Being part of The Globe and Mail team requires a passion for excellence and an unwavering commitment to innovate in a fast-paced and dynamically evolving environment. Demonstrating these characteristics in the workplace every day is what makes our people the foundation of our success.
We support a culture in which employees can live their ideals, develop their abilities, creatively contribute to the success of the organization and be recognized, appreciated and rewarded for doing so. If you are the best in your field, we'd like to hear from you.
Branch/Location Office : Globe HQ - 444 Front St. W., Toronto, ON
Title : Data Analyst
Position Overview : The Data Analyst will maintain and enhance the big data platform that enables real time analytics and data science - supporting the marketing, sales, advertising departments and other areas of the organization.
Responsibilities : The Data Analyst (under the leadership of the Manager, Digital Analytics and Data Sciences) will manipulate multi-terabyte size data in our Amazon Hadoop environment and have opportunities to learn new cutting-edge technologies. Projects will include developing ETL processes, build production versions of prototype code, running reports against big data, interfacing with APIs, and prototyping dashboards that surface key data points sourced from our Big Data platform.
This position will be critical in supporting the continued evolution of the Globe in Mail into a highly data driven business.
- Passionate about data
- Experience or interest in learning Hadoop/Pig/MapReduce is a must
- Experience with data analysis; able to both write sophisticated SQL queries and interpret the results
- Bachelors or higher in Computer Science or related discipline
- Minimum 3-5 years of experience working with complex data
- Excellent time management skills and attention to detail
- Strong understanding of data structures & data processing techniques
- Solid ETL development experience with Java, Python or similar technologies
- Strong Linux/Unix command line terminal data manipulation experience
- Hands on experience with various tools/systems in Amazon Web Services preferred
- Experience with Data warehousing architecture, performance tuning, and data modeling best practices
- Familiarity of NoSQL database, such as Cassandra, HBase, MongoDB etc.
- Familiarity with data mining/machine learning preferred
Functional Area : ADVERTISING
Job Status : Full Time Regular
Salary Range: $75000 - $95000 / year
Comprehensive benefits package.