customers
kitchen designer
Kitchen design and flooring specialist (Former Employee) –  Sault-Sainte-Marie, ON10 November 2016
designed kitchens and baths, Also specialized in flooring and installs, in-store blinds and special order. Daily customer service . Team work and organizing product within the store
Pros
always meeting new people and helping out with customers projects
Cons
shift work
Great part-time job, could have used more employee training though
Specialty Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON26 September 2016
I was a part-time sales associate at Home Depot for 5 years and while every job has it's ups and downs, for the most part, I enjoyed my position. Great culture and friendly colleagues. The only downfall was that getting a promotion or raise was often very difficult and recognition for going above and beyond was almost always unheard of. I was trained in 4 different departments as well as forklift certified and I never received a raise for my added skill set. I also wish there was more product training as often if asked about the quality of one product over another, we were unable to give customers a definitive answer.
Pros
Profit sharing, volunteer opportunities and community involvement. Opportunities to work in different departments
Cons
Little to no product training, little room for promotions and lack of raises.
Gained experience managing 4 departments
Departments Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 January 2017
At this time I prefer to not comment on Home Depot and will come back at a later date to do so. I have experience in supervising various departments such as Electrical, Flooring, Decor/ Blinds and Paint.
Pros
excellent staff and clientale
Cons
Shift work
Fun place to work, but severly cutting working hours during slack season like winter.
Cashier II (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC14 December 2016
Typical day of work is fun. Co-workers were nice. I learned how to handle a difficult customer. Management sometimes were demanding.
Pros
Great benefits for part-timers
Cons
During winter, shift schedule is very minimal
Fun experience with different customers
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 November 2016
Listening to customers' needs and trying to satisfy their needs by getting them what they were looking for or probing them further and getting them something very close to what they had in their minds
Pros
Handy man experience
Cons
No humanity at all
Productive workplace
Lumber associate (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON11 January 2017
A typical workday of a lumber associate at Home Depot includes flattening lumber, helping customers figure out what products they need for their project and their locations, measure and cut lumber and plywood, receiving orders and cleaning up the workspace.
Its fun to work at home depot
Cashier - Part Time (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 November 2016
lots of different activities they have for employees.
they arrange potluck for employees
they provide different trainings to employees
they provide all safty eqipments to employee
Pros
small intervals they arrange potluck & get food from different restaurents
Nice job culture
Merchandise Execution Team Member (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB17 January 2017
Enjoyed working at the Home Depot, greeting customers, learning about the different type of products in the store, some days will be hectic with customers but that is how working retail is. I enjoyed it.
Pros
Friendly work place
Cons
Gets boring sometimes
Decent place to work but some miscommunication between managers causes confusion on a daily basis
Order Picker (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB11 August 2016
Typical day at work is usually fairly busy. You learn to prioritize your time according to your daily tasks that are given. The hardest part of the job is the general lack of communication between departments and the manager. For the most part it is a good place to work, especially if you are seeking part time employment .
Loved the people
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON31 October 2016
I loved working there, the people were great. The management was good but we didn't have a store manager for a while. The money was not bad, but i left and then came back the next summer and they tired to lower my pay. I got the hours i wanted and i had opportunities to move up.
Pros
hours
Cons
money
boring place to work
appliance sales (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 January 2017
don't waste your time working at The home depot, management will yell at you, difficult to get more than 4 hours/week, co-workers were nice but nearly everyone I worked with hated their job. They have the highest turnover rate I've ever seen.
Pros
not much
Cons
4 hrs per week