The Home Depot Employee Reviews

Found 1,416 reviews matching the search
workplace with almost every form of construction
lot/plumber (Current Employee) –  Pickering, ON19 January 2017
good workplace with excellent benefits, a good way to improve on customer service. in the home depot we are very big on practical work while providing excellent customer service.
poor hours and frustrating environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC19 January 2017
Not a positive retail experience as either an employee or customer. will not go back to work for them. what else is thur to know?
You get to learn new things
Millworks Specialty Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 January 2017
Working at this job you get to learn a lot of new things about home improvment whether it is in door and windows, or electrical. Coworkers are very good to work with especially when there are a lot of customers and need assistance and help all of them in a timely manner. Managers were very encouraging, even if you werent good at a certain skill. The hardest part of the job was being in steel toe boots for 9 hours a day, it really put a lot of stress on my heels. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to help customers find the best solution for their home improvement needs.
Pros
Helping customers
Cons
Concrete floor, hard on feet
Great work environment and working with great people
Head Cashier (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 January 2017
Home Depot will probably be one of the best jobs I will ever have. The people are great and the values of the company are shown every day.
Fun place to work
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC18 January 2017
Nice people and very accepting in all ways, you wouldn't ever think you could remember over 150 peoples names but at some point you'll meet and know everyone
Pros
people, outside of work gatherings, pay and bonus.
Cons
hours can be short given
Nice job culture
Merchandise Execution Team Member (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB17 January 2017
Enjoyed working at the Home Depot, greeting customers, learning about the different type of products in the store, some days will be hectic with customers but that is how working retail is. I enjoyed it.
Pros
Friendly work place
Cons
Gets boring sometimes
Gained experience managing 4 departments
Departments Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 January 2017
At this time I prefer to not comment on Home Depot and will come back at a later date to do so. I have experience in supervising various departments such as Electrical, Flooring, Decor/ Blinds and Paint.
Pros
excellent staff and clientale
Cons
Shift work
productive and energetic!
Picker/RF Scanner (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 January 2017
Working with home depot was great while it lasted! learned and picked up quick. It is a Big environment, you get too see all that home depot has to offer!
Fun workplace with the right management.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 January 2017
There are many things about Home Depot that are great. Benefits, company BBQs, cheap Christmas parties and fun events, Team Depot which helps communities in need.

However, it is very hard to get a raise and when given your yearly raise, it is not one that you would be proud of. Also depending on management chosen at your location, your work environment will either be very fun or very stressful (as with most places).

I find the more you work, the harder you work, and the more money you make the company, the less you are appreciated. "Homer Awards" are often given to favorites, or for newer employees, doing simple tasks. The moment you increase your value as an employee, they do not care as much.

On your 6 month reviews, they often only look at what you need to improve on (which for me, was always minor things) instead of what you did well (which for me, was very many things).

Personally, I think this is a great place for people who are retired and need some extra money or time out of the house, an entry level job(s) for young people who want to figure out what field of work they would like to go into, or people who truly just want to help people and have a great attitude with customer service (as the people who purely help customers and do not do any other tasks are most favored).
Pros
benefits, company BBQs, awards.
Cons
shift work, favoritism, bad feedback.
Lot Associate/Garden Recovery (Former Employee) –  Okotoks, AB13 January 2017
I had fun working there. I learned a lot about the renovation world and home improvement. I really enjoyed the staff and camaraderie.
Fun place to work
Specialty Associate (Part Time) (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON13 January 2017
Amazing co workers and a great place to work if you are in school and looking to work part-time. At my specific location, there are events all the time and the management is understanding.
it was okay
Fulfillment/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  East York, ON12 January 2017
a typical day is stocking and shelving as well as basic customeservice during operation hours. other shifts included the same thing but during non operational hours
Pros
the job was simple and easy
Cons
it was short and contract
Supervisor/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON12 January 2017
Place orders supervise departments
Co workers helpful when needed
Insuring all tasks are completed
Working with kids work shop
Pros
Na
Cons
Na
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kelowna BC12 January 2017
I loved working in the seasonal department and only stopped to take the summer of for a well needed break. We then moved to Summerland BC. Miss working in the seasonal department and all of the associates that work at the Home Depot. It is a great place to work where everyone cares for each other.
Pros
great staff appreciation
Cons
steel toed shoes and cement floors
boring place to work
appliance sales (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 January 2017
don't waste your time working at The home depot, management will yell at you, difficult to get more than 4 hours/week, co-workers were nice but nearly everyone I worked with hated their job. They have the highest turnover rate I've ever seen.
Pros
not much
Cons
4 hrs per week
Productive workplace
Lumber associate (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON11 January 2017
A typical workday of a lumber associate at Home Depot includes flattening lumber, helping customers figure out what products they need for their project and their locations, measure and cut lumber and plywood, receiving orders and cleaning up the workspace.
educational place to work
cashier and customer service (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON11 January 2017
Working at Home Depot was a fun job. It was a great place to work as a cashier. Everyone at Home Depot was helpful and would teach you new things. I liked dealing with the customers on a daily bases.
Positive environment kept clean and safe.
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 January 2017
Home Depot's pay and hours given to workers seemed a bit unfair but the coworkers/managers were polite and easy to get along with. During my time working there I felt I was in a safe environment surrounded by lots of positive energy and enthusiastic people.
Pros
Friendly coworkers
Cons
Short hours.
Great place to work with a family environment
Head Cashier and Hardware Associate (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS8 January 2017
Working at the Home Depot is a great experience. It is a fun place to work at and there is a great chance for bettering yourself. The focus on customer service at Home Depot has allowed me to build my interpersonal skills that I believe will be a great help in any and all my future plans.
Pros
Benefits even for part time
friendly
Home Depot Lott Associate (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC8 January 2017
All associates that work at the home depot are friendly and caring. Working there has given me many opportunities and has opened me up to talk to more customers with out being shy. I learned a lot working there, i have worked in many departments and have experienced different type of work and have worked with many people throughout my time in the company