The Home Depot Employee Reviews

Found 1,491 reviews matching the search
A Fun place to work
Lumber Building Materials (Current Employee) –  Ancaster, ON23 January 2017
My decision to work at The Home Depot was based upon my availability during my school semester. That being said, my work experience was exactly what I was expecting. Be part of a team, ensure everything is neat and tidy and listen and help out all the customers.that may need your assistance.

Bonus: I was trained and licensed to operate a Fork Lift, Reach Truck and Order Picker
Great place to work. Love to work at Home Depot again
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Scot road. North Surrey B.C31 December 2016
Atypical day at work was very friendly co workers.Helpful cooperative, the floor manager was always there in case of any help or issues.There was not any hard day since the staff and the management was always there to help each other at times of any difficulty.the most enjoyable part of the job was when we got best cashier of the month badge which gave us to work hard and achieve goals.
Très agréable de travailler pour cette entreprise
Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sainte-Foy, QC13 March 2017
J'ai été superviseur dans différents département comme
la quincaillerie, la peinture, électricité, plomberie.
Coach pour les nouveaux associés.
Deux fois par année on reçois des bonis.
La seul chose que je trouve difficile c'est de servir des clients qui sont agressifs quand il manque des articles.
Pros
Café gratuit
Cons
Manque de marchandise
Meet lots of great people
Merchandising Associate (Current Employee) –  Pickering, ON15 December 2016
Directions are majorly inconsistent!!! One minute you are told to do something one way, the next minute a totally different way! Do not trust the management in this sector. Lots of favouritism and gossiping. The job is extremely demanding both physically and mentally. Mentally because of so much confusion and contradictions. Not worth the pay which is very low for the expectations. Expect to ALWAYS work alone and if you are ever in need of physical help lifting things that state and require a Two Person lift....forget it! You are told to "Just get it done as quick as possible".
Pros
Surrounded by a lot of great people and hard workers!
Cons
No perks and low pay
Supportive and Great Environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Collingwood, ON10 December 2016
I throughly enjoyed working for this company due to the always supportive Management and co-workers as well as the safe and fun workplace environment.
Everyone who worked there was always friendly and work days were never a dull, always exciting.
The company has an amazing full time and part time benefit plan which is unheard of now a days.
As a student, Home Depot offers Tuition Reimbursement which is outstanding due to school being so expensive.

I would recommend Home Depot as a workplace always.
Pros
supportive
Cons
long hours, hard floors
Good job for students and pre-retiree
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Milton, ON8 February 2017
My colleagues are awesome to work with. Politics do come into play when trying to advance. Some work life balance is a bit difficult to manage with shifts being all over due to retail.

They do monitor your sales and have expectations that conflict with customer care.
Pros
Some os the greatest friends made.
Cons
work life balance for the pay
Experience with wide assortment of product and fellow associates
Freight Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary Chinook5 December 2016
The Home Depot is a place to learn about operating in a safe open warehouse to accomplish a variety of tasks with experienced people available to help teach and lighten a heavy load. Your feet may ache and your body will yearn for rest those first weeks, yet hang in and your time will not be misspent with valuable skills and talents found in a friendly and lively workplace.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kelowna BC12 January 2017
I loved working in the seasonal department and only stopped to take the summer of for a well needed break. We then moved to Summerland BC. Miss working in the seasonal department and all of the associates that work at the Home Depot. It is a great place to work where everyone cares for each other.
Pros
great staff appreciation
Cons
steel toed shoes and cement floors
Great place to work with a family environment
Head Cashier and Hardware Associate (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS8 January 2017
Working at the Home Depot is a great experience. It is a fun place to work at and there is a great chance for bettering yourself. The focus on customer service at Home Depot has allowed me to build my interpersonal skills that I believe will be a great help in any and all my future plans.
Pros
Benefits even for part time
Productive Work place
Cashier/Seasonal Associate (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, AB30 November 2016
While working at Home Depot, I was treated fairly and equally. The hardest part of being a cashier was the repetition but the best part was socializing with customers and making sure they left happy. I found near the end of my career at the Home Depot was that I wasn't given enough hours and enough pay in order to continue working there.
Pros
On holidays we had to work we got fed fun lunches, and I got to work and meet awesome people and gain new retail experience.
Cons
Not enough hours
We always had fun events for our Colleagues and family
Assistant Manager/Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON30 November 2016
As a Store Manager my day was always always exciting and unpredictable.Loved getting to know the customers and taking care of them. Loved hiring new colleagues and developing them. We always had great moral and worked as a team. No Union. As long as we were making our #'s we were left alone to make our own decisions.
Hardest part is letting some one go when you hired them.
Best part was getting to know the customer and colleagues and the freedom to be as creative as I wanted to be.
Pros
Colleagues events, Free lunches
friendly
Home Depot Lott Associate (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC8 January 2017
All associates that work at the home depot are friendly and caring. Working there has given me many opportunities and has opened me up to talk to more customers with out being shy. I learned a lot working there, i have worked in many departments and have experienced different type of work and have worked with many people throughout my time in the company
Great people, terrible pay/appreciation
Seasonal and Paint Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON28 November 2016
It's a great place to work part time, especially as a student. Great people, flexible, lots of support and understanding from management. However, pay increases are extremely minimal. Hours are seasonal and not reliable. Even as a phenomenal employee, appreciation comes in the form of meaningless badges and lip service. It would be better if they rewarded good employees with livable hours and wages instead of giving them a meaningless award.
Pros
Excellent work environment
Cons
Insufficent hours and pay
fun place to work and very satisfying
Lot Associate (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC29 November 2016
i throughly enjoyed working for home depot for 2 and a half years. the customers are awsome and the standards of customer service they uphold are amazing. staff is very understanding if you have dissabilities, and the room for advancement is great to. the hardest part of the job would have to be making sure you are psycicaly fit to lift excess weight. the most enjoyable part is helping coustomers with there projects and having the self satisfaction of knowing you helped people alot of times there dream project. i highly recomend working for home depot if you enjoy customer service and taking that extra step to ensure there happy with there experience.
BS place to to work
seasonal associate/cashier (Current Employee) –  Stoney Creek, ON27 November 2016
My first store I worked at amazing loved it... now I'm in a new store new department... trained me on nothing I get written up over stupid things they should have trained me on but didn't and bloody head cashiers and managers can be really rude and unhelpful. I find they get mad over things that I can't control as well as they believe they trained me on BUT DID NOT... never get a weekend off unpredictable hrs
Pros
Cons
No weekends rude coworkers and don't train properly
It was a joke low pay lots of work managers IDIOTS
Lot Associate (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON15 February 2017
Low pay ! Managers are idiots! Like usual low pay lots of work! Managers well shouldn't of been managers! Didn't supply winter clothing gloves were a joke! I used my own to stay warm in winter! 2 winter jackets both zippers broke one had a hood! Everyone in store using the 2 jackets??? Wtf
Great company
logistical coordinator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 March 2017
This company will always be close to my heart for the fact that it permitted me to move to Ontario and continue my studies in fashion design. They allowed me to learn all the product lines and gain more experience in online and over the phone customer service.
Pros
Positive attitude.
Cons
could support new staff a little better.
Average Working Environment
Bookkeeper (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 November 2016
Working at this company has been quite a rewarding experience. I have developed strong customer service skills. Management at The Home Depot is somewhat good, sometimes a lack of communication between associates and management can be the most difficult part of my job because when there is no communication, it creates a stressful work environment.
The most enjoyable part of my job is working with my co-workers. They are quite a helpful bunch of associates. Also, sometimes we would get free lunches. So, it's nice to feel appreciated!
Pros
Free Lunches/profit sharing
Cons
Stressful environment and poor communication between management and associates
strict environment but good place to work
Lot Attendant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 November 2016
Try not to get a job in lot unless you can handle very cold and very warm weather. It can become very boring in lot. And some of the head cashiers can be extremely rude especially if you are standing still and just conversing with co-workers, it is also kind of a dead end job for most because they won't usually let you leave that department for another one
Pros
some equipment in supplied
Cons
not a lot of hours
Typical retail job but an excellent company
Cashier, Pack Down (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, AB1 March 2017
The home depot I worked for had amazing employees. The employees is what made the customer service portion bearable. Decent pay and excellent benefits for part time and full time employees.
Pros
Work environment is excellent, Benefits for part timers
Cons
Management can be undesirable