The Hertz Corporation

The Hertz Corporation Employee Reviews in Canada

Fun place to work
Driver (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABNovember 2, 2015
Driving around town and deliver, pick up equipments.
Customer service and answer customer`s concerns.
Working in different environments and weather
Never the same day twice!
Driver (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SaskatchewanJune 7, 2015
I would get to work around 7:30am, find out if I have a regualr school run in the morning. If it was a yes i would find out what else what all needed of me for the day; if I wasnt needed for a morning run I would check to see if I had any charters for the day. Many times I would end up working in the office doing computers & paperwork.
I learned how to operate the computers, the account, who takes care of payments. My co-workers are a great group of people, always friendly. The hardest part of my job was not knowing if I am going to have work for a couple days as Im a spare driver. The most enjoyable part is working with the schools and the kids.
Pros
Simple hours, & freedom during the day if your not doing charters.
Cons
Not enough hours for a single mom with no help from anywhere else.
A fun and caring environment
Rental Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 18, 2015
-Typical day at work involved conversing with anyone that even just happened to walk into our store.
-Getting along with the customers and offering all our services in the kindest manner.
-Informing the customers of their available choices in Cars and Value packages.
-Walking the customers around the cars and showing them the features of the vehicle.
-Attending calls and assisting the customers.
-Management was a bit reckless and irresponsible.
-Hardest part of the job was coordinating with the Main Fleet location to organize cars for customers.
Pros
Variety of Customers
Cons
Good place to work and learn from entry level as lots of opportunities and growth
Area Manager (Former Employee) –  North OntarioApril 23, 2015
Lots of internal learning courses to be done every year to comply with company's guidelines, which is good
Management rigid and not flexible
Open Door policy, however still seems like higher management is not approachable
People are great to work and co-operative
Due to Accounting issues, bonus/incentives auditing going on, which has resulted in employees who are under this program haven't been paid their balance 10% of bonus/incentives
Lots of process to get anything approved or moved forward
Pros
Branch Manager and above get company car with fuel and insurance
Cons
Long working hours
Worst training ( none)
csr (Former Employee) –  VancouverNovember 4, 2014
left on my own to do web training which was of course all about Hertz regimented archaic ways . All based around money , service and hertz hertz hertz !

I was then told I was taking too long for Training .....no pressure lol. Overheard staff criticizing me ....overall a very bad experience and extreamly expensive waste of time for me.

Some stAff were ok but in general clickey ....and how some are still there with there customer service ..... Wow
Pros
good money
Cons
typical corporation greed and staff are just numbers
A Company that rewarded hard work and positive attitudes
City Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 16, 2014
At Hertz Canada i was able to learn and grow through the Company . I started as a Fleet Control clerk, and finished as the Manager of a large territory and all it's related operations. I learned so much about people , business growth , and financial management , all as a result of working hard , being honest and positive , and always supporting my Superiors , as well as my specific Team.
The hardest part of the job was trying to accomodate customers expectations in over booked situations. The best part of the job was growing personally , and as a manager alongside so many great coworkers.
Pros
fair compensation, company car
Cons
business success limited by limited fleet availability
Hertz Calgary Airport YYC
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  2000 airport rdAugust 7, 2015
A typical day at work would be meeting different people from all over the world and being able to help those people direct them and customize their rentals to best suite their needs for their vacation and family.

On a daily basis i learn new things, from my Customer Service Reps to the customers . Ranging in things from Sales to where people are from and what there about .

Management changes very frequently so things get disorganized but once the location becomes more stable and consistent with employees, its runs smoothly.

My co-workers are the best part of it all, doesn't matter how hard the day is, we get through it together and help each other out when needed .

The hardest part about my job would be the language barriers between my clientele and myself . I am limited to English, Chinese & a little bit of spanish , BUT that is where either my co-workers or their family members assist and help with the communication level.

Lastly, the most enjoyable part is loving what i am doing and being good at the sales aspect of it , and at the same time i know i am the beginning and the end to a families vacation/business rental so i can ensure they have a great first and last impression .
Quite an experience to work with people from all over the world
Driver (Current Employee) –  Toronto, OnFebruary 26, 2015
The most important fact about this organisation is that we have the most diversified workers in the organisation; in addition, it enables an individual to increase his/her knowledge about cultures existing all over the world.
Productive and good place to learn customer service skills
Counter Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 16, 2014
a typical day at work requires a lot of fast-paced work, it requires u to be quick and efficient.

what i have learned from this job is even if your hired for a certain position u should still try to learn everyones roll, so if the person in an other appointed position needs help, you are able to assist.

co-workers where amazing ambitious individuals

Management was good not great.

the hardest part of the job is ,the lack of communication sometimes very rarely between workers.

the most enjoyable part of the job is satisfying the customers the best way we can
Pros
discounts
Working with Public
Full-Time Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  St Laurent, Ottawa, ONMarch 24, 2014
My typical day is renting vehicle's to customers that need to rent, either for Business, or Casual or their vehicle is getting service.

My Manager has shown me how to run this store, and to deligate to the staff members and do all the reports.

The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to drive alot of new and different vehicles on the fleet.

The hardest part of the job is sometimes not having the vehicles when the customers want them.
Pros
dealing with great customers.
Cons
Good place to get started.
Heavy Equipment Technician/Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 5, 2015
Less than industry standards for pay and benefits. Management is in disarray. Basic work. Servicing and basic repairs on basic equipment. Coworkers are decent people.
Pros
good place to start your apprenticeship.
Cons
below industry standard for pay and benefits.
Awesome people to work with, the upper management left a bad impression on me.
CLASS A MECHANIC (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABFebruary 12, 2014
I loved the people and the facility is awesome. However, with upper management favoring dysfunctional people, and ignoring those who truly contributed I myself never, ever had a comfort zone while I worked there. The lesson I took from the place is that loyalty to an employer should also be linked to how loyal that employer is to me. No loyalty to me=no loyalty to the job.
Pros
every other wednesday hertz lunch
Cons
little or no loyalty from upper management. they talk the talk but don't walk the walk
hertz working for them. Just a number, usa company in a canadian market all trying to run the same. EPIC FAILURE
service department (Current Employee) –  Edmonton EDINovember 18, 2013
wage and benefits are par for the industry. Management has no power or back bone all looking out for themselves and managing the numbers to receive bonuses. constantly looking to replace high paid/ experienced staff with high school kids and wondering why staff is getting frustrated.

ANYONE LOOKING TO WORK FOR HERTZ SHOULD LOOK UP THE TEN WORST COMPANIES TO WORK FOR IN NORTH AMERICA . THE ARTICLE SAYS IT ALL, AND IT ONLY GOT WORSE IN THE FOLLOWING YEARS
Pros
still searching
Cons
list way to long
Did not like the drive to Kitchener
Legal Secretary (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONOctober 28, 2013
I enjoyed working here when I first started however after a year some of my co-workers either left or were let go and some of the other workers that were hired did not know their job and I had to do more than I should have. My employer also used to go out and not come back even though I needed cheques signed for closings. it was very stressful on me and on our clients who were waiting for keys for their new home. Sometimes I would not leave work until 6-7 p.m. because he was gone.
Pros
christmas bonus
Cons
long drive to kitchener
excellent team working environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BCMay 22, 2012
a typical day, was having vehicles ready and cleaned on time for every flight. i learned to use a lot of computer skills i wouldn't use else where. T he management was good and supportive and would work around your schedule if needed.My co-workers were fun and helped eachother. The hardest part was,working so much overtime.Each of us crs had or own customers that would come to see us personally.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
starting cars in the winter.
Independent operator
Agency Operator (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, OnSeptember 4, 2012
This was a large company with established proceedures, so you alway knew what the expectaions were, but they were not open suggestions for change.
I worked as an independent agent and ran the Newmarket location. Since I was not part of the corporate grid, my experience with management was limited to district supervisors. My position was a fairly recent concept to Hertz and they had some difficulty in balancing the needs of an independent agent, and that of corporate culture. I hired and supervised my own staff.
Pros
running my own business, with little investment
Cons
long hours, management indifference
A fun place to work everyday comes with new challenges
Manager Associate (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJune 26, 2014
Scheduled and reviewed car fleet inventory and rented this out according to car reservations. Learned to always be flexible and and adaptable. Company management is always focused on results not only in terms of profitability,but customer satisfaction and return business always a priority. With my co-workers we always help each other out in terms of sharing of resources, information and opportunities. Hardest part of the job are surprise last minute car reservations and this is where ones resourcefulness and problem solving come in handy. At the end of the day knowing that you have satisfied your customers to the best of your ability.
Pros
discount on car rentals
Cons
sometimes there are slack time which is good because it gives you time to do administration work
attending customers
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 1, 2014
I attended my customers as they walked in the door confirmed that they had reservations and if they did not i would be more than happy to help them out with a rental. I also moved cars around with the lots and I sometimes helped with cleaning them. I answered the phones and did local reservations
Pros
lots of hours
Cons
had to leave cause i had to go on maternaty leave
Great division, exciting and room for advancement.
Branch Manager - Western Canada (Current Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, ABJune 18, 2014
- Great balance between family and work, strongly encouraged.
- Very tight team environment.
- Strong leadership that places faith in their employees decision making skills.
- Must be able to learn quickly, and on the fly.
- Hard work is very visible in the branches success, and is noted.
Chating with co-workers before work day started in the mornning
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJanuary 6, 2013
Learn new things ever day you went to work.
Difference operating systems for each type of equipment.
A great team to work for.
Some co-workers I learn from and some co-workers I help.
Driving to and from work.
Working with all the team.
Pros
free lunchs on most friday
Cons
driving to and from work