The Good Samaritan Society

The Good Samaritan Society Employee Reviews in Canada

Negative atmosphere, unsupportive management
RN, Care coordination (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, ABApril 28, 2016
I worked at Good Sams in Medicine Hat as an RN. The management was accusatory and the staff that had worked longer term in the facility were not welcoming and unwilling to assist new employees for the most part. There was a culture of gossip and negativity. The patients were the bright side of this job. High turnover and workload was too high, therefore ability to perform tasks effectively was difficult.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Poor management, poor recognition, unwelcoming to new staff.
friendly, helpful co workers
Health Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABOctober 13, 2015
I enjoyed working here,staff at every level were friendly and helpful.It was very busy and the nursing staff was efficient and willing to work together to overcome staff shortages or patient workload.The hardest part was where we didn't have enough staff, but the best part was the camaraderie between staff.
Pros
staff pot luck lunches, team activities.
Cons
staff shortages
great work place
Health Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Park MeadowsOctober 21, 2015
Its been great working at good sam the management and everyone was great. i learned a lot, i get along with my co workers easily and enjoyed what i do.
Fun place to work at.
Business Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  The Good Samaritan SocietyMay 12, 2014
The staff at the Good Samaritan Society are a fun bunch of people to work with. They are always positive and have a great outlook to everything they tackle.

Learnt the Electronic Medical Records (EMR) system and all the different aspects of a physicians workload. I found this very interesting.
Pros
great people to work with
Cons
the culture of the organization is now changing and there is a lot of unrest between staff.
Truck Driver
Transport Driver (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABNovember 25, 2013
This Job was certainly different for me. I was standing most of the time shredding documents in the back of a 5 ton truck. It was very dusty and some what noisy. There was a lot of lifting which kept me in great shape. The company's client tell consisted of banks, lawyers offices and Government.
Pros
i was valued by my clients
Cons
hard work and lousy pay
Awful management and work load.
Health Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Penticton, BCAugust 15, 2013
Management doesn't care about staff or residents safety and health. 1 resident to 10 care aides, no help when needed. Expects 1 person to do a 2 person job but then won't take responsibility when something goes wrong.
I wouldn't recommend working here.
Excellent workplace.
Health Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 17, 2014
I really enjoyed working at this facility, the staff and management were very professional and hard working. they were very flexible and understanding of my status as a single mom of 4 children. The pay was competitive and fair, with excellent medical benefits.

A typical day involved helping the residents with morning care and assisting them to breakfast, then afterward portering some residents to appointments with physiotherapy or bath/shower . The afternoon involved helping residents to their rooms and transferring them to bed for short naps, changing disposable briefs and offering to assist to bathroom. Before our shift ended we ensured the residents with diabetic needs had their snacks, and double checked with other residents to make sure they were safe and comfortable.

I learned time management in this position, effective use of my time with residents was important. The most difficult part of the job was when we were short staffed, and then had to take on extra duties to make up for the absence.i made good friends and my co-workers were very friendly and co-operative.
Pros
medical benefits.
Cons
frequently short staffed.
Excellent staff
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 13, 2014
I enjoyed the atmosphere and co-workers found the work to be enjoyable and the Good Samaritan Society was an excellent learning experience.
Team Work, supportive
Recruitment Assistant (Volunteer) (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 5, 2014
Very nice team I had to work with, helpful and knowledgeable..