The Home Depot Employee Reviews in Canada

Found 1,273 reviews matching the search
There is a great emphasis on "teamwork" and an understanding of the company policies and procedures
Customer Service Associate, and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Spruce Grove, ABMay 17, 2016
I enjoyed the fact that when I did begin my employment with Home Depot, there was a great amount of training to advance my skills and make me more knowledgeable of my position. There was a lot of support from co-workers and Management
Pros
Training, free lunches and inservices
Cons
customer service desk was at times "stressful", as unlike cashier who simply runs purchases through till, Customer Service basically deals with returns and unhappy customers
free pizza lunches for working overime
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ONJuly 22, 2016
While working at Home Depot I really enjoyed working with so many people everyday, also I liked the fast pace environment, always something to do. Id have to say one of the hardest part of the job was adjusting to the hours, getting in the routine of waking up at 4am wasn't easy.
Pros
free pizza lunces for working overtime
Cons
no benifits
Fun atmosphere, friendly customers
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONMay 19, 2016
Typical day: customer service, refilling low stock, some tasking, setting up display patio furniture, safety spotting heavy machinery

Learned about merchandise (which is always useful since they sell home improvement equipment and necessities) and garden care in the Garden Centre.

Management were supportive and friendly, but there were occasionally communication issues.

Hardest part of the job: there is a lot to know about a lot of merchandise, (in any department), heavy lifting.

Most enjoyable part of the job: friendly co-workers, helping customers and solving problems.
Pros
Some free lunches, management awards good work, happy atmosphere
Cons
Not many tasks during off-peak hours, hours can go late (11 pm), hectic during peak hours
Hardware sales associate. (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONAugust 6, 2016
Wonderful place to work. They really care about there associates. The training is very in depth and detailed. All management is very good and fair. They try very hard to get everyone involved in outside activities and I feel that is very good.
Pros
Wonderful place to work everyone is very close.
Cons
Cement floor, dealing with angry customers
Great place to work, especially for students and Part-Time
FLOORING ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ONJuly 21, 2016
Good Support and job Culture. Managers and supervisors are really helpful. Training you can use for other trade jobs. work days are not too long and supervisors take time to properly train each associate with almost professional precision.
Pros
easy work, hour launch
Cons
none really for the type of job
Pleasant atmosphere
Special Services Associate (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ONAugust 25, 2016
Worked in "Special Services" dept, served customers in person and on the phone whose orders were incorrect or unavailable. Phoned customers when their orders arrived, recorded daily sales, expidited items for orders and inventory.
Pros
Staff was amazing
Cons
Company relied too much on computer numbers and not customer service.
Good for Management, that's about it.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BCMay 5, 2016
My time at Home Depot was an insight into what Managment is suppose to do, and thats not because of excellent work. There was more concern over corporate politics and favouritism then anything else, leaving people at the bottom of the chain either paranoid of making mistakes or so safeguarded by their higher ups that they could do next to nothing for eight hours with no consequence.The only upside is benifits are good for an entry level job. No matter what your work ethic or customer service skill though, Home Depot will make you feel like just another disposible cog in the machine.
Productive and fun
Sales Associate - Part-time (Current Employee) –  Regina, SKMay 4, 2016
Home depot demands high energy, evolving knowledge, on the job training and knowing the products and services. I learned a lot about home renovations and can now advise on some common projects with much ease. Awesome management that gives respect and lots of energy that trickles down to the team and keeps everyone motivated. Hardest part of the job is long hours while on any given day you can enjoy self-satisfaction.
Pros
fun place to work
Cons
outlets never close
fun with the supportive Teams
Merchandiser Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMay 22, 2016
-stocking product to shelf so customer can buy their needs, i learned that no matter what customer is always right and you have to value their opinion,the management is good too.very supportive to the employee to the work standard,the team is very supportive o each other,the hardest part of the job is is you have to get up so early to work,i always enjoy with my job
Pleasant work environment
Conseiller en vente (Current Employee) –  Quebec City, QCJune 22, 2016
I enjoy every day at work, the colleagues are all fantastic insofar as the way they treat each other. The management team listen to employees complaints and try their best to change things, the main bonne of contention is the salary, which, according to many co worker and i is low as compare to the competitors.
Pros
free dinner once a month
The Home Depot
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ONMay 2, 2016
The Home Depot has taught me diversity, time management, leadership, and independence.

The hardest part of the job was learning and remembering all the different departments and merchandise that comes in each said department.

The most enjoyable part of my job was definitely the customers. Home Depot has some of the most loyal, honest, kindest and understanding customers I have ever witnessed out of all my years in retail.
Fun, Excellent Customer based.
Lot Associate (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ONAugust 9, 2016
A typical day consisted of loading assistance for customers, directions of store, minor store cleaning, clean up of parking lot and organizing of shopping carts and special carts, order picker. I learned excellent customer service and communication skills, very friendly work environment with fair management.
Productive nights, and long hours.
Freight Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBApril 26, 2016
5 days a week, 8 hours a night, I worked night shifts, every day of the week, including weekends. Co-workers were well informative, and very helpful. I learned it is very important to stay on task, and do your assigned job, as instructed to do so, without any complaints. It is important to keep a positive work attitude, and stay on track with your hours, if not, it could affect you in the long run.
Pros
Lunch Breaks were good
Cons
Long hours.
Got paid to chat about decks
Building Materials Department Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 30, 2016
Learned about different home projects and how to do them. Co-workers were friendly while management pushed for results/seemingly were unaware of how the employees operated in store during work (disconnect b/w sales floor associates and mgmt)
Pros
Good People
Cons
alternating schedule
Fun place to work, Management sucks
Electrical Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABAugust 11, 2016
Pretty easy customer service job if you know what you're talking about otherwise you're boned cause the training is completely insufficient, the value put on being part of a team is excellent and actually up-holded in there, other low level employees are all nice and tend to want to help you, management on the other hand looks for any screw ups so they can boot you out the door cause the less employees they have on at the end of the "Season" the more money management gets as a result. There were people in there that they wanted gone so they suspended them for being a minute late 3 times in a week, which according to policy they can do but you also have to clock in with everybody else at that exact time so it's kinda hard core if they want you gone they will find so many reasons you literally can't do anything.
Pros
Part of a team, great customer service experience
great place to work
Full time Flooring and decor sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford, BCApril 16, 2016
never a dull day helping customers all day is very satisfying working to find the perfect flooring solution for your customers.
I have learned time management, fork lift skills, first aid and great sales skills .
management are great they support your job development and growth as a person and an associate.
my coworkers are the greatest group of people I've ever worked with
supportive and driven.
the hardest part of my job is when you see a person leave with the wrong product and wont change to a suitable one.
seeing the final project completed a lot of my customers come back to show me the final project.
Pros
training and long term
Cons
Okay as part time employement while in school
Sales Associate (Seasonal) (Current Employee) –  OntarioApril 14, 2016
Home Depot isn't for everyone. After being an associate for 5 years at the same store this is how I feel...

No flexibility in availability- you have to basically be full flex weekdays and weekends. Your schedule will be all over the place from 6am-11pm.

Pay isn't enough for what you do. I can say being there for 5 years and I barely make more than new associates coming in which isn't right as a full time employee.

Management varies - you'll have some good ones and some bad ones.

There isn't much appreciation for the hard work we put in every single day.

It's always lots of hard work but very little pay

Pros
The people working there, success sharing
Cons
Safety shoes, 9hr shifts, low pay, schedule
Diversity in the work place
Merchandising Execution Team (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJune 23, 2016
Love that this company hires a wide variety of employees with different ages, ethnicity, beliefs and backgrounds

Worked with most immediate coworkers for 5 years resulting in some amazing life-long friendships
Pros
Competitive full time benefits
Cons
Merchandising team was hard to advance in
Great Place To Work
Lumber Sales Associate/Labourer (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABJune 14, 2016
I love working at the Home Depot. The managers are fair and easy-going, and the work is not very stressful. Most of the fellow employees are in good spirits and always have smiles on their faces. The biggest issue here is pay. The job pays very poorly and when the store is not that busy, your hours can get cut.
Order picker was a very physical position
Overnight Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJune 29, 2016
Worked overnight as an order picker. Thank the stars I did not have to deal with the customers on day shift. They are relentless and treat you like you work at Walmart.

A normal night of picking in the summer will have you picking large deck packages which for me was very physical.
Loading 40-50 2x12" by 16 foot lengths of pressure treated lumber (that was wet most of the time making it heavier) onto a cart by yourself will surely wear you out. And that was only the beginning of the order. Most deck orders have over 100 pcs of lumber.

Everyone was in a bad mood all the time and you could hear them talking smack about the company because management keeps staff to a bare minimum to keep stock prices high for the investors. So, everyone is way overworked.

Left it as soon as I could after trying my best for a month.
Cons
Long hours, very physical, low pay, grouchy workers, overworked