The Home Depot Employee Reviews

Found 1,614 reviews matching the search
Cashier
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON22 May 2017
The work becomes very redundant and mundane after a while as you do the same checkout process for hours on end. The hours are plenty during the summer season but very little during winter. Full Weekend availability was mandatory.
Pros
Free Food and Lunches on some days, Benefits, Profit sharing
Cons
Long hours of the same work, 100% weekend availability, no room for advancement
good.
Merchandizing Execution Associate (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON22 May 2017
a typical day, other than resets will include servicing a bay.it means checking and maintaining planogram integrity, cleaning and facing the product. changing and checking prices. building and maintaining displays. doing resets for christmas and spring /summer.
Relaxed Workplace, Well Run, Fast Paced, Flexible
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC19 May 2017
I enjoyed my time at The Home Depot and only left because I moved too far away. The store was well run and maintained, I always felt like the managers and head cashiers were doing their jobs well without being too demanding on their workers. There was always enough staff for the location and everyone worked together well. Hours were flexible and worked around my school schedule. The pay was pretty standard for the job but I did get benefits working there part time. The environment was fast paced and the days usually went by pretty fast. If i had to nitpick one thing it would be that The Home Depot doesn't give its employees any store discount, but there were other benefits given.
Pros
Relaxed workplace, Well managed, Flexible hours, Fast paced
Cons
No store discount
Hmmmm
Senior Kitchen Designer (full time) (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 May 2017
Home Depot slowly starts to suck the life out of everyone, except upper management. If you get hired, ensure you do not believe something good will happen!
lumber section
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 May 2017
cut and stack lumber,
help customers finding wood.
organized and categorize products
go to staff meetings
work overtime
open and close store
always smile
Pros
i am a very social person
Cons
very minimal room to move up
good workplace
Freight Associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON16 May 2017
It was a good place to work, I learned alot working there. I recommend this workplace for people looking to build new skills. I also recommend this job for people who are fresh out of school.
Pros
learn new skills
Cons
part time
Great workplace
SEASONAL SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Ottawa East, ON16 May 2017
The Home Depot was my first job in a fairly big workplace. The managers, supervisors and colleagues were friendly and made me feel right at home. I often got recognized for my hard work in a variety of ways, and working in the seasonal department allowed me to breathe in some fresh air all summer long (instead of working at a desk).
Good starter job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK15 May 2017
Returned for a second summer of working. Straight-forward job, nothing out of the ordinary. Lots of staff my age that I connected with. REALLY good training. Pay and time off was all online which was efficient. Only issue was that departments changed around products frequently so when customers would ask for location of products you weren't always sure if you actually knew exactly where they were.
Pros
Easy scheduling and paid training
Cons
Won't always know where things are
I enjoyed the atmosphere and helping people
Decor Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 May 2017
Aside from management being completely ignorant; this was a great job and I do very much miss it. Working with people who've become friends and the everyday interaction with new people - and sometimes the same customers was fantastic.
Pros
friendly environment
Cons
management was terrible
The Home Depot
Freight Supervisor, Overnight (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 May 2017
A typical day at work consists of leading and directing my Freight associates to work all inbound nightly deliveries to the store (often up to 6 trailers - freight, lumber, cement, dry wall, flowers, soil). A busy store in Calgary, AB, but with very little racking or storage space, the hardest part of the job each night is finding where to place any overstock pallets, or any pallet displays not yet ready to be merchandised on the sales floor (i.e. saving freight for an event). What I've learned with that respect is to plan ahead at the beginning of the night (what older overstock freight might I now be able to pack down into the home location so that I can now put new overstock up into the racking?). Other things I've learned is to make sure to be short and concise with my direction, and not elaborate too much. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with a knowledgable and friendly group of associates. The culture is genuinely quite open and friendly amongst all associates on the different shifts. Management usually take the time to listen to any concerns, but at times, it feels like the pressure to perform and achieve the best results may not always produce positive recognition for efforts shown.
Pros
lots of free lunches for meetings or to celebrate successful results or weeks.
Cons
I would appreciate hearing more positive reinforcement when I achieve results or expectations.
Large volume and fast paced retail environment
Sales Associate II - Garden Centre/Seasonal Dept. (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 May 2017
Despite consistently being recognized for my exceptional customer service skills and horticultural knowledge, after the "rush" of the spring and summer business, my hours were cut to four hours per week.
Cons
Little to no opportunity to advance within this company.
Very fun workplace always learning something new
Sales Associate/Lot Associate (Former Employee) –  Midland, ON12 May 2017
One of the best places I've ever worked at. There's always something new to learn or someone new to meet. Interacting with customer is a lot of fun, you always have to stay positive and help the customer with anything they want.
Pros
Amazing associated ans benefits
Work ed placement
Student Placement (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON12 May 2017
Great staff to work with. patient. Lots of variety in jobs.
Great customer service.
Great employee/student support
safety of customers and staff is very important
very friendly atmosphere, felt like part of a family
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON12 May 2017
working at the home depot was a very rewarding career and made me feel accomplished.
It was very easy to get up and go to work everyday, it wasn't a struggle as I liked being there.
I felt very welcome and it felt like a big family
Pros
they always had free or reasonably priced food in the breakroom for all employees
Cons
pay wasnt that great and hours wernt that great either
people there are nice
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON10 May 2017
good job but no room for advancement 2 managers there are really just not nice at all but other then that its a good place to work they have a monthly lunch party thing witch is nice also it is really clean and super safe
its a very productive pace.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON10 May 2017
working there did educate me about customer service. The management is amazing, well discipled and nice.the job was not hard because the management provided good training and amazing response to problems.
fun work environment, great people, productive days.
Paint Department (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, AB10 May 2017
Working at Home Depot was great. the Management was very easy going and actually walked around the store and helped every department, they played a part in the lives of the customers and their employees. working in the paint department was great, it was always a happy day with happy customers excited for their fresh start. I would help the customer find the colour and paint brand/type they needed and mixed it up for them and made sure they were leaving with everything they needed to get the job done. unfortunately I had to leave because I moved to the other side of Edmonton and was unable to transfer due to lack of open positions.
Great job, if you can last.
Shipper/Receiver (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB10 May 2017
While this job pays alright and has excellent hours, the work is very physically demanding and leaves you quite sore. The Home Depot mostly only offers Temp positions for its overnight staff during the busy season. When I was hired, I was told that my position was to be permanent, however, when I talked with the HR worker at my particular location, I quickly learned that they hired me as a Temp associate.
Pros
great hours, awesome people
Cons
"false advertising", long days, sore muscles
An ok place to work depending on your job
Freight Associate, Cashier (Current Employee) –  Pembroke, ON10 May 2017
Home Depot is a great place to work if you work in the right department and have a good supervisor. You get benefits as a part timer. You get an yearly raise. Hours can between 20 or less to 30 all depending on what department you work in and how many call ins you get.
Pros
Benefits as a part timer, Yearly raises
Cons
Low Hours, inconsistent hours
Great work environment with friendly staff and support.
Department supervisor (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON10 May 2017
Busy fast paced workplace. Lots of training. Friendly management who supports their staff. Hours can be hard as they change from day to day. You can do anything throughout the store as long as you keep busy.
Pros
Many BBQ's and pot lucks.
Cons
Hours can take a toll on you.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Home Depot. Our community is ready to answer.