The Home Depot Employee Reviews

Found 1,416 reviews matching the search
Don't go into management
Human Resources Manager (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC8 October 2016
Continually expected to work 10 to 12 hours per day, they claim they don't but they schedule you for mandatory meetings that extend your day.
Expected to be checking emails and give your personal cell for contact on your time off.
Very low salary/pay, benefits ok, but the bonuses are no where near what they promise. No one I met has ever received the promised 25% even if they exceed sales plan.
They don't fire people often so job security is pretty good but then you have to work with below par employees that should have been fired in their probationary period.
Everyone is tired. There is no work/life balance and this impacts the culture.
It is a retail environment so most people are upbeat and ready to give good customer service which can look deceiving. Look deeper and you will see the reality.
benefits
Cons
almost everything else.
Okay workplace with poor management
Paint/Lot Associate (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, ON15 October 2016
The Home Depot is overall a good company. They offer various benefits not only for full-time employees but also part-time employees. These include health and dental, tuition reimbursement, and more.
Management depends on location. I was at the Woodbridge, ON location and management was deplorable. There were one or two that employees approved of and the rest were arrogant, excessively bossy, rude to employees, and overall not at all understanding that things happen that affect one's efficiency.
There were instances where a customer made a false accusation toward me (such as being rude) and the manager wouldn't even hear my side of things. I got yelled at in front of customers for something that wasn't even my fault, reprimanded wrongfully, and more.
Pros
Tuition reimbursement for students, benefits, breaks
Cons
Management, long hours, inconsistent schedules
Great part-time job, could have used more employee training though
Specialty Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON26 September 2016
I was a part-time sales associate at Home Depot for 5 years and while every job has it's ups and downs, for the most part, I enjoyed my position. Great culture and friendly colleagues. The only downfall was that getting a promotion or raise was often very difficult and recognition for going above and beyond was almost always unheard of. I was trained in 4 different departments as well as forklift certified and I never received a raise for my added skill set. I also wish there was more product training as often if asked about the quality of one product over another, we were unable to give customers a definitive answer.
Pros
Profit sharing, volunteer opportunities and community involvement. Opportunities to work in different departments
Cons
Little to no product training, little room for promotions and lack of raises.
Productive workplace with many materials to manage
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON12 October 2016
Worked in the garden centre and inside seasonal
Gained a lot of of experience about summer seasonal items, such as bbq's, lawnmowers, trimmers, etc. Learned many things about a garden, plants, taking care of your lawn.

Management was good, very experienced and easy to communicate with, co-workers were all the same.

Hardest part was helping many customers all at once, at The Home Depot it is a very busy place and customers expect you to do something for you quickly, so adapting to that environment was very helpful.
Pros
Benefits, breaks with pay, fun experience
Cons
Taking care of many things at once
Good place to work with the prospects of future advancement
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 August 2016
- great coworkers and warm, open-minded environment
- opportunities to grow in the store/ transferring to the headquarters
- comparatively low pay that is hardly negotiable
- higher salary expectations in the headquarter positions
- management is positive and very helpful in career growth strategies
- sometimes poorly administered health and safety policies (like not informing employees about harm of not wearing mask when handling concrete and not giving masks unless directly requested)
Great co-workers, Great benefits
Lot Associate (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON6 September 2016
my co-workers were the best part about that job they always wanted everyone to succeed and would go out of their way help,

I was part time but i got benefits that most places would only give to full time employees.

the hardest part of the job was finding the products that where still on the shelfs.

the management could have been better, there was a lot of miscommunication between management, it was mostly miss scheduled days or things being moved and no one being told where.
Pros
family freindly/ can plan your job around your life
Cons
A well rewarding entry-level job.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON25 October 2016
Though the job can get boring at times, and the pay is lackluster at best, the job itself and benefits are good enough for an entry level job. The issue I have with the job is that I came to it with 5 years of experience in my field, and I was not given any form of pay raise for that experience, though I consistently outsell my quotas.
Pros
Good benefits, relaxed environment.
Cons
Boring tedious work, lack of advancement
Fun workplace with the right management.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 January 2017
There are many things about Home Depot that are great. Benefits, company BBQs, cheap Christmas parties and fun events, Team Depot which helps communities in need.

However, it is very hard to get a raise and when given your yearly raise, it is not one that you would be proud of. Also depending on management chosen at your location, your work environment will either be very fun or very stressful (as with most places).

I find the more you work, the harder you work, and the more money you make the company, the less you are appreciated. "Homer Awards" are often given to favorites, or for newer employees, doing simple tasks. The moment you increase your value as an employee, they do not care as much.

On your 6 month reviews, they often only look at what you need to improve on (which for me, was always minor things) instead of what you did well (which for me, was very many things).

Personally, I think this is a great place for people who are retired and need some extra money or time out of the house, an entry level job(s) for young people who want to figure out what field of work they would like to go into, or people who truly just want to help people and have a great attitude with customer service (as the people who purely help customers and do not do any other tasks are most favored).
Pros
benefits, company BBQs, awards.
Cons
shift work, favoritism, bad feedback.
Productive establishment, teaching great fundamentals to its employees
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON4 June 2016
A typical day at work for me was, exciting as I was always learning new methods and techniques to providing great customer service. In addition learning how to be an excellent sales representative,

In regards to management and co workers, I was able to use the skills that I have learned from other jobs and school;. in order to co operate, learn, and excel at being a team player with initiative.

I would not say that there was a hard part of the job, but the most challenging part of the job was initially handling the customers frustrations with the self checkout machine

The most enjoyable part of the job, was that I was able to use my degree as a way to connect with customers. I.E having conversations about certain topics in order to make them feel more comfortable with their time at the store.
Pros
part time benefits
Cons
competitor promotion matching
I had a lot of jobs within the company,which made it possible to have a lot of experience in any type of job I would be interested in the future.
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 June 2016
I have worked as a Cashier for awhile then I had moved onto a Head cashier for a bit,running a team of cashiers/lot personnel. Also had worked in the vault which carried a float of 30,000 dollars a day. Which then moved me to Customer Service/Returns. At the end of my career at Home Depot for about three years,I did return to vendor. So not only working as associate to serve the customer,I also had the opportunity to work with the vendor part of the store. The hardest part of the job was scheduling for a team of associates,part/full timers. I would have to say working with a lot of cultures would be the best part of the day.
Pros
Paid benefits package as well as 2 weeks paid holiday
Cons
no room to make more money even though each job was different and had different qualifications
Great opportunity to work at
Customer Service/cashiers (Current Employee) –  1983 Kipling avenue1 November 2016
Great opportunity to work at
Great opportunity to learn
about what the company can offer
Good benefits and values
More career opportunity
Busy work place
Company took care of their people
Respect others
None races
Pros
Profit sharing, salary increase after reviews
Cons
Minimal hours
Great place to work with a family environment
Head Cashier and Hardware Associate (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS8 January 2017
Working at the Home Depot is a great experience. It is a fun place to work at and there is a great chance for bettering yourself. The focus on customer service at Home Depot has allowed me to build my interpersonal skills that I believe will be a great help in any and all my future plans.
Pros
Benefits even for part time
2 out of 5
Front End Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Saanich, BC23 November 2016
After 17 years of service i was treated very poorly upon leaving. The management is disrespectful and narrow minded. It was a nice place to work while raising my family but it was uncomfortable to work in an atmosphere that doesn't foster growth of an individual.
Pros
friendly staff
Cons
compensation
Fun place to work, but severly cutting working hours during slack season like winter.
Cashier II (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC14 December 2016
Typical day of work is fun. Co-workers were nice. I learned how to handle a difficult customer. Management sometimes were demanding.
Pros
Great benefits for part-timers
Cons
During winter, shift schedule is very minimal
Productive and fun place to work
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON10 December 2016
Enjoy working at Home Depot in the past 91/2 month I have won many gift certificates for my achievement , I have also been the associate of the month 2 months in a row, I enjoy the people and the customers, I am working at Home Depot because I have 2 kids in University and I want to help them out financially
Pros
great benifits
Cons
there is none
Great people, terrible management
Sale Associate (Current Employee) –  Mckenzie,Calgary, AB5 January 2017
Enjoy working with customers.Always eager to learn new products. Multi tasked and provided the best plus 1 customer service.
I'm extremely disappointed with the way management treat the employees.
Pros
Good medical benefits
Cons
management
Friendly place to work, very accommodating management, great support.
Cashier/ Customer Service Rep/ Returns - Part-Time (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB28 July 2016
A typical day involved providing excellent customer service, and making sure the clients needs were met or exceeded. Management was very supportive with answering questions and resolving problems. The staff and coworkers always worked together as a team.
Most enjoyable was the interaction with clients and staff alike.
Pros
Flexibility of the job. Benefits for part-time workers.
Part time with no room to grow
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  London, ON10 December 2016
The job isn't overly hard, but the pay is low and the hours suck. They expect you to be available 24/7 but only hand out 10-20 hours a week.

Pay is minimum wage, no perks or discounts. Some of the department supervisors expect sooooooo much for so little pay.
Pros
easy work - your pretty much your own boss there
Cons
pay, benefits, hours
excellant work environment
Vault Associate (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ON14 December 2016
Working here I thoroughly enjoyed my co-workers as I was a Vault
Associate I was always in contact with the other employees. The hours of operation were the best and work never seemed like work.
Benefits
Cons
You had to be proactive and work in a couple departments to gain full time hours
Home depot
Kitchen Designer (Current Employee) –  Vancouver30 November 2016
Average. The salary is not that good. But the work culture is nice and supportive management.
I have learnt latest software for kitchen design.
Pros
Good medical benefits
Cons
Salary ok