The Home Depot Employee Reviews

Found 1,452 reviews matching the search
You get to learn new things
Millworks Specialty Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 January 2017
Working at this job you get to learn a lot of new things about home improvment whether it is in door and windows, or electrical. Coworkers are very good to work with especially when there are a lot of customers and need assistance and help all of them in a timely manner. Managers were very encouraging, even if you werent good at a certain skill. The hardest part of the job was being in steel toe boots for 9 hours a day, it really put a lot of stress on my heels. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to help customers find the best solution for their home improvement needs.
Pros
Helping customers
Cons
Concrete floor, hard on feet
Not a great place to advance your career rapidly.
Seasonal and Electrical Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Ancaster, ON16 February 2017
Poor overall if you're seeking job security. Not impressed with many managers' willingness to know/learn about products in departments other than their own. Not impressed with the higher up attitude of taking advantage of the worker by not hiring on more full-time workers. Many co-workers and customers felt ripped off and gouged by the company overall and major manufactures of the product lines.
Happy Place to Work
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON31 January 2017
one of the happiest and friendliest places I've ever worked! As a cashier there are liberties that you can make that empower your decisions and there's a bit of freedom in that to make the customers happy. The pay isn't ideal but it builds every year and there are incentives to top employees. There's also a lot of room to advance from department to department so you never have to be bored with your job! There are Homer awards that employees give to each other that turn into cash advances; as someone who has worked at two different locations some stores tend to be more generous then others. There are also benefits.
Pros
Advancement
Cons
Minimum wage
A good job, but not good money.
Hardware Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB26 January 2017
The training at Home Depot is extensive and paid, but the best way to learn is on the sales floor. The work can often be stressful, but the workplace culture is generally pleasant and makes it easier to help customers with excellence. Management offers help and advice but delegates a lot of tasks, and there is very little promotion from within the company. Pay does not increase with minimum wage, so seniority does not mean best pay, in fact it's the opposite.
Excellent work environment, coworkers were great
Lot Associate (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC27 January 2017
My time at Home Depot was a great deal of fun. Interacting with my co-workers was always a blast, as Home Depot seems to quickly crack down on disruptive, unfriendly additions to the crew (as was the case with a worker who was dismissed a month before my arrival).

As such, I was constantly surrounded by positivity, which didn't stop at my cowokers. Home Depot attracts a different clientele than your average retail store and as such, customers were much more willing to listen to you and friendlier than those you'll typically find.

10/10 would work there again.
Pros
Gave good breaks, friendly environment
Cons
Pay wasn't the greatest, management could take a while to respond to complaints
the home depot
Customer service refund-Sale troubleshooting (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK7 January 2017
over all nice place to work for there is worse place to work for but the management have a tendency to to have they favorite employers who dont get in trouble no mater what they do and the none rfavorite seem to get in trouble no mater what they do
for me i was in the neutral part
but i seen the favorite come in late every day an never got in trouble mean will
i seen a new guy getting a warning up for not punching in after is lunch by 7 min
Great Company
Head Cashier/Supervisor/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Bradford, ON31 January 2017
Love the company and the job details, the management at the Bradford store needs to be replaced, alot of "favoritism" no accountability for associates. The current management isthereason I am looking elsewhere for employment. The prior management was fantastic. TheHome Depot as a company is great with the exception of the pay, should be higher and based on performance of the individual not a sliding scale.
Fun and challenging work place
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 January 2017
The Home Depot was filled with friendly co-workers who were never shy to give a helping hand. The atmosphere was great with hard working individuals in each department and in management. It was rewarding when you saw a smile pop up on a customers face after you had helped them find what they were looking for. The Home Depot was a great job!
Pros
Friendly atmosphere
Cons
Frustrated customers at times
Nice place to work but money is not enough.
Flooring/Decor Associate (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB5 February 2017
A regular work day consists of opening the store with a morning rally with all staff to get day started. Then we do a daily safety inspection of our areas.The rest of the day is customer service and stocking to keep store neat and organize.

I really enjoy working with the customers and helping build their projects or help them set up someone to come install their projects.

My only con really is the heavy work load in my department and being on your feet all day takes a toll on the back.

Home Depot is a good company to work for and tries to make sure their employees needs are met.
Pros
Great team I work with, never lay off, flexible for days off and special needs.
Cons
Low wages/Heavy labour/Awards are taxed/Rules don't apply for everyone
Meet lots of great people
Merchandising Associate (Current Employee) –  Pickering, ON15 December 2016
Directions are majorly inconsistent!!! One minute you are told to do something one way, the next minute a totally different way! Do not trust the management in this sector. Lots of favouritism and gossiping. The job is extremely demanding both physically and mentally. Mentally because of so much confusion and contradictions. Not worth the pay which is very low for the expectations. Expect to ALWAYS work alone and if you are ever in need of physical help lifting things that state and require a Two Person lift....forget it! You are told to "Just get it done as quick as possible".
Pros
Surrounded by a lot of great people and hard workers!
Cons
No perks and low pay
Great place to work. Love to work at Home Depot again
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Scot road. North Surrey B.C31 December 2016
Atypical day at work was very friendly co workers.Helpful cooperative, the floor manager was always there in case of any help or issues.There was not any hard day since the staff and the management was always there to help each other at times of any difficulty.the most enjoyable part of the job was when we got best cashier of the month badge which gave us to work hard and achieve goals.
Supportive and Great Environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Collingwood, ON10 December 2016
I throughly enjoyed working for this company due to the always supportive Management and co-workers as well as the safe and fun workplace environment.
Everyone who worked there was always friendly and work days were never a dull, always exciting.
The company has an amazing full time and part time benefit plan which is unheard of now a days.
As a student, Home Depot offers Tuition Reimbursement which is outstanding due to school being so expensive.

I would recommend Home Depot as a workplace always.
Pros
supportive
Cons
long hours, hard floors
Experience with wide assortment of product and fellow associates
Freight Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary Chinook5 December 2016
The Home Depot is a place to learn about operating in a safe open warehouse to accomplish a variety of tasks with experienced people available to help teach and lighten a heavy load. Your feet may ache and your body will yearn for rest those first weeks, yet hang in and your time will not be misspent with valuable skills and talents found in a friendly and lively workplace.
A Fun place to work
Lumber Building Materials (Current Employee) –  Ancaster, ON23 January 2017
My decision to work at The Home Depot was based upon my availability during my school semester. That being said, my work experience was exactly what I was expecting. Be part of a team, ensure everything is neat and tidy and listen and help out all the customers.that may need your assistance.

Bonus: I was trained and licensed to operate a Fork Lift, Reach Truck and Order Picker
Productive Work place
Cashier/Seasonal Associate (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, AB30 November 2016
While working at Home Depot, I was treated fairly and equally. The hardest part of being a cashier was the repetition but the best part was socializing with customers and making sure they left happy. I found near the end of my career at the Home Depot was that I wasn't given enough hours and enough pay in order to continue working there.
Pros
On holidays we had to work we got fed fun lunches, and I got to work and meet awesome people and gain new retail experience.
Cons
Not enough hours
We always had fun events for our Colleagues and family
Assistant Manager/Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON30 November 2016
As a Store Manager my day was always always exciting and unpredictable.Loved getting to know the customers and taking care of them. Loved hiring new colleagues and developing them. We always had great moral and worked as a team. No Union. As long as we were making our #'s we were left alone to make our own decisions.
Hardest part is letting some one go when you hired them.
Best part was getting to know the customer and colleagues and the freedom to be as creative as I wanted to be.
Pros
Colleagues events, Free lunches
Great people, terrible pay/appreciation
Seasonal and Paint Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON28 November 2016
It's a great place to work part time, especially as a student. Great people, flexible, lots of support and understanding from management. However, pay increases are extremely minimal. Hours are seasonal and not reliable. Even as a phenomenal employee, appreciation comes in the form of meaningless badges and lip service. It would be better if they rewarded good employees with livable hours and wages instead of giving them a meaningless award.
Pros
Excellent work environment
Cons
Insufficent hours and pay
fun place to work and very satisfying
Lot Associate (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC29 November 2016
i throughly enjoyed working for home depot for 2 and a half years. the customers are awsome and the standards of customer service they uphold are amazing. staff is very understanding if you have dissabilities, and the room for advancement is great to. the hardest part of the job would have to be making sure you are psycicaly fit to lift excess weight. the most enjoyable part is helping coustomers with there projects and having the self satisfaction of knowing you helped people alot of times there dream project. i highly recomend working for home depot if you enjoy customer service and taking that extra step to ensure there happy with there experience.
BS place to to work
seasonal associate/cashier (Current Employee) –  Stoney Creek, ON27 November 2016
My first store I worked at amazing loved it... now I'm in a new store new department... trained me on nothing I get written up over stupid things they should have trained me on but didn't and bloody head cashiers and managers can be really rude and unhelpful. I find they get mad over things that I can't control as well as they believe they trained me on BUT DID NOT... never get a weekend off unpredictable hrs
Pros
Cons
No weekends rude coworkers and don't train properly
Average Working Environment
Bookkeeper (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 November 2016
Working at this company has been quite a rewarding experience. I have developed strong customer service skills. Management at The Home Depot is somewhat good, sometimes a lack of communication between associates and management can be the most difficult part of my job because when there is no communication, it creates a stressful work environment.
The most enjoyable part of my job is working with my co-workers. They are quite a helpful bunch of associates. Also, sometimes we would get free lunches. So, it's nice to feel appreciated!
Pros
Free Lunches/profit sharing
Cons
Stressful environment and poor communication between management and associates