The Home Depot Employee Reviews

Found 1,417 reviews matching the search
You get to learn new things
Millworks Specialty Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 January 2017
Working at this job you get to learn a lot of new things about home improvment whether it is in door and windows, or electrical. Coworkers are very good to work with especially when there are a lot of customers and need assistance and help all of them in a timely manner. Managers were very encouraging, even if you werent good at a certain skill. The hardest part of the job was being in steel toe boots for 9 hours a day, it really put a lot of stress on my heels. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to help customers find the best solution for their home improvement needs.
Pros
Helping customers
Cons
Concrete floor, hard on feet
the home depot
Customer service refund-Sale troubleshooting (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK7 January 2017
over all nice place to work for there is worse place to work for but the management have a tendency to to have they favorite employers who dont get in trouble no mater what they do and the none rfavorite seem to get in trouble no mater what they do
for me i was in the neutral part
but i seen the favorite come in late every day an never got in trouble mean will
i seen a new guy getting a warning up for not punching in after is lunch by 7 min
Meet lots of great people
Merchandising Associate (Current Employee) –  Pickering, ON15 December 2016
Directions are majorly inconsistent!!! One minute you are told to do something one way, the next minute a totally different way! Do not trust the management in this sector. Lots of favouritism and gossiping. The job is extremely demanding both physically and mentally. Mentally because of so much confusion and contradictions. Not worth the pay which is very low for the expectations. Expect to ALWAYS work alone and if you are ever in need of physical help lifting things that state and require a Two Person lift....forget it! You are told to "Just get it done as quick as possible".
Pros
Surrounded by a lot of great people and hard workers!
Cons
No perks and low pay
Supportive and Great Environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Collingwood, ON10 December 2016
I throughly enjoyed working for this company due to the always supportive Management and co-workers as well as the safe and fun workplace environment.
Everyone who worked there was always friendly and work days were never a dull, always exciting.
The company has an amazing full time and part time benefit plan which is unheard of now a days.
As a student, Home Depot offers Tuition Reimbursement which is outstanding due to school being so expensive.

I would recommend Home Depot as a workplace always.
Pros
supportive
Cons
long hours, hard floors
Productive Work place
Cashier/Seasonal Associate (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, AB30 November 2016
While working at Home Depot, I was treated fairly and equally. The hardest part of being a cashier was the repetition but the best part was socializing with customers and making sure they left happy. I found near the end of my career at the Home Depot was that I wasn't given enough hours and enough pay in order to continue working there.
Pros
On holidays we had to work we got fed fun lunches, and I got to work and meet awesome people and gain new retail experience.
Cons
Not enough hours
We always had fun events for our Colleagues and family
Assistant Manager/Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON30 November 2016
As a Store Manager my day was always always exciting and unpredictable.Loved getting to know the customers and taking care of them. Loved hiring new colleagues and developing them. We always had great moral and worked as a team. No Union. As long as we were making our #'s we were left alone to make our own decisions.
Hardest part is letting some one go when you hired them.
Best part was getting to know the customer and colleagues and the freedom to be as creative as I wanted to be.
Pros
Colleagues events, Free lunches
Great people, terrible pay/appreciation
Seasonal and Paint Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON28 November 2016
It's a great place to work part time, especially as a student. Great people, flexible, lots of support and understanding from management. However, pay increases are extremely minimal. Hours are seasonal and not reliable. Even as a phenomenal employee, appreciation comes in the form of meaningless badges and lip service. It would be better if they rewarded good employees with livable hours and wages instead of giving them a meaningless award.
Pros
Excellent work environment
Cons
Insufficent hours and pay
fun place to work and very satisfying
Lot Associate (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC29 November 2016
i throughly enjoyed working for home depot for 2 and a half years. the customers are awsome and the standards of customer service they uphold are amazing. staff is very understanding if you have dissabilities, and the room for advancement is great to. the hardest part of the job would have to be making sure you are psycicaly fit to lift excess weight. the most enjoyable part is helping coustomers with there projects and having the self satisfaction of knowing you helped people alot of times there dream project. i highly recomend working for home depot if you enjoy customer service and taking that extra step to ensure there happy with there experience.
BS place to to work
seasonal associate/cashier (Current Employee) –  Stoney Creek, ON27 November 2016
My first store I worked at amazing loved it... now I'm in a new store new department... trained me on nothing I get written up over stupid things they should have trained me on but didn't and bloody head cashiers and managers can be really rude and unhelpful. I find they get mad over things that I can't control as well as they believe they trained me on BUT DID NOT... never get a weekend off unpredictable hrs
Pros
Cons
No weekends rude coworkers and don't train properly
Experience with wide assortment of product and fellow associates
Freight Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary Chinook5 December 2016
The Home Depot is a place to learn about operating in a safe open warehouse to accomplish a variety of tasks with experienced people available to help teach and lighten a heavy load. Your feet may ache and your body will yearn for rest those first weeks, yet hang in and your time will not be misspent with valuable skills and talents found in a friendly and lively workplace.
Great place to work. Love to work at Home Depot again
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Scot road. North Surrey B.C31 December 2016
Atypical day at work was very friendly co workers.Helpful cooperative, the floor manager was always there in case of any help or issues.There was not any hard day since the staff and the management was always there to help each other at times of any difficulty.the most enjoyable part of the job was when we got best cashier of the month badge which gave us to work hard and achieve goals.
Average Working Environment
Bookkeeper (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 November 2016
Working at this company has been quite a rewarding experience. I have developed strong customer service skills. Management at The Home Depot is somewhat good, sometimes a lack of communication between associates and management can be the most difficult part of my job because when there is no communication, it creates a stressful work environment.
The most enjoyable part of my job is working with my co-workers. They are quite a helpful bunch of associates. Also, sometimes we would get free lunches. So, it's nice to feel appreciated!
Pros
Free Lunches/profit sharing
Cons
Stressful environment and poor communication between management and associates
strict environment but good place to work
Lot Attendant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 November 2016
Try not to get a job in lot unless you can handle very cold and very warm weather. It can become very boring in lot. And some of the head cashiers can be extremely rude especially if you are standing still and just conversing with co-workers, it is also kind of a dead end job for most because they won't usually let you leave that department for another one
Pros
some equipment in supplied
Cons
not a lot of hours
Not bad of a work day if your not in need to pay bills
Sales Associate level 2 (Current Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB28 October 2016
The job itself is not too bad and the manager are not the best but they are good at what they do. Your hours can get cut but they will do what they can to improve them. You sort of get the chance to pick your own wage but has long as you have long experience of working in sales. But they do not increase your wage that much and you get arise once a year, you basically have to relied on profit sharing which I find is a joke for the company to not pay you more money and everyone seems to be convince that it is the best thing but its not which means you have to hit target each day that you are here. Be aware of lot of change when you come to work here.
Pros
Free meals once in a while
Cons
Have to relied on profit sharing a lot to make money
A well rewarding entry-level job.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON25 October 2016
Though the job can get boring at times, and the pay is lackluster at best, the job itself and benefits are good enough for an entry level job. The issue I have with the job is that I came to it with 5 years of experience in my field, and I was not given any form of pay raise for that experience, though I consistently outsell my quotas.
Pros
Good benefits, relaxed environment.
Cons
Boring tedious work, lack of advancement
Very good team inter department relations
Associé aux ventes, spécialiste dép. plomberie (Current Employee) –  St-Henri, Montreal QC18 October 2016
Good working atmosphere with colleagues and management.
On going "Formation" keeps us informed on new technologies.
Management always try to improve well being.
Slow supply line makes it difficult to do your work fully and the lack of local power is difficult for direct management to address problems.
It's a big machine with slow response time.
Pros
Many social and training activities organized for employees
Cons
Slow response time on supply, lack of local management power, schedule limitations and restrictions
Focus on Training Time
Special Services Associate (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC18 October 2016
It often it so busy and understaffed, that proper training was basically impossible. Management expected you to know how to do everything after a month of being on floor. What happens is it is quiet and you are being taught how to do a complex order on the system. However, then many customers come and the trainer finishes the process without you, as you are now paying attention to the customers. Thus, you learn how to start the process, but never finish.

However coworkers were wonderful and more helpful.

Most enjoyable part was the free food on some days and the amount of break time they gave you based off hours. Often understaffed in most departments.
Pros
Free food
Cons
needs dedicated time for actual proper training
Great place to work with a family environment
Head Cashier and Hardware Associate (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS8 January 2017
Working at the Home Depot is a great experience. It is a fun place to work at and there is a great chance for bettering yourself. The focus on customer service at Home Depot has allowed me to build my interpersonal skills that I believe will be a great help in any and all my future plans.
Pros
Benefits even for part time
friendly
Home Depot Lott Associate (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC8 January 2017
All associates that work at the home depot are friendly and caring. Working there has given me many opportunities and has opened me up to talk to more customers with out being shy. I learned a lot working there, i have worked in many departments and have experienced different type of work and have worked with many people throughout my time in the company
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kelowna BC12 January 2017
I loved working in the seasonal department and only stopped to take the summer of for a well needed break. We then moved to Summerland BC. Miss working in the seasonal department and all of the associates that work at the Home Depot. It is a great place to work where everyone cares for each other.
Pros
great staff appreciation
Cons
steel toed shoes and cement floors