The Good Samaritan Society Employee Reviews

Workload is high. Management is constantly changing and then new management comes in they make alot of changes to work load and care aide duties.
Care Aide (Current Employee) –  Salmon Arm, BC18 June 2017
Benefits are expensive. Management has there thumb pressed down on staff and it feels like you are never doing a good enough job no matter how organized and hard working you are. Nursing staff is great.
Pros
Co workers
Cons
Feeling depleted after every shift
Great Team, Great place to work
LPN (Current Employee) –  Vernon, BC25 February 2017
I have worked for Heron Grove since opening 2007. I love the interdisciplinary team I am privileged to be a part of. All staff are hard working and provide exceptional quality care. Most lines of work include 3 days off every other weekend which in health care is unheard of. Management is supportive of employees and understands work/life balance.
Pros
Job satisfaction, hours, rotations, staff
Very difficult management
Employee (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 January 2017
I worked there for almost a decade and was treated without respect. I was among the over 60 people to be laid off, and then they subsequently rehired. A not-for-profit that acts like a fortune 500 company.
Month Long Practicum
Practicum Student (Former Employee) –  Stony Plain, AB20 December 2016
All and all great experience
- Leant how to organize clients care plans
- The Staff were very nice , answer and helped with all care
- The day was hard to get used to but as the month want along it got easier as i was leaning
Ask around before you apply to work for GSS.
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB9 November 2016
I have many years of experience and would consider myself highly educated. As a former employee of GSS I would advise any prospective applicants to ask around before tendering their application. They have a high turnover in staff and this should tell you something about them.
Pros
Nice facility, patients, and patient families.
Cons
Gossiping, Victim Blaming, Poor Reputation, Recalcitrant Management, Poor Attitude, Poor Support, Poor Teamwork, Paradoxical Policies
Negative atmosphere, unsupportive management
RN, Care coordination (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB28 April 2016
I worked at Good Sams in Medicine Hat as an RN. The management was accusatory and the staff that had worked longer term in the facility were not welcoming and unwilling to assist new employees for the most part. There was a culture of gossip and negativity. The patients were the bright side of this job. High turnover and workload was too high, therefore ability to perform tasks effectively was difficult.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Poor management, poor recognition, unwelcoming to new staff.
job security...needs to upgrade some amenities in the building
Health Care Aide, Dietary Aide (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 February 2016
In the scale of 1 to 10 I rate The Good Samaritan society 8. Management should also take into considerations about the well-being of its workers and needs to upgrade some amenities and equipments that is related to the care of the patients. Rooms, lights, hallways, dining and recreational activities for the patients care. I love to work here and this is some of my recommendations to make this place more fun and conducive for workers and seniors who lived here.
Pros
we are getting recognitions from the management and we feel that we are being valued here.
Cons
regular hours, offers overtime pay for employees, issues on shortages of staff needs to be addressed.
great work place
Health Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Park Meadows21 October 2015
Its been great working at good sam the management and everyone was great. i learned a lot, i get along with my co workers easily and enjoyed what i do.
friendly, helpful co workers
Health Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 October 2015
I enjoyed working here,staff at every level were friendly and helpful.It was very busy and the nursing staff was efficient and willing to work together to overcome staff shortages or patient workload.The hardest part was where we didn't have enough staff, but the best part was the camaraderie between staff.
Pros
staff pot luck lunches, team activities.
Cons
staff shortages
Excellent workplace.
Health Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 September 2014
I really enjoyed working at this facility, the staff and management were very professional and hard working. they were very flexible and understanding of my status as a single mom of 4 children. The pay was competitive and fair, with excellent medical benefits.

A typical day involved helping the residents with morning care and assisting them to breakfast, then afterward portering some residents to appointments with physiotherapy or bath/shower . The afternoon involved helping residents to their rooms and transferring them to bed for short naps, changing disposable briefs and offering to assist to bathroom. Before our shift ended we ensured the residents with diabetic needs had their snacks, and double checked with other residents to make sure they were safe and comfortable.

I learned time management in this position, effective use of my time with residents was important. The most difficult part of the job was when we were short staffed, and then had to take on extra duties to make up for the absence.i made good friends and my co-workers were very friendly and co-operative.
Pros
medical benefits.
Cons
frequently short staffed.
Fun place to work at.
Business Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  The Good Samaritan Society12 May 2014
The staff at the Good Samaritan Society are a fun bunch of people to work with. They are always positive and have a great outlook to everything they tackle.

Learnt the Electronic Medical Records (EMR) system and all the different aspects of a physicians workload. I found this very interesting.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
The culture of the organization is now changing and there is a lot of unrest between staff.
Team Work, supportive
Recruitment Assistant (Volunteer) (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 May 2014
Very nice team I had to work with, helpful and knowledgeable..
Excellent staff
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 February 2014
I enjoyed the atmosphere and co-workers found the work to be enjoyable and the Good Samaritan Society was an excellent learning experience.
Truck Driver
Transport Driver (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 November 2013
This Job was certainly different for me. I was standing most of the time shredding documents in the back of a 5 ton truck. It was very dusty and some what noisy. There was a lot of lifting which kept me in great shape. The company's client tell consisted of banks, lawyers offices and Government.
Pros
I was valued by my clients
Cons
Hard work and lousy pay