The Home Depot Employee Reviews for Retail Sales Associate

Sort: Helpful | Rating | Date
fun place to work at
Sales associate (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON14 September 2017
i enjoyed my time there. i am looking for full time job but i still want to keep my job there. wonderful management and coworkers. its a place i would recommend.
Pros
people
Cons
not enough hours
Fun work enviroment
Tool Rental Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON14 September 2017
Good for a temp job while your still in school. Management in my location could have been significantly better. They do not treat employees well so don't expect any nice treatment.
Great co-workers and benefits
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS2 September 2017
I loved my co-workers and management was mostly fair over all. I loved working on decor ideas for flooring, window treatments and paint with my customers. The hardest part of the job were difficult, hard to please clients.
I had a great experience at Home Depot
Flooring and Decor Associate (Former Employee) –  Barrhaven, ON2 September 2017
I had an excellent experience at the Home Depot Barrhaven location. I met many coworkers and customers who are still my friend. The work gave me a lot of sales experience and I am very grateful for that and look forward to applying the skills I learned there to the many opportunities that will arise for me in the future.
good place to work
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON29 August 2017
worked there for nearly 2 years and i had no issues. it was a good place to meet people and learn about retail as well as about home renovation projects
Pros
good programs to advance in company
Cons
night shifts
Home Depot
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON25 August 2017
Crazy place to work at times. Customers always in rush for something they forgot the first time they were there. Always busy which I liked. Company was outstanding in giving me the time of I needed while trying to look after my ailing father.
Pros
flexiable schedule
Cons
sometimes disorganized
fun place.
sales associate (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK23 August 2017
nice job culture, supportive management, co workers were awesome and helped in every aspect, good training programs to help us grow and succeed. fun place to work.
Great team
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK20 August 2017
The hardest part of the job is for associates who have to stand still on a concrete floor with steel toe shoes, they experience lots of pain in their feet.
Good Company Overall
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON16 August 2017
Good company to work overall. Some management problems, but this varies from store to store.

You can build yourself a career plan, but unfortunately, you'll need to be in the good graces of the managers.
Pros
Career plan
Cons
Bad management
Employee oriented, fun, appreciative employer
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Vernon, BC16 August 2017
I started at the Home Depot in the early spring of 2017. That following summer during June/July, there was massive flooding in our area, and the Home Depot was not only understanding with flexibility in scheduling enabling me to help the people I lived with protect our home, but also called me on multiple occasions to ask if there was any way they could offer assistance or support of any other kind, including trying to find volunteers amongst the employees to fill sandbags and donating certain products to help in the relief efforts.

A phenomenal culture at The Home Depot exists, truly. I would recommend it as a great place to work for anyone.
Hard work
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON15 August 2017
Good starts. Slow rank climbing. Some managers are harder to deal with than others. Good part time job if you just need spending money. No real future
Reminds me of high school
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON11 August 2017
You would get a variety of customers, but if you enjoy working with people than time would fly by. I met many great people coming in for paint advice. I had many customers who were impressed by my customer service skills since they did not get that interaction with many of the other employees. Some of the other employees would gossip, which I'm sure you'd find in many workplaces, but sometimes it would get out of hand.
Pros
Organized breaks
Cons
Management does not seem to be on top of things, and MOD will hand off tasks to go chat with other employees
Poor place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON10 August 2017
Worked there for a brief time and realized very quickly why the turn over rate of empolyees is so high.
Management team are very unprofessional and do not represent good work ethic role models. Think they are on a whole other level than other employees. Very egotistical.
Unorganized when it comes to scheduling : multiple schedules posted which do not match and therefore conflict.
Had an issue with a department lead and brought it to HR in store as well as district manager of HR. Nothing came of it due to the senority i presume.
Pros
Working with the public
Cons
Bad management
Don't work there.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON9 August 2017
The shift times go back several hours each day and you have less sleep each night as you have to get up earlier each morning during your work week. Really bad.
it was ok
sales associate (Current Employee) –  London28 July 2017
the people i work with were awesome , management was ok, but overall the whole job experience was pretty good. I would recommend working here for anyone looking for a decent job.
Mainly dealing with customers
Sales associate III Tool Rental (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 July 2017
Being at the home depot is a okay job
for the most part its dealing with customers and heavy / light construction machinery .
mainly just dealing with customers
Fun environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnpeg6 July 2017
They provide lots of training with pay. They also teach to operate different equipment like forklift. Busy on the summer season and you will learn different home improvement products.
Pros
Provide training and development
Cons
Weekend work
Friendly environment.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 July 2017
Good start for the beginners as it provides perfect work exposure and environment. The company gives everyone their workspace and flexibility to share their thoughts with management.
Customer first company with an emphasis on benefits
Sales Associate, Part Time (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB27 June 2017
The company as a whole follows a strict mentality of customers first. It allows for the beginning foundation of intense customer loyalty to be made. To help maintain and strengthen that customer loyalty the company provides superb benefits to each associate. It's a great place to learn a lot, meet some people you may not have met otherwise and learn what it means to treat the customer first.

opportunities
Pros
Professional safety regulations, opportunities to learn and grow, amazing benifits. Great customer service
Cons
Computer system, public website, mis-management
Easily Manageable with Full-Time School
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON19 June 2017
Like any other job, you are required to have to weekdays to close, a minimum of four hour shift, along with the whole weekend open for availability. Management is a hit or miss. Coordination between the managers can be off sometimes, leading to tons of confusion. You will rarely see the department supervisors in their actual departments, and often times you as the associate can be expected to cover the brunt of the responsibilities of the department by yourself each day. At times, ridiculous rules will be imposed with counter-productive results upon "not following them"(for e.g Saying "Hi!" to every single customer you see, and getting a notice from the manager upon missing even one customer).
With that said, the fellow associates are like-minded, and can make your job easier to work and lessen the stress. I am a full time student at university, and there are many others like so working part time at Home Depot. So finding like-minded individuals can be helpful and at times, even inspiring of what you would want to do upon graduating school.
Pros
Free lunches every now and then. Free coffee
Cons
Unpredictability of work schedule. (Full shift when you leave expect, no promise of shifts being given away etc.)

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Home Depot. Our community is ready to answer.