The Home Depot Employee Reviews

Found 1,626 reviews matching the search
Great Company
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cobourg, ON27 May 2017
This company ensures that they build a community and team that is capable of both teamwork, but also success. It was quite a place to work within this company.
Management left a lot to be desired!
Associate sales (Former Employee) –  London, ON26 May 2017
Worked in lumber dept. and hardware dept. helping people with their lumber cuts as well as their hand tools and power tools. Working with management and retail customers was informative and enlightening. Hardest part of job was part time hours.
Pros
Regular staff helpful
Cons
Management difficult
fun for all and food sometimes to
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC25 May 2017
its good most days but can become over whelming very quickly great group of employees that get along and its fun most days and when we do good as a group they feed us pizza and bbq
Pros
food and people
Cons
angry customers
Varies from store to store
Front End Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 May 2017
Really the thing that makes or breaks working at home depot and lots of places is the store team. a good manager is awesome. bad ones are terrible. the one i worked at had a less than optimal store team. there were lots of great people working there and we were fairly high on customer satisfaction. but a lot of the department leaders were pretty terrible. as well, our store manager was great in some areas but in others was lacking. as well some departments worked in ways that really clashed with other departments. overall the home depot is overall proabably one of the best places to work in the retail field. but a bad store management team can make it a nightmare to help customers and enjoy the work enough to want to stay.
Pros
great policy's, pretty good wages starting at 12.00 plus an hour whereas others start you at like 10.85
Cons
leadership has too much "power" meaning a bad team leader/supervisor can make your department suck
hard to be part of a team
Inventory Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON24 May 2017
hard to explain but struggle a lot seems everyone is for their own.
Management gives minimum support and do not often to listen to others.
people are quick to point fingers
Fun and I found it would be a great place to start with your first job
Lot Associate (Former Employee) –  Brandon, MB23 May 2017
(you know this mandatory survey is rude right?) A typical day would be pushing carts, cleaning the lot, making sure garbages weren't too full and cleaning up other people's messes haha, you're a....warehouse chimp of sorts but the work was easy to get a rhythm for, which I liked. Its pretty monotonous but I like things that way, not much changes and honestly it felt like things were different month to month but I think had I been there a second year it would have been like putting life on repeat haha.
Pros
great HR department!
Cons
if you're the first one working, you're the only one working haha
Culture de l entreprise
Superviseur des ventes (Former Employee) –  Laval, QC23 May 2017
Identifier les meilleurs vendeurs dans les rayons et management des associés.
Pros
Voiture de fonction, pack informatique et téléphonie, ticket restaurant
Cons
Aucune limite horaire
For Home Depot MET
MET Overnight Project Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 May 2017
I think that Home Depot is a great job as far as retail goes. I have only worked with MET during my entire time with Home Depot. Talking with other Home Depot associates from other stores it seems that every store is very different to work in. I enjoy the store I work at, although there can be issues, overall I think its quite good. Being a part of MET means that I work at one store but I am not a part of the store, this helps with scheduling and such. I think the most enjoyable part of my job is that I get weekends off, when I leave I don't get called into work or asked questions regarding work, I can not even think about work during my time off. The hardest part is that you always try to cram as many things into the weekend. Working Overnight MET is challenging in that you need to always keep track your time (to bill vendors), and a lot of projects can be totally messed up. Doing lessons and such is also difficult, working the 10 hours really inhibits what you can do during the week.
Pros
MET get weekends and Stats off
Cons
Working four ten hour shifts definitely makes it difficult
Cashier
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON22 May 2017
The work becomes very redundant and mundane after a while as you do the same checkout process for hours on end. The hours are plenty during the summer season but very little during winter. Full Weekend availability was mandatory.
Pros
Free Food and Lunches on some days, Benefits, Profit sharing
Cons
Long hours of the same work, 100% weekend availability, no room for advancement
good.
Merchandizing Execution Associate (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON22 May 2017
a typical day, other than resets will include servicing a bay.it means checking and maintaining planogram integrity, cleaning and facing the product. changing and checking prices. building and maintaining displays. doing resets for christmas and spring /summer.
Relaxed Workplace, Well Run, Fast Paced, Flexible
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC19 May 2017
I enjoyed my time at The Home Depot and only left because I moved too far away. The store was well run and maintained, I always felt like the managers and head cashiers were doing their jobs well without being too demanding on their workers. There was always enough staff for the location and everyone worked together well. Hours were flexible and worked around my school schedule. The pay was pretty standard for the job but I did get benefits working there part time. The environment was fast paced and the days usually went by pretty fast. If i had to nitpick one thing it would be that The Home Depot doesn't give its employees any store discount, but there were other benefits given.
Pros
Relaxed workplace, Well managed, Flexible hours, Fast paced
Cons
No store discount
Hmmmm
Senior Kitchen Designer (full time) (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 May 2017
Home Depot slowly starts to suck the life out of everyone, except upper management. If you get hired, ensure you do not believe something good will happen!
lumber section
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 May 2017
cut and stack lumber,
help customers finding wood.
organized and categorize products
go to staff meetings
work overtime
open and close store
always smile
Pros
i am a very social person
Cons
very minimal room to move up
good workplace
Freight Associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON16 May 2017
It was a good place to work, I learned alot working there. I recommend this workplace for people looking to build new skills. I also recommend this job for people who are fresh out of school.
Pros
learn new skills
Cons
part time
Great workplace
SEASONAL SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Ottawa East, ON16 May 2017
The Home Depot was my first job in a fairly big workplace. The managers, supervisors and colleagues were friendly and made me feel right at home. I often got recognized for my hard work in a variety of ways, and working in the seasonal department allowed me to breathe in some fresh air all summer long (instead of working at a desk).
Good starter job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK15 May 2017
Returned for a second summer of working. Straight-forward job, nothing out of the ordinary. Lots of staff my age that I connected with. REALLY good training. Pay and time off was all online which was efficient. Only issue was that departments changed around products frequently so when customers would ask for location of products you weren't always sure if you actually knew exactly where they were.
Pros
Easy scheduling and paid training
Cons
Won't always know where things are
I enjoyed the atmosphere and helping people
Decor Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 May 2017
Aside from management being completely ignorant; this was a great job and I do very much miss it. Working with people who've become friends and the everyday interaction with new people - and sometimes the same customers was fantastic.
Pros
friendly environment
Cons
management was terrible
Minimal hours, no room for advancement.
Millwork Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 May 2017
Do not work for Home Depot. The company hires tonnes of part-timers to avoid giving any full-time benefits. Hours are sporadic and often, management provides "busy work" to keep up appearances.
Pros
Flexible shifts
Cons
Never enough hours.
Management team kills moral
Multiple Positions (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK15 May 2017
The management team is extremely strict. The manager gets people to wotk harder by pressuring them. This kills moral and creates an unhealthy work environment.
The Home Depot
Freight Supervisor, Overnight (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 May 2017
A typical day at work consists of leading and directing my Freight associates to work all inbound nightly deliveries to the store (often up to 6 trailers - freight, lumber, cement, dry wall, flowers, soil). A busy store in Calgary, AB, but with very little racking or storage space, the hardest part of the job each night is finding where to place any overstock pallets, or any pallet displays not yet ready to be merchandised on the sales floor (i.e. saving freight for an event). What I've learned with that respect is to plan ahead at the beginning of the night (what older overstock freight might I now be able to pack down into the home location so that I can now put new overstock up into the racking?). Other things I've learned is to make sure to be short and concise with my direction, and not elaborate too much. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with a knowledgable and friendly group of associates. The culture is genuinely quite open and friendly amongst all associates on the different shifts. Management usually take the time to listen to any concerns, but at times, it feels like the pressure to perform and achieve the best results may not always produce positive recognition for efforts shown.
Pros
lots of free lunches for meetings or to celebrate successful results or weeks.
Cons
I would appreciate hearing more positive reinforcement when I achieve results or expectations.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Home Depot. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval