The Home Depot Employee Reviews

Found 1,364 reviews matching the search
BS place to to work
seasonal associate/cashier (Current Employee) –  Stoney Creek, ON27 November 2016
My first store I worked at amazing loved it... now I'm in a new store new department... trained me on nothing I get written up over stupid things they should have trained me on but didn't and bloody head cashiers and managers can be really rude and unhelpful. I find they get mad over things that I can't control as well as they believe they trained me on BUT DID NOT... never get a weekend off unpredictable hrs
Pros
Cons
No weekends rude coworkers and don't train properly
Average Working Environment
Bookkeeper (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 November 2016
Working at this company has been quite a rewarding experience. I have developed strong customer service skills. Management at The Home Depot is somewhat good, sometimes a lack of communication between associates and management can be the most difficult part of my job because when there is no communication, it creates a stressful work environment.
The most enjoyable part of my job is working with my co-workers. They are quite a helpful bunch of associates. Also, sometimes we would get free lunches. So, it's nice to feel appreciated!
Pros
Free Lunches/profit sharing
Cons
Stressful environment and poor communication between management and associates
Productive Work place
Cashier/Seasonal Associate (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, AB30 November 2016
While working at Home Depot, I was treated fairly and equally. The hardest part of being a cashier was the repetition but the best part was socializing with customers and making sure they left happy. I found near the end of my career at the Home Depot was that I wasn't given enough hours and enough pay in order to continue working there.
Pros
On holidays we had to work we got fed fun lunches, and I got to work and meet awesome people and gain new retail experience.
Cons
Not enough hours
Great people, terrible pay/appreciation
Seasonal and Paint Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON28 November 2016
It's a great place to work part time, especially as a student. Great people, flexible, lots of support and understanding from management. However, pay increases are extremely minimal. Hours are seasonal and not reliable. Even as a phenomenal employee, appreciation comes in the form of meaningless badges and lip service. It would be better if they rewarded good employees with livable hours and wages instead of giving them a meaningless award.
Pros
Excellent work environment
Cons
Insufficent hours and pay
fun place to work and very satisfying
Lot Associate (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC29 November 2016
i throughly enjoyed working for home depot for 2 and a half years. the customers are awsome and the standards of customer service they uphold are amazing. staff is very understanding if you have dissabilities, and the room for advancement is great to. the hardest part of the job would have to be making sure you are psycicaly fit to lift excess weight. the most enjoyable part is helping coustomers with there projects and having the self satisfaction of knowing you helped people alot of times there dream project. i highly recomend working for home depot if you enjoy customer service and taking that extra step to ensure there happy with there experience.
We always had fun events for our Colleagues and family
Assistant Manager/Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON30 November 2016
As a Store Manager my day was always always exciting and unpredictable.Loved getting to know the customers and taking care of them. Loved hiring new colleagues and developing them. We always had great moral and worked as a team. No Union. As long as we were making our #'s we were left alone to make our own decisions.
Hardest part is letting some one go when you hired them.
Best part was getting to know the customer and colleagues and the freedom to be as creative as I wanted to be.
Pros
Colleagues events, Free lunches
Very good team inter department relations
Associé aux ventes, spécialiste dép. plomberie (Current Employee) –  St-Henri, Montreal QC18 October 2016
Good working atmosphere with colleagues and management.
On going "Formation" keeps us informed on new technologies.
Management always try to improve well being.
Slow supply line makes it difficult to do your work fully and the lack of local power is difficult for direct management to address problems.
It's a big machine with slow response time.
Pros
Many social and training activities organized for employees
Cons
Slow response time on supply, lack of local management power, schedule limitations and restrictions
Productive workplace with many materials to manage
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON12 October 2016
Worked in the garden centre and inside seasonal
Gained a lot of of experience about summer seasonal items, such as bbq's, lawnmowers, trimmers, etc. Learned many things about a garden, plants, taking care of your lawn.

Management was good, very experienced and easy to communicate with, co-workers were all the same.

Hardest part was helping many customers all at once, at The Home Depot it is a very busy place and customers expect you to do something for you quickly, so adapting to that environment was very helpful.
Pros
Benefits, breaks with pay, fun experience
Cons
Taking care of many things at once
Focus on Training Time
Special Services Associate (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC18 October 2016
It often it so busy and understaffed, that proper training was basically impossible. Management expected you to know how to do everything after a month of being on floor. What happens is it is quiet and you are being taught how to do a complex order on the system. However, then many customers come and the trainer finishes the process without you, as you are now paying attention to the customers. Thus, you learn how to start the process, but never finish.

However coworkers were wonderful and more helpful.

Most enjoyable part was the free food on some days and the amount of break time they gave you based off hours. Often understaffed in most departments.
Pros
Free food
Cons
needs dedicated time for actual proper training
Not bad of a work day if your not in need to pay bills
Sales Associate level 2 (Current Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB28 October 2016
The job itself is not too bad and the manager are not the best but they are good at what they do. Your hours can get cut but they will do what they can to improve them. You sort of get the chance to pick your own wage but has long as you have long experience of working in sales. But they do not increase your wage that much and you get arise once a year, you basically have to relied on profit sharing which I find is a joke for the company to not pay you more money and everyone seems to be convince that it is the best thing but its not which means you have to hit target each day that you are here. Be aware of lot of change when you come to work here.
Pros
Free meals once in a while
Cons
Have to relied on profit sharing a lot to make money
strict environment but good place to work
Lot Attendant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 November 2016
Try not to get a job in lot unless you can handle very cold and very warm weather. It can become very boring in lot. And some of the head cashiers can be extremely rude especially if you are standing still and just conversing with co-workers, it is also kind of a dead end job for most because they won't usually let you leave that department for another one
Pros
some equipment in supplied
Cons
not a lot of hours
A well rewarding entry-level job.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON25 October 2016
Though the job can get boring at times, and the pay is lackluster at best, the job itself and benefits are good enough for an entry level job. The issue I have with the job is that I came to it with 5 years of experience in my field, and I was not given any form of pay raise for that experience, though I consistently outsell my quotas.
Pros
Good benefits, relaxed environment.
Cons
Boring tedious work, lack of advancement
Busy with many work ralleys
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON2 October 2016
Always busy with customers whether at 6am or closing hours, learned a lot about certain machinery as well as customer service. Everybody was such a pleasure to work with, always positive and helpful. Most difficult was standing on concrete the concrete floor with safety boots, but was always given a break. Always enjoyed interacting with the customers and building a bond with them. Always loved to have regular customers specifically ask for me.
Pros
festivities and food
Cons
standing on the concrete ground
Proactive and fun workplace managers are great. Customers can
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 September 2016
The Home Depot is a good place to work for the right person, you have to be patient with the customers and very tolerant. It is a great place to learn about construction or whichever department you are placed in. There is ample room for advancement in the company and your co-workers do well to reward hard work.
Pros
Company meetings and functions are a blast
Cons
Customers are usually very rude, especially to new hires whilst they are still learning.
All about Customer Service
Service Desk Associate (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON29 September 2016
Throughout the day I will answer customer calls, perform customer returns, help and fix customer issues with orders and installs. I have learned a lot about the type of customer service that The Home Depot abides by. No matter the cost or if the customer is seriously in the wrong just do whatever makes them happy to leave the store.
Pros
Contests, success sharing
Cons
Long hours, rude customers
Great co-workers, Great benefits
Lot Associate (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON6 September 2016
my co-workers were the best part about that job they always wanted everyone to succeed and would go out of their way help,

I was part time but i got benefits that most places would only give to full time employees.

the hardest part of the job was finding the products that where still on the shelfs.

the management could have been better, there was a lot of miscommunication between management, it was mostly miss scheduled days or things being moved and no one being told where.
Pros
family freindly/ can plan your job around your life
Cons
A typical shift from consulting to retail
Service Desk Associate (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke South1 September 2016
After spending almost 6 years in Consulting industry, I was very much worried to start another new career in Retail. However the experience is not at all as I was expecting. I am doing good and I can actually invest the knowledge that I have learned in Consulting. Such as, leadership, time management, work ethics. Because these are normal and easy to use anywhere. My regular day at job spends with customers and my associates. I have learned how to be polite, be patient, be fast yet be perfect. I am ready to move and continue my Consulting career where I have left, with all these learning from Retail and I am excited.
Good place to work with the prospects of future advancement
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 August 2016
- great coworkers and warm, open-minded environment
- opportunities to grow in the store/ transferring to the headquarters
- comparatively low pay that is hardly negotiable
- higher salary expectations in the headquarter positions
- management is positive and very helpful in career growth strategies
- sometimes poorly administered health and safety policies (like not informing employees about harm of not wearing mask when handling concrete and not giving masks unless directly requested)
Although frustrating it is a great place to work.
Lot Associate (Current Employee) –  Ontario2 October 2016
It is not my intention to stay with Home Depot Canada for an extended amount of time to consider it my career, but if I did not have a plan ahead of myself it would suit well for a career. After working with the Home Depot throughout my post-secondary education, I have now been able to take on a bigger role within the Front-End of the store I am currently at. Through the guidance of management, I went from only working on Lot, to being trained as a cashier, and now a tool rental associate all within a 3-4 month period. Many department supervisors are offering to have me trained in their departments, and I have seen many people who apply themselves to their workplace see the same offers being given to them.
Pros
coworkers, personable management, simplistic work
Cons
constantly asking for hours
Productive and fun place to work.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, AB26 August 2016
A very nice and friendly co - workers. Providing good hours and free treat with co - workers. Intelligent easy job and very accurate job. I've learned to be accurate in things and be specific. The hardest part of this job is only when you encountered a problem with your friendly customer. The most enjoyable of this job is being around with friendly people, providing and supporting me for giving me a good hours and encourage me to keep on some of my talents.
Pros
Free lunch