The Home Depot Employee Reviews in Canada

Found 1,268 reviews matching the search
Okay as part time employement while in school
Sales Associate (Seasonal) (Current Employee) –  OntarioApril 14, 2016
Home Depot isn't for everyone. After being an associate for 5 years at the same store this is how I feel...

No flexibility in availability- you have to basically be full flex weekdays and weekends. Your schedule will be all over the place from 6am-11pm.

Pay isn't enough for what you do. I can say being there for 5 years and I barely make more than new associates coming in which isn't right as a full time employee.

Management varies - you'll have some good ones and some bad ones.

There isn't much appreciation for the hard work we put in every single day.

It's always lots of hard work but very little pay

Pros
The people working there, success sharing
Cons
Safety shoes, 9hr shifts, low pay, schedule
Good for Management, that's about it.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BCMay 5, 2016
My time at Home Depot was an insight into what Managment is suppose to do, and thats not because of excellent work. There was more concern over corporate politics and favouritism then anything else, leaving people at the bottom of the chain either paranoid of making mistakes or so safeguarded by their higher ups that they could do next to nothing for eight hours with no consequence.The only upside is benifits are good for an entry level job. No matter what your work ethic or customer service skill though, Home Depot will make you feel like just another disposible cog in the machine.
great place to work
Full time Flooring and decor sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford, BCApril 16, 2016
never a dull day helping customers all day is very satisfying working to find the perfect flooring solution for your customers.
I have learned time management, fork lift skills, first aid and great sales skills .
management are great they support your job development and growth as a person and an associate.
my coworkers are the greatest group of people I've ever worked with
supportive and driven.
the hardest part of my job is when you see a person leave with the wrong product and wont change to a suitable one.
seeing the final project completed a lot of my customers come back to show me the final project.
Pros
training and long term
Horrible management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton SouthMay 10, 2016
Management was horrible, lacks any chance of advancement. Pay was horrible, minimum wage for cashiers, and what is even more disappointing is each year you get about a 30 cent raise, and when minimum wage went up they raised my pay to minimum wage but didn't add any of my previous raises to it. Then they hire new cashiers making 1.50 more than me per hour after I've been there for 3 years, asked 3 different managers including assistant manager to let me learn a department other than cash ( all departments make more than cashiers) and they gave me many empty promises. they would not work with you school schedule and you are required at least 4 of 7 days availability that includes weekends. They fire you fi you can't meet that and get other associates to work your shifts. They also stuck me with greeting (which is standing in one spot handing out flyers for 4-9 hours) I greeted for 18-22 hours every single week for 4 months it was horrible.I hated working there so glad I quit, and I hope the depot goes down.
Pros
Cons
horrible management, lack of career advancement
The most enjoyable parts of working in Home Depot
Head Cashier/HR Assistant (Current Employee) –  Calgary ABAugust 31, 2015
It comes in 3 parts for me:

Learning: there is always room and opportunity for anyone who wants to learn and develop him/herself. The growth opportunity abound and is accessible.

Co-workers: these includes management. The friendship, warmth, support is very outstanding to say the least. And this has made the little politics and red tapes that may exist to be somewhat intangible.

Free food: The HR manager and the social committee are awesome. There is almost always something to eat or nibble on during breaks and lunch times.

All of these have made working in my organization easy and fun.
Pros
free lunches, safety measures always
Cons
none yet
always had a great time there
The Home Depot (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONMarch 24, 2016
Great staff, always helpful and fun to work there, if you had an questions they were always there to help you. the management there is always on there tasks and takes care of everyone.
Pros
great staff
Cons
not everyone there knows what they are doing
Decent job
Lumber/Seasonal (Current Employee) –  Spruce Grove, ABJune 2, 2016
Good team effort among the associates although it is poorly managed. The assistant managers tell you what to do and expect it done without considering what else lies ahead of you. After finishing the task, another supervisor or assistant manager will tell you they want it differently resulting in a very little efficient working environment. The employees are either good or bad to work with. You very seldom deal with a bad customer, but when you do it isn't fun.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
Working with some individuals who aren't the easiest to work with.
awesome place to work and the people are even better
Flooring associate (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONMarch 7, 2016
this is by far my favourite place i have worked in my entire job career the employees are awesome made some great friends there that i will keep for ever when ever i go back to buy something its like i never left and everyone makes me feel like its my second home
There is a great emphasis on "teamwork" and an understanding of the company policies and procedures
Customer Service Associate, and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Spruce Grove, ABMay 17, 2016
I enjoyed the fact that when I did begin my employment with Home Depot, there was a great amount of training to advance my skills and make me more knowledgeable of my position. There was a lot of support from co-workers and Management
Pros
Training, free lunches and inservices
Cons
customer service desk was at times "stressful", as unlike cashier who simply runs purchases through till, Customer Service basically deals with returns and unhappy customers
Not bad
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONJanuary 6, 2016
Good place to start your career.
Learn alot about products.
Learn to manage the department
Learn more about b2b sales.
Management isnt always the best
Part time work but with benefits
CASHIER (Current Employee) –  Milton, ONMarch 15, 2016
Good place to start entry level job and gain experience. Accepts diversity in culture and has good training for employees.
Its a productive and fun place to work we have access to wiffi, internet, computers anytime we on lunch, breaks etc
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONJuly 13, 2016
I love working at the Home depot. We get profit sharing and safety questionaires to updated us alway
Pros
We have lots of priveledges to cross trained in any department, we have choices of 60 mins or 30 mins lunches, bbq and christmas parties every year, paid meeting etc.
Cons
Not able to get hired full time, its mostly partime positions, hardly any fulltime positions available.
Great team environment
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  St. Albert, ABMay 27, 2016
Very physical & customer service driven. No two days are the same. Currently I supervise & work beside my team doing returns, signing out orders, handling deliveries and install queries. I have learned that working in a retail environment can be very satisfying & always interesting. Excellent support from co-workers & management. The physicality of the job is taking it's tole. Our customers are great & working with them to complete their projects is the best part of the job.
Pros
Working with customers
Cons
Long hours/shift work
What I liked as disliked about the job.
Lot Associate (Former Employee) –  London, ONApril 19, 2016
I would get the lot prepared before the power hours in order to ensure that I was ready to start the day. Follow up with Management on the Safety Check List to ensure that everything was safe before the start of the day. When power hours came I would wait totally on customers. Help them load their cars and help them put a flag on their materials to ensure everything was up to code before departure. I would say most of the time Management was great but there would be days where I felt bullied completely because our store as a team was not doing enough to make the day. That was frustrating. I would say the hardest thing about working the lot is the there are too many bosses wanting different tasks out of you. There are 4 head cash associates, 1 front end manager as well as a special services manager. So too many orders being enforced all at once. I would say the most enjoyable thing about the job was we had alot of lunches which were catered in from management at special times of the year.
Pros
The Benefits
Cons
Too Many Managers running the front end.
Friendly place to work, very accommodating management, great support.
Cashier/ Customer Service Rep/ Returns - Part-Time (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJuly 28, 2016
A typical day involved providing excellent customer service, and making sure the clients needs were met or exceeded. Management was very supportive with answering questions and resolving problems. The staff and coworkers always worked together as a team.
Most enjoyable was the interaction with clients and staff alike.
Pros
Flexibility of the job. Benefits for part-time workers.
Fun place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, ONMarch 12, 2016
If your a person that likes to learn new things and have a positive attitude it is an enjoyable place to work. Management from all departments worked well with most employees which was good to see.
Pros
Learning new things
Cons
you wil get tired of eating subway
Productive and positive workplace
Front End Sales and Paint Associate (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONJune 7, 2016
Learn a lot of everyday necessities. Gain experience handling customer problems. My job responsibilities include building relationships with customers and contractors to ensure a great customer experience and both win-win situation for the company and the customer. I have been in many difficult situations where I have to figure out solutions to different problems independently, not stopping until some resolution has been made.
Best Job Security and Confidence in employment.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ONMarch 9, 2016
This job is great for having exceptional work environment and enjoyable employees while still being able to exert professionalism and extreme care for their employees. Hours could be better.
Pros
Job Security
Cons
Infrequent hours
Orange life behind the apron
Project Support Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ONJune 22, 2016
Exceedingly high call volume, difficult to catch one's breath between calls. The stress related to some poor project planning has added to an already challenging role. If it were not for great co-workers and a supportive supervisory team, the churn would be much higher. The hardest part of the job is knowing that many of the challenges could be avoided with a better better proactive approach. The best part of the job, is the end of one's shift.
Coworkers are fun to work with, managment was a joke
freight associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 29, 2015
My fellow employees where a blast to with, the management had a higher turn over of the company. There was too much people aiming to get other people fired just to advance there position even if the people getting fired where more experienced and doing an excellent job.

The pay for the kind of work i was doing was very imbalanced. i was getting higher pay wage than other retail stores but way less than other warehouse company's.