The Home Depot Employee Reviews

Found 1,365 reviews matching the search
Don't go into management
Human Resources Manager (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC8 October 2016
Continually expected to work 10 to 12 hours per day, they claim they don't but they schedule you for mandatory meetings that extend your day.
Expected to be checking emails and give your personal cell for contact on your time off.
Very low salary/pay, benefits ok, but the bonuses are no where near what they promise. No one I met has ever received the promised 25% even if they exceed sales plan.
They don't fire people often so job security is pretty good but then you have to work with below par employees that should have been fired in their probationary period.
Everyone is tired. There is no work/life balance and this impacts the culture.
It is a retail environment so most people are upbeat and ready to give good customer service which can look deceiving. Look deeper and you will see the reality.
benefits
Cons
almost everything else.
Okay workplace with poor management
Paint/Lot Associate (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, ON15 October 2016
The Home Depot is overall a good company. They offer various benefits not only for full-time employees but also part-time employees. These include health and dental, tuition reimbursement, and more.
Management depends on location. I was at the Woodbridge, ON location and management was deplorable. There were one or two that employees approved of and the rest were arrogant, excessively bossy, rude to employees, and overall not at all understanding that things happen that affect one's efficiency.
There were instances where a customer made a false accusation toward me (such as being rude) and the manager wouldn't even hear my side of things. I got yelled at in front of customers for something that wasn't even my fault, reprimanded wrongfully, and more.
Pros
Tuition reimbursement for students, benefits, breaks
Cons
Management, long hours, inconsistent schedules
Great part-time job, could have used more employee training though
Specialty Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON26 September 2016
I was a part-time sales associate at Home Depot for 5 years and while every job has it's ups and downs, for the most part, I enjoyed my position. Great culture and friendly colleagues. The only downfall was that getting a promotion or raise was often very difficult and recognition for going above and beyond was almost always unheard of. I was trained in 4 different departments as well as forklift certified and I never received a raise for my added skill set. I also wish there was more product training as often if asked about the quality of one product over another, we were unable to give customers a definitive answer.
Pros
Profit sharing, volunteer opportunities and community involvement. Opportunities to work in different departments
Cons
Little to no product training, little room for promotions and lack of raises.
Good place to work with the prospects of future advancement
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 August 2016
- great coworkers and warm, open-minded environment
- opportunities to grow in the store/ transferring to the headquarters
- comparatively low pay that is hardly negotiable
- higher salary expectations in the headquarter positions
- management is positive and very helpful in career growth strategies
- sometimes poorly administered health and safety policies (like not informing employees about harm of not wearing mask when handling concrete and not giving masks unless directly requested)
Although frustrating it is a great place to work.
Lot Associate (Current Employee) –  Ontario2 October 2016
It is not my intention to stay with Home Depot Canada for an extended amount of time to consider it my career, but if I did not have a plan ahead of myself it would suit well for a career. After working with the Home Depot throughout my post-secondary education, I have now been able to take on a bigger role within the Front-End of the store I am currently at. Through the guidance of management, I went from only working on Lot, to being trained as a cashier, and now a tool rental associate all within a 3-4 month period. Many department supervisors are offering to have me trained in their departments, and I have seen many people who apply themselves to their workplace see the same offers being given to them.
Pros
coworkers, personable management, simplistic work
Cons
constantly asking for hours
Productive establishment, teaching great fundamentals to its employees
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON4 June 2016
A typical day at work for me was, exciting as I was always learning new methods and techniques to providing great customer service. In addition learning how to be an excellent sales representative,

In regards to management and co workers, I was able to use the skills that I have learned from other jobs and school;. in order to co operate, learn, and excel at being a team player with initiative.

I would not say that there was a hard part of the job, but the most challenging part of the job was initially handling the customers frustrations with the self checkout machine

The most enjoyable part of the job, was that I was able to use my degree as a way to connect with customers. I.E having conversations about certain topics in order to make them feel more comfortable with their time at the store.
Pros
part time benefits
Cons
competitor promotion matching
I had a lot of jobs within the company,which made it possible to have a lot of experience in any type of job I would be interested in the future.
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 June 2016
I have worked as a Cashier for awhile then I had moved onto a Head cashier for a bit,running a team of cashiers/lot personnel. Also had worked in the vault which carried a float of 30,000 dollars a day. Which then moved me to Customer Service/Returns. At the end of my career at Home Depot for about three years,I did return to vendor. So not only working as associate to serve the customer,I also had the opportunity to work with the vendor part of the store. The hardest part of the job was scheduling for a team of associates,part/full timers. I would have to say working with a lot of cultures would be the best part of the day.
Pros
Paid benefits package as well as 2 weeks paid holiday
Cons
no room to make more money even though each job was different and had different qualifications
A typical shift from consulting to retail
Service Desk Associate (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke South1 September 2016
After spending almost 6 years in Consulting industry, I was very much worried to start another new career in Retail. However the experience is not at all as I was expecting. I am doing good and I can actually invest the knowledge that I have learned in Consulting. Such as, leadership, time management, work ethics. Because these are normal and easy to use anywhere. My regular day at job spends with customers and my associates. I have learned how to be polite, be patient, be fast yet be perfect. I am ready to move and continue my Consulting career where I have left, with all these learning from Retail and I am excited.
Productive workplace with many materials to manage
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON12 October 2016
Worked in the garden centre and inside seasonal
Gained a lot of of experience about summer seasonal items, such as bbq's, lawnmowers, trimmers, etc. Learned many things about a garden, plants, taking care of your lawn.

Management was good, very experienced and easy to communicate with, co-workers were all the same.

Hardest part was helping many customers all at once, at The Home Depot it is a very busy place and customers expect you to do something for you quickly, so adapting to that environment was very helpful.
Pros
Benefits, breaks with pay, fun experience
Cons
Taking care of many things at once
Great co-workers, Great benefits
Lot Associate (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON6 September 2016
my co-workers were the best part about that job they always wanted everyone to succeed and would go out of their way help,

I was part time but i got benefits that most places would only give to full time employees.

the hardest part of the job was finding the products that where still on the shelfs.

the management could have been better, there was a lot of miscommunication between management, it was mostly miss scheduled days or things being moved and no one being told where.
Pros
family freindly/ can plan your job around your life
Cons
Fun and fulfilling but little room for advancement
Paint Associate (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON16 March 2016
The environment is great, parties and meetings are genuinely fun. Management is warm and understanding of personal issues. Scheduling is fair and usually made up to 3 weeks in advance, which is very nice and hours are generally good. Pay is competitive and benefits are as well. All-in-all a great place to work, my only complaint would be the lack of room for advancement. Due to the high number of people who stay past retiring age, I've found that there is little room to advance your position unless you are making a life long commitment to the company. That being said, students can cross train in different departments for more hours, which is also nice.
Pros
Fun environment, good management
Cons
Lack of room for advancement
Horrible management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton South10 May 2016
Management was horrible, lacks any chance of advancement. Pay was horrible, minimum wage for cashiers, and what is even more disappointing is each year you get about a 30 cent raise, and when minimum wage went up they raised my pay to minimum wage but didn't add any of my previous raises to it. Then they hire new cashiers making 1.50 more than me per hour after I've been there for 3 years, asked 3 different managers including assistant manager to let me learn a department other than cash ( all departments make more than cashiers) and they gave me many empty promises. they would not work with you school schedule and you are required at least 4 of 7 days availability that includes weekends. They fire you fi you can't meet that and get other associates to work your shifts. They also stuck me with greeting (which is standing in one spot handing out flyers for 4-9 hours) I greeted for 18-22 hours every single week for 4 months it was horrible.I hated working there so glad I quit, and I hope the depot goes down.
Pros
Cons
horrible management, lack of career advancement
The Company Culture
Department Manager, (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON17 October 2016
The company culture is totally different from before with the seasoned leadership from within. The previous team of leadership applied the principles of core values as the preach. The present team in general who mostly came from the outside, only preaches core value but does not apply it. There is too much politics in the company in general. Most Lead Management in store level as I see and learn from other associates from other stores, observes the impartial and unbalanced treatment of employees. What is clear at present is whom you know than what you know. The practice now in general is that you have to be in the top management's blessing as your best talent. The original culture that respect and value for employees' welfare is non-existence. if you are a highly principled person who is not into work politics, this is not a conducive work environment for you. But if you are a person that loves corporate politics, it is the best pllace for you.
It has completely change since I started with the original ownership..
Pros
A good name to be affiliated as a worker
Cons
You have to find a store that has a principled Store Manager that recognizes skills and talents
Order picker was a very physical position
Overnight Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB29 June 2016
Worked overnight as an order picker. Thank the stars I did not have to deal with the customers on day shift. They are relentless and treat you like you work at Walmart.

A normal night of picking in the summer will have you picking large deck packages which for me was very physical.
Loading 40-50 2x12" by 16 foot lengths of pressure treated lumber (that was wet most of the time making it heavier) onto a cart by yourself will surely wear you out. And that was only the beginning of the order. Most deck orders have over 100 pcs of lumber.

Everyone was in a bad mood all the time and you could hear them talking smack about the company because management keeps staff to a bare minimum to keep stock prices high for the investors. So, everyone is way overworked.

Left it as soon as I could after trying my best for a month.
Cons
Long hours, very physical, low pay, grouchy workers, overworked
Caring Workplace
HR Staffing Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 October 2016
Highly held core values. Management can be difficult at times. Job is stressful if not given adequate management support. Opportunities for advancement if you work hard.
A well rewarding entry-level job.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON25 October 2016
Though the job can get boring at times, and the pay is lackluster at best, the job itself and benefits are good enough for an entry level job. The issue I have with the job is that I came to it with 5 years of experience in my field, and I was not given any form of pay raise for that experience, though I consistently outsell my quotas.
Pros
Good benefits, relaxed environment.
Cons
Boring tedious work, lack of advancement
Home depot
Kitchen Designer (Current Employee) –  Vancouver30 November 2016
Average. The salary is not that good. But the work culture is nice and supportive management.
I have learnt latest software for kitchen design.
Pros
Good medical benefits
Cons
Salary ok
Friendly place to work, very accommodating management, great support.
Cashier/ Customer Service Rep/ Returns - Part-Time (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB28 July 2016
A typical day involved providing excellent customer service, and making sure the clients needs were met or exceeded. Management was very supportive with answering questions and resolving problems. The staff and coworkers always worked together as a team.
Most enjoyable was the interaction with clients and staff alike.
Pros
Flexibility of the job. Benefits for part-time workers.
Great company depending on the management team per location
Operations (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS24 August 2016
Great company depending on the management team per location.
Could be the best or worst of working environments. Way too much freedom of management types left unchallenged from outside of each location. The concept of the Home Depot culture is great and if followed was a wonderful work environment.
Pros
Excellent culture and great employees.
Cons
Managemnt styles
Great employer-employee relationship
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON18 April 2016
Great culture to begin your career at, they offer great benefits for those that are part time as well as full time. At a store level, all associates are treated equally and fairly and in confidence can voice their opinions and be heard.
Pros
great benefits, flexible schedules and management that encourages growth
Cons
Some tasks can by physically demanding