The Hertz Corporation

The Hertz Corporation Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
driver.
Driver (Former Employee), AlexandriaFebruary 16, 2014
A typical day working at Hertz would be to transport cars to different location in and out of Virginia.
What I learned
Assistant Branch Manager (Current Employee), Flagstaff, ArizonaFebruary 14, 2014
Pros: flexible schedule
Cons: distance from hub locations
I learned how to manage a stand-alone location. I was involved in inside and outside sales to build the branch. I was also assigned to train new employees and ensure they are following developmental procedures. I also exercised my customer service skills to meet multiple demographics and travelers.
Great Place to work
Transporter (Current Employee), Port Newark, NJFebruary 13, 2014
Pros: casual part time
Cons: limited hours
Fast Paced , Great people, Great schedule Nothing else to say
A lot of work for little pay
Management Trainee (Former Employee), Malden, MAFebruary 12, 2014
Pros: good new graduates
Cons: low wages
Long work days, low wages. The job entailed working long hours. Very fast paced environment. Responsibilites ranged from customer service to cleaning cars.
great place to work
Sr. Sales Coordinator/Safety Coordinator (Former Employee), lakewood, waFebruary 12, 2014
daily interacting with customers and learning new ideas made the every day routine a challenge
Great room for upward movement
Branch Manager (Current Employee), Hanover, MAFebruary 11, 2014
Started with the company as a trainee and found myself moving up quickly through the ranks.
Great!
Station Manager (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAFebruary 11, 2014
Customer service, cash handling, stocking, enjoyed the people and the work place.
Good stepping stone!
Assistant Branch Manager (Current Employee), Austin, TXFebruary 10, 2014
Pros: free lunches, good bonuses
Cons: long hours, low pay, high stress
This job taught me many fundamental managerial skills. I have gained signifcant knowledge that will transfer to any industry I work in.
Good job right out of college
Manager (Current Employee), Augusta, GAFebruary 9, 2014
This is a good job right out of college. If you want to move up in this company plan on moving a lot. The company has good benefits, although the medical benefits have gone down, because of all the new healthcare regulations. If you are not interested in sales, this job is not for you.
The work environment is pleasant. With ample of room to venture "out of box" responsibilities.
Credit Controller (Current Employee), Dubai, DUFebruary 9, 2014
As mentioned in the summary, the requirement to venture for a change is "growth" and 'better prospects"
Challenging work enviroment
Senior Programmer (Former Employee), Oklahoma City, OKFebruary 9, 2014
Pros: i always enjoyed the people i worked with
I spent the first 13 years at Hertz working in Cobol on the HP300 - MPE platform. I enjoyed, with four other associates, managing over one million lines of code, related to maintenance and new application features. This required working closely with Business Analysts, Testers, and Field Representatives. I always found it interesting and challenging.

The – more... last two years I transferred from Cobol to Java. The old application was being migrated to a Web base Application. This included the integration of Dollar Thrifty onto the Hertz Counter Application. – less
Great Company
Counter Sales Rep (Current Employee), Charleston, SCFebruary 8, 2014
Dead end job. excellent pay great benefits!
Great start for something long term.
Do your homework before you start here.
Management Trainee (Former Employee), TexasFebruary 7, 2014
Pros: little supervision (if that is a pro to you)
Cons: lack of organization and clueless management.
I'm pretty skeptical of reviews from former employees and tend to think that their experiences won't happen to me. However, I find that negative reviews of Hertz are pretty accurate.

Turnover seems to be very high throughout the company and it seems to take a long time for them to fill vacant positions. Training seems to be very hit and miss. No one – more... in the office I worked in actually understood the compensation plan or knew the standards we were being held to. It isn't that I didn't try to find out either. There was no available supervisor to explain it and no easy accessible resources to look at as a guide.

Getting reimbursed for expenses was almost impossible. The company frequently turns off manager's ability to use their purchase cards near the end of the month. This makes it impossible to get maintenance done on cars or even buy toilet paper for the office. They do it under the pretense of making their P&L look better for shareholders but it ends up reducing income by limiting the fleet size. I really wonder if there is a cash flow issue they are trying to deal with. End result, never take a dime out of your pocket expecting to get paid back. One coworker had spent over 6 months trying to get reimbursed for travel expenses.

I worked in a lower income area and customers were a real nightmare at times. They would smoke in cars and be borderline violent when they got charged a cleaning fee. They barely had enough money to cover the rental but we were encouraged into beating them down to buy overpriced and in some cases unnecessary insurance. It could be rather negative at times. I think an airport location may be better. People that can afford to travel are probably better to deal with.

Bottom line, it really is an awful place to work. The over the top negative reviews aren't an exaggeration.. – less
Great place to start a career
Area Manager (Former Employee), VirginiaFebruary 5, 2014
Pros: free car, always interesting, advancement
Cons: layoffs, staffing
There is a lot of room for advancement in this company and a competent employee can quickly move up from a trainee to a location manager within two years and a to an area manager within a couple more.

It is a high paced job with long hours. That being said don't expect a good work/life balance in this job.

Also know that the nature of the business – more... is they will repeatedly do layoffs regardless of how profitable your location is your location needs.

Know when to get out! – less
COMPANY HELPS US TO DEVELOP OUR SKILLS
BRANCH SUPERVISOR (Former Employee), Mthatha, ECFebruary 4, 2014
COMPANY GIVES US TRANNING ANNUALLY
COMPANY GUVES US INCENTIVES EVERY SIX MONTHS
COMPANY IS TRANSPARENT
Challenging fast paced customers service environment.
Location Manager (Former Employee), Houston, TXFebruary 3, 2014
Pros: expierence and personal development. good group of people that you work with.
Cons: limited resources and tough customers at times.
A typical day at work included new challenges and new learning experiences. I learned how to problem solve. I was trained in process management. My experience covered many areas.

Management was interested in the development of employees and the success of the operation.

I enjoyed my team/co-workers, each one brought different talents to the job. They – more... made the job a family atmosphere. We always came through in challenging times.

The hardest part of the job were situations dealing with resources. Examples would include not enough vehicles or man power.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the people that I worked with as well as the experience that I gained through out my years with the company. – less
Long-time Employee life cycle
Programmer Analyst (Former Employee), Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 31, 2014
Pros: my direct group and that i worked in was the best
Cons: changes in policy that were not as beneficial to the employee.
The company has gone through major changes since 2007. As with any large company, I believe your immediate group and managers have a direct impact on how you favor your job. My particular group was fantastic. The eleven of us worked together for the entire length of my employment 15 1/2 years. Both my manager and project leader were open for suggestions – more... and encouragement. My co-workers were the best in the company. We worked on a daily basis with our Business Analysts who were located in Dublin, Ireland. Again, they were terrific to work with although in the last few years there was a lot of turnover (in Dublin). I was part of the European migration team that moved the legacy COBOL system to a pc based client server with Java, EJ2EE, HTML, Spring and Hibernate. – less
if your ready to kill yourself then you will love to work here.
yard (Current Employee), fresno caJanuary 31, 2014
Pros: discount on rentals
Cons: no room for movement unless you want to suck the bosses a** and that wont work either
For a worldwide company they pay is horrible. They never egknowledge hard work. The managers sit in the office all day or just pop thier heads out just to make you feel bad if your standing around when theres no cars to clean. They want you to plan your life around them and if you ask for a day off be ready to wait forever for a answer which will probably – more... be no. – less
Not a hard job at all and you get to be in the outdoors
Driver (Former Employee), Santa Barbara, CAJanuary 31, 2014
Great but due to the obama care that just went into affect Hertz is no longer hiring full time drivers so they will not have to pay for benefits for their employees
Entertaining
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAJanuary 30, 2014
A typical day at Hertz was never dull., This job was in an airport environment. I reserved rental cars to traveler and local renters. I up sold cars and insurance packages etc. Most changeling part of the job was the late night shifts.

About The Hertz Corporation

If you've ever said, "Don't worry about it, it's just a rental," guess who hurts: Hertz, a world leader in car rental. On its – Read more

The Hertz Corporation Photos