The Healthiest Home is Canada's premier supplier of environmentally friendly building products, services and complete healthy home construction solutions. We create homes that are personally and environmentally healthy and sustainable. For more information about HH, please visit: www.thehealthiesthome.com
TITLE: Carpenter / Site Lead
COMPANY: The Healthiest Home Inc. Construction
START DATE: Immediately
LOCATION: Ottawa, Ontario
The Healthiest Home is seeking an experienced Carpenter / Site Lead for our new building and renovation construction projects. In this role, the successful candidate will confidently and professionally interact with designers, consultants and clients, while directing all project-related trades. This individual will work closely with the General Manager of Construction and with Project Co-ordinators, fulfilling an integral role leading all aspects of project operations.
The successful candidate must demonstrate competence in safely executing work in accordance with the building plans and client expectations, while also working with management to complete projects on schedule, to budget and in alignment with company objectives.
The candidate will be a self-starter who combines “big picture” expertise with a detail-oriented approach, enabling them to complete projects from start to finish. They must be personable, a team leader and committed to the overall objectives of project success: work quality, budget, schedule, supporting the brand and maintaining happy clients. They should be looking for long-term growth in a quickly developing company and believe in the HH mandate: environmentally conscious building, innovative technologies & techniques and healthy, energy efficient homes.
Planning & scheduling
- Review project plans, specifications and construction site conditions. Comment on the building design, suggest possible cost savings measures and identify potential construction issues.
- Provide review of and feedback on the project schedule
- Complete take-offs and order supplies / materials as needed
- Inform the designer or management of any errors contained within the drawings
- Meet with sub-trades to clarify scope of work and to solicit quotations
- Monitor and maintain the project construction schedule on a weekly basis
- Ensure that “as-built” drawings or supplemental instructions are prepared, documented and added to plans on an ongoing basis, as needed
- Maintain and organize site documents (plans, reports, inspections), as required
- Develop, maintain and enforce quality control standards for construction staff, sub-trades, supplies and materials
- Monitor site safety on a continual basis, ensuring that Occupational Health & Safety Act requirements (along with other municipal and provincial standards) are enforced
- Ensure all required municipal inspections are performed
Site performance & management
- Perform carpentry and general construction tasks, as required, to meet deliverables
- Take action on & manage the results of delays, bad weather or emergencies at construction site
- Maintain the security and operation of job site equipment and tools
- Create efficient workflow by ensuring necessary project materials, equipment, tools and staff are always on site, when and as needed
- Provide comprehensive site planning, management and review
- Prepare project deficiency lists and complete in accordance with project schedule
To be considered for this position you must possess the following skills, attributes, and abilities:
- Minimum 7 years of relevant experience in the construction field
- Minimum 2 years of relevant experience in running and managing a job site
- Must have comprehensive understanding of construction terms, the Ontario Building Code, scheduling and planning concepts.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and internet applications
- Daily access to a vehicle.
The following traits would be a considerable asset:
- College or university degree in a construction related field
- Knowledge of Quebec construction protocol
- Ability to speak proficiently in both English and French
- Experience in green building products and practices
- Trade Certification / Red Seal
Please submit both a cover letter and resume with your application, referencing the position you are applying for and how you heard about the vacancy (no phone calls please). Only candidates considered for interviews will be contacted. Thank you for your interest in The Healthiest Home