The Hertz Corporation

The Hertz Corporation Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Long days, but can pay off
Branch Manager (Former Employee), Syracuse, NYSeptember 4, 2014
Very demanding job between cleaning vehicles, sales, dealing with customers, outside sales, and training employees. After a while advancement can become stagnant, although getting to the branch manager level can definitely be reached in under two years.
Great people to work with, close to home, flexible hours.
Transporter (Current Employee), Chicago, ILSeptember 3, 2014
Very grateful for the (5) years I've been employed at Hertz.
Public Relations, Customer Service Solutions
IN-HOUSE ACCOUNT SPECIALIST (Current Employee), Costa Mesa, CASeptember 2, 2014
Work as a liaison between Hertz and AAA Auto club. Resolve service issues and work closely with the adjusters in order to minimize Rental work load for adjuster's. Work with a team, excited to look for any challenging opportunity available.
Terrible management structure and the zero accountability
Manager Associate (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVSeptember 2, 2014
Pros: great employee discount on rentals
Cons: poor management and terrible bonus structure
A typical day starts at 6:30 and ends at 17:00 with 1 hour for lunch. Management ignores the fact that the company is understaffed yet complains abut overtime.

There absolutely no accountability from upper management and the supposed open door policy will only get you fired since have an issue that management doesn't care about.

And if you achieve – more... higher than your target, management will raise your target so you have to work harder to reach the same goal and get paid less. – less
Learning Experience
Branch Manager (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLSeptember 2, 2014
Pros: advancement/self development
Cons: no work/life balance
IT is a rewarding place to work but it does not allow for life/work balance
Has been good to me
Analyst (Current Employee), Park Ridge, NJAugust 31, 2014
Depends on the department. My department has been good to me, but I see what happens in other departments and I would not want to be in them.
Stressful environment due to restructuring and on-going layoffs at the time
Senior Account Control Representative (Former Employee), Oklahoma City, OKAugust 30, 2014
My experience at Hertz was overshadowed by the threat of and execution of mass layoffs for over half of my tenure. Management did as much as they could to maintain a positive atmosphere, but most of the time it felt like a really stressful and tense situation.
Interesting coworkers but less than attentive leaders
Customer Service/Billing Specialist (Current Employee), Oklahoma City, OKAugust 27, 2014
Pros: decent pay, mutliple departments, varied shifts, weekends off
Cons: short lunches, high stress, pent up goodwill, back and forth policy changes and movements
I have a lot of fun working with the other employees. Taking 100+ calls per day. Excellent customer service experience in sales and billing. Hertz is a very old company, but since its upper management chose cheaper ways to deal with problems that weren't effective a lot of the first line and middle managers would become stressed easily and were not – more... complaint with the needs and suggestions of the non-managerial employees. The hardest part is not taking the bad calls personally, but getting thanked genuinely by someone who really appreciates and understands that we are there to help made a lot of it worth while. – less
Fun place, always busy, friendly people
Customer Sales Representative (Former Employee), Orlando, FLAugust 27, 2014
Pros: free make overs
Meet and greet customers in a friendly manner, answering calls, set up appointments, cashier and other general duties.
I worked with Hertz for 17+ years it was like a family
Senior Operations Coordinator (Former Employee), Fife, WAAugust 27, 2014
I started out in the yard washing equipment and basic services and worked my way into a small tool mechanic. I then started working on the counter and helping customers. After being promoted to lead dispatcher and senior operations coordinator I finally felt at home with what I was supposed to be doing.
corporate based company
Branch Manager (Former Employee), Chicago, ILAugust 25, 2014
very fast paced equipment rental company that has a nation wide footprint.
Overall good employees
Branch Manager (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVAugust 24, 2014
Pros: enjoyed helping customers
Cons: all the car cleaning
Not a bad place to work, but this was a separate division of car rentals. I was responsible for opening, training, and doing build outs for new locations. amazing how poorly some people take care of a rental car. spent a lot of time cleaning cars and negotiating issues with contracts. Worked lots of hours per week
Good job if you have no life.
Utility Mechanic (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAAugust 23, 2014
Pros: stay busy, pays weekly, cool co-workers, benefits
Cons: excessive forced overtime, no personal time, pay
I change oil and replace tires for rental fleet. Easy work that I love. I hate the hours. Always at work. Forced overtime is consistent due to lack of staff. ill communicative Management passes their issues downhill and expects you to put hertz above everything. If you are married, have a family, another job, school, a dating or social life, this aint – more... for you. – less
Poor management, but some great employees.
Branch Manager Trainee (Current Employee), New Orleans, LAAugust 21, 2014
Pros: paid lunches over 40hrs per week great employees
Cons: poor management.
Honestly, Hertz can be a great place of business, but the lower level of management (i.e. branch managers and assistant branch managers) are not trained effectively enough to deal with employees with different attitudes and customers. Some receive the position by default. Sometimes upper management doesn't respond accordingly to the situations at hand – more... correctly.
I've learned good and bad ways to be as a manager and it's not about what you say, it's how you say it.
Majority of my co-workers are great, but there's always a few bad apples in the bunch and those bad apples are unfortunately management.
The hardest part of the job is not having enough fleet and everyday supplies to do you job and handle business properly.
The most enjoyable part of my job is satisfying a customer. – less
Very productive work days, learn a lot at an accelerated pace.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Chicago, ILAugust 20, 2014
Pros: lunch breaks were flexible, learned at a fast pace, working with the public, transferable skills are more than likely obtained, lots of hours
Cons: lots of hours, no work life/personal life balance, low pay
During my short period of working for Hertz, I had both good and bad experiences. I loved learning a lot in short period of time and always being productive in a fast- paced environment, however I quickly realized that there was minimal, if any, work/life balance. The days were very long and the pay wasn't much at all. The company seems to always have – more... a problem with staffing, which is why full time employees are usually burned out from more than 60 hours a week of work. I learned a lot of valuable customer service skills, transferable skills, and what it meant to be a leader while being there and I am grateful for that experience. Management wasn't very helpful or encouraging as far as far as being with Hertz for the long run, also lack of communication or clear direction. My coworkers however, were very helpful. The hardest part of Hertz was time management when you were short a porter and had tons of cars to be cleaned and prepared for the day, this could be very stressful but other than that, you'd be fine. The most enjoyable part of the job were the customers. If you have a knack for meeting new people and being able to communicate and understand a customer's needs and demand of the business then Hertz is a perfect place for you to be! – less
Productive and fun work environment.
Location Manager (Current Employee), Dallas, TXAugust 20, 2014
Supervise 40 unionized employees in Service, Returns, Counter, and Gold Choice departments. Responsible for scheduling, employee discipline, motivation, coaching and training employees on standard work, productivity levels, and union protocol.

Manage a fleet of 5000 vehicles. My location is currently the 4th largest location in the country. Directly – more... responsible for the logistics of returning, cleaning, maintaining, and organizing the vehicles – less
fast paced job with opportunity to work with different cultures.
Flex Rep (Current Employee), Austin, TXAugust 19, 2014
Pros: customer interaction, meet new people everyday, discounts and health benefits.
Cons: long hours, no room for advancement.
Depending on where you are scheduled, outside helping customers in return is very hot weather and outside all day, or inside assisting customers with rentals based on their needs or reservation. I have learned a lot about sales and people in general working with customers from different cultures and nationalities. Me and most of my coworkers get along – more... and all try to work together to get the job done and make customer experiences an excellent one.
Hardest part of the job is not being able to have a life outside of work, due to the hours. Most enjoyable is the interaction with the customers and being able to meet their needs and put a smile on their faces. – less
tough workplace
Branch Manager (Current Employee), CAAugust 18, 2014
Although I gained very good experience, Hertz is a hard place to work. Long hours, usually 55+ a week and extremely understaffed. First couple months are somewhat enjoyable, but as you progress in the company and move upward, management seems to be less and less supportive.

A typical day at hertz: Clock in about 6:30 am, inventory fleet, run and analyze – more... about 6-10 reports daily. Conference call with area manager from 7:00 to about 7:20 to discuss fleet needs and sales numbers for individual branches. Open at 7:30 am and usually there are about 3-4 customers already waiting. Everyone at the branch is responsible for answering phones within three rings, even if you are with a customer. Most branches have three lines, and they are going off constantly throughout the day. There are various conference calls every day, and sometimes up to three or four. Very busy until it slows down from about 1:00-3:30 during which more reports are ran, customers are contacted, vehicles are cleaned. It gets extremely busy again from about 4:00 to close at 6:00. From 6:00 to about 7:00 cars are cleaned and we set up for the next day. This is five days a week, and saturday most branches are open from 9-12:00.

Hertz is not a bad place to work, especially out of college. One gains a lot of experience, but has to be willing to put in the long hours and work. It is a very high stress industry, but it can also be rewarding. The downfall is that most branches are understaffed due to the environment. – less
Friendly people
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Oklahoma City, OKAugust 15, 2014
Pros: low stress
Cons: worked at night
It's been quite a while since I've worked there, but remember everyone being very friendly and helpful. I remember the training was very thorough and we always had help when we needed it.
Resarching
Lien/Research Clerk (Current Employee), Oklahoma City, OKAugust 15, 2014
Pros: lots of researching
Cons: everything is not black and white
A typical day at work is review delinquent accounts, reviewing the state statues and make a decision making on how to handle the problem.

To handle a delinquent account. I must decide on the listed factors below.

1. Years in business
2. Credit risk rating
3. Average number of days payment
4. Overall payment history
5. The dollar amount owed.

It is – more... a challenge workload with many factors to consider. – less

About The Hertz Corporation

Hertz operates its car rental business through the Hertz, Dollar, Thrifty and Firefly brands from approximately 11,555 corporate – Read more

The Hertz Corporation Photos