The Home Depot Employee Reviews

Found 1,292 reviews matching the search
Friendly place to work, very accommodating management, great support.
Cashier/ Customer Service Rep/ Returns - Part-Time (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJuly 28, 2016
A typical day involved providing excellent customer service, and making sure the clients needs were met or exceeded. Management was very supportive with answering questions and resolving problems. The staff and coworkers always worked together as a team.
Most enjoyable was the interaction with clients and staff alike.
Pros
Flexibility of the job. Benefits for part-time workers.
Decent job
Lumber/Seasonal (Current Employee) –  Spruce Grove, ABJune 2, 2016
Good team effort among the associates although it is poorly managed. The assistant managers tell you what to do and expect it done without considering what else lies ahead of you. After finishing the task, another supervisor or assistant manager will tell you they want it differently resulting in a very little efficient working environment. The employees are either good or bad to work with. You very seldom deal with a bad customer, but when you do it isn't fun.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
Working with some individuals who aren't the easiest to work with.
Decent work environment
Customer Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  Orleans, ONApril 2, 2016
Management was a bit of a letdown. They were really nice people outside of work, but when it came to working they were rude 90% of the time, and when they weren't being rude to you. They were sitting in the back room talking and not doing anything worth while.

The co-workers however were pretty nice, all of them.
Great Enviroment
Delivery Associate (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONMarch 8, 2016
This was my very first job working in for a company in Canada and that experiences allowed me to integrate and understand more about the Canadian workplace culture. Realizing and understanding more about the adaption and integration into the Canadian workforce.
Pros
Equality and Integrity
Cons
Not full time positions.
Good for Management, that's about it.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BCMay 5, 2016
My time at Home Depot was an insight into what Managment is suppose to do, and thats not because of excellent work. There was more concern over corporate politics and favouritism then anything else, leaving people at the bottom of the chain either paranoid of making mistakes or so safeguarded by their higher ups that they could do next to nothing for eight hours with no consequence.The only upside is benifits are good for an entry level job. No matter what your work ethic or customer service skill though, Home Depot will make you feel like just another disposible cog in the machine.
Okay as part time employement while in school
Sales Associate (Seasonal) (Current Employee) –  OntarioApril 14, 2016
Home Depot isn't for everyone. After being an associate for 5 years at the same store this is how I feel...

No flexibility in availability- you have to basically be full flex weekdays and weekends. Your schedule will be all over the place from 6am-11pm.

Pay isn't enough for what you do. I can say being there for 5 years and I barely make more than new associates coming in which isn't right as a full time employee.

Management varies - you'll have some good ones and some bad ones.

There isn't much appreciation for the hard work we put in every single day.

It's always lots of hard work but very little pay

Pros
The people working there, success sharing
Cons
Safety shoes, 9hr shifts, low pay, schedule
Horrible management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton SouthMay 10, 2016
Management was horrible, lacks any chance of advancement. Pay was horrible, minimum wage for cashiers, and what is even more disappointing is each year you get about a 30 cent raise, and when minimum wage went up they raised my pay to minimum wage but didn't add any of my previous raises to it. Then they hire new cashiers making 1.50 more than me per hour after I've been there for 3 years, asked 3 different managers including assistant manager to let me learn a department other than cash ( all departments make more than cashiers) and they gave me many empty promises. they would not work with you school schedule and you are required at least 4 of 7 days availability that includes weekends. They fire you fi you can't meet that and get other associates to work your shifts. They also stuck me with greeting (which is standing in one spot handing out flyers for 4-9 hours) I greeted for 18-22 hours every single week for 4 months it was horrible.I hated working there so glad I quit, and I hope the depot goes down.
Pros
Cons
horrible management, lack of career advancement
The worst place to work
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Regina Sk North StoreSeptember 3, 2015
I worked for the North Store for some time. You may experience friendliness and appreciation for the first three months but that's about it. This store as many of us referred to as the "mans club". Management will throw you under the bus if given the opportunity. They say family is important but don't let something come up on the day your scheduled at work. The conditions on the floor are very hostile. There is no room for advancement unless they "like" you. Persons l worked with wanted to learn different departments and were turned down not because of their skills but by popularity, if the department supervisor didn't like you, they would bury your application. Your considered expendable. Good luck if you decide to apply for this position.
Pros
Homer awards for the first three months.
Cons
Wage increase .10/hr. Backstabbing. No teamwork. Schedule flip flopping.
great place to work
Full time Flooring and decor sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford, BCApril 16, 2016
never a dull day helping customers all day is very satisfying working to find the perfect flooring solution for your customers.
I have learned time management, fork lift skills, first aid and great sales skills .
management are great they support your job development and growth as a person and an associate.
my coworkers are the greatest group of people I've ever worked with
supportive and driven.
the hardest part of my job is when you see a person leave with the wrong product and wont change to a suitable one.
seeing the final project completed a lot of my customers come back to show me the final project.
Pros
training and long term
Cons
There is a great emphasis on "teamwork" and an understanding of the company policies and procedures
Customer Service Associate, and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Spruce Grove, ABMay 17, 2016
I enjoyed the fact that when I did begin my employment with Home Depot, there was a great amount of training to advance my skills and make me more knowledgeable of my position. There was a lot of support from co-workers and Management
Pros
Training, free lunches and inservices
Cons
customer service desk was at times "stressful", as unlike cashier who simply runs purchases through till, Customer Service basically deals with returns and unhappy customers
Home Depot Merchandising Execution Team Associate
Merchandising Execution Team Associate (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONOctober 3, 2015
Working for the Home Depot in general was not bad - the associates within the store are mostly friendly and accepting. It is extremely difficult to advance in any manner - promotion is based solely on the single interview and not on what you have actually accomplished during your time in the company. Human Resources does not help when there are issues, and there is very little accountability for actions.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Low pay, no chance for moving higher in the company
Good overall company but poorly managed at my location
Department Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 27, 2016
On the whole the company was pretty good to work for but the management in place at my location was shady at best and at times, they were unethical. I enjoyed most facets of the job, but given the poorly utilized resources, unstable work conditions and unclear expectations, it became clear to both parties that I would be better suited elsewhere.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
poor management
Great team environment
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  St. Albert, ABMay 27, 2016
Very physical & customer service driven. No two days are the same. Currently I supervise & work beside my team doing returns, signing out orders, handling deliveries and install queries. I have learned that working in a retail environment can be very satisfying & always interesting. Excellent support from co-workers & management. The physicality of the job is taking it's tole. Our customers are great & working with them to complete their projects is the best part of the job.
Pros
Working with customers
Cons
Long hours/shift work
Orange life behind the apron
Project Support Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ONJune 22, 2016
Exceedingly high call volume, difficult to catch one's breath between calls. The stress related to some poor project planning has added to an already challenging role. If it were not for great co-workers and a supportive supervisory team, the churn would be much higher. The hardest part of the job is knowing that many of the challenges could be avoided with a better better proactive approach. The best part of the job, is the end of one's shift.
always had a great time there
The Home Depot (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONMarch 24, 2016
Great staff, always helpful and fun to work there, if you had an questions they were always there to help you. the management there is always on there tasks and takes care of everyone.
Pros
great staff
Cons
not everyone there knows what they are doing
Productive and positive workplace
Front End Sales and Paint Associate (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONJune 7, 2016
Learn a lot of everyday necessities. Gain experience handling customer problems. My job responsibilities include building relationships with customers and contractors to ensure a great customer experience and both win-win situation for the company and the customer. I have been in many difficult situations where I have to figure out solutions to different problems independently, not stopping until some resolution has been made.
Fun yet difficult work.
Paint Department Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABNovember 20, 2015
Working at The Home Depot was an experience I will treasure for the rest of my life. A typical day started depending on what hour you arrived at work, for starting shifts you would have to check and clean the paint machines and then do safety equipment checks, you would then also restock the shelves throughout the day. I learned quite a bit about paints and what works best for each project, also how to mix and apply paints properly for the best outcome. Management was alright, but it was difficult to find a supervisor when needed and they sometimes cared less about any issues you where having. The hardest part of the job was the hours, they management wasn't very flexible if you needed to switch a shift and the hours where very hectic with not stability.
Pros
Choice of hour or half hour lunch
Cons
Unorginzied for breaks, supervision was minimal.
awesome place to work and the people are even better
Flooring associate (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONMarch 7, 2016
this is by far my favourite place i have worked in my entire job career the employees are awesome made some great friends there that i will keep for ever when ever i go back to buy something its like i never left and everyone makes me feel like its my second home
Great company depending on the management team per location
Operations (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSAugust 24, 2016
Great company depending on the management team per location.
Could be the best or worst of working environments. Way too much freedom of management types left unchallenged from outside of each location. The concept of the Home Depot culture is great and if followed was a wonderful work environment.
Pros
Excellent culture and great employees.
Cons
Managemnt styles
The most enjoyable parts of working in Home Depot
Head Cashier/HR Assistant (Current Employee) –  Calgary ABAugust 31, 2015
It comes in 3 parts for me:

Learning: there is always room and opportunity for anyone who wants to learn and develop him/herself. The growth opportunity abound and is accessible.

Co-workers: these includes management. The friendship, warmth, support is very outstanding to say the least. And this has made the little politics and red tapes that may exist to be somewhat intangible.

Free food: The HR manager and the social committee are awesome. There is almost always something to eat or nibble on during breaks and lunch times.

All of these have made working in my organization easy and fun.
Pros
free lunches, safety measures always
Cons
none yet