The Hertz Corporation

The Hertz Corporation Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Very fast paced environment with great people to work with
Distribution Manager (Former Employee), Calgary, ABApril 30, 2014
Pros: friendly colleagues
Cons: long hours
There is no fixed set of work. Every day is a new day and one have to start fresh. Very challenging work load with numerous objectives adding up every hour. Had to manage a diverse group of 75+ employees, work with them, motivate them and as a result get the best out of them. Had to make rapid decisions by using sound judgement to distribute and allocate – more... rental fleet throughout the city of Calgary according to market conditions. Making the schedule for employees, doing payroll, hiring and firing according to seasonal demands.

I have learned a lot from this position and it has definitely made me a stronger professional. Management was very supportive and contributed to my learning process. Co-workers were fun, encouraging and were always there to make it happen. It was a great team environment and a collaborative effort. – less
Working with Public
Full-Time Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), St Laurent, Ottawa, ONMarch 24, 2014
Pros: dealing with great customers.
Cons: long hours
My typical day is renting vehicle's to customers that need to rent, either for Business, or Casual or their vehicle is getting service.

My Manager has shown me how to run this store, and to deligate to the staff members and do all the reports.

The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to drive alot of new and different vehicles on the fleet.

The – more... hardest part of the job is sometimes not having the vehicles when the customers want them. – less
hertz working for them. Just a number, usa company in a canadian market all trying to run the same. EPIC FAILURE
service department (Current Employee), Edmonton EDINovember 18, 2013
Pros: still searching
Cons: list way to long
wage and benefits are par for the industry. Management has no power or back bone all looking out for themselves and managing the numbers to receive bonuses. constantly looking to replace high paid/ experienced staff with high school kids and wondering why staff is getting frustrated.

ANYONE LOOKING TO WORK FOR HERTZ SHOULD LOOK UP THE TEN WORST COMPANIES – more... TO WORK FOR IN NORTH AMERICA . THE ARTICLE SAYS IT ALL, AND IT ONLY GOT WORSE IN THE FOLLOWING YEARS – less
Great employer to have worked for from 3 regional offices
Service Technician (Former Employee), SKNovember 9, 2013
Pros: apartment and food supplied
I worked at a remote mine in Saskatchewan. I was hired by the Regina Office of Hertz Equipment Rental, but reported to the Supreme Steel Superintendant every work-day.
I would attend morning meetings to get a feel for my workload.
I would report my accomplishments to the Supreme Steel Superintendant. Then I would complete Hertz Equipment Field Reports – more... and scan them to Regina for billing purposes. I would also scan my time sheet to Regina.
Hertz Regina was a great place to report to. The employees and management were outgoing and helpful and deliveries were mostly on-time.
Supreme Steel was a great customer and it was rare that we had disagreements.
The best part of the job was the satisfaction of getting things done and providing minimum down-time.
The hardest part was staying warm during the winter months when I had to work outside in a prairie wind. – less
Negative workplace,
eBilling Clerk (Former Employee), EDI, Edmonton Alberta (8660 61 street location)March 25, 2013
Pros: monthly pizza
Cons: long hours, negative environment
The work was not hard, but communication is an issue. There is no real sense of job security or comfort, and I found working there to be quite a stress provoker. Hertz withholds a very negative work environment with minimal praise, and little support. I did not appreciate the extents my management went to to prove my disloyalty to the company, and the – more... amount I was questioned on my work load. They will always take customer side, and do not stick together in corporate issues, and it makes for a very untrustworthy environment.

The customer service at the desk (Branch EDI - Desk) were amazing, they made each day a little easier. Seeing them was probably the best part of my day.

I learned how to manage my time effectively, provide customers with statement balances, organize accounts, and collections. I learned how to cope with negative situations in the workplace, and

The hardest part of my job was the lack of support I had in the company when I had an issue or problem with either my work or a customer inquiry that I could not assist with. I believe with strong communication business with thrive, and that is definitely a lacking part of the workplace. – less
Great group of people to work with.
Mechanic (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABOctober 27, 2012
There is nothing to say about this position or company. All was great for the time i was there.
Ok
Small Tools Technician/Heaters (Current Employee), EtobicokeSeptember 8, 2012
Pros: perks
Cons: lack of leadership
A typical day at work is just like every other day. Our management is ok, needs work there. I think I have some solid co-workers and others not so good. The hardest part of our job is trying to do a repair to a piece of equipment with no training.
A
Yard worker (Current Employee), Christina Lake, ABAugust 16, 2012
Start at 6, morning safety meeting. go do my truck inspection and start my route for the day 12 oclock lunch, than continue to finish my route tell 6
A new experience
RENTAL AGENT (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMay 5, 2012
Pros: interaction, happy people
Cons: angry people, vehicles not available
Preparing paperwork for passengers to rent a vehicle.

Too much paper work.

Management pleasant.

Co-workers friendly.

Annoyed customers

Meeting people
Poor management, but some great employees.
Branch Manager Trainee (Current Employee), New Orleans, LAAugust 21, 2014
Pros: paid lunches over 40hrs per week great employees
Cons: poor management.
Honestly, Hertz can be a great place of business, but the lower level of management (i.e. branch managers and assistant branch managers) are not trained effectively enough to deal with employees with different attitudes and customers. Some receive the position by default. Sometimes upper management doesn't respond accordingly to the situations at hand – more... correctly.
I've learned good and bad ways to be as a manager and it's not about what you say, it's how you say it.
Majority of my co-workers are great, but there's always a few bad apples in the bunch and those bad apples are unfortunately management.
The hardest part of the job is not having enough fleet and everyday supplies to do you job and handle business properly.
The most enjoyable part of my job is satisfying a customer. – less
Very productive work days, learn a lot at an accelerated pace.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Chicago, ILAugust 20, 2014
Pros: lunch breaks were flexible, learned at a fast pace, working with the public, transferable skills are more than likely obtained, lots of hours
Cons: lots of hours, no work life/personal life balance, low pay
During my short period of working for Hertz, I had both good and bad experiences. I loved learning a lot in short period of time and always being productive in a fast- paced environment, however I quickly realized that there was minimal, if any, work/life balance. The days were very long and the pay wasn't much at all. The company seems to always have – more... a problem with staffing, which is why full time employees are usually burned out from more than 60 hours a week of work. I learned a lot of valuable customer service skills, transferable skills, and what it meant to be a leader while being there and I am grateful for that experience. Management wasn't very helpful or encouraging as far as far as being with Hertz for the long run, also lack of communication or clear direction. My coworkers however, were very helpful. The hardest part of Hertz was time management when you were short a porter and had tons of cars to be cleaned and prepared for the day, this could be very stressful but other than that, you'd be fine. The most enjoyable part of the job were the customers. If you have a knack for meeting new people and being able to communicate and understand a customer's needs and demand of the business then Hertz is a perfect place for you to be! – less
fast paced job with opportunity to work with different cultures.
Flex Rep (Current Employee), Austin, TXAugust 19, 2014
Pros: customer interaction, meet new people everyday, discounts and health benefits.
Cons: long hours, no room for advancement.
Depending on where you are scheduled, outside helping customers in return is very hot weather and outside all day, or inside assisting customers with rentals based on their needs or reservation. I have learned a lot about sales and people in general working with customers from different cultures and nationalities. Me and most of my coworkers get along – more... and all try to work together to get the job done and make customer experiences an excellent one.
Hardest part of the job is not being able to have a life outside of work, due to the hours. Most enjoyable is the interaction with the customers and being able to meet their needs and put a smile on their faces. – less
tough workplace
Branch Manager (Current Employee), CAAugust 18, 2014
Although I gained very good experience, Hertz is a hard place to work. Long hours, usually 55+ a week and extremely understaffed. First couple months are somewhat enjoyable, but as you progress in the company and move upward, management seems to be less and less supportive.

A typical day at hertz: Clock in about 6:30 am, inventory fleet, run and analyze – more... about 6-10 reports daily. Conference call with area manager from 7:00 to about 7:20 to discuss fleet needs and sales numbers for individual branches. Open at 7:30 am and usually there are about 3-4 customers already waiting. Everyone at the branch is responsible for answering phones within three rings, even if you are with a customer. Most branches have three lines, and they are going off constantly throughout the day. There are various conference calls every day, and sometimes up to three or four. Very busy until it slows down from about 1:00-3:30 during which more reports are ran, customers are contacted, vehicles are cleaned. It gets extremely busy again from about 4:00 to close at 6:00. From 6:00 to about 7:00 cars are cleaned and we set up for the next day. This is five days a week, and saturday most branches are open from 9-12:00.

Hertz is not a bad place to work, especially out of college. One gains a lot of experience, but has to be willing to put in the long hours and work. It is a very high stress industry, but it can also be rewarding. The downfall is that most branches are understaffed due to the environment. – less
Friendly people
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Oklahoma City, OKAugust 15, 2014
Pros: low stress
Cons: worked at night
It's been quite a while since I've worked there, but remember everyone being very friendly and helpful. I remember the training was very thorough and we always had help when we needed it.
Resarching
Lien/Research Clerk (Current Employee), Oklahoma City, OKAugust 15, 2014
Pros: lots of researching
Cons: everything is not black and white
A typical day at work is review delinquent accounts, reviewing the state statues and make a decision making on how to handle the problem.

To handle a delinquent account. I must decide on the listed factors below.

1. Years in business
2. Credit risk rating
3. Average number of days payment
4. Overall payment history
5. The dollar amount owed.

It is – more... a challenge workload with many factors to consider. – less
OK place to work
Trainee Administrator/Assistant (Former Employee), Cranford, ENGAugust 15, 2014
This place was OK to work at but can't remember much as it was a long time ago
Daily changes
Manager in Training (Current Employee), Baytown, TXAugust 14, 2014
Cons: 60 hours a week/lack of lunches/lack of training.
Lack of advancement due to lack of training from on site manager. On site manager has a lack of direction. She gives you no opportunity to make your numbers in order to promote.
productive fun workplace
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee), redondo beach caAugust 11, 2014
great job no complaints great co workers and management nothing bad to say about company.
Awful
MT (Former Employee), MDAugust 11, 2014
Cons: everything
Unorganized and weird rules! Never enough cars to satisfy reservations. Unmaintained and unsafe cars. No car wash. We have to clean cars outside wearing long sleeve dress shirts and pants and a tie! Hertz is expanding by opening up locations but no cars and a few employees. Many locations are just empty! Really no one and no cars there. Very weird!

All – more... for 12.5/hr! – less
Multinational Banking institution.
Software QA Engineer (Current Employee), Park Ridge, NJAugust 11, 2014
you really will fill that you are working for multinational company

1 2 3 4 5

About The Hertz Corporation

Hertz operates its car rental business through the Hertz, Dollar, Thrifty and Firefly brands from approximately 11,555 corporate – Read more

The Hertz Corporation Photos