The Home Depot Employee Reviews

Found 1,495 reviews matching the search
great mixture of pay, benefits, and schedule flexibility
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 February 2017
For the three years I worked there I made life long friendships and maintained an incredible working relationship with all my bosses. Home Depot has competitive starting wages and the benefits are something i still haven't seen even in my professional career after college. The company sees each employee as an individual and tries their best to accommodate and appreciate each employee as such.
Pros
benefits, paid store meetings, flexible hours
Cons
weekends are mandatory
I loved working in a diverse company
Department Manager multiple positions (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 March 2017
Working at Home Depot was an amazing opportunity for me to learn on a daily basis. I was blessed with working in every corner of the store. The core values of customer service (Customer First) was held to a very high standard. The associates and management all worked together it was a large family feel,one of many of my favorite things.
Pros
Continous learning, great people, loyal customers.
Cons
Shift work, it was not working the weekends that are problematic, it is the 5am-2 then 2pm-11 shift work that is a con
A feel at home workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON23 February 2017
usually my day would consist of working with customers to find and help for what they are looking for. Give personal opinions on merchandise. I learned a lot of different things working at Home Depot, i learned so much more about gardening, outdoor tools and machines, and barbecues. The workplace was very welcoming and had a positive mentality. The hardest part of the job was also the easiest and that was dealing with customers as everyone is in the store for different reason, some need help and some don't. But overall i had no complaints.
Pros
barbecues
Cons
Exceptional team and a very accommodating work environment.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ON28 February 2017
Coworkers and management are very knowledgeable. It was a pleasure being a part of a high efficiency team. Having most employees with cross-department knowledge is incredibly helpful.
There may be shifts where heavy lifting and product organization are the bulk of the day, but having company events resulting in a quite regular supply of snacks in the break room makes quite a difference.
The customer base is also very pleasant.
Excellent Training and Learning atmosphere. Fast paced
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB12 March 2017
The Company as a whole was an excellent experience. I learned constantly and motivated my team to provide the best in Customer service. I was happy to develop and promote associates and create the leaders of tomorrow. I especially enjoyed the fast pace and pressure of competitive retail. My favourite aspect was working with People, both Customers and Staff.
Pros
Companies ethics and policies
Cons
District leadership
Most inclusive work place I have ever been in.
Appliance Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 March 2017
Great Motto! do the right thing. I really enjoyed my time at the Home Depot. There was a lack of hours when I was working there so I became cross-trained in several departments. I also worked in paints,lumber and hardware. Employees are given a certain degree of autonomy to make price and substitutions when product not available.
Pros
treat people as you yourself want to be treated.
Cons
lack of hours in my home department - appliance sales
Home Depot
Night Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON23 March 2017
My job was mostly in the lumber and building materials dept..I was responsible for off loading trucks of lumber, drywall and concrete using a forklift. Ensure that product is in store in a timely and safe manner. Pick overstock using a Order picker and reach truck. Make sure store is clean and grand opening ready at the end of shift. I learned a great deal there considering I went from a part-time associate to Night shift manager in 6 years. The hardest part of the job was there was a large work load on the team and not a lot of employees to get the job done.
Pros
Oppourtunity for advancement
Cons
shortstaffed
Good people
Part-time Lot Associate (Former Employee) –  Stoney Creek, ON25 March 2017
Maintain adequate number of buggies and carts near store entrance and listen to pages for loading assistance on a walkie talkie. When hear page on walkie talkie help customers load various items ranging from 5 gallon paint, floor tiles, concrete, cement, doors, fridges, washer and dryers, drywall, plywood, shingles, BBQ, sheds, mulch, dirt, cedar trees, lumber, fence panels and other merchandise that the customer needed assistance.
Pros
Good team work
Cons
Lots of walking and lifting
great community to work in
CASHIER (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ON28 March 2017
An amazing place to work in a multiple different areas that best suits you and your preferences. Suitable hours, great staff and amazing staff involvement outside of work itself. You become a community. Everyone appreciates everyone, no one is less or better even if someone is your boss, they only act like your boss if need be. Otherwise you have a lot of friends, great training and an ability to really excel in something you like or feel you want to learn.
Pros
community, store location, hours, pay
Cons
not for everyone, people can be rude
Not a great place to advance your career rapidly.
Seasonal and Electrical Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Ancaster, ON16 February 2017
Poor overall if you're seeking job security. Not impressed with many managers' willingness to know/learn about products in departments other than their own. Not impressed with the higher up attitude of taking advantage of the worker by not hiring on more full-time workers. Many co-workers and customers felt ripped off and gouged by the company overall and major manufactures of the product lines.
Happy Place to Work
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON31 January 2017
one of the happiest and friendliest places I've ever worked! As a cashier there are liberties that you can make that empower your decisions and there's a bit of freedom in that to make the customers happy. The pay isn't ideal but it builds every year and there are incentives to top employees. There's also a lot of room to advance from department to department so you never have to be bored with your job! There are Homer awards that employees give to each other that turn into cash advances; as someone who has worked at two different locations some stores tend to be more generous then others. There are also benefits.
Pros
Advancement
Cons
Minimum wage
Great company to Grow career with, multiple learning opportunities and different career paths.
Specialty sales Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Canada, ON17 March 2017
Home Depot is a great company to grow your knowledge and abilities at all levels.
Multiple different career avenues.
Great compensation package .
Fast paced and exciting environment, customer and results focused.
Pros
Enjoyable eniviorment, Great compensation package, career advancement
Cons
difficult schedule
Great Company
Head Cashier/Supervisor/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Bradford, ON31 January 2017
Love the company and the job details, the management at the Bradford store needs to be replaced, alot of "favoritism" no accountability for associates. The current management isthereason I am looking elsewhere for employment. The prior management was fantastic. TheHome Depot as a company is great with the exception of the pay, should be higher and based on performance of the individual not a sliding scale.
Excellent work environment, coworkers were great
Lot Associate (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC27 January 2017
My time at Home Depot was a great deal of fun. Interacting with my co-workers was always a blast, as Home Depot seems to quickly crack down on disruptive, unfriendly additions to the crew (as was the case with a worker who was dismissed a month before my arrival).

As such, I was constantly surrounded by positivity, which didn't stop at my cowokers. Home Depot attracts a different clientele than your average retail store and as such, customers were much more willing to listen to you and friendlier than those you'll typically find.

10/10 would work there again.
Pros
Gave good breaks, friendly environment
Cons
Pay wasn't the greatest, management could take a while to respond to complaints
A good job, but not good money.
Hardware Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB26 January 2017
The training at Home Depot is extensive and paid, but the best way to learn is on the sales floor. The work can often be stressful, but the workplace culture is generally pleasant and makes it easier to help customers with excellence. Management offers help and advice but delegates a lot of tasks, and there is very little promotion from within the company. Pay does not increase with minimum wage, so seniority does not mean best pay, in fact it's the opposite.
Nice place to work but money is not enough.
Flooring/Decor Associate (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB5 February 2017
A regular work day consists of opening the store with a morning rally with all staff to get day started. Then we do a daily safety inspection of our areas.The rest of the day is customer service and stocking to keep store neat and organize.

I really enjoy working with the customers and helping build their projects or help them set up someone to come install their projects.

My only con really is the heavy work load in my department and being on your feet all day takes a toll on the back.

Home Depot is a good company to work for and tries to make sure their employees needs are met.
Pros
Great team I work with, never lay off, flexible for days off and special needs.
Cons
Low wages/Heavy labour/Awards are taxed/Rules don't apply for everyone
Most positions are part-time, pay isn't the greatest, good company culture
Front Line Cashier (Current Employee) –  Ancaster, ON21 March 2017
Day to day can get repetitive. You can ask to job shadow in other departments but they won't raise your pay based off your experience. Some managers are great and are good leaders, while some are just power hungry and definitely NOT customer service material. Workplace culture is good, employees get lots of treats during the month and fun activities. The hardest part of the job is standing on your feet and dealing with irate customers, it's not so bad though. The pay isn't the greatest but is better than most minimum wage jobs. The most enjoyable part about the job is definitely the people that work there, everyone is usually very friendly.
Pros
Free treats, activities, some benefits
Cons
low wages, lots of random shifts
You get to learn new things
Millworks Specialty Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 January 2017
Working at this job you get to learn a lot of new things about home improvment whether it is in door and windows, or electrical. Coworkers are very good to work with especially when there are a lot of customers and need assistance and help all of them in a timely manner. Managers were very encouraging, even if you werent good at a certain skill. The hardest part of the job was being in steel toe boots for 9 hours a day, it really put a lot of stress on my heels. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to help customers find the best solution for their home improvement needs.
Pros
Helping customers
Cons
Concrete floor, hard on feet
Fun and challenging work place
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 January 2017
The Home Depot was filled with friendly co-workers who were never shy to give a helping hand. The atmosphere was great with hard working individuals in each department and in management. It was rewarding when you saw a smile pop up on a customers face after you had helped them find what they were looking for. The Home Depot was a great job!
Pros
Friendly atmosphere
Cons
Frustrated customers at times
Great Company
Specialty Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB11 March 2017
I bled orange. I loved this place. I just didn't get the support I needed when I needed it while dealing with a personal issue. The company was losing focus on the importance of engaged and present associates. There were never enough associates on the floor to get the job done. Customer service was suffering at times. I loved working with the customers and solving problems

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Home Depot. Our community is ready to answer.