The Home Depot Employee Reviews in Canada

Found 1,239 reviews matching the search
Orange life behind the apron
Project Support Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ONJune 22, 2016
Exceedingly high call volume, difficult to catch one's breath between calls. The stress related to some poor project planning has added to an already challenging role. If it were not for great co-workers and a supportive supervisory team, the churn would be much higher. The hardest part of the job is knowing that many of the challenges could be avoided with a better better proactive approach. The best part of the job, is the end of one's shift.
Great people, great experience, excellent benefits.
Various Positions (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 23, 2016
I enjoyed day to day work, of course responsibilities differ from department to department. Management was very easy to get along with. Co-workers were the most diverse I've experienced, opportunities for literally anyone, cultural and ethnic diversity is frequently celebrated, LGBT diversity and acceptance is celebrated, even physical diversity is encouraged, three of my co-workers are handicapped, and even two were in wheelchairs. The hardest part of the job regrettably was that it was still a strict corporate environment, with little to no tolerance in attendance issues. The most enjoyable part was definitely the people i got to meet and interact with.
Its a productive and fun place to work we have access to wiffi, internet, computers anytime we on lunch, breaks etc
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONJuly 13, 2016
I love working at the Home depot. We get profit sharing and safety questionaires to updated us alway
Pros
We have lots of priveledges to cross trained in any department, we have choices of 60 mins or 30 mins lunches, bbq and christmas parties every year, paid meeting etc.
Cons
Not able to get hired full time, its mostly partime positions, hardly any fulltime positions available.
Productive workplace, but no room/opportunity for promotion or advancement in my hours
Lot Associate (Former Employee) –  Owen Sound, ONJuly 14, 2016
Overall my experience was good, but I did not see any room to expand in their ranks, and I was not receiving the hours I needed. My co-workers were overall very personable and friendly, I got along well with everyone. However, there were some that I felt did not pull their weight. The most enjoyable part of my job was when I was able to help someone find what they needed and leave our store happy.
Pros
Freindily staff, I often felt like I always find a job that needed to be done.
Cons
There was no oppertonity for advancement in pay or hours
A good place to work but needs more better hours
Sales associate and back room support (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 8, 2016
A good place to work every day there was something new especially with customers, always new opportunities to find something to do, and never bored. I learned new features in the products that they sell and gave advice on flooring, kitchen and bath and seasonal department. Plus, gave support in the back room on delivery, receiving, shipping, and moving products around the store for display. There was always an opportunity to work in any department but needs a better schedule. The most enjoyable part is that the customers come back looking for you and your advice because they enjoyed your service and attitude which was always friendly and with a smile.
Cons
better hours
Productive and positive workplace
Front End Sales and Paint Associate (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONJune 7, 2016
Learn a lot of everyday necessities. Gain experience handling customer problems. My job responsibilities include building relationships with customers and contractors to ensure a great customer experience and both win-win situation for the company and the customer. I have been in many difficult situations where I have to figure out solutions to different problems independently, not stopping until some resolution has been made.
My time with Home Depot
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJune 15, 2016
The staff were easy to get along with, however I found that the management wasn't very coordinated. The workplace conditions were fine if a little disorganized at times. I found the hardest part of the job was putting up with the monotony of the routine and the lack of proper training, often you're left to fend for yourself. I enjoyed being around the other staff and customers as we got along quite well.
Pros
The people
Cons
Lack of hours
Decent job
Lumber/Seasonal (Current Employee) –  Spruce Grove, ABJune 2, 2016
Good team effort among the associates although it is poorly managed. The assistant managers tell you what to do and expect it done without considering what else lies ahead of you. After finishing the task, another supervisor or assistant manager will tell you they want it differently resulting in a very little efficient working environment. The employees are either good or bad to work with. You very seldom deal with a bad customer, but when you do it isn't fun.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
Working with some individuals who aren't the easiest to work with.
Easy going, fun place to work
Paint Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONJune 7, 2016
I really enjoy working for the Home Depot for my amazing coworkers, and all the benefits that come with the job. When the company is successful there are often free lunches, and fun things done for the associates. I really like that Home Depot is very transparent with their employees by letting associates know of sales that the store has been making.
Pros
Free lunches, great coworkers
Cons
Unreliable hours, and scheduling
Great team environment
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  St. Albert, ABMay 27, 2016
Very physical & customer service driven. No two days are the same. Currently I supervise & work beside my team doing returns, signing out orders, handling deliveries and install queries. I have learned that working in a retail environment can be very satisfying & always interesting. Excellent support from co-workers & management. The physicality of the job is taking it's tole. Our customers are great & working with them to complete their projects is the best part of the job.
Pros
Working with customers
Cons
Long hours/shift work
Great if you would like to learn so new skills. Poor for anything else.
Paint Associate (Former Employee) –  Orleans, ONMay 20, 2016
This is a standard retail job. You can learn a lot about maintaining a home if you get put in the right position. However if you have a close friends and family, are looking to pay the bills without stress of a fluctuating paycheck, or looking for some structure in your life, this isn't the job for you unless you plan to get into management.
Pros
Good staff
Cons
Bad management, poor pay, poor hours, poor hr.
There is a great emphasis on "teamwork" and an understanding of the company policies and procedures
Customer Service Associate, and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Spruce Grove, ABMay 17, 2016
I enjoyed the fact that when I did begin my employment with Home Depot, there was a great amount of training to advance my skills and make me more knowledgeable of my position. There was a lot of support from co-workers and Management
Pros
Training, free lunches and inservices
Cons
customer service desk was at times "stressful", as unlike cashier who simply runs purchases through till, Customer Service basically deals with returns and unhappy customers
Typical Big Box Company
Merchandising Execution Team (Former Employee) –  Langford, BCJune 19, 2016
I worked for home depot for approximately 4 years. They offer benefits to both part-time and full-time employees which is nice. The wage and hours are pretty on par with any other "big box" company.
Pros
They have a lot of free/inexpensive lunch days and celebrate "Cashier Appreciation Month"
Cons
Long hours, seldom enough trained staff and never enough hours to go around for all the staff.
Fun atmosphere, friendly customers
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONMay 19, 2016
Typical day: customer service, refilling low stock, some tasking, setting up display patio furniture, safety spotting heavy machinery

Learned about merchandise (which is always useful since they sell home improvement equipment and necessities) and garden care in the Garden Centre.

Management were supportive and friendly, but there were occasionally communication issues.

Hardest part of the job: there is a lot to know about a lot of merchandise, (in any department), heavy lifting.

Most enjoyable part of the job: friendly co-workers, helping customers and solving problems.
Pros
Some free lunches, management awards good work, happy atmosphere
Cons
Not many tasks during off-peak hours, hours can go late (11 pm), hectic during peak hours
Good for Management, that's about it.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BCMay 5, 2016
My time at Home Depot was an insight into what Managment is suppose to do, and thats not because of excellent work. There was more concern over corporate politics and favouritism then anything else, leaving people at the bottom of the chain either paranoid of making mistakes or so safeguarded by their higher ups that they could do next to nothing for eight hours with no consequence.The only upside is benifits are good for an entry level job. No matter what your work ethic or customer service skill though, Home Depot will make you feel like just another disposible cog in the machine.
Productive and fun
Sales Associate - Part-time (Current Employee) –  Regina, SKMay 4, 2016
Home depot demands high energy, evolving knowledge, on the job training and knowing the products and services. I learned a lot about home renovations and can now advise on some common projects with much ease. Awesome management that gives respect and lots of energy that trickles down to the team and keeps everyone motivated. Hardest part of the job is long hours while on any given day you can enjoy self-satisfaction.
Pros
fun place to work
Cons
outlets never close
Great place to work, people are great and decent part time pay.
Paint Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ONJuly 17, 2016
Great work culture that creates a very social and positive work area while being focused on training and great service to customers. A lot of experience in organization and team building. Part time pay is quite little and benefits and minimal.
Pros
Friendly environment with great experience.
Cons
In-consistent hours and low pay.
Productive nights, and long hours.
Freight Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBApril 26, 2016
5 days a week, 8 hours a night, I worked night shifts, every day of the week, including weekends. Co-workers were well informative, and very helpful. I learned it is very important to stay on task, and do your assigned job, as instructed to do so, without any complaints. It is important to keep a positive work attitude, and stay on track with your hours, if not, it could affect you in the long run.
Pros
Lunch Breaks were good
Cons
Long hours.
The Home Depot
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ONMay 2, 2016
The Home Depot has taught me diversity, time management, leadership, and independence.

The hardest part of the job was learning and remembering all the different departments and merchandise that comes in each said department.

The most enjoyable part of my job was definitely the customers. Home Depot has some of the most loyal, honest, kindest and understanding customers I have ever witnessed out of all my years in retail.
fun with the supportive Teams
Merchandiser Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMay 22, 2016
-stocking product to shelf so customer can buy their needs, i learned that no matter what customer is always right and you have to value their opinion,the management is good too.very supportive to the employee to the work standard,the team is very supportive o each other,the hardest part of the job is is you have to get up so early to work,i always enjoy with my job