The Home Depot Employee Reviews

Found 1,492 reviews matching the search
Exceptional safety standards and teamwork.
Inventory Management and Receiving (Operations) (Former Employee) –  Spruce Grove, AB22 February 2017
Home Depot prides themselves on teamwork and communication. The main focus is always on keeping customers and staff happy. Great community to be apart of, and admirable devotion to being involved in their residential communities. Regular donations to Habit for Humanity and The Orange Door Project for youth homeless. Associates are encouraged and expected to strive to learn more and take charge. Customer satisfaction is guaranteed number one.
Pros
Great benefits, Recognition program, Safety standards, Work environment, and Communication
Cons
Undesirable turn over rate, Major operational cutbacks to prioritize customer service, Non-competitive wages and raises, Not as likely to promote suitable candidates from within.
Most positions are part-time, pay isn't the greatest, good company culture
Front Line Cashier (Current Employee) –  Ancaster, ON21 March 2017
Day to day can get repetitive. You can ask to job shadow in other departments but they won't raise your pay based off your experience. Some managers are great and are good leaders, while some are just power hungry and definitely NOT customer service material. Workplace culture is good, employees get lots of treats during the month and fun activities. The hardest part of the job is standing on your feet and dealing with irate customers, it's not so bad though. The pay isn't the greatest but is better than most minimum wage jobs. The most enjoyable part about the job is definitely the people that work there, everyone is usually very friendly.
Pros
Free treats, activities, some benefits
Cons
low wages, lots of random shifts
Don't go into management
Human Resources Manager (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC8 October 2016
Continually expected to work 10 to 12 hours per day, they claim they don't but they schedule you for mandatory meetings that extend your day.
Expected to be checking emails and give your personal cell for contact on your time off.
Very low salary/pay, benefits ok, but the bonuses are no where near what they promise. No one I met has ever received the promised 25% even if they exceed sales plan.
They don't fire people often so job security is pretty good but then you have to work with below par employees that should have been fired in their probationary period.
Everyone is tired. There is no work/life balance and this impacts the culture.
It is a retail environment so most people are upbeat and ready to give good customer service which can look deceiving. Look deeper and you will see the reality.
benefits
Cons
almost everything else.
great mixture of pay, benefits, and schedule flexibility
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 February 2017
For the three years I worked there I made life long friendships and maintained an incredible working relationship with all my bosses. Home Depot has competitive starting wages and the benefits are something i still haven't seen even in my professional career after college. The company sees each employee as an individual and tries their best to accommodate and appreciate each employee as such.
Pros
benefits, paid store meetings, flexible hours
Cons
weekends are mandatory
Okay workplace with poor management
Paint/Lot Associate (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, ON15 October 2016
The Home Depot is overall a good company. They offer various benefits not only for full-time employees but also part-time employees. These include health and dental, tuition reimbursement, and more.
Management depends on location. I was at the Woodbridge, ON location and management was deplorable. There were one or two that employees approved of and the rest were arrogant, excessively bossy, rude to employees, and overall not at all understanding that things happen that affect one's efficiency.
There were instances where a customer made a false accusation toward me (such as being rude) and the manager wouldn't even hear my side of things. I got yelled at in front of customers for something that wasn't even my fault, reprimanded wrongfully, and more.
Pros
Tuition reimbursement for students, benefits, breaks
Cons
Management, long hours, inconsistent schedules
A good job, but not good money.
Hardware Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB26 January 2017
The training at Home Depot is extensive and paid, but the best way to learn is on the sales floor. The work can often be stressful, but the workplace culture is generally pleasant and makes it easier to help customers with excellence. Management offers help and advice but delegates a lot of tasks, and there is very little promotion from within the company. Pay does not increase with minimum wage, so seniority does not mean best pay, in fact it's the opposite.
great culture to work in
Department Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 March 2017
very supportive HR and management team, good culture to work in and opportunities for advancement. Great Training, great benefits and good work/life balance!

Although I only spent a short time working with them, I would go back there if the right opportunity arose.
Great part-time job, could have used more employee training though
Specialty Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON26 September 2016
I was a part-time sales associate at Home Depot for 5 years and while every job has it's ups and downs, for the most part, I enjoyed my position. Great culture and friendly colleagues. The only downfall was that getting a promotion or raise was often very difficult and recognition for going above and beyond was almost always unheard of. I was trained in 4 different departments as well as forklift certified and I never received a raise for my added skill set. I also wish there was more product training as often if asked about the quality of one product over another, we were unable to give customers a definitive answer.
Pros
Profit sharing, volunteer opportunities and community involvement. Opportunities to work in different departments
Cons
Little to no product training, little room for promotions and lack of raises.
Happy Place to Work
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON31 January 2017
one of the happiest and friendliest places I've ever worked! As a cashier there are liberties that you can make that empower your decisions and there's a bit of freedom in that to make the customers happy. The pay isn't ideal but it builds every year and there are incentives to top employees. There's also a lot of room to advance from department to department so you never have to be bored with your job! There are Homer awards that employees give to each other that turn into cash advances; as someone who has worked at two different locations some stores tend to be more generous then others. There are also benefits.
Pros
Advancement
Cons
Minimum wage
Fun workplace with the right management.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 January 2017
There are many things about Home Depot that are great. Benefits, company BBQs, cheap Christmas parties and fun events, Team Depot which helps communities in need.

However, it is very hard to get a raise and when given your yearly raise, it is not one that you would be proud of. Also depending on management chosen at your location, your work environment will either be very fun or very stressful (as with most places).

I find the more you work, the harder you work, and the more money you make the company, the less you are appreciated. "Homer Awards" are often given to favorites, or for newer employees, doing simple tasks. The moment you increase your value as an employee, they do not care as much.

On your 6 month reviews, they often only look at what you need to improve on (which for me, was always minor things) instead of what you did well (which for me, was very many things).

Personally, I think this is a great place for people who are retired and need some extra money or time out of the house, an entry level job(s) for young people who want to figure out what field of work they would like to go into, or people who truly just want to help people and have a great attitude with customer service (as the people who purely help customers and do not do any other tasks are most favored).
Pros
benefits, company BBQs, awards.
Cons
shift work, favoritism, bad feedback.

Want to know more about The Home Depot?

Ask a question
Great company to Grow career with, multiple learning opportunities and different career paths.
Specialty sales Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Canada, ON17 March 2017
Home Depot is a great company to grow your knowledge and abilities at all levels.
Multiple different career avenues.
Great compensation package .
Fast paced and exciting environment, customer and results focused.
Pros
Enjoyable eniviorment, Great compensation package, career advancement
Cons
difficult schedule
Supportive and Great Environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Collingwood, ON10 December 2016
I throughly enjoyed working for this company due to the always supportive Management and co-workers as well as the safe and fun workplace environment.
Everyone who worked there was always friendly and work days were never a dull, always exciting.
The company has an amazing full time and part time benefit plan which is unheard of now a days.
As a student, Home Depot offers Tuition Reimbursement which is outstanding due to school being so expensive.

I would recommend Home Depot as a workplace always.
Pros
supportive
Cons
long hours, hard floors
Good place to work with the prospects of future advancement
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 August 2016
- great coworkers and warm, open-minded environment
- opportunities to grow in the store/ transferring to the headquarters
- comparatively low pay that is hardly negotiable
- higher salary expectations in the headquarter positions
- management is positive and very helpful in career growth strategies
- sometimes poorly administered health and safety policies (like not informing employees about harm of not wearing mask when handling concrete and not giving masks unless directly requested)
Although frustrating it is a great place to work.
Lot Associate (Current Employee) –  Ontario2 October 2016
It is not my intention to stay with Home Depot Canada for an extended amount of time to consider it my career, but if I did not have a plan ahead of myself it would suit well for a career. After working with the Home Depot throughout my post-secondary education, I have now been able to take on a bigger role within the Front-End of the store I am currently at. Through the guidance of management, I went from only working on Lot, to being trained as a cashier, and now a tool rental associate all within a 3-4 month period. Many department supervisors are offering to have me trained in their departments, and I have seen many people who apply themselves to their workplace see the same offers being given to them.
Pros
coworkers, personable management, simplistic work
Cons
constantly asking for hours
Great place to work. Love to work at Home Depot again
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Scot road. North Surrey B.C31 December 2016
Atypical day at work was very friendly co workers.Helpful cooperative, the floor manager was always there in case of any help or issues.There was not any hard day since the staff and the management was always there to help each other at times of any difficulty.the most enjoyable part of the job was when we got best cashier of the month badge which gave us to work hard and achieve goals.
Productive workplace with many materials to manage
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON12 October 2016
Worked in the garden centre and inside seasonal
Gained a lot of of experience about summer seasonal items, such as bbq's, lawnmowers, trimmers, etc. Learned many things about a garden, plants, taking care of your lawn.

Management was good, very experienced and easy to communicate with, co-workers were all the same.

Hardest part was helping many customers all at once, at The Home Depot it is a very busy place and customers expect you to do something for you quickly, so adapting to that environment was very helpful.
Pros
Benefits, breaks with pay, fun experience
Cons
Taking care of many things at once
Good job for students and pre-retiree
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Milton, ON8 February 2017
My colleagues are awesome to work with. Politics do come into play when trying to advance. Some work life balance is a bit difficult to manage with shifts being all over due to retail.

They do monitor your sales and have expectations that conflict with customer care.
Pros
Some os the greatest friends made.
Cons
work life balance for the pay
Home depot
Kitchen Designer (Current Employee) –  Vancouver30 November 2016
Average. The salary is not that good. But the work culture is nice and supportive management.
I have learnt latest software for kitchen design.
Pros
Good medical benefits
Cons
Salary ok
A typical shift from consulting to retail
Service Desk Associate (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke South1 September 2016
After spending almost 6 years in Consulting industry, I was very much worried to start another new career in Retail. However the experience is not at all as I was expecting. I am doing good and I can actually invest the knowledge that I have learned in Consulting. Such as, leadership, time management, work ethics. Because these are normal and easy to use anywhere. My regular day at job spends with customers and my associates. I have learned how to be polite, be patient, be fast yet be perfect. I am ready to move and continue my Consulting career where I have left, with all these learning from Retail and I am excited.
Typical retail job but an excellent company
Cashier, Pack Down (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, AB1 March 2017
The home depot I worked for had amazing employees. The employees is what made the customer service portion bearable. Decent pay and excellent benefits for part time and full time employees.
Pros
Work environment is excellent, Benefits for part timers
Cons
Management can be undesirable

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Home Depot. Our community is ready to answer.