The Home Depot Employee Reviews in Canada

Found 1,246 reviews matching the search
Alright all around position.
Merchandising Execution Team (MET) (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKDecember 6, 2015
Can be a fun yet productive work environment. Has decent working schedule hours Monday through Friday, weekends off. Great health benefits for full time associates.
Pros
Regular weekday shifts, good benefits
The people you work with make the job fun.
Delivery and Will Call Coordinator (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, ABDecember 12, 2015
It was a good temp job until something better came along.It has to revamp the salary scale to stop going through tons of people.
Pros
They have good benefits.
Cons
Low retail salary!
Great Company !
Manager Contractor Services (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 15, 2015
Home Depot is a great company for students part- timers and people looking to build their career in retail and retail management.It provides great benefits for students part timers and their full time employees. Working hours could be an issue for some looking for a stable job hours , as in retail closing and opening hours are longer especially for a big box retailer.

It is a great employers with lot of different cultures into the one work place and gives equal opportunity to all different people.
Pros
Fun work environment, great benefits
Cons
Uncertain hours, singular development
Overall a good company to work for
Head Cashier (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NSNovember 13, 2015
Decent benefits, nice coworkers and good customer service. It's very hard to get fired though and that can be a problem with bad coworkers who have a negative effect on the work atmosphere.
Great Job Awesome Benefits.
CUSTOMER SERVICE HOME SENSE (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 31, 2016
Typical day at work would be greeting customers, answering their questions/concerns, directing them where they need to go and cashing them out. I have learned that the customer is always right, even if there is a misunderstanding. Being polite, thanking the customer and great customer service are all great aspects to keep the customer satisfied and coming back.

Management and co-workers are great at Home Depot. Everyone is friendly and professional. The cons at work would be delayed lunch schedules and low staff on busy days.

Best part of my job is hearing back compliments from a customer from management and knowing that the customer walks away satisfied.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
delayed lunch schedule
Night shift review
Night shift (Current Employee) –  CambridgeSeptember 3, 2015
Night shift is ok. its a good job but its really hard to balance life and work with these hours. however its the perfect shift to get your foot in the door with the company and learn how to use lift trucks and how the company works without worrying about customers. very supportive management and a great company to work for as a whole. the job is easy but can also be a work out.
Pros
part time benefits, lift truck training
Cons
hard hours at night.
THD is a great company to work for.
Fulfillment Associate (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ONOctober 26, 2015
There are many benefits to working at THD, but my favorite is the diversity of the people that work there coming together to achieve goals that lead to greatness. Whether there as a part-time student or as a full-time associate you have a home with Home Depot.
great company
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCOctober 1, 2015
Great company to work for if you want advancement there approach is great, lots of training and the company polices are good. Overall the experience I had was very positive.
Pros
great benifits
Cons
long hours shift work
Order picker was a very physical position
Overnight Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJune 29, 2016
Worked overnight as an order picker. Thank the stars I did not have to deal with the customers on day shift. They are relentless and treat you like you work at Walmart.

A normal night of picking in the summer will have you picking large deck packages which for me was very physical.
Loading 40-50 2x12" by 16 foot lengths of pressure treated lumber (that was wet most of the time making it heavier) onto a cart by yourself will surely wear you out. And that was only the beginning of the order. Most deck orders have over 100 pcs of lumber.

Everyone was in a bad mood all the time and you could hear them talking smack about the company because management keeps staff to a bare minimum to keep stock prices high for the investors. So, everyone is way overworked.

Left it as soon as I could after trying my best for a month.
Cons
Long hours, very physical, low pay, grouchy workers, overworked
I had a lot of jobs within the company,which made it possible to have a lot of experience in any type of job I would be interested in the future.
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 2, 2016
I have worked as a Cashier for awhile then I had moved onto a Head cashier for a bit,running a team of cashiers/lot personnel. Also had worked in the vault which carried a float of 30,000 dollars a day. Which then moved me to Customer Service/Returns. At the end of my career at Home Depot for about three years,I did return to vendor. So not only working as associate to serve the customer,I also had the opportunity to work with the vendor part of the store. The hardest part of the job was scheduling for a team of associates,part/full timers. I would have to say working with a lot of cultures would be the best part of the day.
Pros
Paid benefits package as well as 2 weeks paid holiday
Cons
no room to make more money even though each job was different and had different qualifications
A good place to work but needs more better hours
Sales associate and back room support (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 8, 2016
A good place to work every day there was something new especially with customers, always new opportunities to find something to do, and never bored. I learned new features in the products that they sell and gave advice on flooring, kitchen and bath and seasonal department. Plus, gave support in the back room on delivery, receiving, shipping, and moving products around the store for display. There was always an opportunity to work in any department but needs a better schedule. The most enjoyable part is that the customers come back looking for you and your advice because they enjoyed your service and attitude which was always friendly and with a smile.
Cons
better hours
Great staff interaction, Great benefits
Pro Account Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NBOctober 18, 2015
Good working environment, advancement is possible with proper training provided, Wages could be improved according to skills and experience.
Benefits
Cons
wages
Productive establishment, teaching great fundamentals to its employees
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONJune 4, 2016
A typical day at work for me was, exciting as I was always learning new methods and techniques to providing great customer service. In addition learning how to be an excellent sales representative,

In regards to management and co workers, I was able to use the skills that I have learned from other jobs and school;. in order to co operate, learn, and excel at being a team player with initiative.

I would not say that there was a hard part of the job, but the most challenging part of the job was initially handling the customers frustrations with the self checkout machine

The most enjoyable part of the job, was that I was able to use my degree as a way to connect with customers. I.E having conversations about certain topics in order to make them feel more comfortable with their time at the store.
Pros
part time benefits
Cons
competitor promotion matching
Enloyed the challange of not knowing what each day was going to present.
Sepcial Services Desk (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ONOctober 2, 2015
Was a pleasant work environment. Each day presented a new challenge to problem solve. I enjoyed working with my fellow associates. I loved making people happy and this environment provide many opportunities to do just that.
Pros
exciting work enviroment
Cons
low compensation
Great people, great experience, excellent benefits.
Various Positions (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 23, 2016
I enjoyed day to day work, of course responsibilities differ from department to department. Management was very easy to get along with. Co-workers were the most diverse I've experienced, opportunities for literally anyone, cultural and ethnic diversity is frequently celebrated, LGBT diversity and acceptance is celebrated, even physical diversity is encouraged, three of my co-workers are handicapped, and even two were in wheelchairs. The hardest part of the job regrettably was that it was still a strict corporate environment, with little to no tolerance in attendance issues. The most enjoyable part was definitely the people i got to meet and interact with.
Great Environment and Staff
Customer Service Representative/Cashier (Current Employee) –  North York, TorontoJuly 16, 2015
My typical day at work would be to come in and provide excellent customer service to all customers in the store. Whether I am doing a floor sale or phone sale or cashing out customers my job at the home depot is to make sure every single customer leaves with complete satisfaction and a smile on their face and only then I know my job is completed. At the home depot I've learned the company's core values such as doing the right thing, respect for all people, building store/customer relationships, and most importantly giving exceptional customer service. The management team at the home depot are very friendly and welcoming but can not always be found when associates on the floor need help and should be more respectful when disciplining associates. Like most jobs they all have pros and cons, the hardest part about my job is opening up new home depot credit cards but the most enjoyable part about my job is being a team player and getting to work with some amazing people.
Pros
Great staff, Great benefits, Long lunch periods.
Cons
Not the best management, not the best pay
Fun atmosphere, friendly customers
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONMay 19, 2016
Typical day: customer service, refilling low stock, some tasking, setting up display patio furniture, safety spotting heavy machinery

Learned about merchandise (which is always useful since they sell home improvement equipment and necessities) and garden care in the Garden Centre.

Management were supportive and friendly, but there were occasionally communication issues.

Hardest part of the job: there is a lot to know about a lot of merchandise, (in any department), heavy lifting.

Most enjoyable part of the job: friendly co-workers, helping customers and solving problems.
Pros
Some free lunches, management awards good work, happy atmosphere
Cons
Not many tasks during off-peak hours, hours can go late (11 pm), hectic during peak hours
Not a Career Company
Head Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 11, 2016
Working at the Skyview Home Depot was enjoyable for the most part.

Your typical day, depended on what shift/day you worked!

I have learned responsibility, independence, time management skills and what teamwork really is!

The management I knew were always looking after their associates then. Now the management's style is hostile and favouritism based!

The associates that I have worked with by nature were happy, until this stores management changed them!

The only part hard about my job was the lack of staffing at times, but, was at most, resolvable!

The enjoyable part of my job was my management process, the work within my duties and the associates whose ethics and personality, kept me there all these years!
Pros
Build responsibility/skills, Christmas parties, profit sharing, homer awards!
Cons
Depends on peers. Vac (1st come/serve), Schedules aren't flexible to lifestyle!
Long Term Employee
Appliance associate, Kitchen / Bath , Plumbing (Former Employee) –  British ColumbiaAugust 29, 2015
Firstly...no place is perfect. For over 5 years I worked at the Home Depot as a part time associate. Over that time I mastered almost every department. I am not boasting but my desire to learn new retail methods encouraged me to a very high level of customer service. Comparing retail of today what it was 35 years ago to today....
1) Better pay
2) Better benefits
3) Lazier people
4) A terrible work / life balance.
5) Majority of associates not savvy in basic knowledge and even poorer customers.
6)Very arrogant customers lacking respect and integrity
7)Success sharing that was pitiful compared to a nice employee discount.
8) Higher expectations for management created by unruly customers.
9) Ethnic change that was huge
10) Open on holidays and Sunday (bad, very bad)

To summerize, a good basic place to work temporarly. Unfortunately Home Depot does not create a career oriented place of work due to foolish schedules and poor management. Close Sundays, say "no" to continual returns. Build a respectful relationship with customer and associate. Their scheduling is poor at best, years ago it was simple but today they create a confusing system. This by far is the worst dynamic of Home Depot. One last point...stop buying Chinese products only North American.
Pros
Pay, benefits
Cons
ridiculous scheduling with little respect for the associate
Just O.K...NOT great place to work!
merchandising rep. (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCApril 15, 2016
Took this job initally as I assumed that I was to learn about Home-renovations and all that that entails...WRONG..basically, the position is one of a glorified janitor...Dusting and stocking/facing displays through-out the entire store, which includes working in the cold/frost out-doors in winter months..Applied for the overnite position at another location..Being a NEW position with-in the same department, the managers were NOT certain of the actual details of the position...The shift was VERY long...10 hours/ 4 nights week...Unless your a "night-owl" and can stay awake around the clock. 9 p.m. thru 7;30 am the following day I DO NOT recommend this job.
Pros
Off from 7:30 a.m.Friday to 9 p.m the following Monday...Full benifits.
Cons
Brutal long-hours..Falling asleep driving home...NOT being able to sleep during the day.