The Hertz Corporation

The Hertz Corporation Employee Reviews in Canada

Negative workplace,
eBilling Clerk (Former Employee) –  EDI, Edmonton Alberta (8660 61 street location)March 25, 2013
The work was not hard, but communication is an issue. There is no real sense of job security or comfort, and I found working there to be quite a stress provoker. Hertz withholds a very negative work environment with minimal praise, and little support. I did not appreciate the extents my management went to to prove my disloyalty to the company, and the amount I was questioned on my work load. They will always take customer side, and do not stick together in corporate issues, and it makes for a very untrustworthy environment.

The customer service at the desk (Branch EDI - Desk) were amazing, they made each day a little easier. Seeing them was probably the best part of my day.

I learned how to manage my time effectively, provide customers with statement balances, organize accounts, and collections. I learned how to cope with negative situations in the workplace, and

The hardest part of my job was the lack of support I had in the company when I had an issue or problem with either my work or a customer inquiry that I could not assist with. I believe with strong communication business with thrive, and that is definitely a lacking part of the workplace.
Pros
monthly pizza
Cons
long hours, negative environment
Good place to get started.
Heavy Equipment Technician/Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 5, 2015
Less than industry standards for pay and benefits. Management is in disarray. Basic work. Servicing and basic repairs on basic equipment. Coworkers are decent people.
Pros
good place to start your apprenticeship.
Cons
below industry standard for pay and benefits.
excellent team working environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BCMay 22, 2012
a typical day, was having vehicles ready and cleaned on time for every flight. i learned to use a lot of computer skills i wouldn't use else where. T he management was good and supportive and would work around your schedule if needed.My co-workers were fun and helped eachother. The hardest part was,working so much overtime.Each of us crs had or own customers that would come to see us personally.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
starting cars in the winter.
Hertz Calgary Airport YYC
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  2000 airport rdAugust 7, 2015
A typical day at work would be meeting different people from all over the world and being able to help those people direct them and customize their rentals to best suite their needs for their vacation and family.

On a daily basis i learn new things, from my Customer Service Reps to the customers . Ranging in things from Sales to where people are from and what there about .

Management changes very frequently so things get disorganized but once the location becomes more stable and consistent with employees, its runs smoothly.

My co-workers are the best part of it all, doesn't matter how hard the day is, we get through it together and help each other out when needed .

The hardest part about my job would be the language barriers between my clientele and myself . I am limited to English, Chinese & a little bit of spanish , BUT that is where either my co-workers or their family members assist and help with the communication level.

Lastly, the most enjoyable part is loving what i am doing and being good at the sales aspect of it , and at the same time i know i am the beginning and the end to a families vacation/business rental so i can ensure they have a great first and last impression .
Typical place of work but with friendship
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Moncton New brunswickJuly 30, 2015
Opening and closing contracts with clients. I have learn that everyone has different way of looking at things. With the company changing from a family own business to a corporate company it has a lot of differences. Meeting all kinds of new people from all over the world makes it more fun.
Pros
Able to drive all kinds of cars
Great Learning Environment
Yard Worker (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABOctober 13, 2014
Hertz is a good place to start out in the industry, they are willing to teach you all you need to know and prepare you for the different type of atmospheres that shutdowns carry.
Pros
great benefits and sub when on site
Cons
long shutdowns lesser home life
A fun and caring environment
Rental Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 18, 2015
-Typical day at work involved conversing with anyone that even just happened to walk into our store.
-Getting along with the customers and offering all our services in the kindest manner.
-Informing the customers of their available choices in Cars and Value packages.
-Walking the customers around the cars and showing them the features of the vehicle.
-Attending calls and assisting the customers.
-Management was a bit reckless and irresponsible.
-Hardest part of the job was coordinating with the Main Fleet location to organize cars for customers.
Pros
Variety of Customers
Cons
Never the same day twice!
Driver (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SaskatchewanJune 7, 2015
I would get to work around 7:30am, find out if I have a regualr school run in the morning. If it was a yes i would find out what else what all needed of me for the day; if I wasnt needed for a morning run I would check to see if I had any charters for the day. Many times I would end up working in the office doing computers & paperwork.
I learned how to operate the computers, the account, who takes care of payments. My co-workers are a great group of people, always friendly. The hardest part of my job was not knowing if I am going to have work for a couple days as Im a spare driver. The most enjoyable part is working with the schools and the kids.
Pros
Simple hours, & freedom during the day if your not doing charters.
Cons
Not enough hours for a single mom with no help from anywhere else.
Fun place to work
Driver (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABNovember 2, 2015
Driving around town and deliver, pick up equipments.
Customer service and answer customer`s concerns.
Working in different environments and weather
Good place to work and learn from entry level as lots of opportunities and growth
Area Manager (Former Employee) –  North OntarioApril 23, 2015
Lots of internal learning courses to be done every year to comply with company's guidelines, which is good
Management rigid and not flexible
Open Door policy, however still seems like higher management is not approachable
People are great to work and co-operative
Due to Accounting issues, bonus/incentives auditing going on, which has resulted in employees who are under this program haven't been paid their balance 10% of bonus/incentives
Lots of process to get anything approved or moved forward
Pros
Branch Manager and above get company car with fuel and insurance
Cons
Long working hours
Fun and easy environment to relax and work in.
Front Desk Agent (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBNovember 28, 2013
Working at the airport location has benefits because you get to greet people who've never been to your city never mind your country and so you become a sort of ambassador to represent your city in all its glory, even in the bitter cold.
Independent operator
Agency Operator (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, OnSeptember 4, 2012
This was a large company with established proceedures, so you alway knew what the expectaions were, but they were not open suggestions for change.
I worked as an independent agent and ran the Newmarket location. Since I was not part of the corporate grid, my experience with management was limited to district supervisors. My position was a fairly recent concept to Hertz and they had some difficulty in balancing the needs of an independent agent, and that of corporate culture. I hired and supervised my own staff.
Pros
running my own business, with little investment
Cons
long hours, management indifference
fun
Customer Care (Full-time) (Current Employee) –  toronto airportSeptember 12, 2012
nice place to work nice management, good salary
winter is hardest part of the work, deal different nationality people that is is the most fun
Pros
bonus
Cons
overtime
good place to work if your are strong person
Counter Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONAugust 17, 2012
good salary and benefit but high pressure job,only problem is fleet if your counter rap in Toronto u will have to go through lot of pressure from everywhere
Pros
nothing free
Cons
nothying much
Very fast paced environment with great people to work with
Distribution Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 30, 2014
There is no fixed set of work. Every day is a new day and one have to start fresh. Very challenging work load with numerous objectives adding up every hour. Had to manage a diverse group of 75+ employees, work with them, motivate them and as a result get the best out of them. Had to make rapid decisions by using sound judgement to distribute and allocate rental fleet throughout the city of Calgary according to market conditions. Making the schedule for employees, doing payroll, hiring and firing according to seasonal demands.

I have learned a lot from this position and it has definitely made me a stronger professional. Management was very supportive and contributed to my learning process. Co-workers were fun, encouraging and were always there to make it happen. It was a great team environment and a collaborative effort.
Pros
friendly colleagues
Cons
A fun place to work everyday comes with new challenges
Manager Associate (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJune 26, 2014
Scheduled and reviewed car fleet inventory and rented this out according to car reservations. Learned to always be flexible and and adaptable. Company management is always focused on results not only in terms of profitability,but customer satisfaction and return business always a priority. With my co-workers we always help each other out in terms of sharing of resources, information and opportunities. Hardest part of the job are surprise last minute car reservations and this is where ones resourcefulness and problem solving come in handy. At the end of the day knowing that you have satisfied your customers to the best of your ability.
Pros
discount on car rentals
Cons
sometimes there are slack time which is good because it gives you time to do administration work
Great employer to have worked for from 3 regional offices
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  SKNovember 9, 2013
I worked at a remote mine in Saskatchewan. I was hired by the Regina Office of Hertz Equipment Rental, but reported to the Supreme Steel Superintendant every work-day.
I would attend morning meetings to get a feel for my workload.
I would report my accomplishments to the Supreme Steel Superintendant. Then I would complete Hertz Equipment Field Reports and scan them to Regina for billing purposes. I would also scan my time sheet to Regina.
Hertz Regina was a great place to report to. The employees and management were outgoing and helpful and deliveries were mostly on-time.
Supreme Steel was a great customer and it was rare that we had disagreements.
The best part of the job was the satisfaction of getting things done and providing minimum down-time.
The hardest part was staying warm during the winter months when I had to work outside in a prairie wind.
Pros
apartment and food supplied
Productive and good place to learn customer service skills
Counter Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 16, 2014
a typical day at work requires a lot of fast-paced work, it requires u to be quick and efficient.

what i have learned from this job is even if your hired for a certain position u should still try to learn everyones roll, so if the person in an other appointed position needs help, you are able to assist.

co-workers where amazing ambitious individuals

Management was good not great.

the hardest part of the job is ,the lack of communication sometimes very rarely between workers.

the most enjoyable part of the job is satisfying the customers the best way we can
Pros
discounts
not bad for entry level job
Management Associate (Full-time) (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCNovember 17, 2014
good management, nice people, fast pace, long hours, driving.
overall is pretty good
Working with Public
Full-Time Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  St Laurent, Ottawa, ONMarch 24, 2014
My typical day is renting vehicle's to customers that need to rent, either for Business, or Casual or their vehicle is getting service.

My Manager has shown me how to run this store, and to deligate to the staff members and do all the reports.

The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to drive alot of new and different vehicles on the fleet.

The hardest part of the job is sometimes not having the vehicles when the customers want them.
Pros
dealing with great customers.