The Home Depot Employee Reviews

Found 1,457 reviews matching the search
A well rewarding entry-level job.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON25 October 2016
Though the job can get boring at times, and the pay is lackluster at best, the job itself and benefits are good enough for an entry level job. The issue I have with the job is that I came to it with 5 years of experience in my field, and I was not given any form of pay raise for that experience, though I consistently outsell my quotas.
Pros
Good benefits, relaxed environment.
Cons
Boring tedious work, lack of advancement
Caring Workplace
HR Staffing Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 October 2016
Highly held core values. Management can be difficult at times. Job is stressful if not given adequate management support. Opportunities for advancement if you work hard.
Fun place to work, but severly cutting working hours during slack season like winter.
Cashier II (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC14 December 2016
Typical day of work is fun. Co-workers were nice. I learned how to handle a difficult customer. Management sometimes were demanding.
Pros
Great benefits for part-timers
Cons
During winter, shift schedule is very minimal
Excellent work environment, coworkers were great
Lot Associate (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC27 January 2017
My time at Home Depot was a great deal of fun. Interacting with my co-workers was always a blast, as Home Depot seems to quickly crack down on disruptive, unfriendly additions to the crew (as was the case with a worker who was dismissed a month before my arrival).

As such, I was constantly surrounded by positivity, which didn't stop at my cowokers. Home Depot attracts a different clientele than your average retail store and as such, customers were much more willing to listen to you and friendlier than those you'll typically find.

10/10 would work there again.
Pros
Gave good breaks, friendly environment
Cons
Pay wasn't the greatest, management could take a while to respond to complaints
Front end experience
Front End Cashier (Former Employee) –  Country Hills, AB21 December 2016
Having worked at the country hills location in Calgary for 2 years, I have to say I'm extremely disappointed with the way management and supervisors treat the employees in the front end. I worked there as a lot associate and cashier, however I do have a hearing disability and apparently have been discriminated by that.

Such treatment included me to be forced to wear a radio close to my neck or to disengage from customers just so managers can be satisfied. The management there often coerced my ability to help customers by tasking me to work on various laborious jobs and constantly prevented me from giving customer satisfaction.

Essentially I was turned into an errand boy and management barely acknowledged my efforts. I can say that the country hills location did a poor job in accommodating my hearing disability and I will never work there again.
Pros
None that I can mention
Cons
Poor working environment
Great people, terrible management
Sale Associate (Current Employee) –  Mckenzie,Calgary, AB5 January 2017
Enjoy working with customers.Always eager to learn new products. Multi tasked and provided the best plus 1 customer service.
I'm extremely disappointed with the way management treat the employees.
Pros
Good medical benefits
Cons
management
2 out of 5
Front End Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Saanich, BC23 November 2016
After 17 years of service i was treated very poorly upon leaving. The management is disrespectful and narrow minded. It was a nice place to work while raising my family but it was uncomfortable to work in an atmosphere that doesn't foster growth of an individual.
Pros
friendly staff
Cons
compensation
Excellent company to work for.
Senior Sales (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON15 February 2017
The Home Depot provides their employees with a respectful, diversified and customer service oriented environment to work in.

The leadership team are always supportive and encourage team work. They respect my innovative ideas I suggest to them in team meetings. Consistent work related training is required to ensure I am following all the policies of the company and also to keep me updated on new procedures, systems and product knowledge. I know I am very fortunate to work in this type of environment.

I definitely feel I am part of The Home Depot "Team", and thoroughly enjoy working here.
Pros
Appreciation and Recognition by Management
Cons
The Seasonal Dept. can be a very chaotic department to work in, as the products are consistently changing all the time, therefore, it is extremely important to be able to multi-task constantly, following directives from many different managers often at the same time, which at times can become stressful. Therefore, you must know and be guided by your priorities each day.
Meet lots of great people
Merchandising Associate (Current Employee) –  Pickering, ON15 December 2016
Directions are majorly inconsistent!!! One minute you are told to do something one way, the next minute a totally different way! Do not trust the management in this sector. Lots of favouritism and gossiping. The job is extremely demanding both physically and mentally. Mentally because of so much confusion and contradictions. Not worth the pay which is very low for the expectations. Expect to ALWAYS work alone and if you are ever in need of physical help lifting things that state and require a Two Person lift....forget it! You are told to "Just get it done as quick as possible".
Pros
Surrounded by a lot of great people and hard workers!
Cons
No perks and low pay
Great opportunity to work at
Customer Service/cashiers (Current Employee) –  1983 Kipling avenue1 November 2016
Great opportunity to work at
Great opportunity to learn
about what the company can offer
Good benefits and values
More career opportunity
Busy work place
Company took care of their people
Respect others
None races
Pros
Profit sharing, salary increase after reviews
Cons
Minimal hours
fun place to work and very satisfying
Lot Associate (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC29 November 2016
i throughly enjoyed working for home depot for 2 and a half years. the customers are awsome and the standards of customer service they uphold are amazing. staff is very understanding if you have dissabilities, and the room for advancement is great to. the hardest part of the job would have to be making sure you are psycicaly fit to lift excess weight. the most enjoyable part is helping coustomers with there projects and having the self satisfaction of knowing you helped people alot of times there dream project. i highly recomend working for home depot if you enjoy customer service and taking that extra step to ensure there happy with there experience.
Order picker was a very physical position
Overnight Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB29 June 2016
Worked overnight as an order picker. Thank the stars I did not have to deal with the customers on day shift. They are relentless and treat you like you work at Walmart.

A normal night of picking in the summer will have you picking large deck packages which for me was very physical.
Loading 40-50 2x12" by 16 foot lengths of pressure treated lumber (that was wet most of the time making it heavier) onto a cart by yourself will surely wear you out. And that was only the beginning of the order. Most deck orders have over 100 pcs of lumber.

Everyone was in a bad mood all the time and you could hear them talking smack about the company because management keeps staff to a bare minimum to keep stock prices high for the investors. So, everyone is way overworked.

Left it as soon as I could after trying my best for a month.
Cons
Long hours, very physical, low pay, grouchy workers, overworked
review
Cashier/Service Desk (Current Employee) –  Rexdale, ON12 December 2016
Home Depot is an amazing place to work with lots of advancement in position. Management is very good in this store . HR help all its employees and social gatherings
Pros
free lunches
Cons
working all weekends
Horrible management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton South10 May 2016
Management was horrible, lacks any chance of advancement. Pay was horrible, minimum wage for cashiers, and what is even more disappointing is each year you get about a 30 cent raise, and when minimum wage went up they raised my pay to minimum wage but didn't add any of my previous raises to it. Then they hire new cashiers making 1.50 more than me per hour after I've been there for 3 years, asked 3 different managers including assistant manager to let me learn a department other than cash ( all departments make more than cashiers) and they gave me many empty promises. they would not work with you school schedule and you are required at least 4 of 7 days availability that includes weekends. They fire you fi you can't meet that and get other associates to work your shifts. They also stuck me with greeting (which is standing in one spot handing out flyers for 4-9 hours) I greeted for 18-22 hours every single week for 4 months it was horrible.I hated working there so glad I quit, and I hope the depot goes down.
Pros
Cons
horrible management, lack of career advancement
Average Working Environment
Bookkeeper (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 November 2016
Working at this company has been quite a rewarding experience. I have developed strong customer service skills. Management at The Home Depot is somewhat good, sometimes a lack of communication between associates and management can be the most difficult part of my job because when there is no communication, it creates a stressful work environment.
The most enjoyable part of my job is working with my co-workers. They are quite a helpful bunch of associates. Also, sometimes we would get free lunches. So, it's nice to feel appreciated!
Pros
Free Lunches/profit sharing
Cons
Stressful environment and poor communication between management and associates
Fun and fulfilling but little room for advancement
Paint Associate (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON16 March 2016
The environment is great, parties and meetings are genuinely fun. Management is warm and understanding of personal issues. Scheduling is fair and usually made up to 3 weeks in advance, which is very nice and hours are generally good. Pay is competitive and benefits are as well. All-in-all a great place to work, my only complaint would be the lack of room for advancement. Due to the high number of people who stay past retiring age, I've found that there is little room to advance your position unless you are making a life long commitment to the company. That being said, students can cross train in different departments for more hours, which is also nice.
Pros
Fun environment, good management
Cons
Lack of room for advancement
Great workplace atmosphere
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON30 January 2017
The Home Depot is a great workplace that provides useful training to complete daily tasks serving customers in a variety of ways.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Middle management training
great, safe place to work at
Special service associate (Current Employee) –  6725 104 st edmonton ab9 November 2016
The Home Depot is great working place. I work with great team, i receive great support form my management team. We have very good benefits, work is very safe.
Pros
great team
Cons
hours
Friendly place to work, very accommodating management, great support.
Cashier/ Customer Service Rep/ Returns - Part-Time (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB28 July 2016
A typical day involved providing excellent customer service, and making sure the clients needs were met or exceeded. Management was very supportive with answering questions and resolving problems. The staff and coworkers always worked together as a team.
Most enjoyable was the interaction with clients and staff alike.
Pros
Flexibility of the job. Benefits for part-time workers.
great job
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 February 2017
i had no complaints, great pay. good hours and very flexible. employers and training was top notch. flexible and great benefits. great environment to work out of
Pros
great pay